- Text Size +
Chapter 1



A half an hour later, Brian passed a large group of bikers heading the opposite way. He grimaced. They didn't look friendly and he couldn't stop himself from scanning over them to see if his two friends were with them. He sighed, thankful that he couldn't see them. Of course, that didn't exactly mean everything was fine. It was pretty dark out and those bikers still could have found Nick and AJ...

Brian shook his head, trying to forget the sight of the bikers as a lonely gas station soon took form in his headlights. He bit his lip. The whole abandoned station was dark, save for a lone dim lamp at the store's door. The light barely made a difference. Brian stopped the car and left it running, headlights on. He closed his eyes before opening the door. Nick was going to be a wreck.

Brian stood, pushing his door shut. He walked toward the station, away from the noise of his running engine, "Nick? AJ? ...It's Brian!"

A loud crash caused Brian to jump nearly a foot in the air and his heart to momentarily forget its job. Then relief sliced through him as familiar voices carried across the night air.

"OUCH! Damn it, Nick!"

"I'm sorry!" Then after a second's pause, "Brian?!"

Brian stood still as Nick's tousled visage appeared around the corner of the gas station, stumbling away from the dumpster that sat there. The light from the station's door and his car's headlights bathed Nick in an eerie glow. The blond looked like hell and the sight caused Brian to step forward, concern on his face, "Nick? Are you okay?"

Nick grinned widely and ran toward Brian, enveloping the southerner in a suffocating hug. Brian's eyes widened in surprise, his toes dangling several inches above the ground and his arms pinned to his sides as Nick's voice stuttered in his ear, "Thank God! Brian, you have no idea how scary it was. Those bikers stopped and wouldn't leave for what seemed forever! They were huge! Real nasty lookin', too! I thought for sure they'd find us, I've never been so scared... and it's dark. I hate the dark..."

"Hey, Nick. C'mon, yer babbling," smiled Brian as he tried to breathe, "They're gone, okay? Yer okay." Brian wriggled back and forth, "Nick... Nick! Ya wanna put me down?"

Nick stiffened, then realized Brian wasn't exactly on solid ground. He quickly set Brian down and gave him a sheepish smile, "Sorry, Bri'."

Brian shook his head, his expression amused, "No prob'." Brian then looked around, his eyes searching, "AJ?"

"Yeah, I'm here," came AJ's voice, his form looking much like Nick's as he walked toward him. A wince of pain was on his face as he rubbed the back of his head.

"You okay, AJ? What's wrong with your head?" asked Brian with a tone of concern.

AJ stopped before Nick and Brian, sending Nick a glare, "Blondie kicked me when he heard you." At Brian's confused expression, AJ explained, "When we got off the phone with you, those bikers were almost here and we ran to hide. I wanted to hide in the gas station, but Nick was too chicken to go in. So, the spaz grabbed me and basically threw me into the dumpster!"

Brian's eyes widened, then he noticed the odor his two friends were carrying and scrunched his nose. Then he thought of his suit and Nick hugging him. He sighed. Well, now he had a trip to the cleaners to look forward to.

AJ was glaring daggers at a contrite Nick, continuing his story, "Nick got in just as those bikers got here. They hanged around for a good twenty minutes before leavin'. Then you came and when you yelled at us, Nick tried to get out of the dumpster and he kicked me in the back of the head in the process."

"I didn't mean to!" cried Nick, seriously apologetic as his blue eyes darted around the shadowed station apprehensively, "I- I just want ta get outta here..." Nick looked seriously freaked out, causing AJ to lose his anger in a flash of regret.

"Aw... damn it," sighed AJ, "I know ya didn't mean it. I'm sorry I jumped down yer back like that, Nick." AJ looked around at the abandoned station with nervous eyes and admitted softly, "Actually, I'm not too interested in stayin' here any longer than you."

"AJ," ventured Nick, raising an eyebrow and continuing in an accusing tone, "I thought you said you weren't scared."

"Yeah, well," muttered AJ, looking at Nick briefly before returning his gaze elsewhere, "Maybe I am--I mean, WAS... just a little."

