- Text Size +
The guys stayed where they were as several police cars surrounded them, a fire engine and ambulance not far behind. They watched in stunned silence as the once deserted parking lot filled with the chaotic scene of fire hoses and firefighters, police officers and EMTs. Several EMTs approached the guys and assessed them for injuries, soon surrounding an overwhelmed Nick, seeing to his head injury.

Nick began to panic and gazed pleadingly at his friends. Brian kneeled down beside him, talking to keep Nick distracted from the bustling atmosphere that now surrounded them. Nick stared at Brian as if he were his lifeline, seeing no one but his best friend at the moment. He couldn’t believe what was happening.


Kevin stood when a police officer approached them. The officer was tall with short black hair that was graying at the temples. He stopped before Kevin and reached a hand out, Kevin shook it as the officer introduced himself, “Police Chief O’Rielly. Wanna tell me what happened here?”

“Well, sir,” answered Kevin, nodding to his destroyed car, “Someone blew up my car.”

A smile formed on O’Rielly’s distinguished face, “I can see that, son. Any ideas why?”

Kevin looked down at the EMTs that still surrounded Nick, “Unfortunately, I have plenty.”

O’Rielly raised an eyebrow, “Really? Care to share them?”

Kevin launched into the whole story, telling O’Rielly everything. The kidnapping, their time in the wilderness of Alaska, the woman, how they managed to overpower their captors, and that the woman was arrested.

Kevin shook his head when he finished, raising a hand to massage his neck, “That was almost a year ago. Now, after all this time, we seem to be back to square one. That woman called me on my cell phone and hinted about my car exploding. I tried to warn Nick, but I was too late... I can’t believe this is starting all over again...”

O’Rielly nodded, understanding as it clicked in his mind, “You’re the Backstreet Boys. We knew of the woman’s escape-”

AJ cut O’Rielly off, having stood behind Kevin and heard the whole conversation, “You knew?! And you never told us?! How long has she been out?”

O’Rielly looked sternly at AJ for interrupting, “Eight months.”

Howie stepped up beside AJ, shocked, “Eight months? ... Eight months?! Why didn’t you tell us?!”

“We tried,” O’Rielly calmly voiced, ignoring AJ’s withering glare, “We couldn’t get a hold of you, you were on your tour.”

Kevin glared at O’Rielly with sharp green eyes, stepping forward, “Don’t give us any of that crap. You could of gotten through to us, this is something that doesn’t get pushed aside. You tried?” Kevin scoffed, his voice dropping, “You prob’ly tried a couple times and then dropped it! Just some boy band pop group! Right? Not worth the effort!” Kevin was disgusted. He had liked the police chief, thought he’d be able to make this whole situation go away.

Howie put a restraining hand on Kevin’s arm as he took another step toward O’Rielly, “Easy, Kev,” Howie warned, fighting wouldn’t get them anywhere.

Chief O’Rielly cleared his throat, “We’ll put officers on protective duty immediately. I’ll order several units to watch over you five and the stadium will now be heavily guarded. You don’t go anywhere without permission from a law officer and never alone.” O’Rielly paused, watching as EMTs escorted Nick to the ambulance, Brian following. “You will go to the hospital with your friend, a unit will accompany you. Once you are released from the hospital, you may go home, but a unit will be stationed outside each of your homes. We’ll keep an eye on the stadium.”

O’Rielly nodded to them and then turned away and walked back to the scene behind him. Kevin stood rigid, his hands in fists at his sides. He turned to Howie, “They knew. God-damn it, they knew!”

Howie could only nod his head, staring at the smoke ascending from the charred remains of the sports car as the streams of water dowsed the flames.

AJ’s glare remained on the back of Chief O’Rielly. AJ narrowed his eyes as he muttered, “Sure, NOW they get all serious about this crap. A mad woman escaping from prison, who had threatened us before being arrested, is no big deal. Not until she blows a car up and damn near kills us. Yeah, okay, THEN they get all protective!”

AJ felt eyes on him, he turned and was met with Howie and Kevin’s perplexed faces. “What?”

Kevin blinked, then shook his head, “Nothin’.” He turned to the ambulance, seeing Brian step in the back doors. Kevin felt his frustration ebb, wanting to get away from this setting of reminders. Kevin sighed, “C’mon, lets get out of here. Might as well do as O’Rielly said.”

