- Text Size +
Nick and Brian noisily clambered onto the stage, still arguing about only God knows what. Kevin and Howie still lay unmoving, dead asleep. As Nick and Brian approached their sleeping band mates’ forms they suddenly stop, their words abruptly falling away. At the same instant, Howie and Kevin snap awake, looking around with alert eyes.

Kevin grimaced at the pain spiking from his left forearm, but pushed it aside. He closed his eyes momentarily, furrowing his brow. He suddenly had the most sickening feeling in the pit of his stomach, his heart thumping madly in his chest. Something was wrong. He opened his eyes and could see the same uneasy looks on his three friends’ faces. Kevin paused, Three?

Kevin pushed to his feet, fixing Nick, Brian, and Howie with frightful green eyes, “Where’s AJ?”

Howie tensed, his heart skipping a beat for reasons he had yet to understand, “AJ? I thought...” Howie trailed off, his nervous brown eyes darting around the stage.

Brian swallowed, “I thought he was up here.”

Nick seemed to pale as he brought a hand to his chest, feeling his heart pounding from within. He pinned Kevin with terrified blue orbs, “Oh, God... He’s in trouble, I know it. We have to find him!”

Kevin nodded, his eyes becoming determined, “If he ain’t here, he went to shower. It’s the only reason he’d leave.” As Howie got to his feet, Kevin continued, “We go there, now.”

Without a word, the three followed Kevin’s purposeful strides down the stage stairs and toward the arena exit. The closer they got to the door, the stronger the panic they collectively felt grew. All four were soon in a dead run as Kevin blew past the guard and through the heavy door, his momentum carrying him further than he anticipated and into the opposite hall wall with a thud. Quickly recovering from the impact, Kevin whirled to face the four cops gazing at him in surprise, “You! Follow us! AJ’s gone!... You!” Kevin pointed to one of the cops, “Call an ambulance, NOW! Use your radios to tell ‘em where we’re at!” Then Kevin and the others took off toward the locker room in an all out run, four cops on their heels, one lagging as he frantically dialed 911 on a cell phone.

Howie glanced in front of him at Kevin, calling out, “Why the ambulance, Kevin?”

Howie watched as Kevin’s head bowed slightly as they ran, his chest tightening at the reply he received, “Just being realistic, Howie.”

As silence fell over their running forms, the four Backstreet Boys each had their own expression of anguish and fear on their faces, their motions tense as they flew down halls and around corners, heads flipping side to side for a sign of their missing friend. When they were halfway to the locker room, Kevin skidded to a stop, Nick and Howie slamming into him at the suddenness.

Kevin’s pained green eyes stared in fear down an adjacent hallway, a back hall that was hardly used since the one he stood in was easier access to the lockers. His eyes slowly registered the smoke that billowed from under a doorway in the center of the hall, the acrid smell assaulting his senses and snapping him back to reality as Howie’s voice rang out.

“AJ!” Howie knew AJ was in there, he knew it. He pushed past Kevin and ran to the door, shouting, “No! AJ?! Oh, God... This ain’t happening!”

Howie barely acknowledged it as his three friends joined him, too busy trying to open the door. Grasping the handle, Howie gasped and jerked his hand back, “Ow! Damn, it’s hot!”

Nick banged his fists hopelessly against the warm door, “AJ! ... C’mon, answer me! AJ!”

Brian raised his hands and gripped Nick’s shoulders, pulling him away from his fruitless endeavor. He tried to think of something, but his panicked mind came up blank.

“Back away!”

Brian, Howie, and Nick snapped their eyes to Kevin, who they hadn’t noticed leave. He now stood rigidly with a fire extinguisher in one hand, a policeman’s gun in the other. He shoved the extinguisher into Howie’s shocked hands, turning to the door and pushing Nick and Brian out out of the way, “Move.”

Brian stared at his cousin, eyeing the gun, “Kev, wha-”

He didn’t get to finish as Kevin lifted and aimed the gun, pulling the trigger. All three jumped noticeably at the loud crack, their eyes widening at the scene. The bullet exploded through the door’s lock, snapping it in two. Handing the gun back to the shocked cop, who didn’t even know Kevin had taken it from him, Kevin whipped the damaged door open.

