- Text Size +
8

When the car jerked me awake, at first I thought I was on a bus. Maybe on a little junior high tour like we had done only a few weeks prior. That had been such an adrenaline rush for us, little girls screaming our names. The fact that they even KNEW our names was a weird thing. but they screamed them out in complete and utter yearning. Excellent. I was very excited. Afterall theses ladies were my age. The other guys, especially Kevin probably felt a little awkward but not me. Nope I loved it.

So when we came to such an abrupt stop, I was sure I was going to fall right out of my bunk and onto the floor. That wouldn't have been the first time either. But instead of that happening, the jerk of someone's body ramming into mine followed by a swear word that made me realize it was AJ, woke me up and back to reality.

We weren't on a bus on our way to see another batch of hormonal junior high girls, we were in a van with a psycho who was kidnapping us.

"Drive much?" I heard AJ say under his breath.

"What was that McLean?" Jim said turning around very fast.

"Uh... nothing I said Nick smells"

"You better have"

"What happened?" Brian asked from the way back where he was sitting before we stopped short. Now he was on the floor.

"I must have hit a bump in the road" He said, "Sorry guys but we are going to have to take a little detour. Luckily I have a cabin right around here"

"Well, that's a bit of a coinkeedink, don't you think?" I asked no one in particular.

"Shut up!" Jim yelled with such ferocity that everyone stopped breathing I think.

"Sorry guys, I know you have been seeing my temper lately, I apologize"

"That's okay" Howie said with his calming voice.

"Why don't we just call to have someone come out and help us?" Kevin asked maybe thinking that us going to his place was a little more then coincidence too.

"No, trust me Kevin, we are almost there okay?"

"That's ridiculous man I mean I have my cell phone right here.." Howie said attempting to take out his cellphone. He always kept it in his carry on bag. Always.

Jim started getting nervous, "NO Howie, we are really almost there. As a matter of fact, we can get out and walk there"

"Howie wasn't listening though he was too busy concentrating on finding his cellphone, now throwing things around the van frantically.

"I don't understand, it was in here before we left. I put it in here myself"

"Maybe it fell out" AJ said now looking around the floor of the van.

"NO way, it was in here. I know it was"

"Jesus Christ would the two of you stop. I said we are going to my cabin and that is final!!!" He yelled.

The way Kevin flinched I could tell he knew what I had been thinking all along,

He is about to lose his cool again.

"Jim, man calm down it's okay" Kevin said trying to put an arm on the older man. He swatted Kevin away.

Howie was still looking for his phone. "It was a present from my Mom, if I lost it she will kill me. It was here. I know it was!"

"That's it" Jim said and closing his car door and starting the van once again, he turned it around and headed straight into the woods.

"AHHHHH!" We all pretty much screamed. All of Howie's belongings now falling everywhere in the van.

"What the hell are you doing?" Kevin was screaming at Jim, he wouldn't listen though, just kept on driving through the thick grass and over the twigs and bushes.

"Jim you are going to kill us!" Howie said. I wanted to say something like that but whenever I opened my mouth I could only manage a scream.

Finally he stopped the car and once again we all went sailing out of our seats, not having any time to put on a seat belt. I think he was hoping we would have managed to knock ourselves out or something because he seemed disappointed when he heard us all moan.

I was grateful. I was worried that Kevin was going to fly through the windshield. Luckily he had the common sense to keep his seat belt on. If that was me, I would have flown right out of the car.

Jim unfastened his safety belt and exited the car. "Okay guys, the cabin is right up here a little ways" He said now suddenly calm.

The guys had a light bulb moment. Finally..

"That's okay, why don't you go and we'll stay behind, maybe Howie will find his phone and then we can get someone to help us out" That had been Kevin.

Jim was in the middle of walking towards the dirt path that most likely led to his little cabin in the woods, but stopped at Kevin's suggestion. He turned slowly, methodically and his smile made me cringe.

The jig was up boys.

"Kevin, just follow me and no one will get hurt"

"Why would someone get hurt?" Howie asked now slowly walking to stand behind Kevin.

"Just do what I say" I felt a comforting hand on my shoulder. I turned to see Brian standing right behind me. I think they finally realized something was really wrong.

"Jim? did you take Howie's cellphone?" AJ asked.

"Look, I am only going to say this ONE more time, follow me right now, otherwise we do it the hard way" I looked at him, expecting at any moment to see him pull a gun but nothing like that happened. Instead he used me as a weapon. He walked right by Brian and pushed him down, grabbing me by the collar of my shirt.

"Hey!" Kevin said moving forward.

"Hey nothing, now MOVE!!" He said. As he pulled me along side him. The others looked confused, as confused as I looked when I first figured out what was happening.

"Either you guys stay here or you come. Either way the kid is coming with me. You choose" He said as he began to walk away with me in his grasp.

They were SO just going to leave me behind. Probably have a celebration of some sort. Yeah the runt is now living with a madman in the woods. Excellent. It's funny, the kinds of things you think about when in an emergency situation.

They were following us. Thank God.

I had my doubts, but in the end I guess I knew they would come. So he lured us up into his cabin. NO master plan, no guns or knives..yet anyway, and no entourage of people helping. He lured us because of me...