AJ sneered at the mention of the officer, but followed Howie and Kevin to the ambulance. He stopped at the doors, seeing Brian perched on the side bench inside, gazing at Nick. AJ felt his ire at O’Rielly fade into concern at the sight of Nick. Nick was sitting up on the stretcher, his face pale as he stared back at Brian with imploring eyes as EMTs cleaned and bandaged his head wound.

AJ glanced at Kevin and Howie, seeing their worried expressions. Nick wasn’t handling this very well. AJ paused, None of us are.

Kevin grabbed an EMT’s arm, “How is he?”

The young man smiled at Kevin, his hazel eyes sincere as he said, “He’ll be fine. Took a lick, but its not serious. He might have one hell of a headache, but that’s about it. We’re takin’ him to the hospital to give him one last look see, make sure he don’t have a concussion.”

Kevin smiled, relieved, “You goin’ now?”

The EMT nodded, “Yeah.” He then looked over the three young men, “I take it you’ll all be comin’ along for the ride?” He received three ‘damn straight’ expressions. He smiled, waving them in, “C’mon, one of ya’s has to ride shot gun, though. Not enough room back here for all of ya.”

AJ shut the passenger door, then immediately craned around so he could see his friends. Brian switched to sit beside Nick on the stretcher, Kevin and Howie sat on the side bench facing Nick and Brian.

Nick sat, mute. This is not happening, this is NOT happening... With a sigh, Nick closed his eyes. God, not again. I can’t go through that again. Why can’t she leave us alone? Nick felt a secure arm wrap around his shoulders and opened his eyes to see Brian’s supportive face. Brian smiled, squeezing Nick’s shoulder.

Nick felt himself unravel, “God, Bri’,” he whispered, “not again...” Nick laid his aching head on Brian’s shoulder, closing his eyes to shut out the concerned eyes staring at him.

Brian stared helplessly at Kevin and Howie’s saddened faces, not knowing what to tell Nick. He couldn’t very well say that everything was going to be okay, not when he didn’t know if that would be true. No... No, it WILL be okay. We WILL get through this... again.

Brian tightened his arm around Nick’s frame, fixing his eyes on Kevin and Howie in a decided stare, “We’ll get through this, Nick. I promise you, we will get through this, together. We did it before, we’ll do it again.”


~/~/~/~/~(at the hospital)~~~~~


AJ, Howie, and Kevin all sat in the waiting room, waiting for Nick and Brian. When they had arrived at the hospital, the EMTs tried to take Nick away but Nick wouldn’t go anywhere without Brian. They only allowed Brian back because Nick refused to let the doctors treat him unless Brian stayed. So, since Nick’s injury wasn’t that serious, they allowed Brian to stay with him.

Kevin kept staring up the hall where Nick and Brian had disappeared, waiting for their return. He saw the EMT he had talked to before walking towards them and stood to stop him.

He smiled when he saw Kevin, “Hey, still waiting on your friend?”

“Yeah, do you know what’s takin’ so long?” Kevin asked the young, brown haired man.

“Oh, yeah. The doctor decided he had to stitch his cut.” The young man smiled, “Don’t worry, he’s fine, no concussion. He’ll probably have a headache the rest of the day, though.”

Kevin relaxed in relief, the waiting had gotten him worried sick that something more serious was wrong, “Thanks, that’s a big relief. You’ve been a great help. My name’s Kevin.” Kevin reached out and shook the young man’s hand, “And that is AJ and Howie.” Kevin motioned behind him, Howie nodded while AJ saluted.

The young man smiled, “Nice to meet ya. My name is Alexander Gordon, but everyone calls me Alec.”

“Thanks again, Alec,” smiled Kevin.

“Sure, no problem,” Alec tilted his head, “I heard about why it happened, the car. I hope you guys get through it okay.”

Kevin’s smile slipped slightly, “Yeah, me too.”

“Well, I gotta get back to work. See ya!” Kevin nodded to him as he turned and walked away.

“Nick! Will ya stop messin’ with it!”

Kevin turned and AJ and Howie stood at Brian’s frustrated yell. They smiled in both amusement and relief when they saw Nick walking towards them along side Brian, Brian slapping Nick’s hand away every time he raised it to finger the white rectangle bandage above his left eye, which covered the distance from his hairline to slightly below his eyebrow.

“Leave it alone, Frack!” Brian again slapped Nick’s hand away.