Kevin almost fell back at the wave of heat and smoke that seemed to explode out at him, coughing and shying away. Nick and Brian ducked down, missing some of the escaping smoke. They fell to their knees, Brian reaching into the dark room. He gave a cry as his hand connected something covered in cloth, he closed his hand around it and pulled with a grunt, his other hand joining the effort. He soon had AJ’s form part way out, with a deep breath, Brian looped his arms under AJ’s and hauled back.

As soon as AJ was clear, Howie leapt into the room and extinguished the flames, which were consuming the entire back wall. Eyes watering and his breath coming in wheezes, Howie stumbled out of the room, dropping the now empty red canister on the floor with a hollow clang. He leaned against the wall, trying to get his breath back in the smoke clouded hall. He was somewhat recovered when a terrified shout snapped him alert, feeling as if his heart stopped.

“He’s not breathing!” Brian frantically looked over AJ, taking in the slack face, the normally pink lips pale and outlined with a tinge of blue, the tanned complexion an unnatural shade of white. Brian pressed his fingers to AJ’s neck, sighing in some small measure of relief, “He has a weak pulse, but he’s not breathing.” Brian looked up at his cousin, barely acknowledging the cop in the background shouting directions into a radio, “Kevin.”

Kevin nodded, needing no further urging. He knelt opposite of Brian beside AJ’s still form, sending his cousin a glance before trailing his fingers down the center of AJ’s chest from his neck, finding the spot and locking his hands together. He gave Brian a nod and Brian tilted AJ’s head back, pinching his nose closed.

With a deep breath, Kevin began the count and depressions, “1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Breathe...” Brian leaned over and forced a breath into AJ’s mouth, Kevin counted again, gritting his teeth against the pain that shot up his arm, “1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Breathe...” Brian repeated his earlier action, Kevin counted, “1, 2, 3, ...”

Nick could only sit back and watch, his stunned form propped against the wall he sat against. His glistening blue eyes stared unblinking, the scene playing out before him being lost somewhere between his eyes and brain. He couldn’t move.

Howie stared in horror as Kevin and Brian continued their efforts to revive AJ, the wall he leaned against being the only thing holding him up. Blinking, a movement at his feet caught his eye. He looked down and saw a white towel bunched up at his feet moving, like something was caught within. Falling to his knees, Howie reached a shaking hand out, pulling the towel away from whatever was struggling within. Howie’s eyes crinkled and several tears escaped as Squeaker appeared before him. The squirrel seemed a little disoriented, but other than that, fine. Howie reached forward and picked the exhausted squirrel up, cradling the small animal to his chest as he stood, his eyes settling on his best friend, “Aw... AJ, damn it... Why’d ya do it?”

A sudden flurry of activity descended upon the desperate group, EMTs quickly yet gently moving Brian and Kevin out of the way. Kevin didn’t want to move.

“Hey, c’mon Kevin,” urged a familiar voice, “You gotta let us help him.”

Kevin looked up at Alec’s kind face, the hazel eyes concerned. Kevin nodded and began to move, “Okay.”

Brian stumbled out of the way, trying to give the EMTs room. He watched as they examined AJ and called out to each other.

“Swelling of the airway tissues is closing off the airway!”

“We’re losin’ him!”

“We gotta insert an endotracheal tube! Force his airway open!”

Brian watched in stunned silence as the EMTs forced a clear plastic tube down AJ’s throat, not realizing that he grimaced at the sight. An air bag was attached to the end of the tube and one of the EMTs rhythmically compressed it.

“Okay! We got ‘im!”

“All right, let’s get him loaded up. Have the O2 ready!”

As they loaded AJ’s form onto a gurney, Alec turned to the four singers. He bit his lip, “We’re takin’ him to the ER. Only one of you can ride along.”

Kevin looked at Howie, seeing the intense worry and fear in the brown eyes. Kevin rested a hand on Howie’s shoulder, “Go on, D’. We’ll meet you there.”

Howie hesitated slightly, looking from Kevin to AJ’s still face and back to Kevin. Kevin squeezed the shoulder in his grasp, “Go.”

With a slight nod, Howie handed Kevin Squeaker and followed the EMTs as they wheeled AJ out of the hall exit and into the late morning sun. Kevin stared at the small animal in his arms and cursed, now knowing what had coerced AJ to enter the burning maintenance closet.

