- Text Size +
I want to go home... I want to go home. Damn it! I want to go home right this damned minute!

A figure stops his pacing, small hands gripping the metal bars. The room is dark, stark and lonely. The figure suddenly voices his frustration and jumps at the barred wall of his prison, kicking in anger.

Damn it! Damn it! Damn it! Damn it!... OW!

The figure stops his tirade and sits, holding onto his foot.

Damn cage. Damn the people who put me here. I hate them. I want the freedom I used to have, nature all around me. My friends always visiting. I miss them.

The small figure sniffed, dark eyes watering. He let go of his foot and resumed his pacing once again. The dark eyes flicking all around, searching the dark room for escape. He stops when the lock of his room clicks, the door soon opening. The dark eyes narrowed.

Well, if it ain’t blondie.

The figure’s dark eyes twinkled, seeing the damage he wrought to her face.

She deserved it. I wasn’t goin’ without a fight.... What does she want now?

The woman smiles hatefully at the figure, approaching his prison, “How are you enjoying your stay? I hope I haven’t troubled you any.”

The figure stands silent, staring.

The woman chuckles, “I bet you miss them, huh? Poor thing, all alone. Oh, don’t you worry though, I have kept your friends busy. You should of seen their faces, the car bomb is my personal favorite. It knocked them senseless.”

She laughed. The figure didn’t understand all her words, but did recognize the important ones: worry, friends, bomb. He voiced his anger, lunging at the bars.

She only laughed harder, “My, my. Such anger... and from the sounds of it, I think you’ve been around AJ too much.”

AJ? What’s she sayin’ about AJ? If she lays one finger on my AJ, she’ll have hell to pay!

She smiled widely, her ice blue eyes twinkling, “You don’t need to worry any, petite. You shall see your AJ soon, I promise.”

The figure stares, trying to figure out what she is implying with her light sounding words. For some reason, they caused a chill to race up his spine.

She walked to the door, turning to him before closing the door, “ ‘Til tomorrow, petite.”

She closed and locked the door, leaving the figure alone once again. He slumped against his prison, feeling it sway from its chain that kept it suspended five feet off the floor. He sniffed again, leaning to the side until he lay on the floor of his cage.

I want to go home... I want AJ.

Squeaker gave one last sigh, then fell into a restless sleep, dreaming of his best friend.

~/~/~/~/~()~~~~~

A dark room, soon turning light.

The cabin.

He found himself tied to a familiar chair, immobile. A presence behind him, a feeling of pure fear consuming him and causing his breath to quicken. A cool sensation touches his temple.

Oh, God... Not again.

“Yes, again,” toned the evil, feminine voice.

“Why can’t you leave us alone?” He heard himself ask.

She laughed, cocking the gun. “You took him away... You took him AWAY!”

click

He jumped reflexively, then heard the gun cock again. He tried to keep some rationale of calm, “Took who?”

She growled, “Who? You know who, you basterd. You and your friends will soon receive my wrath, only then will you know what you took away.”

click

“What?” he asked, momentarily closing his eyes and trying to ignore the game she played with him. “What do you mean?”

He felt the gun leave his temple, then her face appeared before his immobile form. She smiled a smile that caused his gut to clench.

“Let’s just say... Payback’s a bitch, Brian.”

Brian awoke with a gasp, his eyes snapping open. He slowly brought his hands up to his sweaty face, trying to wipe away the nightmare and calm his breathing. Gawd, what did it mean?

Brian slowly sat up, untangling his legs from his sheets that clung to his shaking body. He managed to stand and took a moment to get his bearings. The cool feeling of the gun was still present against his temple, he brought a hand up to it in annoyance.

“It’s not bad enough that she tortures us awake, she’s gotta haunt us in our dreams, too?” Brian asked aloud, finding his voice hoarse and shaky.

Brian ran a hand through his mussed hair, “God, I need a drink of water.”

Clad in his navy boxers and white muscle shirt, Brian padded barefoot out of his room and down the stairs, walking through the living room toward the kitchen. He glanced at Nick’s sleeping form on the couch and smirked. How can he sleep like that?

