- Text Size +
9
The trek up to the cabin was a bit treacherous. It was dawn so luckily we were able to see, but it was still shadowy and dark along the outskirts of the little dirt path. I was afraid that at any second he was going to shove me off the path leaving me alone in the dark creepy forest. His hold on my shirt was really choking me and his fast pace was making it hard for my little feet to keep up with him. There were times he was flat out dragging me along.

"Jim, are we almost there?" Howie called from behind.

He didn't answer, just kept walking. I tripped once again making him mad as he pulled me behind him.

"How about you let him walk on his own now? We are following you" Kevin said.

"Fine!" Jim said and before I knew what he was going to do, he dropped me to the floor.

Brian came running over to me, "You okay Nick?" He asked. I was massaging my neck. My body was already sore from yesterday. Now it hurt even worse. Kevin and Brian helped me to my feet. "Stick by me little man" Kevin whispered as we continued to follow Jim up the path towards his house.

"What do you think is going to happen up there Kev?" Brian asked barely saying the words at all.

"I don't know" He said, never taking his eyes off the rocky terrain we were crossing.

"We can turn to run you know" AJ said now moving to walk right behind the three of us. Howie a little behind him.

"Run where?"

"Just turn around and run for it"

"I don't think it would be that easy"

"He's right it wouldn't be" Jim had said now standing right next to us.

"You just showed me you guys can't be trusted" He said. Kevin went to punch him. Jim ducked out of the way and punched Kevin square in the jaw. He landed with a thump on the ground.

"So you wanna play rough boy?" He asked once again moving towards Kevin. AJ tried to take him down next but he was pushed aside like a pile of twigs.

"Do you guys think I'm that stupid?" He asked, now pulling Kevin to his feet. He had a bloody nose. Kevin wouldn't give up and once again tried to take Jim down. Not thinking, I tried to get involved as well. The next thing you knew we were all on top of Jim.

Kevin had his arms pinned, Howie was sitting on his legs, Brian and AJ were sitting on his back and I took the liberty of kicking him in the side.

"Get the hell off of me!" He was screaming.

"What now?" AJ asked as Jim continued to kick and scream.

"Nick...run back to the car and try to get help!" Kevin ordered.

"By myself?" I asked. There was no way I was going back the way we had come all by myself back through the woods.

"Nick! Go, hurry!" I just stood there while they all looked at me. Jim struggling under their weight.

"Dammit GO!!" AJ yelled.

"If you go you're dead kid. You understand? Dead!" Jim threatened.

I froze.

"He's not going anywhere" I heard come from just a little passed where we were going. I could have saved us, but I froze. Now as the person who owned that voice stepped into the light carrying a rifle, I realized I had missed my chance.

He walked over to the rest of the guys and aimed the gun at them, "Get off of him boys" Which they all did.

Jim got up and wiped off the leaves that ended up all over him. "Put the fucking gun away Jeremy" Jim hissed.

"It's a good thing for you that I had this thing with me" He said. Jim wasn't listening at all.

"Now MOVE!!" He said once again grabbing onto me this time opting to carry me sideways making me feel totally little and helpless.

The man Jim called Jeremy was now walking behind us holding the rifle, ready to shoot.

I decided to keep my eyes closed for the rest of the walk. The bouncing and being held almost upside down were making me queasy. I also couldn't tolerate looking at my band mates. They were probably steamed at me. Who could blame them.

We walked for what felt like an hour. I know it was probably less, but to me, time seemed endless. No one said a word. Not even AJ. We were all quiet as mice. We ended up leaving the path and walking in the woods. Luckily by then it was very sunny. Otherwise I would have had an anxiety attack. Not that being held upside down by a crazy guy wasn't cause for an anxiety attack, but at least I wasn't alone.

"We're here boys, your new home until we get everything figured out" Jim said once again plopping me to the ground. I used my elbows to block the fall this time so it wasn't that bad.

The other guy, Jeremy, unlocked the door to the cabin and pushed us all inside. It was small. There were three cots. I mean little tiny cots, one longish wooden table with a bench on either side, a fireplace, a small stove and refrigerator and a teeny tiny bathroom.

"I hope you like it, this will be your new home together for the next few days"

"Jim, you mind telling us what in the hell is going on?" Kevin asked taking in his new surrounding.

"All you need to know is that this is business. That's all. Once I get what I want, you can go. Simple as that"

"You kidnapped us man! There's nothing simple about that" AJ yelled. Jim turned towards him and smiled.

"Borrowed AJ...I borrowed you. That's all"

"It's only going to be a matter of time before Lou calls..."

"The police? Your parents?" He let out a laugh along with the other guy.

"Please, Lou won't do that, besides. Your parents are aware that you will be somewhere for at least a week with no phone or contact to the outside world. I told them you were going to a little cabin in the woods out in the middle of nowhere. They seemed fine with the idea"

I know it's probably bad of me to say this, but when Jim said our parents had no clue, I was relieved. It was almost like besides still being taken captive, I had nothing to worry about. Sick huh?

"So, you have plenty of food in here. Towels, blankets, anything you might need. Think of this as a forced vacation okay?"

"Are you staying?" Brian asked, first looking my way then back towards Jim.

"No, you will be on your own for the time being but Jeremy and I will take turns spending quality time with you. Jeremy went to go get your bags from the car" He said going over to the fridge and taking out a beer.

We kind of all just sat on the floor looking up at the ceiling. Jim was sitting on one of the benches with his feet up on the table. Looking like this was a normal day for him. Maybe it was.

"Do you do this often?" I found myself stupidly blurting out. All eyes looked over at me.

"Pardon?"

"I said, do you do this often?"

"Yes, I often take little boys up to my cabin in the woods" He said it jokingly but you could tell none of us really thought he was kidding.

"Relax, you guys are a bargaining tool"

More silence until Jeremy finally stumbled in cursing under his breath and carrying our bags. He dropped them to the floor.

"God you kids have a lot of shit"

"I told you, they are spoiled rotten" Jim said getting up and putting his jacket on.

"Okay guys, have fun. Don't kill each other. I will be back tonight or early tomorrow" Before any of us could object, he and Jeremy were out the door. Kevin tried to follow but it was being padlocked from the outside.

"Um...so what now?" I asked. None of them said a word.

"Guys? So what do we do now?" They all just stared at me....