Brian watched until the door slammed shut and closed off his view of his two friends, closing his eyes with a sigh while running a hand through his tousled hair. He turned around as the wail of the ambulance grew faint, glancing at Kevin who had Squeaker cradled in his hands. Brian frowned, not liking what the animal’s presence portrayed. The sound of a shallow gasp of air caught his attention, causing him to turn and look behind him. He felt his gut clench as the huddled form of Nick filled his vision.

“Nick?” Brian kneeled beside his friend. Nick was sitting with his back to the wall, his knees drawn up towards his chest with his elbows leaning on their support. His short blond hair fell over his forehead as it leaned on his clasped hands, his whole form rocking back and forth. Brian bit his lip, glancing up at Kevin’s worried face, “Nick, you okay?”

A short, hoarse sob escaped Nick’s lips as he snapped his face around to look at Brian, “No!... I’m not okay.”

Brian had to lean back, the raw anguish displayed on Nick’s tear streaked face startling him to speechlessness. Nick clenched his eyes shut, shaking his head as he unclasped his hands, raising them to rub his face and eyes. He raked them trough his hair, his bangs flipping back over his forehead. Nick stared at nothing as he spoke in a tearful voice, “God no, Brian. How the hell can I be okay? AJ-” Nick closed his eyes, several tears sliding down his wet face, he drew in a trembling breath, “AJ... He’s... he’s....”

“He’s gonna be fine,” stated Brian firmly, gripping Nick’s arm, “It’s AJ, he’s tougher than anyone. He’ll be fine.”

Nick shook his head, his eyes boring into Brian’s, “He didn’t look fine, Brian. He wasn’t breathing...”

“Hey, c’mon, Nick,” spoke Kevin, his voice having a suspicious catch in it, “They got him breathing, Frack. He’ll be okay. ... C’mon, we have to go.”

Nick never looked up as Brian and Kevin gripped his arms and hauled him to his feet, all three turning and walking out the exit, several police officers sadly shadowing them. They walked around the corner of the stadium in silence, eventually arriving at Brian’s SUV and climbing in, Brian and Kevin, with Squeaker asleep in his lap, in front and Nick in back. As soon as the police car that had waited for their arrival waved them on, they drove to the hospital. The entire trip, no one spoke. Perhaps, they couldn’t.

As Brian pulled to a stop in the hospital parking lot, a weight seemed to push them down. Brian’s hands flexed around the steering wheel before he relinquished his hold, twisting in his seat to release his seat belt. The silence between them was deafening, but none of them could manage the effort of speaking. Fear and worry had stolen their strength away. As they exited the SUV, they were immediately accompanied by several police officers, who followed them as they almost reluctantly entered the hospital’s front doors.

Brian barely acknowledged the nurse as he asked the whereabouts of AJ McLean, explaining that he was brought in just a few minutes ago. She directed him and the others to the waiting room, since AJ was still being treated. Brian was glad she hadn’t noticed Squeaker in Kevin’s hand, which he kept to the side of his body to shield the animal from sight. Brian finally glanced at Kevin and Nick’s faces before turning to go to the waiting room where Howie most likely awaited them. Nick’s face was blank, the previous tears gone as if they weren’t ever there. Kevin’s face was caught in-between controlled and torn, his jaw set while his eyes shined with tears he held back. Brian found himself to be calm, almost detached. He didn’t think it had hit him yet, hadn’t sunk in.

Brian cleared his throat, finally finding his voice, “C’mon, let’s go see how Howie’s doin’.”

Nick said nothing while Kevin pursed his lips and nodded, then paused and roughly swiped his free hand through his dark hair, “I can’t believe we’re doin’ this, it shouldn’t of happened.”

Brian sighed, “Well, it did, Kev. We gotta face it and believe AJ’ll be fine. He’s got to be.”

Nick’s face seemed to flinch slightly, but Brian wasn’t sure. They walked to the waiting room and upon entering, found Howie in a chair, head in his hands. No one else occupied the room. The police watched Nick, Brian, and Kevin enter, then stood outside the door.

Brian fell into a chair beside Howie, leaning over to try and see his face while placing a hand on Howie’s shoulder, “Hey, ‘D. You doin’ okay?”

Howie didn’t raise his head, “My best friend is in the hospital, Brian. What do you think?”

