- Text Size +
::: I’d sure hate to break down here// Nothing up ahead or in the rear view mirror// Out in the middle of nowhere knowin// I’m in trouble of these wheels stop rollin// God help me keep me moving somehow// Don’t let me start wishing I was with him now// I’ve made it this far without crying a single tear// I’d sure hate to break down here :::


Jordan was half way down the freeway by noon. Out on the open road she was. Jordan was scared of moving on at first but she is now enjoying the freedom of the road. Being out on her own meant finding her independence, not being as dependent on Alan as she was. It was time for her to be her own boss and not listen to what other people say, or do this was her time to shine. Jordan was now in Kentucky heading southbound towards Tennessee. As she listened to a local radio station her favorite song came on and that’s when reality hit her…


She needs wide open spaces// Room to make her big mistakes// She needs new faces// She knows the highest stakes// She traveled this road as a child// Wide eyed and grinning she never tired// But now she won’t be coming back with the rest// If these are life’s lessons// She’ll take this test




Jordan sang in her car. As Jordan looked in her rearview mirror there wasn’t anyone there not a single car, bus, truck, there was nothing.


“Man I would hate to get stuck out here…no one would be able to help me,” she said to herself. Jordan started to think without even knowing it. She started to think about her situation she was in…all the things she had accomplished over the years working for the magazine. She had numerous awards for her outstanding articles. Jordan was indeed proud of them too. But there was always something deep down inside of her that told her this wasn’t the right job for her. But she had always seemed to ignore it until now. Something told her to go for her dreams. This time no one could tell her no, she was her own boss and that’s the way it was going to be from now on. Her and Alan were the perfect couple they had everything in common. They liked the same movies, music and even books anything you named they both probably liked it. But once Jordan had landed what she called her ‘dream job’ it all kind of came crashing down. Alan started to get distant and not talk to Jordan about their problems. He would just keep them locked up to the point where they wouldn’t talk anymore. And that’s when it started- the cheating. Jordan of course was devastated when she found out. She couldn’t trust him who could blame her right? And sure enough their whole relationship had fallen apart. They tried many times to rekindle what they had, but before long it would just end up falling to pieces all over again. And that’s when it all ended all the love they had for so many years, three years to be exact, just went down the drain. But Jordan never fully recovered she promised herself to never trust a guy ever again. Even though she has had dates here and there but no one she had ever really been interested in. They all were the same to her.


As Jordan got further and further down the lonely highway she realized her car was starting to act up something just wasn’t right. She pulled over and just to her luck she had a flat tire and the worst part- she didn’t have a spare.


“Why is this happening to me? Is this some sort of sign?” she asked herself. And then is must have been a miracle cause someone was coming down the road,” Thank God” It was a beat up old Ford truck. She flagged the truck down. As the truck pulled over she ran over to it and saw the most beautiful blue eyes she had ever seen.


“Hi thank you for stopping…I have flat and I don’t have a spare,” she looked more closely at the stranger before her taking in all the facial features, and not to mention the muscles hiding under the tight white t-shirt he was wearing.


“It’s okay miss I live about 30 miles from here in a little town called Wineme it’s the nearest town from here,” she loved the accent too…so refreshing from what she had been used to in New York.


“Thank you so much sir…I appreciate it”


“You can call me Brian…and what might your name be?”


“Jordan…Jordan Kelly,” he smiled as Jordan got into the car. Normally she wouldn’t do this, but at this point it was her only option.


“So what are you doing out here on this lonely highway?”


“Oh just looking for my dreams I guess you can call it,”


“Where did you live?”


“New York City…I was a journalist for a teen magazine there. But that’s not what my heart wanted me to do. So I packed my bags and to head south in the search of something new,” she explained.


“I admire you for that Jordan,”


“Thank you” They were now traveling on the open road together once they reached Wineme Jordan never realized how small this town really was.


“It’s a lot different from where I come from,”


“I am sure…you are used to the big city life like New York City, but here it’s peaceful and clam…and plus I have never really been fond of big cities anyway.”


“Well New York is a lovely city you should go there sometime,” Jordan smiled he just smiled back. They finally pulled up to a small gray house with lots of chickens running around. It was quiet something different from what she was used to that’s for sure.


“Well this is my home”


“It’s so quiet but it’s nice for once,” Jordan said as she got out of the truck


“Very quiet and peaceful, but you’ll get used to it after a while,”



The night started to come and so did the fog. Brian came in with a cup of warm milk.


“Here…I thought I would bring you this. It will help you sleep tonight.” He handed her the cup.


“Thank you Brian I haven’t had warm milk since I was a little girl”


“Your are welcome…well I am going to hit the sack I have a big day tomorrow. So I will see you in the morning. Good night Jordan,”


“Thanks again Brian and good night to you too,” Jordan watched Brian disappear down the hall. Jordan was really starting to like it out here. It was a different lifestyle but also something she could very well get used to. She liked the fact it was so quiet and peaceful there were no car horns, no rude people just the quietness of the small town. She knew this was the place she was going to love. This could be the start of a new beginning.


Song Credits to "Break Down Here" By:Julie Roberts Album: Julie Roberts & "Wide Open Spaces" By: Dixie Chicks Album: Wide Open Spaces