Nick laid with his lower body turned into the cushioned couch, a blanket only half covering his still fully clothed form as one leg is slung over the back while his upper body twists away. His left arm is stretched away from his body and supported by the coffee table, his right arm frames his face that rests on an overstuffed pillow. The young face seems peaceful, the sound of his deep breathing escaping his slightly parted lips.

Brian shook his head. That’s Nick for ya, he’s got to do everything... well, differently.

Brian turned and continued to the kitchen, pushing through the door and heading to the cupboards. He pulled out a glass and stuck it under the faucet, turning on the water with a yawn. The glass full, Brian shuts the water off and takes a long drink, the cool liquid soothing his dry throat.

Brian leaned against the counter, sipping the water and trying to get the dream out of his head. He was in the middle of a drink when a panicked shout caused him to spit the water out across the room. Nick? Brian slammed the glass on the counter and rushed out of the kitchen as more shouts came from his friend.

Brian ran to the couch to find Nick’s once peaceful face pinched in fear and panic, his eyes squeezed shut and his body thrashing back and forth as he called out.

“God, NO!... Brian! I’m sorry, I’m so sorry...”

Brian was momentarily frozen when a sob emitted from Nick as his body stilled in its thrashing, turning on his side and curling into himself. Brian walked around the couch so he could see Nick’s face and felt his heart lurch. Tears streamed from Nick’s clenched eyes.

“Nick?” Brian reached out to shake his shoulder gently, “Nick? C’mon, buddy... Wake up.”

Nick stayed caught in his dream, sobs shaking his form, “I’m sorry... God, I’m so sorry... My fault... sorry...”

Brian frowned at the hoarse, whispered words. He had to wake him. “Nick, wake up... It’s just a dream, Frack.”

Brian shook Nick harder, “Nick!”

Nick eyes snapped open and he reeled back from the face in front of him. He blinked as he gasped for breath, moving his head around to look at his surroundings. Nick finally seemed to recognize where he was and relaxed, falling back into the pillow with a loud sigh and closing his eyes, bringing a hand up to his face.

Brian’s brow furrowed, “Nick? You okay?”

“Yeah,” breathed Nick, not moving or opening his eyes.

“Nightmare?” asked Brian, trying to get Nick to talk.

“You think?” snapped Nick, wiping his hand across his face to dry the wetness his tears had left.

Brian ignored the retort, “Wanna talk about it?”

Nick glanced at Brian, “No.”

Brian moved to sit on the coffee table, “You sure? It’ll help.”

Nick scoffed, “Sure it will. It don’t matter, I’m used to it anyway.”

“Used to it?”

Nick shut his eyes at his slip, “Look, its nothin’. Just go back to bed, Bri’.”

“Can’t,” smiled Brian, “I’m up now and you have to deal with me. Tell me about it.”

“No,” refused Nick, turning his head away.

“What are you sorry for?”

Nick snapped his head back around to Brian, eyes wide with surprise, “How- how did you...”

“You were talkin’ in yer sleep, Nick,” informed Brian, “What are you sorry for?”

“Nothin’, leave it alone, Bri’.”

“No,” stated Brian, “I want to know what’s goin’ on. You have been a wreck since this whole thing started up again. Don’t you remember our talk at the hospital? I told you that you could talk to me, so... talk to me. What’s the worst that could happen, huh? Feelin’ better? You need to talk about this, Frack. You can’t keep lockin’ it all in.”

“Watch me,” retorted Nick, crossing his arms over his chest.

“Damn it, Nick!” yelled Brian, causing Nick to jump. Brian lowered his voice, hoping he hadn’t woke the others, “What’s with you? I know somethin’ is seriously botherin’ you, even before she came back. I noticed it when you would just space out sometimes, go off by yourself. Was it nightmares? You said you were used to it, tell me Nick. I thought I was your friend.”

Nick stared at Brian, “You are, Frick. I... I just didn’t want to say anything. You were all just getting over what happened and you guys didn’t need me bringing it all up again just because of some stupid nightmares.”

Brian frowned, “Its been a year, Nick. Are you sayin’ you’ve had nightmares like this the whole time?”

Nick pushed himself up into a sitting position with is hands, “Yeah, pretty much. They were gettin’ better though, the past few months I haven’t had hardly any.”