Brian worried his bottom lip, sending glances at Nick and Kevin, who now occupied the chairs opposite him. Kevin had placed Squeaker on the next chair’s cushion, where the squirrel still slept in an exhausted sleep, curled in a tight ball. Brian looked back at Howie, “I’m sorry, ‘D. I just wanted to know from you, I know this is hard.”

He heard Howie sigh, then he sat back as Howie straightened in his chair and looked at him. The brown eyes were red from crying, a scared look on the Spanish features, “They haven’t said anything, Bri’. Why haven’t they come said somethin’? They’re takin’ too long... “

Brian again bit his lip, his chest tightening as the reality of why he was sitting there finally sank in. He stared at the floor as he gripped Howie’s arm briefly, “He’ll be okay, ‘D. AJ will be fine...”

Nick broke, “He wasn’t breathing, Brian! How the hell can he be okay if he wasn’t breathing?!?”

Brian watched as Howie paled before him, the brown eyes filling with clear liquid once again. Brian turned to Nick, sending him a brief glare, “They got him breathing, Nick. We told you that. AJ’ll be fine.”

Nick scoffed, his bright blue eyes narrowing as he leaned back in his chair while Kevin stared at him with wide eyes. Nick lowered his voice, “He’ll be fine, you say. You don’t know that, Brian. He could be dead for all we know.”

“Nick!” snapped Kevin, finally brought out of his shock. He blinked his green eyes, releasing several long held tears. “Don’t say that! Don’t you ever say that!”

Nick’s eyes flashed as he faced Kevin, “Don’t you even start tellin’ me what to do, Kevin! I’m freakin’ 21 years old! Why don’t you do me a favor and shut u-”

Nick’s voice broke off abruptly, his face suddenly paling. Brian blinked, Nick looked terrified. What the hell was that? Brian glanced at Howie and Kevin, who both stared at Nick’s suddenly silent form. Brian shifted his seat, “Nick?”

Nick blinked, then his face scrunched up in pain. He leaned over and held his head in his hands, his fingers threading through his blond hair, “Oh, God...”

Kevin placed a hesitant hand on Nick’s back, “Nick? What’s wrong? Why’d you say all that?”

Nick’s hands drew away from his hair and covered his face, he shook his head. Kevin felt Nick begin to shake, then the sound of muffled sobs filled the room. Howie got up and went to sit on the other side of Nick, his own tears still present. He reached his hands out and pulled Nick’s hands away from his face, the blond not able to resist Howie’s firm grip. Howie frowned at Nick’s clenched eyes as his form still shook from the sobbing that he now tried to get back under control, “What is it, Nick? Tell us.”

Nick tried to take long breaths, finally opening his eyes and staring at the floor. He set his mouth in a firm line, jaw set as tears still slid down his face from his glistening eyes.

Brian saw this and scooted his chair so it sat right in front of Nick, “C’mon, Nick. Your not tellin’ us somethin’. Spill.”

Nick lifted his head, his eyes squinting as he looked at Brian, then Howie, then Kevin, and back to Brian. He sniffed, then spoke in a small voice, “I yelled at him.”

Brian glanced at Kevin and Howie, “At who? AJ?”

Nick bit his lip and nodded. He twisted his hands out of Howie’s grasp and leaned back, bringing one hand up to grip his hair, “God... The last thing I do is yell at him... I told him to shut up! And now he’s...”

“Hey, c’mon Nick,” soothed Brian, putting a smile on his face, “He knows you didn’t mean anything by it. This is AJ we’re talkin’ about!”

Nick glared, “Brian, he could die. AJ could die... and the last thing I told him was shut up. I could never take it back!”

“Nick,” spoke Kevin, waiting until Nick’s eyes landed on him, “AJ will get through this, I believe that. I believe it in my heart, he’ll make it.”

Nick stared at Kevin, the green eyes staring back resolved in his words, determined. Nick could only nod his head. If Kevin and the others can believe that... how come I can’t?

“Um... Excuse me?”

Four worried faces snapped up at the new voice, each settling on the tall man in white that stood in the doorway of the waiting room, a clipboard in his hands. Howie stood, the others following suit.

The doctor smiled at them, “Are you here for an AJ McLean?”

Howie nodded, “How is he? Is he okay?”

The doctor continued to smile and glanced down at his clipboard before reaching a hand out to them, shaking their hands as he introduced himself, “I’m Dr. Anderson. I was the doctor who was assigned to your AJ.”