Nick glared at Brian, “I can’t help it, it’s annoying. When I look around there’s this white blob at the top of my vision. It’s drivin’ me nuts!”

“Tough!” smiled Brian as they stopped in front of the others, “You’re jus’ gonna have to deal with it for a while.”

Nick’s lip turned up in a sneer, “I still don’t like it.” He mumbled, trying to push the gauze up further on his forehead, only to have his hand slapped away again, this time by Kevin.

“Nick, leave it alone,” The tone Kevin used was the one that Nick always seemed to listen to. Nick left the bandage alone.

Brian stared at Kevin in awe, “How do you DO that?!”

Kevin shrugged, smiling, “It’s a gift.”

AJ shook his head, “Can we get out of here now? I hate hospitals.”

“Yeah, lets go,” nodded Kevin, glancing at Nick. He seemed to have recovered from the news of that woman, atleast for now. Brian must have talked to him. Kevin thought, looking at his cousin who had a relieved smile on his face. Kevin sighed, addressing them all, “We have to ride with the police though, since we don’t have any vehicles here.”

“Hrummph!” AJ crossed his arms, still ticked at this whole situation, “That sounds like fun.”

Howie sighed, “Just deal with it, AJ. We all have to get used to it, cops are gonna be around us all the time now.”

AJ just groaned, then followed the others as they walked to the exit, where four police officers had been watching them and waiting for their departure.

As they walked passed them and out the doors into the early afternoon sun, AJ paused and faced one of the cops, his face serious and stance rigid. AJ looked into the officer’s eyes and brought his right arm up in a stiff salute. Then he turned and marched out the doors, a smirk turning the corners of his mouth as the officer glared after him. I might as well have some fun with this.

Kevin, having seen what AJ did, approached AJ as Nick and Brian got in one of the two police cars, “Must you, AJ?”

AJ smiled up at Kevin, “Yep!” AJ ducked into the police car with Brian and Nick, shutting the door before Kevin could comment.

Kevin sighed and shook his head, then walked over to where Howie leaned against the other police car, smirking. Howie opened his mouth to speak when Kevin stopped before him, but Kevin raised a hand, “I don’t want to even know what you’re gonna say. Let’s get outta here.”

Howie just smiled as Kevin opened the car door and slid in, slamming it shut. He nodded to the two cops approaching and went around to the other side, getting in the car.

Kevin and Howie were halfway home when Howie’s cell phone rang. He sighed and fished it out of his pocket, “Hello?”

“Mr. Dorough?” asked a familiar male voice.

“O’Rielly? Uh.. I mean, Chief O’Rielly?”

Kevin looked at Howie, curious. Howie held up a hand to his silent question.

“Yeah,” O’Rielly gruffly acknowledged, “Listen, after you guys left the media showed up and was firing all these questions about the car bomb. I called your management and they have arranged a press conference to stem all the speculations about your situation. They said that not all of you are needed, said Kevin was enough, but his cell phone isn’t answering.”

“Just a second,” Howie put his hand over the the phone, “Kev, where’s your phone?”

Kevin looked confused for a second, then he remembered and answered slightly sheepish, “Lying on the parking lot pavement, busted to pieces.”

Howie smirked and removed his hand from the phone, “Kev’s phone had a little accident.”

“He there?” asked O’Rielly.

“Yeah.”

“Put him on,” O’Rielly ordered. Howie frowned at being ordered, but handed Kevin the phone.

”Yeah?” greeted Kevin not so nicely.

O’Rielly ignored it, “You have a press conference in twenty minutes.”

“What?!”

“The press was gettin’ anxious, your management thought it would be the best way to satisfy them.”

Kevin sighed, “Where?”

“Outside of the stadium, front entrance.”

Kevin glanced at Howie, “Howie’s gonna have ta come with me, we’re sharing the ride.”

“That’s fine, just get here.” O’Rielly hung up.

Kevin gave Howie back his phone, then leaned forward and tapped the partition between them and the cops in front. One turned, “Yeah?”

“Change of plans. We’re headed back to the stadium, front entrance. We gotta do a press conference.” The officers nodded, acknowledging the information.

When Kevin leaned back, Howie gestured to his phone, “I better tell the others.”

Kevin nodded, leaning his head back with a sigh. He listened to Howie’s conversation, smiling slightly as Howie’s voice raised in insult.

“AJ! Your mouth sure has been flapping lately! You gotta learn when to shut up!”

