- Text Size +
Disclaimer: I forgot about this on my other stories posted here, so I'll take the easy way out. Refer to the disclaimer at the bottom of this site. :)

Author's Notes: This story is not yet beta read, but will be. You can find more BSB stories by me on my website: www.dataportarchives.com/bscrossroads/index.php



Prologue




Darkness.

Total, utter... Darkness.

The figure pulled his knees up further toward his chest, his arms tightening their grip about them. Shivers of cold and fear trembled through his form as he rested his chin on his knees, his eyes sliding shut in an effort to make it all go away.

Lightning flashed and thunder rolled, a hot/cold wind kicking up to buffet the figure. The blast of rushing wind hit him head on and gushed through his short blond hair as he clenched his eyes tight, lips pressing together.

As the cold rain began to fall, the figure whimpered. He scooted back against the large tree in an effort to escape the cold liquid now pounding down on him. His eyes still closed, he tried to blank out his surroundings. He tried to picture himself home. Home in the nice, well lit safety it offered. Home with his family and not lost in the middle of nowhere. Oh, how he wished he'd never left. He was sorry. So very, VERY sorry. He wanted to go home. Home would make everything all right.

Home...

A loud crack of thunder caused him to jump, his arms breaking their hold on his legs to instinctively shield his face. His head turned away as if expecting a blow, his form freezing in that protective position. As the rumble died away, he slowly lowered his arms. He placed his hands on either side of himself on the muddy ground. Slowly, he peeled his eyes open, the blue color vibrant as his chest heaved in panicked gasps of air.

Eyes wide, he took in his surroundings. Nothing, but blackness. What little he could discern, he wish he couldn't. The shapes moved in the night, causing his chest to tighten in apprehension.

God. He knew something was out there. He just knew it.

Trees creaked in the wind and he cringed. He looked up at the sky and just couldn't absorb how black it was. The clouds covered everything. No stars. No moon. Nothing. The only light came from the lightning, and he didn't exactly consider that a good kind of light. It scared the crap out of him. How it would just jump out at you without any warning. Atleast with thunder, you knew it was coming, you just didn't know how loud.

Ghostly movement flashed in the corner of his eye and his head snapped in that direction, lips parting in a gasp. His blue eyes darted, frantic and terror-stricken.

Something was out there.

Shaking, he pushed against the tree's support, wanting to disappear within it. Something cried out in the night and he slapped his hands over his ears, eyes snapping shut. He shook his head.

Nothing is there. Nothing is there. Nothing is there...

Lighting and thunder hit again and he shuddered, pressing his hands harder against his ears.

"Stop..." he croaked softly, "Please... stop..."

A soft sob escaped his lips and he gasped in a breath, a tear escaping one of his clenched eyes to slide down his rain slicked cheek. Hastily, he removed one of his hands from his ears and briskly wiped the tear away.

Then he heard it. His eyes flew open and his arms wrapped about his chest. Oh, God. What was out there? He saw something move. He scooted away from it. Something else moved in the darkness. He scooted back the other way. He couldn't get away. He shut his eyes, softly pleading to go home.

Something grabbed his arm and he screamed...

~< ---()--- >~


He bolted upright, coming abruptly awake as his forehead slammed into the bunk above him, abruptly cutting his scream short. He brought his right hand to his smarting head as his eyes peeled open, fear still brightening their depths as he panted in terror.

He then realized something had him by the left arm and a voice was talking. Panicking, he shrugged the grip roughly off and shied away, pressing his form to the bus' wall. He closed his eyes and listened.

"Nick?" asked the voice, heavy with concern, "Hey, Frack... you okay?"

Nick released a shuddering breath, letting his eyes open to take in the morning light streaming through his bunk's small window. When he spoke, his voice was soft and shaky, "I'm fine, Brian."

Brian raised his eyebrows, "Yeah, right. I come in here to get yer lazy ass up and find you running a marathon in yer sleep. Then when I try and wake you, you scream bloody murder!" Brian stared at Nick, "That must 'ave been one hell of a nightmare, Nicky."

Nick laid back down with a sigh, finally looking at Brian, "I guess you could say that."

Brian's expression was sincere, "You wanna talk about it? It'll help."

"No," Nick answered rather quickly, looking away, "I can't remember it anyway."

Brian looked doubtful, "You sure?"

Nick nodded, "I'm sure." He glanced around, "The other guys already up?"

Brian smiled, "Yeah, we're almost at the hotel, too. I thought I'd tell ya breakfast's almost ready. Howie's cookin', so it should be pretty good."

Nick forced a smile as he looked up at Brian, "Obviously, since he's the only one of us who can cook!"

Brian laughed, "True. Well, c'mon. I can already smell it!"

Nick pushed Brian in the shoulder, "You go on, I'll be there in a bit."

"All right, " said Brian, standing. Before leaving, he gave Nick one last look of concern, "Are you sure you're okay?"

Nick sighed loudly, "I'm fine! Now, get!"

"Okay, okay!" placated Brian, "I'm goin'!"

As soon as Brian was out of sight, Nick let the fear show on his face. He closed his eyes and rubbed his face with his hands. God, he didn't need this to start again. Not the nightmares. Not again. He thought they were gone long ago.

Nick dropped his hands on his chest as he stared blankly up at the top bunk, his mind going back in time. He blinked and let several tears slide into his cropped blond hair. One thought filled his mind, the cause of all his fear.

God, I hate the dark.