- Text Size +
AJ looked up from the scarred baseball cap, his brown gaze settling on his younger friend, who had yet to speak. AJ swallowed hard, trying to work past the lump in his throat, “Yo... Nick, Kaos... ...” AJ cleared his throat, his voice catching, “Just don’t think about it, man. You’re fine, that’s all that matters... Nick, you listenin’?”

Nick turned his face up to AJ, blinking slowly. He brought a shaking hand up and through his hair, stopping as his sensitive fingers ran across a slightly rougher section of the smooth blond locks, he dropped his hand away, “Jeez, it singed my hair...”

Howie knelt in front of Nick and Brian, placing a hand on Nick’s shoulder and catching the shocked singer’s attention. He smiled and gave the shoulder a squeeze, “You are fine, okay? Just think of that, you’re sittin’ here and breathin’, you’re alive. And we couldn’t be more grateful, remember that.”

Nick mutely nodded, dropping his eyes. Brian smiled and gave Nick’s frame a reassuring squeeze, “Don’t sweat it, Frack. C’mon, let’s get to them rehearsals. Fatima is gonna have our heads on a platter if we don’t get there soon.”

The familiarity seemed to spur Nick into motion, snapping him back to reality, “Yeah, Frick. We’re late.”

Nick pushed himself up, leaning against the car for a moment before pushing away and walking back to the stadium doors, leaving his four friends behind without a glance.

Brian stood and looked at his cousin in worry, “He wasn’t takin’ any of this very good in the first place, and now this happens,” Brian gestured to the cars around them. “It’s just like last time.”

Kevin shook his head, “I know, Brian. All I can say is I wish there never was a last time. We don’t need this crap.”

AJ made a fist around the blue cap still in his hands, “Damn it! She’s gettin’ closer every time! How long before she takes names, huh?” AJ threw the cap at Brian, who caught it instinctively. AJ stared at them hard, “When will our luck run out?”

Howie raised a hand to massage the back of his neck, grimacing, “All we can do is be careful. I mean, we have lives to live.”

“We do?” asked Brian, his face doubtful, “Our lives aren’t what I’d want to live right now if I had a choice. We are fighting for our lives every day and we won’t be able to stop until that woman is captured. How much longer can we last?” Brian’s blue gaze traveled to the stadium, “Can Nick last?”

Kevin looked startled, “Huh? What do you mean, Bri’? I thought Nick was doin’ okay, considering.”

Brian shook his head, “He’s keepin’ it all in just like last time, I wonder when he’ll break.” Brian looked at Kevin, “’Member this mornin’? When you were gonna ask why I was sleepin’ on the floor in the livin’ room?” Kevin nodded, perplexed. Brian continued, “I spent the night down there ‘cause Nick didn’t want to be alone. I didn’t say anything at the time ‘cause you know how Nick is about his privacy.” Brian paused, looking at his three friends, “He had a nightmare, about when we were in Alaska. Evidently, he’s been havin’ them for a long time, just never told us.”

The others looked shocked, Kevin spoke, “What? Why didn’t he...”

“Tell us?” finished Brian, twisting his cap in his hands, “He didn’t want us to worry, he didn’t want to bring back those memories, he wanted us to leave it behind us. I’d say that about covers it. Nick thinks about how things effect us more than you think.” Brian smiled slightly, “Nick likes attention, but not the kind that we would of given him. Nick likes to make you happy, not sad. It’s just the way he is, how he sees things.”

“Well, damn it!” hissed AJ, thoroughly ticked, “I wish he wouldn’t! He never tells us anything about himself; when he’s sick, when he’s depressed. He never let’s it out, then we have to pick up the pieces when it gets to be too much. I don’t know if I can stand it anymore.”

Howie nodded, “He has to learn to open up or he’ll never get back to the way it was before.”

“How?” asked Kevin, looking at each of them, “He won’t listen.”

“Yeah, he will,” toned Brian softly, “He talks if you ask... Or make it obvious that you ain’t gonna back off until he 'fesses up.”

Kevin nodded thoughtfully, “We’ll do that then, before he breaks.”

“Okay,” breathed AJ, calming somewhat, “Let’s get outta this psychiatrist funk we’re in and back to work. We got a concert to practice for.”

Howie smiled, “You won’t be so eager when you meet up with Fatima. She’s gonna hone in on you the most, just because you always spite her with that smart mouth of yours.”

AJ paused, “On second thought, I think I left my dancin’ shoes at home. I’ll just go and pick them up. Be right back guys...”