“But you used to have them a lot?” asked Brian.

“Yeah,” sighed Nick, “I’m sick of it, Bri’. It’s always the same one, too.”

“What’s it about?” prodded Brian.

Nick slumped back in his pillow, “It starts out normal, ya know? We’re just on the bus going to the next venue, then it changes. All of a sudden we’re in that cabin, my hands are tied and you are sittin’ in front of me in that chair, all tied up. Then Jake... he comes up with the gun and does that- that game... I start to get my hand loose ‘cause I just can’t stand seein’ you so scared, Bri’. I get my hand free as he pulls the trigger with a click. I watch as he cocks the gun again, laughing. I get to my feet and jump at him, but- but...”

Nick breaks off, slumping forward with his head in his hands. He threads his fingers through his short hair, clasping them on the back of his neck as he turns his head up at Brian, “I didn’t make it, Bri’. I didn’t make it and-... and i-it went off. He killed you, Bri’. I didn’t make it.”

“Oh, jeez Nick,” groaned Brian, reaching a hand out to grasp Nick’s shoulder, “You gotta remember that you did make it, Nick. You saved me. You did make it.”

A tear fell from one of Nick’s blue eyes as he shook his head, “Don’t you get it, Bri’? When I was for real fightin’ with Jake... the trigger got pulled and... It. Went. Off. That next time he pulled the trigger would of been your last.”

“But it wasn’t,” assured Brian, although he was a little shaken. He’d never thought of that. It took Brian aback at the realization of just how close he had been to death.

“I just want them to stop, Bri’. I’m just so sick of this whole mess!”

Brian pushed Nick to sit up, then leaned away from him, “I’ve been havin’ dreams, too.”

Nick was surprised, “You have?”

“Yeah,” nodded Brian, “But just last night and tonight. I never had any before.”

“What were they about?” asked Nick, feeling a little bad because he was relieved he wasn’t the only one.

Brian ran a hand through his hair, “It starts with me in that damn chair in the cabin, but I’m alone this time. Then the woman is there and she starts to play that Russian Roulette game, not Jake. In the one I just had, she was talkin’ to me, sayin’ that we took him away from her and that she would get us for that. Said payback is a bitch.”

“Took him?” asked Nick, confused.

Brian shook his head, “I don’t know what it means either, Nick. We just got to beat this and then everything will be okay.”

“Yeah,” Nick didn’t sound convinced.

“It will, Nick. I promise. Do you feel better havin’ talked about it?”

Nick smiled a little, “Yeah, a bit.”

They sat in a comfortable silence for a few minutes, Nick soon began to yawn. Brian found he was getting tired, too.

“I guess we better get back to sleep,” yawned Brian. He looked at the clock, eyes widening, “Jeez, Nick! It’s four a.m., rehearsals are at seven, we have to get some sleep.”

Nick laid back down against the overstuffed pillow, feeling some apprehension as Brian stood and began to walk away, “Brian?”

Brian stopped, “Yeah?”

“Could you maybe... um...” stumbled Nick. God, I feel so stupid. “Could you maybe stay down here?”

Brian smiled, “Sure, just let me get some blankets and stuff, ‘kay?”

“ ‘Kay,” smiled Nick, relaxing, “Thanks.”

“Not a problem, Frack.”

~/~/~/~/~()~~~~~

~beep~beep~beep~beep~beep~bee-SLAM! “Son of a BITCH!”

Kevin groaned, cursing himself as he cradled his bandaged arm against his chest.

“God,” he groaned, “that HURT!”

He looked at the alarm clock and read 6:02 a.m. Then Kevin remembered. Rehearsals. He SO did not want to do that today, his arm was killing him. Of course, it wasn’t that bad until he slammed it on the damn alarm clock.

Kevin sighed and forced himself out of bed and got dressed, no time for a shower. He’d have to take one after rehearsals. Kevin walked out of his temporary room and toward where AJ and Howie rooms were, knocking on their doors and waking them up. Howie was easy enough, but not AJ.

“Come on, AJ,” sighed Kevin, looking down at AJ as he hid under his covers, “We got rehearsals, remember?”

“Just give me five... more... hours,” droned AJ from beneath his covers.

