- Text Size +
Author's Notes: I'm not afraid to say that I got this idea from the SciFi show Sliders. If you've seen the show, you see what it inspired in this story.





Prologue





“What the hell is that?”

“I have no idea, AJ,” replied Nick, eyeing the strange device before him.

“Well,” informed Brian, looking over Nick’s shoulder, “We found it in your attic, Frack. You should know.”

Nick raised an eyebrow, “Bri’, half the stuff in here is three times older than me. How the hell should I know?”

CRASH!

“OW! Damn it!” cried AJ, several objects flying through the attic’s hazy air as he threw them off of himself. He scrambled back to his feet, hands whapping his pants in an effort to clean the 50 year old dust off. “Nick, remind me what the hell we’re doin’ up here? ‘Cause right now, I’ll either die fallin’ over this junk or from suffocation.” As if to accent his words, AJ hit his chest creating a billow of dust, he sneezed.

“Bless you,” came Howie’s distant voice, then the sound of hollow footsteps on hard wood steps reached AJ, “It’s your fault we’re here, AJ.”

“Me?!” gasped AJ, watching Kevin and Howie reach the top of the stairs, “How you figure that?”

Kevin smiled, “You’re the one that made the offer to help Nick clean his attic.”

“Oh, well,” scoffed AJ, crossing his arms stubbornly, “It ain’t my fault he’s blond and took me seriously.”

“Hey!” yelled Nick from behind a crate, “I heard that!”

“Yeah, so?” deadpanned AJ, then he threw his arms out, “I’m sick of this! I wanna go do somethin’ else, catch a movie or somethin’.”

Kevin and Howie now stand beside AJ, their eyes taking in the cluttered, dust covered attic. They had to squint their eyes to see through the dusty air, the only sources of light being several windows, the mid afternoon sun streaming through the glass and into the attic in long beams.

Howie looked at Kevin, “Ya know, I think I’m gonna agree with AJ.”

Kevin nodded, “It’ll take ‘til Christmas to clean this place.”

“Brian,” came Nick’s voice, “I don’t think you should touch that.”

“Why not?”

“’Cause I don’t know what the hell it is! I’ve never seen it before.”

Howie looked at AJ, “Seen what?”

AJ shrugged, “Brian and Nick found some weird thingamajig, they don’t know what it is. It kinda looks like a TV, it’s got a remote anyways.”

“Ouch!” came Brian’s voice.

“I told you not to touch it,” smiled Nick’s voice.

Kevin, Howie, and AJ start over to where Nick and Brian stand, tripping over one thing or another several times. They were just reaching them when AJ’s foot gets tangled in an old basketball net and he falls forward, “Son of a-”

AJ didn’t finish as he slammed into the back of Nick, “Hey!”

AJ let out a grunt as he hit the dusty floor, hearing a crash ahead of him. When the dust settled he looked up, seeing Nick sprawled on the floor after being propelled into the weird thingamajig.

“Hey ‘J, you all right?” asked Howie, he and Kevin grabbing AJ and lifting him off the floor.

“Yeah, I’m okay.”

Brian kneeled beside Nick, “Hey Nick, you okay?”

Nick groaned and raised a hand to massage his head, he grimaced and looked at Brian, “Ow.”

Brian laughed, “That a yes or no?”

Nick winced, then nodded his head, “I guess I’m okay.” He then sent a glare at AJ, “No thanks to Mr. Graceful over there.”

“Hey! It ain’t my fault you’re a slob!”

Nick ignored him, shifting where he laid and wincing again. He frowned, “I’m layin’ on somethin’.”

AJ smirked, “Yeah, Kaos, it’s called a floor.”

“Shut up,” snapped Nick, picking himself off the floor with Brian’s help. He then looked at where he used to be laying, “Hey, it’s that weird remote.”

Nick picked it up and looked at it, some of the buttons suddenly started flashing in green colored lights, “Whoa! It wasn’t doing that before!” Nick threw the remote at Brian.

“Hey! I don’t want it!” Brian threw it at Kevin, who threw it at Howie, who then threw it at AJ.

AJ caught it, “What’s the deal? It’s just some stupid remote.”

“Hey, uh... guys?” came Nick’s nervous voice. They looked to him, seeing him backing away from the TV-thingamajig. It was now glowing a bright sparkling green, white beams of light shooting out from it.

“What the hell?!?” cried AJ, his eyes wide and hands firmly gripping the remote.

“Ahh! Get it off!” cried Nick, his hands clawing at his arms and chest, which after being hit by one of the white beams, started to change into bright sparkling green light.

“Kevin! What’s happening?!?” yelled Brian, staring at his arms and chest as they now changed like Nick’s, the strange glowing green light spreading over him.

“I don’t know!” replied Kevin, his eyes frantic as he watched his own body turn into the green light.

“This is seriously freaking me out!” strained Howie, his voice filled with fear as he too became covered by the light.

AJ stared in silence at what was happening to his friends, shocked to look at himself to see the same sparkling green light spreading over him.

All five singers screamed as the sparkling green glow consumed their forms, white bands of light suddenly shooting from their green illuminated figures until the white light merged into one bright white beam and with a blinding flash and snap...


...the Backstreet Boys disappeared...