Kevin gripped the back of AJ’s neck with his good hand as he turned to leave, effectively capturing the potential escapee, “Oh, no ya don’t. You’re facin’ the firin’ squad the same as the rest of us.”

Brian cringed slightly at his cousin’s choice of words, “Did ya have to put it in those particular words, Kev?”

Kevin sent Brian an apologetic look, biting his bottom lip, “Sorry, ‘Rok, but we really ought'ta get goin’. Nick’ll pro’bly be done with rehearsal by the time we get our butts in gear.”

“Or sittin’ on his rear, doin’ nothin’,” grinned AJ, “He ain’t gonna do anything without us there.”

Howie sighed, “Let’s go, already.”

Brian and Howie started walking back to the stadium, Kevin in tow and dragging AJ by the back of the neck, the sunglasses clad rebel voicing his protests the whole way. The police officers that were in the background the whole time looked at each other and shrugged. They accepted the fact that they were just blatantly ignored and followed their charges back to the stadium, regretting the tongue lashing they would receive from Chief O’Rielly when he found out about this latest incident.

~/~/~/~/~()~~~~~

Nick looked up from where he stood as his tardy band mates entered the arena, but didn’t move from his position against the stage stairs. He leaned further into the smooth, metal guard rail and sighed, his hands tugging on the end of his Buccaneers jersey. While waiting for the guys, Nick had went ahead and changed into the spare clothes he had at the arena. Now he just wanted to get to work so his mind would be on something besides what had just happened. He shifted his stance and flinched, his leg muscles having cramped after standing still for so long after he had just stretched them to the limits. A quarter ton pick-up sure was a good motivator for a fast running time.

Nick paused in thought, maybe it wasn’t such a good thing to start all that dancing. Nick leaned his head back. Oh, just great. Now I’m regretting gettin’ to work.

“Hey, Frack!” called Brian, suddenly appearing at Nick’s side. “You doin’ okay?”

Nick nodded, “Yeah, I’m fine. Guess it’s time to get to work, huh?”

“Nah,” voiced AJ as he settled in a cushy arena chair, propping his feet on an adjacent chair and crossing his arms behind his head, “I don’t see Fatima, so it’s not time to get busy yet.” AJ feigned a yawn, “Wake me when she gets here.”

Just then, Fatima breezed into the arena. She caught sight of AJ and grinned, walking up behind him and then reaching and throwing his legs off the chair. AJ was effectively flipped off of his chair and onto the cement floor with a thump, “Rise and shine, Bone!” Fatima smiled wolfishly, staring from the other Backstreet Boys to the one at her feet, “Now, mind tellin’ me why the hell you guys are thirty minutes late?”

The guys all glanced at each other, realizing that Fatima didn’t know about the drive by shooting. Kevin cleared his throat, “Well, ya see, Fatima... We uh... Um, we were kinda detained by... uh, circumstances beyond our control.”

Fatima looked utterly confused, “Huh?”

AJ felt anger simmer within him and glared up at the choreographer, blurting out, “We were just shot at by some maniacs in a big ass pick-up truck, who then thought it sportin’ to try and make little Nicky a pancake in the parking lot!”

Fatima’s jaw dropped, her eyes wide in shock as she stared at AJ. AJ got up from the floor, biting out, “So, are we excused?”

Fatima shook her head slightly, the information sinking in. She gazed at the five men in concern, “My God... I didn’t know... Are you okay? You didn’t get hurt, did you? I didn’t know... I’m sorry.”

Kevin glared at AJ while addressing Fatima, “It ain’t your fault, Fatima. Yes, we are fine. Nick had a bit of a close call... But we’re okay. We just wanna get on with rehearsals, we need to get our minds off of this business for a little while.”

Fatima quickly nodded, “Sure, we can get started right away... and, I really do hate what’s goin’ on, you guys. I just found out last night, it being on the news, and they didn’t say all that much.” She paused, tilting her head at them, “You sure you want to go on with the concert? I’m sure the fans would understand. They wouldn’t want you in danger just for them, I’m sure of it.”

Nick shook his head, his mouth set in a firm line, “We’re doin’ it. We said we would and we will. No matter what.”

Kevin and AJ nodded in agreement, AJ’s face still set in an angry countenance. Brian and Howie, though, looked a little hesitant. Howie shifted his feet slightly, speaking softly, “Maybe we ought to postpone it.” Three heads snapped in his direction.