“Nope,” said Kevin, getting a hold of AJ’s mattress with his good arm, “You are gettin’ up... now.”

AJ gave a yelp as Kevin yanked up on his mattress and flung him on the floor, “Kevin! What the hell?!”

“Get up, AJ.”

Kevin left the room with a smirk on his face as AJ grumbled, picking himself off the floor and rubbing his rear with a grimace.

The smirk was still on Kevin’s face as he reached the bottom of the stairs and headed to the kitchen. He walked through the living room and was about to push the kitchen door open when he stopped and did a double take. With his brows furrowed, Kevin walked back to the couch and stared at the forms still very much asleep. He smiled.

Nick was sprawled in what looked like a very uncomfortable position, but obviously not to the blond as he slept soundly. What surprised Kevin, was Brian, who was lying on the floor beside the couch. Brian’s body was weaved in and out from under the coffee table, one arm folded across his chest while the other stretched straight out.

Kevin wondered why Brian was sleeping in the living room with Nick instead of in his own bedroom. Kevin frowned, but looked up when he heard Howie and AJ coming down the steps. Howie looked annoyed, an expression which was soon justified by AJ’s still grumbling person.

“I swear, ‘D. There’s gonna be a bruise the size of Manhattan on my ass, all because macho man Kevvy-Kev insisted I get up at his beck and call. I could sue for child abuse or assault or-”

“Oh, just shut up, AJ!” cried Howie, throwing his hands up in exasperation. “I don’t care about your ass, okay?”

AJ dropped his jaw in mock shock, “Howie! How could you! My ass is what got us where we are today! What would we be without it?”

Kevin laughed at the look that overcame Howie’s face. It was somewhere between ‘you’ve got to be kidding me’ and ‘Lord, save me!’. He looked down at a mumbled retort from a rudely awoken blond.

“We’d be less one asshole.”

AJ gasped, having heard the jab. He looked at Howie, cracking his knuckles, “Excuse me while I dispose our group of that pesky blond that always seems to let his mouth run at the worst times.” AJ turned back to the half asleep Nick, “Oh, Nick-ay!”

Nick looked up to see a pissed off AJ charging toward him and abruptly came awake, “Oh, shit!”

Nick threw the blanket off of his legs and at the approaching AJ, desperately scrambling off the couch. In his haste, Nick forgot Brian was asleep on the floor and promptly stepped on the defenseless Kentuckian.

“Ooof!”

Nick stopped, looking down to see his foot placed dead center on Brian’s chest. Brian gazed up at him with a pinched expression. Nick looked sheepish as he sat back on the couch and removed his foot from Brian’s chest, “Oops, sorry Bri’.”

Brian groggily sat up, one hand massaging his chest. He looked warily at Nick, his voice came out strained when he spoke, “That’s the thanks I get?” Brian referred to sleeping on the hard floor.

“Sorry,” smiled Nick, then he pointed to AJ, who is trying to untangle himself from Nick’s blanket, “It’s AJ’s fault.”

“My fault?!?” came a muffled shout from beneath the blanket, the attempts at removing the offending material ceasing. One tattooed arm came up, index finger pointed to the ceiling in indignation, “My character was maligned and demanded retaliation!”

Nick snorted, smirking at Brian. Brian stared at AJ’s covered form in bewilderment, then he shook his head, “I don’t even want to know.”

Kevin looked at Brian, perplexed, “Brian, why are you dow-”

“I’m hungry!” interrupted Brian, jumping to his feet and deliberately avoiding Kevin’s question, “Who’s up for some breakfast?!”

“Me!” cried Nick and Howie simultaneously, Nick vaulting over the back of the couch and dashing to the kitchen with Brian following. Howie grinned at Kevin and started after the duo, dodging AJ’s blindly flailing arms.

“Damn it! ‘D! Help me out here!” he cried, tugging on the blanket still tangled around his frame, “Howie! Don’t leave me hangin’ like this?!?”

Howie just smirked, backing away from AJ’s blindly groping figure, “Sorry, Aje. I think I hear Nick and Bri’ callin’ for me. I’d better go see what they want.”

“Howie!” whined AJ, lunging at his friend’s voice and catching air, then floor. “Ouch! ‘D, when I get out of this you will be in some serious pain!”