Nick seemed to calm down at the admission and relax somewhat. Brian, meanwhile, shook his head. Nick and AJ. He'd never figure them out. Nick alone, yes. Brian knew what Nick felt and why he did things then. Same with AJ--Well, almost same with AJ. He was hard to figure out sometimes, but when ya put the two of them together it was a totally different story. AJ would be more surely than normal, yet at the same time, more open. Nick would try too hard when he was with AJ, ending with the blond becoming overemotional and, at times, acting far younger than his age.

Brian thought that Nick looked up to AJ in a different way then the rest of them. AJ was the "cool" one. Nick wanted to be cool like AJ. He liked the style AJ put out, the uniqueness and creativeness of it. Brian remembered when he had caught Nick with a bottle of green hair dye when the kid was sixteen. He was going to dye his hair green, like AJ had died his red that day. Brian had talked him out of it, saying it just wouldn't look right. Plus, the added fact that Kevin would have killed him helped.

AJ, on the other hand, seemed almost envious of Nick in some ways. Brian thought that was why he'd sometimes take cheap shots at Nick when the blond did something that was considered stupid, but was really an honest mistake on the youth's part. AJ would grasp any little thing and shove it in Nick's face. Oh, he wouldn't go as far as to hurt the kid's feelings, but it would sometimes offend the blond and when that happened AJ would immediately become the open, more sensitive person they knew he was the whole time. AJ loved Nick just like the rest of them, but Brian thought AJ felt like he was pushed aside sometimes by their affection for the youngest in their group. The classic middle child syndrome, Brian surmised. Even now, both of them in their twenties, they still bickered like rival siblings of a third of their age.

Brian rubbed his forehead and stopped trying to figure them out, then grimaced at the smell of his two friends. He dreaded the ride home. The windows were going down. Then, Brian grimaced, he would most likely have to have his car cleaned out.

Brian sighed, then looked at his two friends, "Are you guys ready to get out of here now?"

"Yes!" They both cried with urgent tones, causing Brian to smirk. He gestured to his car and they walked toward it.

As Brian opened his door, Nick just noticed something, "Hey, Brian. What's with the suit?"

Brian hesitated, then looked over the car's roof at the two pairs of curious eyes, "I was takin' Leigh out on a date for our anniversary."

AJ's face fell and he slapped a hand over his eyes, swearing to himself. Nick looked confused, "Anniversary? Of what? It's not your wedding anniversary."

Brian shook his head, "No, it's for when we first met."

Understanding dawned on Nick's face and he grimaced, an apology in his blue eyes as he looked at his best friend, "As long as you love me... God, I'm sorry, Brian. We both are."

Brian shrugged, getting in the car. Nick got in beside him and AJ in the back. Brian put the car in gear and turned back on the road, "It's okay, guys. You needed help. Leigh and I will just have to celebrate some other time."

Nick suddenly got an idea as Brian put his window down, "Hey! Let me and AJ make it up to you. We'll put on a private dinner for you and Leighanne."

"Hey, yeah," agreed AJ, a smile forming on his face. He hated that they had taken Brian from Leighanne on such an occasion, "That's a great idea! We'll make the dinner and everything. What do ya say, Bri'?"

Brian did not like the idea. They wanted him to put the two of them in charge of making a dinner, in his kitchen, by themselves??? Nuh-uh. No way. That was not going to happen. Brian turned to tell them just that, but stopped. Aw, dang it. Why do they have to look at me like that? Brian looked back at the road, feeling his resolve crumble as Nick spoke.

"Brian? Can we?" Nick practically begged, they wanted to make it up to him so badly. "We are so sorry for takin' you from your date, we gotta do this to make it up to you. Please, Frick?"

"C'mon, B-rok," added AJ, "Please?"

Brian blinked in surprise. AJ never begged. He had to give in now. Lord, Leighanne was going to kill him, "All right, you can make dinner for us."

"Wahoo!" whooped AJ, giving Nick a high five.