There was a short pause as Howie listened, Kevin watched from the corner of his eye as Howie rolled his eyes at something AJ said, “Yeah... Uh-huh... Sure, AJ. Whatever you say. Bye.”

Howie threw the phone down on the seat, glaring down at it, “I swear, that AJ... He just doesn’t know when to stop!”

Kevin chuckled slightly, turning his head sideways to look at Howie, “He wouldn’t be AJ if he did.”

Howie paused, looking at Kevin. He smiled, “True, very true.”

“Let me guess,” smiled Kevin, “He was gloatin’ at how they didn’t have to go to the press conference.”

Howie nodded, “Lucky shits.”

One of the cops turned to face them, “We’re just about there.”

“Okay, thanks,” said Kevin. He looked back at Howie, “Might as well make this as quick as possible.”


~/~/~/~/~(with AJ, Nick, and Brian)~~~~~


“Oh, c’mon!” cried AJ, his face doe eyed and staring at the officers seated in the front of the car. “Just once! Puh-leez?!”

The passenger cop sighed loudly and turned to face AJ, seeing the other two huddled behind him snickering. “No.”

“Why not?”

“Because.”

“Because why?”

“Because I said so!”

AJ smiled coyly, “I’m warnin’ ya, I’ll resort to annoying torture...”

The cop raised an eyebrow, “I think I can handle it.”

“All right,” grinned AJ, “You asked for it!”

AJ leaned back in the seat between Nick and Brian, crossing his arms and clearing his throat. He took a deep breath and launched into song, his voice twisted in an annoying tone...


“I, Henry the eighth I am!
Henry the eighth I am, I am!
I got married to the widow next door!
She’s been married seven times before!
And everyone was a Henry!
Henry!
Wouldn’t have a Willie or a Sam!
No sir!
I’m her eighth old man, I’m Henry!
Henry the eighth I am, I am!
Henry the eighth I am!
Second verse, same as the first!
I, Henry the eighth I am!
Henry the eighth I am, I am!
I got married...”


Nick and Brian sat smiling, avoiding the officer’s glare by gazing out of their windows. Nick had to bite his lip to keep in the laugh that desperately wanted release. The officer looked back at AJ, who waggled his eyebrows at him as he continued singing. By the fifteenth repeat, the cops have had enough.

“All right! We’ll do it! Just SHUT UP!”

AJ shut up, his eyes twinkling as they gazed innocently back at the frazzled cop. He smiled, “I’m waiting...”

The officer faced forward, he looked at his partner, “Just do it and get it over with, Joe.”

Joe nodded and reached forward, flipping the switch.

The police car continued on through the streets of Orlando, now with lights flashing and siren wailing.


~/~/~/~/~(at the press conference)~~~~~


Kevin ran a frustrated hand through his hair as he looked down at the throng of reporters below him. He glanced at Howie behind him, who gave a sympathetic smile. Kevin sent a glare to O’Rielly standing beside him, who merely gazed calmly back at Kevin. With a sigh, Kevin leaned heavily on the podium before straightening and addressing the crowd once more.

“Just a few more questions, then we’re going home for the day,” announced Kevin, desperately wanting escape.

A young red headed reporter threw her hand up, as well as a question, “Do you have any idea as to the identity of the woman?”

“No,” answered Kevin simply, “Next question.”

A dark haired man in a sharp business suit spoke, “Will you continue as planned to perform your last concert tomorrow night?”

“Absolutely,” declared Kevin without hesitation, “We will not be intimidated and run from our lives. We’ll perform as scheduled, for the fans as well as ourselves.”

Kevin shifted his feet, “One last question, then we leave.”

“How does this make you feel?”

Kevin froze, as well as Howie who suddenly stood at Kevin’s side. Kevin’s eyes roved over the crowd below almost frantically, “Who said that?”

“I did,” came a calm female voice, “Are you afraid? Do you feel as if you no longer have control?”

Howie and Kevin searched the crowd, which was now looking around in search of the woman also. Then a woman was suddenly directly below Kevin and Howie, she looked up at them and spoke again, “Well, you should be afraid because I’m the one that is now in control of you.”

Kevin and Howie’s heads snapped down at her voice, shock widening their eyes and dropping their mouths. Howie started to softly stutter to Kevin, not taking his eyes off the woman, “K- K- Kev? ... Th- that’s- that’s...”