AJ’s threat fell on deaf ears as the kitchen door swung shut. AJ pouted beneath the blanket, crossing his arms. Then AJ remembered the fifth Backstreeter in the room, “Kev?”

Kevin still stood by the couch, gradually processing what just happened in the span of just a few minutes. He snapped out of his daze at his name, “Huh? Oh, what’cha want, AJ?”

The lump that Kevin presumed to be AJ’s head tilted to the side, then the tattooed arms grasped the blanket and shook it, “What do ya think, Train? I’m sittin’ on the floor in a blanket for my health? Maybe I’m startin’ a new fad!”

Kevin thought a moment, “Well...”

“Kevin!”

“Okay! Okay, sheesh! Try and have a little fun...” smiled Kevin as he began to untangle AJ from the blanket.

“This... is NOT fun,” declared AJ, breathing in the fresh air as the blanket was finally lifted from his body. “I’m gonna kill those three.”

“Uh-huh,” nodded Kevin, locking hands with AJ and pulling him up. “Sure you are, Aje.” Kevin had lost count of how many times he’d heard AJ say those words, nothing ever really came of the threat. Either AJ forgot or lost interest.

“I haven’t forgotten about you either, Kev,” glared AJ, “My butt took some damage when you pulled that stunt earlier.”

Kevin just smiled, “I thought it was quite effective.”

Kevin and AJ started walking to the kitchen, “Oh, yeah?” asked AJ, “I thought it rude.”

Kevin shrugged and pushed open the kitchen door, stopping so abruptly at the sight before him that AJ slammed into him.

“Hey!” cried AJ, attempting to see first over and then around Kevin’s figure, “What gives, Kev?”

Kevin groaned loudly, rolling his head to the ceiling, “Nooo... You have GOT to be kidding me...”

AJ couldn’t see a damn thing, “What?!?”

Kevin sighed and stepped aside. AJ saw Nick, Brian, and Howie sitting at the table, happily eating their breakfast. Even AJ groaned.

Nick smiled brightly, “Pizza!”

~/~/~/~/~()~~~~~

“Hey!” hissed a deep voice to the man in the room he kept a lookout on, “You about done? We gotta split before things start pickin’ up!”

The other guy scowled, not taking his eyes away from the task at hand. He took the flashlight from his mouth and replied, “Yeah!” He hissed back, “Relax, will ya?! There ain’t no one here! We’s got the place to ourselves!” He put the flashlight back between his teeth.

The first man glanced around nervously in the darkened room and the long, hollow looking hallways he watched, beginning to fidget. “Place to ourselves,” he muttered under his breath, “Yeah, right. There’s just about twenty cops swarmin’ this place!” He glanced down at the large bag at his feet when a rustling came forth from it, frowning, “C’mon, Frank! Hurry it up!”

“Dus a secod! I’n goin’ asth hasth asth I can!” he ground out from around the flashlight, makin’ one last adjustment. “There!” he exulted, taking the flashlight from his mouth.

“Finally!” sighed the first man, “Let’s ditch the cargo and get the hell out of here!”

“Yeah, yeah, yeah,” muttered Frank, stooping before the bag, “The boss sure did think this one through, huh?”

“Yeah,” answered the first man distractedly. Then after a few minutes of waiting, “You ready?”

“Almost, just a few last touches,” answered Frank.

The first man’s eyes bugged out as a flashlight beam bounced against the wall down the hall, “Frank! We gotta split, NOW! Someone’s comin’!”

“Done!” whispered Frank, snatching up the now empty bag. “Let’s book it!”

They both silently closed and locked the door, their eyes never leaving the light that was becoming closer to where the halls merged. Frank nodded and they quietly ran down the hall, the opposite direction of the light.

~/~/~/~/~()~~~~~

Nick and Brian jogged down the steps after getting changed, a spring in their steps. Kevin looked up from his position on the recliner as they approached. AJ and Howie paused in their arguing of proper breakfast food to glance at them.

Kevin set his magazine back on the coffee table, “’Bout time. We got ten minutes to get to the stadium.”

“Hey, it’s Frack’s fault!” cried Brian, “It took me forever to find somethin’ that’ll fit him!”