“Well, I’m Howie and that’s Brian, Kevin, and Nick,” replied Howie, gesturing to each one. “So, how is AJ?”

Dr. Anderson let out a sigh, his eyes glancing through his clipboard again, “Mr. McLean is a lucky man. For the amount of time that we surmise he was subjected to the smoke, he should of had some serious injury to his lungs, but surprisingly, there is none.” He paused, looking over the four, “They tell me that you performed CPR?”

Brian nodded, “Kev and I did... was that wrong?”

“Oh, no!” Dr. Anderson quickly answered, “On the contrary, you saved his life.”

Kevin smiled at Brian, mouthing ‘Thank God for 4-H.’ Brian nodded, grinning. He never thought what he had learned then would ever come in so handy, that’s the second time.

Mr. Anderson continued his explanation, “You kept his airway from swelling shut, which prevented serious injury to his lungs. Mr. McLean woke up briefly and was able to answer a few questions, he spoke of a damp towel that he’d covered his nose and mouth with. That, undoubtedly, prolonged his chances and stopped a majority of the fumes from entering his lungs.” Dr. Anderson looked confused for a moment, “Although, I have still to figure out why he kept mentioning the word ‘Squeaker’.” He shook his head and looked at his clipboard, missing the knowing smiles on the four’s faces.

The doctor continued, “Mr. McLean avoided smoke inhalation lung damage by his use of the damp towel and by your administration of CPR, plus the immediate medical attention and the subjection of pure oxygen. At the scene he needed the assistance of an endotracheal tube, which kept his airway open until he could be administered the O2. He is now breathing normally, so we have removed it. We do still have him on oxygen, just until his lungs adjust.” Dr. Anderson looked up and smiled, “He’ll be fine. I’m not even admitting him, he is free to go after a few hours.”

Smiles and relief broke out on each of their faces, Howie spoke, “Really? He’s fine? ... Can we see him?”

Dr. Anderson nodded, “Sure, if you’ll follow me...”

They began to follow him out when Kevin stopped. He nonchalantly turned and discreetly scooped up the sleeping Squeaker, then he glanced around. He grabbed a couple magazines and put one on either side of the squirrel, then carefully tucked them under his arm and hurried out of the room to catch up with the others, a smile on his face.

Dr. Anderson led them down several hallways and stopped at room 218, “Now, this room is only temporary. It was vacant so we placed him in it for safety and... security.” He sent them a knowing glance.

They nodded, understanding. No matter what happened, they were still a famous music group. With a smile, the doctor opened the door and gestured them in, “I’ll leave you to your privacy. All I ask is that you take it easy with him, his lungs aren’t damaged, but they will be somewhat strained for a little while.”

They nodded and entered the room, listening as the doctor closed the door and left. Slowly, they approached the far bed that a large window illuminated with the bright sunlight. They stopped at the bed and stared. AJ laid sleeping, his face as pale as before but his lips are their normal pink color underneath an oxygen mask instead of the remembered blue tinge. He looked so frail. It didn’t suit him.

Howie went and pulled a chair up to his friend’s side, sitting and then glancing at the others before tentatively speaking, “AJ? Hey, Bone... you wanna wake up for us?”

AJ’s head moved slightly, his eyelids fluttering. Kevin smiled and laid down the magazines on the end of the bed, reaching a hand out and pinching AJ’s toes hidden beneath the covers, “AJ, wake up!”

The foot jerked out of Kevin’s grasp and AJ snapped awake. He blinked and then looked for the culprit, his gaze landing on Kevin. He glared at the smiling face, then sighed and smiled, “Hey, guys.”

AJ’s voice was a low rasp, muffled even more by the oxygen mask. Kevin stayed at the end of the bed while Brian moved to stand beside Howie, grinning at AJ. Nick moved to the other side of AJ, but seemed more interested in looking out the large window then at AJ.

Howie grinned, “Hey, bud. How ya feelin’?”

AJ pushed himself up, grimacing, “Embarrassed. They made me wear one of those damned gowns!” AJ gestured to his attire, “AJ McLean don’t wear no gown!”

Howie, Brian, and Kevin burst out laughing and AJ smiled back, but he frowned when he looked over to Nick, who still stared out the window, “Hey, Kaos! What ya doin’ over there?”