Kevin only nodded his head as Howie trailed off, “That’s HER.”

O’Rielly became alert at their utterances, his sharp eyes snapping to the woman below him. She was fairly tall and slim in body, a black business suit and skirt adorned her frame, her complexion pale with blood red lips, her hair a platinum blond cut short around her ears and wisping around her face, her eyes... the iciest shade of blue he had ever seen and just as cold was their gaze. O’Rielly found himself shivering in their chilling stare. Shaking it off, he signaled to his men to start to surround her, to box her in.

The woman gave O’Rielly a bright smile before turning back to Kevin and Howie, “I want you to remember one thing if nothing else, I am in control. You are once again mine. What happens from here on is my choice, never yours.” Her eyes became whimsical as visions of things to come materialized before her, “My choices will rule over your lives, as my choices ARE your lives.”

She smiled and blew Howie and Kevin a kiss while backing away and into the crowd, disappearing. Kevin and Howie barely acknowledged O’Rielly’s terse commands into his radio.

“Damn it!” he suddenly cursed, snapping Howie and Kevin out of their daze, “What the hell do you mean you lost her?! She was right there for God’s sake!”

O’Rielly growled, “Search the area, don’t leave a God-damned cigarette butt unturned, got me?!”

A mild ‘yes sir’ was the only response as O’Rielly angrily clamped the radio back on his belt.

Kevin crossed his arms and glared at the Police Chief, “Real good security, O’Rielly.” Kevin put an insulting twist to the name. Then Kevin grabbed Howie’s arm and turned him around, “C’mon, ‘D. Lets get out of here.” As they walked off the temporary stage, Kevin called back to O’Rielly, “We’re takin’ Howie’s car. We ain’t going to have you cops chauffeur us all over town all the time.”

O’Rielly just nodded, his eyes looking over the dispersing crowd. He turned to an officer behind him, “Get after ‘em. Watch their houses too, no tellin’ what this maniac will do.”

The officer nodded and jogged down the stage stairs after Kevin and Howie, only to be grabbed with a hand over his mouth and around his waist as his foot hit the last step. His muffled shouts voiced his protest as a black clad man dragged him under the platform, Kevin’s and Howie’s figures continuing to the parking lot, oblivious.


~/~/~/~/~(with Brian, AJ, and Nick)~~~~~


The police car was almost at AJ’s house, much to the relief of the two extremely annoyed cops. AJ still sat between Nick and Brian, still grinning his head off at the officer that kept sending him glares by way of the rear view mirror. AJ winked at him, the cop took the next corner rather abruptly. AJ flew into Brian.

“AJ!” he cried, pushing AJ back, “Give it a rest already! I want to survive the ride home!”

Nick looked back and forth between the two, barely suppressing his laughter. AJ shrugged at Brian, “I’m just makin’ the best of this.”

“Best of this?” questioned Brian, “By drivin’ the people that are supposed to protect us crazy?”

AJ thought a moment, then nodded his head, “Yep!”

The car came to a stop behind another police car, the passenger cop got out of the car and opened the back door on Brian’s side. “You’re home, now get out!”

AJ just smiled and crawled over Brian and got out, standing before the cop and saluting yet again. The cop shook his head, “Just get in your house and stay there until tomorrow. Those officers will be outside of your home all night. “ He nodded to the other cop car and the two figures inside.

“Yeah, okay,” acknowledged AJ, then he looked in at Brian and Nick when Brian called his name. “Yeah?”

“Just wanted you to know that Nick is stayin’ at my house during this,” voiced Brian.

AJ frowned and looked at Nick, who suddenly found his fingernails very interesting. “Kev know?” he asked, turning his eyes back to Brian.

“No, not yet.”

AJ nodded, “I’ll call him so you don’t have to use your cell. Well, I guess I’ll see you guys later.” AJ suddenly felt awkward, realizing that there was now a chance that they might not. AJ shook his head, Can’t start thinkin’ like that.

“Yeah,” replied Brian, his voice distracted sounding, as if he were thinking the same as AJ. Brian locked eyes with AJ, “You take care of yourself, you hear?”

AJ smiled and tried to lighten the mood, “Yes, mother.”

Brian stayed serious, “I mean it, Bone.”

“Yeah, I know, Bri’,” nodded AJ, “Well, you guys better get going. I’ll see you later.”

Brian sat back in the seat, “Yeah, see ya, AJ.”