AJ narrowed his eyes, “What?”

Howie swallowed, his eyes nervous as they flicked from face to face, “I mean, we’d still do it and all, just after that woman gets arrested. It’d be safer.”

“I agree with Howie,” toned Brian, stepping up beside the Latino. He was met with three surprised faces, Nick staring at him in disbelief.

“What the hell do you mean, you agree?” asked Nick, staring at Brian as if he didn’t know him. “You don’t want to do the concert?”

“Now, hold on,” defended Brian, raising his hands slightly, “I never said that. Just that I think it’s a good idea that we put it off until this fiasco is over.”

Howie nodded, more confident with the support of Brian, “Like Fatima said, the fans would understand. We’ll do the concert, just later. No big deal.”

“No big deal??” repeated AJ, his wide eyes pinning his best friend back, “This isn’t just about the fans, Howie. It’s about us. What are we sayin’ if we don’t go through with the concert, huh? Not to the fans or media, but to us. What does that say about us? What does it tell us?”

He was met with silence. AJ threw his hands up, beginning to pace, “The Backstreet Boys can’t handle it, the Backstreet Boys are pushovers, the Backstreet Boys are scared, or maybe, the Backstreet Boys can’t take the heat so they pull out.” AJ stopped, looking at his four friends’ shocked faces. He pointed a finger to his chest, “I ain’t gonna back down just because it’s the easier thing to do. I’ve gone through plenty of shit in my life, but I’ve never ran and hid with my tail tucked between my legs. I sure as hell ain’t gonna start now!” AJ took a breath, looking from face to face, “We went through this crap before, not because we had a choice, but because he had to. Now we do have a choice, but there shouldn’t be a decision to make. We stick this through to the end and come out fighting. We’ve been through the ringer more than once, but we never gave up. The Backstreet Boys do NOT give up. As long as we’ve got each other to pull one another through, we’ll be the one’s who come out on top. I don’t give a shit what that mad bitch thinks, we are the ones in control. We’ll win her game.”

AJ clenched his fists at his sides, taking deep breaths in an effort to calm himself down after his outburst. Howie blinked and slowly sank down to sit on the stage stairs, taken aback. Brian looked at AJ with raised eyebrows, obviously impressed. Nick was shocked at first, then seemed to take on a pensive expression, gazing at something only he could see. Kevin had the smallest of smiles on his face, a sense of pride shining in his eyes as he watched AJ get his control back. Fatima was looking at AJ as if she’d never seen him before.

AJ crossed his arms, “We’re doing the concert.”

Howie looked up at his friend, slowly nodding, “Yeah, okay AJ. We’ll do the concert.”

Brian smiled, “Damn, Bone. Where the hell did that come from?”

AJ ducked his head, cracking a smile, “It’s always been there, Bri’, just never had a reason to come out.”

“Well, hell,” continued Brian, a twinkle in his eyes, “We can’t say AJ don’t have a way with words now, can we?”

A soft round of laughter rolled from the group, easing the sudden heavy air surrounding them. Fatima snapped to attention first, clapping her hands together and causing the five singer’s to jump, “Well! What are you standin’ around for?! You get them cute butts up them stairs and groovin’ liked they’ve never grooved before! We got a finale concert to put on tonight!” Fatima pointed to the stage, “March!”

AJ’s familiar smirk made its sorely missed appearance, his face then falling serious and true. He made a stiff salute to the choreographer, “Yes, ma’am! Proceeding as ordered, ma’am!”

AJ then made a pronounced turn and literally marched up the stage stairs, chanting in a loud and clear voice while nudging Howie up along the way, “Left, left... Left, right, left... Left, left... Left, right, left...”

Howie grinned at his friend’s familiar behavior, jumping to his feet and following the marching rebel. He goaded Nick and Brian and they soon joined him, all four marching in a single file line onto the stage. Kevin smiled at Fatima’s amused face, then shook his head and jumped up the stairs, rounding out the line by marching behind his four band mates as AJ continued the chant.

“...Left, left... Left, right, left... Left, left... Company, HALT!” AJ stopped them abruptly, Brian not paying too much attention and slamming face first into the back of Nick, who then stumbled into Howie, who in turn fell into AJ. AJ staggered slightly and glared behind him. Brian shrugged. The line faced the right side of the stage, AJ cleared his throat, “About... FACE!”