Nick just grinned and shrugged, “I’ll get my stuff later, this’ll do for now. I got a bag of clothes at the stadium anyway.”

Nick wore torn blue jeans that stopped a little high on his ankles, a black t-shirt that was a little snug on his longer torso, and an old worn out jean jacket that fit fairly well... as long as he didn’t stretch or move his arms drastically, if he did he thought the shoulders would tear out.

AJ smirked, “You look like a tall version of Brian. Wait! You’re missin’ somethin’!”

AJ scrambled out of the room and upstairs, leaving the guys glancing at each other curiously. Soon, the sound of AJ’s feet pounding down the stairs is heard, not to mention the ‘duh, duh, duh, THUD’. Tricky things stairs are.

AJ marched up with some dignity left to the back of Nick, reaching up and mashing a hat on his head, “There! Now we got two Brian’s! Good thing too, I was getting tired of that Nick guy.”

Nick scowled from beneath the cap mashed over his eyes, taking it off to look at it. It was Brian’s blue Kentucky cap. Nick looked at Brian, “You mind?”

Brian smiled, “Nah! I’ll be the dumb blond for the day!”

Nick smacked Brian upside the head with the cap, then placed it back on his head. Kevin and Howie shook their heads. Kevin got up from the chair, “Let’s go.”

They walked out of the door somewhat cheerful, until they saw the two squad cars parked in the street. Then the situation became real again. AJ’s angry scowl returned, Kevin’s outsider image surfaced, Howie became quiet, Brian looked at his friends trying to think of something to lighten the sudden mood change, and Nick drew within himself again, pulling the cap low over his face.

Kevin turned to them, “Howie, AJ, and I will take AJ’s car. Nick and Brian take Brian’s SUV.”

They nodded solemnly and headed to their designated assignments. Brian slammed his door shut and glanced over at Nick as he reached to start his navy blue SUV, seeing the returning ‘I’m fine’ attitude. With a sigh, Brian backed out of his garage and into the street, following AJ. One police car followed.

The drive to the stadium was uneventful, thankfully. Brian and AJ parked in the back of the stadium, where most everyone on the crew parked. The lot was full, everyone at work. The guys are five minutes late.

The police car makes a u-turn and heads back to its designated post outside of Brian’s house. Kevin, AJ, and Howie got out of AJ’s car and began walking to the stadium doors. They were so caught up in the remembrance of the situation that Kevin didn’t even yell about being late.

Brian had to park a little ways down the line from the others, him and Nick getting out as Kevin, AJ, and Howie were already halfway to the doors. As Brian locked the doors, Nick leaned against the SUV, letting his head fall back with a thud, the sun shielded from his face by the cap.

Brian frowned, “You all right, Nick?”

Nick lifted his head and looked over his shoulder at Brian, “Yeah, just give me a minute, okay?”

Brian looked at him for a moment, then nodded, “Okay, but just a minute. We’re already late as it is.”

As Brian turned and walked to the doors, Nick rested his head back again with a deep sigh. Nick stayed there in thought for several minutes before pushing himself away from the SUV and starting after Brian, who was almost at the doors where several cops stood. Kevin, AJ, and Howie where waiting for them.

Nick walked with his head down and shoulders slumped, hands buried in his pants pockets. He was in no hurry and kicked at the occasional rock with his feet.

Brian reached the others and then turned to see if Nick was coming yet. AJ and Howie were arguing about breakfast again, something like pizza is no better that McDonald’s in the morning. Kevin spoke to one of the officers, the other cops looked like they were half asleep. Brian surmised that they must have been there all night and haven’t been relieved yet.

A shrill squeal of tires caused Kevin to glance away from the officer he spoke with, haphazardly inquiring to the cause. His face went white and his voice trailed off, the breath suddenly leaving his lungs. Kevin watched as a battered black Dodge Ram squealed into the parking lot to their right. As it neared Kevin saw movement in the truck bed and gasped, grabbing the officer and pulling him to the ground, “Everybody, GET DOWN!”

AJ, Howie, and Brian, plus the other cops, snapped to attention. They saw the Ram and quickly hit the pavement. The Ram approached and passed them, a peppering of gunfire filling the air and shattering the glass doors behind them, showering them with glass. The gunfire ended and Brian looked up, seeing the Ram continue past them... straight at Nick.