Nick finally spoke, just as Brian reached to close the door. “ ‘Bye, AJ,” he said, not looking up from his hands.

AJ frowned again at Nick’s voice, it sounded nervous, “ ‘Bye, kid.”

Brian shut the door after a wave and as soon as the other cop shut his door, the car pulled away. AJ stood on the sidewalk for a few minutes, watching the car disappear, before turning and walking up to his house and in the door.

AJ’s mood brightened as he threw his keys on the table by the door, taking a deep breath as he looked around his home. A smile parted his lips as he suddenly raced upstairs. He slid to a stop before a plain door. Still smiling, AJ swung the door open to reveal a huge room filled with trees, dirt, water, bushes, flowers and a skylight which bathed the room in a sunny glow. It looked like a miniature forest.

AJ took a deep breath and voiced his best Ricky Ricardo impression, “Squeaker! I’m Home!”

AJ waited... and waited. His expectant smile faltered and soon turned into a frown. AJ began to look around the make-shift forest, “Squeaker?”

AJ felt a sinking sensation steadily filling his gut, Squeaker would always jump out to greet him. Something wasn’t right. “Squeaker!” AJ’s search begins to take on a frantic pace as he pushes branches and leaves aside. He goes to the center of the room, where a familiar backpack hangs from a tree. It was where Squeaker slept, a somewhat painful reminder for AJ but a comfort to Squeaker. He pulled it open and gazed hopefully inside.

Nothing.

That is, except for a plain white envelope. AJ’s eyes narrowed as he reached in and pulled out the envelope, plain except for a scrawled AJ on one side. With one smooth motion, AJ tore it open and pulled a letter out. His brown eyes quickly scanning the short message:


AJ.
I thought your wonderful squirrel needed a change of scenery, so I have
taken him to my humble abode. Please, do not worry. I intend to
return him... eventually. In what state, I can’t quite discern.
Well, have a nice day!


AJ’s hand crumpled the paper in his hand as his lips set in a firm line. “Damn it!” AJ kicked his foot hard against the tree trunk, spinning around and stalking out of the room. He muttered to himself angrily, all the way downstairs and to the cordless phone. He snatched it up and dialed Kevin’s number, stuffing the crumpled letter into his pocket. His brow furrowed at the three tone beep that preceded the shrill recording informing him the number is no longer in service.

AJ stared at the phone, “What the-”

AJ cut the call off, dialing Howie’s number instead. It rang. AJ paced his living room as he waited for Howie to pick up.


~/~/~/~/~(back with Howie and Kevin)~~~~~


Howie unlocked his purple corvette, looking across at Kevin, “I can’t believe she was right there!”

Kevin rested his arms on the car roof, “And that damn O’Rielly didn’t do a damn thing.”

Howie shook his head in wonder as he opened the door and slid behind the steering wheel, shutting the door and looking back at Kevin as he got in, “She is insane. Why is she so obsessed with going after us?”

Kevin shrugged as he fastened his seat belt, “Who knows. I think her motive has changed from the last time, though. She’s being even more discreet and at the same time obvious. It’s like it’s become... personal.”

Howie glanced up after clicking his seat belt in place, “Well, we did get her arrested.”

“I know,” retorted Kevin, switching his gaze out the window as Howie started the ‘vette and pulled out of the spot, “But its more than that. I can tell.”

“Well,” voiced Howie, pulling out of the stadium parking lot and onto the street, “All in all, it doesn’t matter what is behind her actions. She’s trying to kill us.”

Kevin leaned his head back, “She isn’t trying, she’s playing.” Kevin turned to face Howie, “She didn’t have to warn us about the car bomb. She didn’t want us dead yet.”

“But what-” Howie was cut off by his phone ringing. He sighed and answered it with an annoyed, “What?”

“Howie!”

Howie sat up straighter as he stopped at the red light, “AJ?”

“Howie, she took him!”

Howie glanced at Kevin, “Took who?”

“Squeaker! She kid- um... squirrel-napped Squeaker!” AJ raked a hand through his hair, still pacing.

“The woman? She took Squeaker?” Howie was shocked, looking at Kevin he saw the same. “Why?”

“I don’t know!” cried AJ, “Besides that, what’s really freaky is that there is NO forced entry. She or one of her flunkies, was in my home and I couldn’t even tell! She’s way too good, ‘D.”

Howie shook his head as the light turned green, “Maybe we should stay together. If she can get that close...”