"Thanks, Frack!" smiled Nick, eyes bright as the memory of the terrible gas station fled from his mind to be replaced by ideas for the coming dinner. "I guarantee it will be a night you'll never forget!"

Brian sighed. He didn't doubt that for a second.







"WHAT?!"

Brian winced, capturing his bottom lip between his teeth. This was exactly why he had waited until morning to tell Leighanne of their new dinner plans. Brian's blue eyes grew wide as he gazed at his wife, asking for understanding, "They wanted to make it up to us, and it was so important to them to have a chance to do that."

Leighanne crossed her arms and turned her head away, releasing a puff of air to blow a strand of blond hair from her eyes. She didn't understand what Brian had been thinking. Nick? AJ? Making them dinner? It was a disaster waiting to happen.

Brian pursed his lips in thought, then his eyes caught on an idea, "If you don't want them to do it, just call them and tell them we've got other plans. You'll have to do it, though. I won't."

Leighanne looked back at him, "Fine. That's just what I'll do. This was just supposed to be about us, Brian. It's our time."

"I know," sighed Brian, watching as Leighanne picked up the phone and dialed, "But what better way to celebrate than with some of our friends? They want to do it for us, Leigh."

Leighanne just gave him another look as she placed the phone to her ear. A fake smile came to her face as well as her voice when someone picked up on the other end. Brian always wondered how women could do that. They could be in the middle of arguing with you when the phone rings, and they answer it as if nothing were going on, like the sun was shining and it's a glorious day. Shaking his head, Brian sat on the couch and listened, a secret smile now on his face as he waited.

"Hello? Nick?... ...Hey! This is Leighanne, I just wanted to call and talk about this anniversary thing. I- .... .... ....Yes, I'm glad you are looking forward to doing the dinner, but-.... ...." Leighanne frowned, her eyes losing all anger at the situation, "Nick... Really, that's not necessary. You don't need to-..." Slowly, a real smile formed on Leighanne's face, a trace of laughter in her tone, "Now, Nick... You don't mean that... ... ... ...Hun, we already know how much we mean to you and AJ, you don't have to do this-.... ...." Leighanne suddenly laughed, "Okay, yeah. If you say so, Nick... ... ..."

Brian chuckled softly, wondering how AJ's interruptions on the phone caused annoyance, when Nick's caused smiles. Brian guessed it was because when AJ interrupted, he was being impatient. While when Nick interrupted, it was because he was just plain excited. Returning to the present, Brian's smile turned secretive as a thoughtful expression took over Leighanne's face and she blinked.

"Nick, that's so sweet," she spoke softly, then she straightened. "Well, I just wanted to tell you how much we're looking forward to your dinner."

Brian raised his eyebrows, letting out a soft chuckle while letting his smile widen.

Leighanne ended the call, "Yeah... ....Okay, thanks Nick. Bye."

Leighanne hung up the phone, standing with her back to Brian for a moment before facing him. She narrowed her eyes at his smiling face, "You knew that would happen, didn't you."

"Yep," replied Brian, the smile never leaving his face. "I knew you'd call Nick , you wouldn't call AJ after your last phone conversation attempt with him." Brian chuckled, "And, with Nick... I knew that you wouldn't be able to say no to him. I knew he was gonna say things that would get you to let them make the dinner."

Leighanne pressed her lips together and raised an eyebrow, "And just what did you know he would say to me?"

Brian just continued smiling, "Oh, that he and AJ were so happy to be doing this for us and that he had all these ideas. That we would love what he had planned and..." Brian looked straight at her, "That he wanted to show us how much we mean to him and AJ."

Leighanne walked over to Brian and sank down on the couch next to him with a deep sigh, hands resting on her lap, "He's too dang honest and happy for his own good."

Brian laughed, throwing an arm around her shoulders, "Yeah, but that's why we love him."

Leighanne gave him a sheepish half smile, "Yeah, I know. AJ's gonna be just as bad. He gets on my nerves sometimes, and I swear he does it on purpose. Honestly, I actually get a kick out of arguing with him. I mean, he acts like such a little kid sometimes, especially when he teams up with Nick." Her smile fell slightly, "I'm still nervous with them being in control of our kitchen, though. They always seem to get into trouble with the simplest of things, Brian."