Five Backstreet Boys snapped around, AJ glanced down the line as he faced the chair filled arena. He sighed, then cleared his throat loudly. Brian straightened from his foot tapping stance, turning his head to look at AJ, “Huh?” AJ gave him a look, tilting his head toward the arena. Brian looked behind him, recognition dawning on the smooth Southern features, “Oh!” Brian quickly spun around, now facing the right way. He looked at AJ sheepishly, “Oops.”

AJ looked to the stadium ceiling, mouthing, “Why me?”

They all turned their attention to the sound of laughter, their eyes falling on Fatima, who leaned on the stage for support as she shook in merriment. They smiled at each other and waited until the black woman regained some control. She smiled up at them, “Glad to see you guys still got yer sense of humor, but enough fun and games! Time to get to work! Marcus!” she yelled out, “Hit it!”

AJ’s computerized voice soon filled the stadium, followed by the up-tempo drums and keyboard, then Brian’s voice emanated from the loud speakers above and around them, “We’ve been through days of thunder...”

~/~/~/~/~(four hours later)~~~~~

“I... can’t... move...” gasped Howie, sprawled on his back on the stage, staring up at the ceiling far above him. His long hair sweat soaked and clinging to his scalp, forehead, and neck uncomfortably.

AJ collapsed into a chair, throwing his head and arms back, “Who the hell said we wanted to do rehearsals?!?”

“Me,” came the grunted one word reply. AJ managed to turn his head to the designated leader of their fair group. Kevin stood practically being held up by a large speaker, eyes closed. He looked like he was asleep.

AJ snorted, “And how do you feel about that idea of yours now?”

Kevin grunted, his feet slipping on the stage floor and causing him to slide down the speaker until he was sprawled half against the speaker, half on the floor. AJ scoffed, muttering, “I thought so.”

“I’m thris-ty!”

AJ cringed at the high pitched, slightly muffled, tired sounding whine. “Nick,” he sighed, leaning further into his chair in exhaustion, “There are water bottles all over this damned stage!”

“I know!” retaliated the blond, sprawled not too far from Howie. Only Nick was face down on the stage, his sweat soaked head buried in his arms like a pillow. He turned his head up to reveal baleful blue eyes, “There’s one right in front of me, but I can’t reach it! Do you have any idea how frustrating that is?!?”

AJ grinned. The kid was serious, “Nick,” he said slowly, “Move your lazy ass and then you’ll reach the damned water bottle!”

The words slowly processed in the exhaustion fogged mind, then the whine returned, “I don’t know if I can!”

AJ was reaching his wits end, “Try!”

“Fine!” sulked the youngest Backstreet Boy. He let out a pitiful moan, slowly pushing himself up on his elbows, the water bottle a tantalizing three feet away. A pathetic groan emanated from his lips as he lurched to his hands and knees.

AJ groaned, “Oh, for Christ’s sake! Ya think you can be anymore melodramatic, Nicky?!?”

Nick evidently had enough strength to give AJ the finger, as he began to crawl to the sorely wanted water. Nick threw himself out at it, one hand grasping it as he collapsed in exhaustion. He weakly pulled the bottle to him, his mouth watering in anticipation, but as he lifted it off the floor, his brow furrowed. He stared at he clear bottle, his face darkening as he suddenly threw it away in disgust, “Oh, for the love of GOD! The damn thing is EMPTY!!”

AJ burst out laughing, weakly drawing his arms to his stomach as the small bodily function was taxing him even more. Nick glared at him and wished he still had the stupid bottle, then he could chuck it at AJ’s grinning face. Instead, all Nick could do was sigh in frustration, muttering out a half hearted, “Oh, shut up, AJ!”

AJ only laughed louder, his gleeful cries drowning out the snores of Kevin and Howie. Nick stared up at the ceiling, his face twisted in an angry pout as he asked, “Where the hell is Brian?!”

Nick looked at AJ and received a shrug as his laughter paused for the moment. Just then, Brian jogged up the stage stairs, looking quite refreshed. He obviously had just taken a shower. He smiled, “Hey, guys! Wha’cha doin’?!”

Nick’s eyes glazed over and his mouth watered, he licked his lips. There, in Brian’s hand, was a full bottle of water, “Brian? Can I have that water?”

Brian stopped, looking at his bottle of water and then to the look on Nick’s face. He grinned, “No way, Frack! I got up off my butt for it, so it’s mine!” Brian hugged the precious liquid to his chest for emphasis.

AJ wasn’t sure, but he swore he heard Nick growl. He watched in tired amusement as Nick fairly screamed, “Bri-an!”