“Well, Nick and Brian are together. I told them I’d tell Kevin, but his number’s haywire.”

Howie took a right, “Kevin’s right here, his phone was busted. So, Nick and Brian are together? Maybe we should all go to where they are. Brian’s or Nick’s?”

“Brian’s. Listen ‘D, what are we gonna do. I mean, the cops are involved and it changes nothing! She can still get at us.”

“I don’t kno-”

A crash and the ‘vette suddenly wanting to pull left cut Howie off, “What the hell?!”

Kevin gripped the door and craned his head around to look behind them as Howie straightened the car out.

“Shit.”

Howie glanced at Kevin at his short curse, AJ’s voice hollering in his ear.

“ ‘D! Hey! What’s goin’ on?! What happened? I heard a crash.”

Kevin faced forward and gripped the dash, “We got a black Dodge Ram behind us and it’s coming up for another hit.”

“Shit,” swore Howie, handing Kevin the phone and gripping both hands on the wheel. The ‘vette lurched as the Ram slammed into the back end. Howie’s hands sawed back and forth to keep the car straight. Howie slammed on the gas, pulling away from the Ram.

Kevin talked to AJ, “Listen AJ, we’re kinda busy right now. You pack up and go to where ever Nick and Brian are and we’ll meet you later.”

“No way! You tell me what’s goin’ on!”

“Fine! A huge ass pick-up is ramming the hell out of Howie’s car. Happy?” Kevin tightened his grip on the dash as the Ram caught up to them and began to pull up along side of them.

“What?! Hell no I ain’t happy! Are you gonna be all right? Where the hell are the cops?”

“I don’t know, AJ. They ain’t here. Listen, I’ll call you back when we get out of this. Go to Nick and Brian, take your cell with you. We’ll be there, I promise.”

Kevin cut the call before AJ could comment, not answering when it immediately began to ring. Kevin glanced at Howie, who was fiercely gripping the steering wheel and staring straight ahead.

Kevin watched the Ram, “ ‘D?”

Howie never took his eyes off the road, “Yeah?”

“Don’t make me break my promise.”

Howie flexed his fingers on the wheel, “I won’t, Kev... I hope.”

The Ram now speeds along side the purple corvette, Howie glanced at it and saw it move away suddenly. Howie’s eyes widened, “Hold on, Kev!”

The Ram suddenly veered back at them and slammed into the driver’s side, causing Howie to struggle as the back end fish tailed. Kevin’s face turned white, “Christ, Howie! We got to do somethin’!”

Howie got the car under control, “I’m open to suggestions...”

“Hit him back?”

Howie looked at Kevin briefly, then shrugged, “Worth a try.”

Howie took a deep breath and then jerked the steering wheel hard to the left, slamming into the Ram. The Ram bounced away, its left side wheels riding up on the sidewalk before returning to the road. The ‘vette pulled away a few car lengths.

“Ha!” cried Howie, “Take that, you dirty basterd!”

Howie scanned ahead at the deserted street, “We gotta get rid of them.”

Kevin looked at him and raised an eyebrow, “How?”

The back window suddenly shattered, Howie and Kevin instinctively ducking. Kevin looked back at the shattered widow and the Ram twenty feet behind them, “Shit, Howie! They’re shooting at us!”

“God,” cried Howie, “I hope they don’t think to shoot out my tires.”

“Weave, Howie,” stated Kevin.

Howie looked at him, confused, “Huh?”

Kevin reached over and moved the steering wheel back and forth, “Weave, don’t give them a target.”

Howie weaved the car, hearing the gunshots echoing behind them. Kevin looked back and then at Howie, then ahead. The road ends up ahead, making the driver have to turn left or right. They couldn’t see this yet, but Kevin was familiar with this part of town. The dead end is blind because its on a decline, the bottom of a small hill.

“Howie,” Kevin stated calmly, “When I tell you to, slam on the brakes.”

Howie looked puzzled, “Why-”

“Just do it.”

Unsure, but trusting Kevin, Howie nodded. They came to the peak of the hill, just before it lowered and revealed the dead end, the Ram pulled up beside them again. Howie’s eyes widened when he saw the passenger of the Ram aiming a gun straight at him, Kevin also saw this. Kevin glanced ahead, “NOW, Howie!”

Kevin braced himself as Howie slammed on the brakes at the same time as a gunshot echoed from the Ram.