Brian nodded, "It's definitely going to be... interesting."

Leighanne chuckled, "Yeah, interesting."







Nick let his eyes roam over the kitchen critically, one hand scratching his chin in contemplation. Brian fidgeted nervously at his side, continuously tugging at his satin tie. Finally, Brian sighed and smacked Nick on the arm, "Well?! What's the deal?"

Nick put on a fake scowl as he rubbed his arm, then smiled, "Nothin', Frick. I'm just messin' with ya!"

Brian huffed, but smiled at his best friend, "Well, knock it off. I'm stressed out enough as it is!"

Nick feigned hurt, a hand pressed to his chest, "Why, Brian. Do you not trust me in your kitchen? I'm hurt, Brian. Really hurt."

"Yeah," spoke Brian slyly, "I bet you are." Brian paused, looking at the clock, "Where is AJ, anyway?"

"He'll be here, Frick," assured Nick, placing his hands on Brian's shoulders and steering him out the kitchen's two-way door and into the dining room. Before them was a glazed, mahogany colored round table with white lace table mats and two long stem white candles in the center, burning with an opaque hue that cast the room's setting in a warm glow.

Nick smiled and shoved Brian into a chair, "You just sit and wait for yer wife. Let me and 'J take care of the rest, got it?"

Brian sighed, but smiled, "Okay, fine. I won't worry. Happy?"

Nick chuckled, "The day that you stop worrying about things is the day that AJ stops wearing sunglasses."

"What about me?"

They both looked toward the voice, smiling at the young man that walked toward them, juggling several containers in his arms. They could just see his blond highlighted hair over the stack of containers.

"'Bout time you got here," smiled Nick.

"Yeah, well," came AJ's voice behind the containers, "I ain't the one that told me to get all this crud."

Brian noticed that AJ wasn't stopping his approach and warned the rebel, raising his hands in a useless attempt to stop him, "AJ, stop! Yer gonna walk into the candles!"

AJ stopped, turning so he could see them, "Chill, 'bro! I got it under control." AJ looked at Nick as Brian rolled his eyes and raked a hand through his hair, "Where ya want all this stuff?"

"Kitchen," answered Nick, "Where else?"

AJ scowled, letting out a frustrated, "Well!"

Nick giggled as AJ stomped to the kitchen door and gently kicked it open, then sidling through the opening. Nick smirked, throwing out a sarcastic, "Well!!" after AJ.

"Shut up, Nick!" was the reply through the closed door, then the sound of several containers crashing to the floor, "Aw, damn it! ...and shut up, Nick!"

"What?!" laughed Nick, "I didn't say anything!"

Brian stared in disbelief as Nick shoved the kitchen door open, seeing a glimpse of AJ on the floor, picking up a couple of containers.

"No," replied AJ, shaking a container up at Nick, "But you were thinkin' of sayin' something!"

"I was not," denied Nick, letting the door fall shut behind him and closing the scene off from Brian's wide eyes.

Brian stared at the door. Lord, they were killin' him. This was not a good idea. Brian was so wound up that he felt like screaming. Blinking, Brian snapped his gaze to the stairs at a noise, putting on a smile for the astonished visage of his wife, "Hey, Leigh. You look beautiful."

Leighanne pulled her gaze from the kitchen door, blinking at Brian, "Uh, yeah... Thanks." She plopped into the chair opposite Brian, shaking her head, "I can't believe we're letting them do this."

Brian laughed, but it sounded forced, "Yeah, well... too late now. We're just gonna have to make the best of it." Brian glanced at the closed door at the sound of a muffled curse, "And pray our kitchen is still in one piece when their done."







Nick started going through the cupboards and turned the oven on while AJ took the stuff out of the containers and onto the kitchen table. Nick spoke without looking at AJ, "Ya got the appetizers, AJ?"

AJ stopped what he was doing and swallowed, offering up in an unsure tone, "Uh... I think so?"