Brian smirked, “Nopers, Nicky-poo! Mine, mine, mine!”

AJ was positive this time, Nick growled. Then the tall blond threw himself to his feet, all weakness gone as he charged the startled Brian. Brian blinked and then snapped out of his stupor, “Oh, crap!”

Then Brian spun around and ran off the stage, a very ticked and motivated Nick Carter on his heels. AJ grinned as he closed his eyes, the sound of running footsteps and the pleas of Brian’s fading voice reaching his ears.

“Nick! Hey, c’mon!... I didn’t mean it! I was teasin’!... ...Damn, when’d you get so fast?!... ...Where the hell is the damn door in this place?!?... Ah-HA!...” -THUMP- “Son of a-! Who the hell locked the door?!?... ...Hey, Nick, buddy... All right! Take the stupid water bottle!...” SPLASH. Sputtering. “Now... THAT was uncalled for.”

AJ chuckled, then sighed. He forced himself to his feet. He wanted and needed a shower, desperately. Forcing himself to his feet, AJ walked across the stage, stepping over Howie’s softly snoring form and glancing across at Kevin, who was now laying on the stage. AJ smirked, Kevin was layin ON TOP of his bandaged arm. He didn’t want to be around when Kevin woke up, he’d be in pain and pissed off.

AJ smiled to himself, stepping down the stairs. He’d just found out that when Kevin had an injury, he forgot about it constantly. AJ couldn’t count how many times the eldest Backstreet Boy had slammed his arm into something during rehearsals. It was damn funny though when the usually reserved man spouted strings of curses, even AJ had blushed at some of the phrases uttered.

Turning to the arena exit, AJ caught sight of a bickering Frick and Frack, arm motions and all as they argued back and forth, water dripping off Brian’s face. AJ didn’t even want to know what they were arguing about, with them two, he probably wouldn’t understand anyway. Reaching the door, he nodded curtly to the officer guarding it, noticing the amused look on the cop’s face. Huh, if he thinks that is amusing, he should see us when we really get going.

Entering the hallway, AJ found two more officers on that side of the door and nodded to them too. Jeez, how many cops do they got here? If they’re at all the exits... Jeez. Who’s watching Orlando? The whole damn police precinct was at the stadium!

AJ walked down the hall, taking a right a few yards down. He furrowed his brow as he passed by several more cops, wondering what the hell they were doing in the halls. Shrugging it off, AJ walked several more yards before turning left, down a longer, more vacant hallway. AJ took a few more lefts and rights and finally arrived at the locker rooms with the showers. He quickly went to his locker and yanked out his bag, pulling from it a couple white towels and some new clothes. He then stripped his grimy clothes off and took his shower, reveling in the soothing water as it hit his strained muscles. AJ extended his shower a little longer than normal, simply relaxing. When he finally got out and dressed into the fresh clothes, he felt revived. He never knew a shower could feel so good.

With a sigh, AJ stuck his bag back into his locker and, resting a rolled up white towel over his shoulders, left the locker room. He used the end of the towel with one hand to dry the ends of his hair, rubbing it over his head as he walked back to the arena. After he was satisfied his hair was dry enough, AJ let it fall back over his shoulders. He continued to walk through the spacious halls, casually taking his time.

AJ soon began to mull over the situation, trying to figure out an angle that the woman seeking revenge on them claimed to be working. She seemed to be making it so personal, but she hadn’t taken it over the line... yet. AJ paused in his thoughts, realizing he was the only member left to have an ‘accident’ befall him. A chill suddenly went through him at the epiphony. The others had all experienced a close call, but he hadn’t. So lost in his musings, AJ didn’t realize until too late that he’d gotten lost... again!

AJ stopped, frowning. He looked around, trying to figure out where he was in the vast stadium’s halls. He sighed in frustration, muttering under his breath, “All these damn halls look the same! How the hell are ya supposed to make heads or tails of it?!”

AJ slowly pirouetted, once again taking in his position. He was getting ticked. He crossed his arms and leaned against the wall, silently fuming. He really didn’t want to wander all over the halls, only to get even more lost. He sighed, knowing he had no other choice. AJ pushed away from the wall, his hands moving up to grasp the ends of the white towel, pulling the damp material taunt over his neck as he again walked down the hallway. I really hate these damn catacomb wannabe stadiums. It’s like they want people to get lost!