Nick jumped slightly, then slowly turned around and looked at AJ, “Nothin’.”

AJ raised an eyebrow, raising a hand to adjust the mask over his nose and mouth, he was getting annoyed with it, “You gonna join the party here or keep to yerself?”

Nick shrugged, AJ sighed and looked at the others, wondering what was going on. Finding no answers, he turned back to Nick, “What’s wrong, kid?”

Nick stared for a minute, then whispered, “I’m sorry.”

Now both of AJ’s eyebrows rose, “Sorry? For what?”

“I yelled at you, told you to shut up.” Nick looked away.

AJ looked confused, then slowly remembered, “Aw hell, Nick! Yer upset over that? It didn’t mean anything, Frack. We were cranky after rehearsals, we always are. It was nothin’, Nick. Forget about it, I have.”

Nick’s blue eyes searched AJ’s face, “You mean it? Your okay with it?”

“Yep!” smiled AJ, “Now get over here!”

Nick looked down and grinned, then sat in the other chair beside AJ’s bed. He still kept his gaze down though, “Thanks, ‘J. I’m glad you’re gonna be okay.”

AJ watched Nick, then his face turned serious and he removed the mask from his face. Howie spoke, “AJ...”

AJ waved him off, he lifted an arm and slapped Nick on the shoulder. Nick looked at him with shining eyes and AJ reached his arms out, “C’mere, Nicky.”

Nick hesitated a second and then practically launched himself at AJ, hugging his friend tightly, his blond head buried in AJ’s chest, “Don’t you ever do that again, AJ. It hurts too much.”

AJ returned the hug, “Not if I can help it, Nicky. I didn’t like it anymore than you.”

A muffled squeak reached their ears and AJ stiffened. Nick leaned back and looked at the end of the bed, then laughed. AJ stared as another muffled squeak came from the magazines at his feet, a whiskered nose soon poking out from the papers, cautiously sniffing the air.

AJ’s jaw dropped, “Squeaker?!”

The nose paused, hearing the voice and then scrambling from the magazines with a loud squeak, running up to AJ’s shocked form. AJ caught the squirrel in mid leap and stared, then looked at Kevin and the others, “How the hell did you get him in here?”

“Very carefully,” smiled Brian, a little teary eyed after the previous display. That’s why we’re family. He thought, smiling at Nick, We’re here for each other. No matter what.

AJ smiled and looked back at his squirrel, “Man, am I ever glad to see you, buddy. That bitch didn’t hurt you, did she?”

Squeaker squeaked and then stuck out his tongue, shaking his head. AJ and the others burst out laughing, Howie stared at AJ, “How’d you teach him that?”

AJ smirked, “I didn’t. He’s smarter than you think.”

Kevin tapped AJ’s foot for his attention, “So, you ready to get out of here?”

“Hell yeah!” AJ glared around the room, “I hate hospitals.”

They grinned, then the door to their room opened and Chief O’Rielly walked in. All five silently groaned. Kevin was the first to address the police chief, “Chief O’Rielly, to what do we owe this visit?”

O’Rielly stopped before them, “I wanted to express my apologies for this happening, I take full responsibility. This never should of happened.”

AJ placed the oxygen mask back over his nose and mouth, muttering, “Damn straight it never shoulda happened. Stupid cops.”

Howie covertly slapped AJ on the arm, “Ow! What?”

Howie just gave him a look. O’Rielly continued, “I also feel I should relay to you the information we’ve been able to gather.”

AJ straightened, Now we’re talkin’.

O’Rielly cleared his throat, “We’ve recieved a note from the woman and she left her name, or atleast what she is calling herself. She signed the note, Lalita. We researched the name and the only thing we came up with is what it means.”

O'Rielly paused. Kevin sighed, “Well, what does it mean?”

O’Rielly looked at each of them, “She who plays.”

AJ scowled, “Figures.”

“I’ve also recieved the results of the fire’s cause,” informed O’Rielly, “We found the remains of a trigger that short-circuited the circuit breaker box by remote. Also, we found that all the sprinklers were disabled in that immediate area. This accident Lalita set up was meant to kill. She wasn’t playing this time.”

All five were silent, O’Rielly continued after a deep breath, “I suggest you postpone the concert, she’s getting serious.”