Nick froze, then slowly turned to face AJ, "What do you mean, 'you think so'?" At the guilty expression Nick's jaw dropped, "AJ! Ya didn't get the appetizers?!"

AJ ducked his head, "Oops."

"Aw, AJ!" cried Nick, "How could you forget the appetizers?"

"Hey!" defended AJ, "I guess they slipped my mind when I was picking all this other crap up! Do we absolutely need appetizers?"

"Yes!" replied Nick. He sighed, falling into the chair beside him. His head fell into his hands, his elbows on the table, "I knew it. This is gonna be a disaster..."

AJ frowned, "What do you mean? It's not that big of a deal, Nick. Bri' and Leighanne won't mind. We'll just go straight to the main course."

"But that's not the way it's supposed to go!" wailed Nick, raising his head, "It's the appetizers, then the main course, then the dessert! 1, 2, 3! Not 2, 3! It doesn't work that way, AJ! It just doesn't. God, I'm such a screw up!"

"Nick!" shouted AJ, stepping forward and grasping Nick's shoulders and giving them a shake, "Relax! It's just a dinner, man! Ya gotta chill. Bri' is your best bud, he won't care. AND, you are not a screw up. What made ya think that?"

Nick stared up at AJ, reaching out and smacking the rebel upside the head, "Hello?! Do you not know who you are looking at? I'm the master of screwing up! Whether it's getting mixed up about what we're doing at promos and stuff, to when I can't talk worth a damn! You should know this, AJ. You've reminded me plenty of times. I screwed up Brian's date with Leighanne and now I'm screwing up the dinner we are putting on to make up for it." Nick looked away, shaking his head, "What more proof do you need?"

"Whoa, whoa, WHOA!" argued AJ, squatting down to be more level with the blond, "Back up a bit, bro'. First of all, we're both to blame for ruining Brian's anniversary thing with Leighanne, not just you. Secondly, I'm the one that forgot the appetizers, not you. So you didn't screw this up, I did."

AJ paused, then looked straight at Nick, "You ain't a screw up, Nick. Ya just tend to work on impulse. Yer good at talking when ya think about what yer sayin'. And... I'm sorry for getting on yer case about it... You know, when you made mistakes. It wasn't ever your fault and I don't know why I did it, maybe I was a bit pissed at ya sometimes."

Nick blinked, taken a bit off guard at AJ's suddenly open words, "Why?"

"Aw, I don't know..." AJ shook his head, "It's dumb. It's just that, well... When we were younger, touring overseas and stuff, well... You'd get all the attention. Not just from the fans, but the guys, too. I guess I felt a bit left out or shoved aside. I mean, I'm only a few years older than you. I got homesick and scared just like you did, I just acted all smart assed to not let anyone know, made myself out to be so tough." AJ looked away, "I'm not."

After a moment, AJ shook himself, straightening and looking back at Nick, "Anyways, it was stupid, and I don't feel that way anymore." AJ cracked a grin, "Hey, we're buds. I just like to rat on you. It's fun tradin' insults with ya, Nicky. Ya got a quick mind for it."

Nick looked wary and raised an eyebrow, "Ya mean it? Yer not strummin' me along right now, are ya?"

AJ sighed, "No. C'mon, Nick. I don't do that anymore. Well, unless it's just to tease ya." AJ smiled, "C'mon, let's think this over and figure somethin' out for the appetizers, 'kay?"

Nick looked at AJ for a minute, then let a smile brighten his face, "Okay, 'J. Let's just have some fun with this, huh?"

"Whoo!" whooped AJ, standing quickly, "Now, that is what I'm talkin' about. Let's just have some fun!" AJ started doing a little dance, "Oh, yeah! Make a little noise, 'cause we're da cookin' boys! Yeah! Uh-huh, uh-huh!"

Nick laughed, shaking his head, "Where'd that come from?"

AJ stopped, smiling at Nick, "No idea. Spur of the moment, I guess. It was fun though."

Nick grinned, then thought for a moment, "It couldn't really get any worse now, anyways..." Nick paused, giving AJ an unsure look, "Could it?"

AJ raised his eyebrows and shrugged.