As AJ took a right down a darker hallway, he went unawares of a dark figure within the shadows of a nearby closet. A gloved hand emerged from a dark pocket, holding a strange looking remote with several buttons, one of which was a deep red, another green. Along with these button was a metal switch. The gloved fingers gripped the device as AJ continued past, the thumb moving to cover the green button, pressing it. An almost imperceptible beep sounded, causing the dark figure to look up sharply.

AJ paused, he swore he just heard something. He slowly turned around, an uneasy feeling turning his stomach. Nothing was behind him, just the empty hall. Frowning, AJ released one end of the towel and ran the hand through his damp hair, nervous. Narrowing his eyes momentarily, AJ turned back around and continued down the hall.

The dark figure sagged in relief, quickly moving the gloved thumb to he switch, flipping it. The red button suddenly flashed brighter, the device activated. The figure checked AJ’s progress as it slid the thumb over the bright red button, seeing him to be in position. With a smile, the thumb depressed the red button, then the figure leaned back to enjoy the show.

AJ’s steps suddenly faltered, a gut feeling tripping him up. He stopped walking, darting his eyes around the hall in apprehension. He abruptly furrowed his eyebrows, tilting his head and sniffing audibly. AJ frowned.

“What the hell?” he muttered aloud, sniffing again, “Why do I smell smoke?”

Wary, AJ slowly continued down the hall, a familiar and missed sound suddenly reaching his ears. His eyes widened, his steps coming faster.

“Squeaker?!?” he cried, hearing his lost pet’s terrified squeaks. He rounded the corner and stopped dead, his sneakers screeching on the polished linoleum. Before him was another hall, but what caught his attention was one of the doorways. Smoke leaked out from under the door, slowly making the air around him hazy. AJ could hear his squirrel’s panicked squeaks coming from inside.

AJ rushed to the door, calling out to his pet. He hesitantly felt the door, then the doorknob, finding both cool. Satisfied, AJ tried the door, relieved when it opened. Smoke billowed out at him, causing him to cough as he inhaled some of the murky fumes.

“Damn,” he wheezed, trying to see into the hazy room. He knew he should try and find the others and the police, but he could hear Squeaker within and he didn’t know where he was anyways.

Then, through the haze, AJ spotted Squeaker. He was confined within a cage that was suspended above the floor a good five feet. It swayed slightly with the motions of his pet squirrel within as he desperately tried to escape.

Without hesitation, AJ entered the smokey room, approaching his pet’s cage. As he reached up for the latch on the cage’s wire door, he heard a noise from behind him. Jerking the wire door open and releasing his squirrel, AJ also looked behind him. All he saw was a dark arm and hand and then the door slammed shut.

Pure fear filled AJ as he gazed at the now closed door, his only exit. AJ dove at the shut door, grasping the knob and trying to turn it, not surprised to find it locked. Panicking, AJ could feel the small claws of Squeaker digging into his shoulder, the poor animal scared to death and breathing rather loudly, almost labored. AJ’s eyes began to water, the smoke increasing. Then AJ found the source of the thick smoke in the maintenance closet he was trapped in, the circuit breaker box, one of the many in the stadium, was spewing bright orange flames, barely discernible through the grayish white smoke. They now held AJ’s entire attention, since the now closed door had cast the room into darkness, the fire, though small, was still much too big for AJ to even attempt to put out. The flames now the only source of light and they cast the room in a wavering orange hue.

AJ pounded his fists on the door, yelling out for help until his voice cracked painfully and he suddenly broke out into a coughing fit, tears streaming down his face as he bent over with the force of the convulsions. He abruptly dropped to the ground, laying as flat as he could in the crowded room as the heat escalated and the smoke thickened above him. Finding some respite from the smoke, AJ hugged the floor while breathing in shallow gasps, becoming desperate for air. Beside him, Squeaker huddled in much the same fashion, the little body pressing as close as it could to AJ’s frame.

Finding a moment of clarity in his dimming thoughts, AJ pulled the damp towel off of his shoulders. He covered Squeaker with one end and pressed the other over his nose and mouth. The make shift filter blocked some of the thickening smoke, the oxygen in the captured water, though very little, helped his breathing, if only for a few extra minutes.

Soon, AJ felt his senses leaving him, becoming weaker and weaker as the smoke soon overpowered him, the heat of the fire behind him growing in intensity. AJ’s half hooded glazed eyes stared blankly as darkness slowly encroached the edges of his dimmed vision, his lungs seeming on fire themselves. As consciousness began to leave him, AJ choked out one word...

“Help...”