He recieved five loud ‘No!’s in response, he sighed, “I wanted to make what I recommend known, but I won’t force the issue. It’s your choice. I’ll leave you to your business now, we have a lead at the prison that may help us out. I’ll keep you up to date.”

With that, O’Rielly left the five and walked out the door and past the two officers who stood guard.

They were silent for a long time before AJ spoke, “We’re doin’ the concert.”

The other four nodded, Brian spoke, “You sure you’re up to it, though?”

AJ guffawed, then smiled, “I’m fine. As the doc said to me, I’m a lucky man!” He puffed out his chest, placing Squeaker on his lap, “Yep, no one can beat the old AJ McLean.”

Kevin smiled mischievously and looked pointedly at Brian, “Yeah, if it weren’t for that damp towel and the CPR... who knows.”

AJ froze, “Um, excuse me? CPR?”

Brian smiled back at Kevin, having caught on. He turned to AJ, his smile gone, “Yeah, CPR was done on ya before the ‘medics arrived.”

AJ looked aghast, his words stammering out as they smiled at him, “B- before? ...the ‘medics arrived?” They nodded and he glanced around at each of them, “Oh, God... Please, please tell me there was a pretty girl around...”

Their smiles widened and AJ paled, “No... ...who?”

Brian grinned and leaned towards AJ, batting his eyes and puckering his lips. AJ promptly looked horrified and shoved Brian away, “Oh, dear GOD!” AJ immediately began spitting and wiping his mouth, looking absolutely disgusted. His friends just laughed their heads off, Brian repeating his earlier gesture and approaching AJ’s form.

Outside room 218, two cops looked at each other curiously as a yell reached their ears from within the room they guarded.

“BRIAN!! DAMN IT!! GET THE HELL AWAY FROM ME!!”

~/~/~/~/~(5 p.m.(5 1/2 hours later), Florida State Penitentiary)~~~~~

O’Rielly paced the cell, sending glares at the man before him. He stopped, “Will you or will you not cooperate?”

The man grinned, “I’ll go along with ya, I guess. She can’t do nothin’.”

“Good,” sighed O’Rielly, “Now, tell me why she’s after the Backstreet Boys.”

He smiled, “Revenge.”

O’Rielly was getting pissed, “Damn it, Mr. Ruthers! I need answers!”

“Please,” placated the man, “Call me Cal.”

O’Rielly scowled, “Fine, Cal, why does Lalita want revenge on the Backstreet Boys?”

“That’s easy, they killed Jake.”

“And why would that bother her?” asked O’Rielly, glad to finally be getting somewhere, “She don’t care about you or the other one killed, Zack.”

Cal smiled, “She loved him, but she didn’t know until she was in jail and had time to think. I think it made her even more insane. She’s gonna get him even if it kills her.”

O’Rielly froze, “She’s gonna get him?” O’Rielly thought a moment, and he could only think of one that was actually close to be killed, “AJ McLean?”

Cal guffawed, “Nah, she just don’t like him. Been meanin’ to get him ever since he almost took care of her at the cabin. She wants the one who actually killed Jake to suffer, then she’ll kill ‘im.”

O’Rielly racked his brain, trying to remember in the report who had been the one to take Jake out. Then it flashed into his mind, “Nick Carter.”

Cal smirked and nodded.

It all started to come together in O’Rielly’s mind. She wants him to suffer like she did, then she’d kill him. The bomb, Nick was right there. The car chase, a distraction perhaps? Or to be able to get at Nick’s friends and he couldn’t do anything about it. Brian’s fake shooting, to have Nick watch the one he cares for most supposedly being killed... ...Nick being targeted and almost rundown by the Ram... Wait, Nick was wearing Brian’s clothes, wasn’t he?

O’Rielly’s eyes widened as he stared at Cal, who again nodded.

That’s it!

O’Rielly slammed his fist on the barred door, barking out, “Let me out!”

The door opened and he hustled through, soon hurrying out the prison doors and to his police cruiser. He quickly got in and grabbed his cell phone, “Trevors! I know what she’s after-... ... ...-you understand?! ... Good! I’m leavin’ now, I only hope we’ll make it in time!”

O’Rielly disconnected the call and threw it onto the passengers seat. He started his car and slammed on the gas, the tires squealing as he peeled out of the parking lot and back to Orlando, back to the stadium...