Brian jumped to his feet, cupping his hands to his mouth, “Nick!... NICK! RUN!!”

Nick had been minding his own business when gunfire erupted just ahead of him and when he looked up he saw a black Dodge Ram barreling toward him. Nick reeled back and stumbled, quickly scrambling to his feet while Brian’s yell echoed around him. The Ram was almost on him as Nick spun around and ran, he heard popping sounds and the cement at his feet shot up in small explosions and the cars parked ahead of him cracked and groaned as bullets slammed into them, shattering some of the windows.

Nick ran as fast as he could, his back burning with the apprehension that a bullet would slam into it at any second. His wide blue eyes were fixated on the cars ahead of him, he had to reach them, he could find cover there. The gunshots ceased and then Nick could hear the roar of the Ram’s engine as it boar down on him. Almost there, almost at the cars. Nick reached a hand behind him and almost screamed as his fingertips brushed smooth metal.

Nick was two steps from the cars and he dove between two of them, just as the Ram gunned its engine and swerved toward him. Nick hit the pavement with a grunt and cringed at the screech and crunch of metal grating against metal as the Ram sideswiped the parked cars he just dove between.

The Ram peeled away, but Nick didn’t hear it. All he could hear is his heavy, strained breathing and a constant roar in his ears. Nick laid on his stomach between the cars, panting in exertion and fear. He crossed his arms before him and then closed his eyes, resting his forehead on his trembling arms. His whole body was shaking.

“Nick!” came a yell that Nick knew, just couldn’t place. Nothing existed, but the cool cement and the air rushing in and out of his lungs.

Brian lead the others to where he last saw Nick, praying he was all right, “Nick!” he called again. Brian felt his air leave him in relief as he found Nick on the ground between two cars, plastic and glass littering the ground. Brian approached Nick slowly, glancing at the others. Nick hadn’t moved yet.

“Frack? It’s Brian, you okay?” Brian slowly kneeled down beside Nick, resting a hand on his back. Nick was shaking and his back heaved as he gasped for breath.

Kevin appeared next to Brian, “Nick? Nicky, it’s okay. It’s over.”

AJ and Howie stood looking on in shock of what had just happened. Several police officers stood behind them, looking awkward and uncomfortable.

Brian leaned down to try and get a look at Nick’s face, then he remembered the hat in his hand. He set the blue cap down next to Nick’s head, “Hey, Frack, you dropped somethin’.”

Nick seemed to get control of his breathing somewhat and turned his head to the hat, then he glanced up at Brian who smiled. Expelling a trembling breath, Nick pushed himself up on shaky arms and turned to a sitting position. He leaned back heavily against one of the cars, picking up the hat. He twisted it around in his hands, staring at it blankly. Then his hands stopped, his eyes going wide in shock and his face even paler, if that was possible.

Brian immediately saw the stricken look overcome Nick’s face, “What? What is it, Nick?”

Nick just stared at the hat, then turned plagued eyes up at Brian, wordlessly handing him the hat. Confusion evident on his face, Brian took it and sent an uneasy glance at the others before examining it. Brian turned it over in his hands, then stopped and gasped, shooting a quick look at Nick who stared blankly.

Brian wordlessly handed Kevin the hat, then Brian moved and sat beside Nick, wrapping an arm around him and pulling him into a hug. Nick remained stiff and silent, obviously in shock.

Kevin watched this and then looked down at the hat in his hands. He studied it and turned it around, a gasp escaping him when he found the cause of Nick and Brian’s shock. Kevin managed to stand and turned to Howie and AJ, who looked at him with confused and scared expressions.

Kevin tossed the hat to them, AJ caught it. Almost hesitantly, after seeing their friends’ reactions, Howie and AJ looked at the hat. It looked fine, so AJ rotated it. His fingers brushed against something and he stopped. He and Howie looked and went white. AJ forgot how to breath for a moment and Howie had to slap him on the back to get him going again.

There, on the right side of the blue cap was a long rip, the edges frayed and singed. A bullet hat grazed the hat when on Nick’s head...