- Text Size +
Chapter 2



Brian and Leighanne were trading nervous glances. They didn't like how the kitchen was first noisy, then silent, and now noisy again. Brian cleared his throat, making a move to stand.

"Um, maybe I should go and check on them. Maybe-"

Brian stopped as Leighanne reached across the table and grabbed his arm, pulling him back into his seat with a thump. Leighanne kept her voice low when she spoke, her eyes riveted on the kitchen door, "You go in there, you might not make it out."

Brian's eyes widened and eyebrows rose in realization, "Ooh, good point."

They both settled back, leering at their kitchen door as if it were a mad dog looking to bite their hands. Both of them silently swore they'd sprout several gray hairs before the night was out.







"Appetizers, appetizers, appetizers," droned AJ over and over, going from cupboard to cupboard and searching the contents.

Nick had his head buried in the refrigerator, "Any luck, AJ?"

"Um, no. Not really, I don't think- Oh! Hey, looky here..." smiled AJ's voice suddenly.

Nick stood, letting the 'fridge door close as he turned to look at AJ, "What? Wha'dya find?"

Grinning, AJ held up a box of Ritz butter crackers, "Crackers!"

Nick stared at him blankly, "Uh, yeah... So?"

"Well," continued AJ with a smile, "I saw some pizza sauce in one of the cupboards."

Nick's face didn't change, his head leaning forward as he prodded, "And..."

AJ sighed loudly, frustrated at Nick's lack of understanding. He thought it was as plain as day, "Is there any mozzarella cheese in the 'fridge?"

Nick checked quickly, shutting the door with a bag of the cheese in hand, "Yeah... I don't get it, AJ."

"Don't tell me you've never made these before, Nick," uttered AJ, looking shocked, "Please, say you've had these before!"

"AJ!" cried Nick, becoming frustrated himself, "It'd be nice to know what the hell yer talkin' about!"

"M.P.'s!!" yelled AJ, "Haven't you ever had M.P.'s before?!"

Nick's blank look was back. AJ gasped.

"Nicky!"

AJ went and put an arm around Nick's shoulders, shaking his head, "You poor, poor child. To be deprived of such a delicacy." AJ sighed.

Nick shrugged him off, "What the hell are you talkin' about?! M.P.'s??? What's an M.P.?"

AJ stared at Nick like it was the most common thing in the world, "Mini Pizzas!"

Nick stared, not sure if he heard right, "Mini piz-... AJ! You want to give Brian and Leighanne mini pizzas for their appetizers?"

"Yeah, sure!" nodded AJ, "Why not? You haven't had them before and they're just the thing for an appetizer!!"

Nick looked doubtful. AJ placed a hand on his shoulder, a twinkle in his brown eyes, "Trust me, bro'. Once you taste one, you'll be sorry to see them all go to Bri' and Leighanne!"

"Okay," relented Nick, curious if nothing else, "Show me how you make them. If I like them, we'll give 'em to Bri' and Leigh."

"Sweet!" cried AJ, grabbing the cheese from Nick's hand and placing the cracker box and the cheese bag on the counter. He grabbed the pizza sauce from the cupboard and then a butter knife from the silverware drawer.

"It's real easy to do, Nick," explained AJ, taking out a bag of crackers and opening the sauce and cheese. "Hey, grab me a plate, would ya?"

Nick got a plate and placed it on the counter before AJ. AJ smiled, "Thanks. Now, here's all there is to it. Ya take a cracker, like this." AJ grabbed a cracker, "Ya spread some pizza sauce on it, like this." AJ spread some sauce on one side of the cracker, "Then, ya take some cheese like this and put it on top." AJ covered the sauce side with cheese. "And then ya just pop it in the microwave for a minute or two, basically until the cheese is all melted." AJ put the lone cracker with the sauce and cheese on it, on the plate and then put the plate in the microwave. He punched in a minute and pressed start. It took less then a minute for the lone cracker's cheese to melt, and AJ took it out. "Ya let it cool a bit and then... ya eat it!"

Nick stared at the cracker, it smelled and looked pretty good, but he was still wary. This was AJ, after all. You never knew, "That's it?"

"Yep!" smiled AJ, "Go on, try it."

Nick looked at AJ, then the cracker. Tentatively, he reached out and picked it up, the cracker still slightly warm. He again looked at AJ, then took a deep breath and popped the cracker into his mouth. He chewed and then let his eyes widen. AJ grinned knowingly.

"Hey!" cried Nick, "That's actually good! Where'd ya learn to make it?"

AJ shrugged, "Honestly? I don't remember. I've known how to make 'em since I was little. So," continued AJ, "Are they worthy enough for appetizers?"

"Hell yeah!" grinned Nick, "These things would be great for parties. We should make a bunch for the next Super Bowl party. People'd love 'em!"

"Sounds good ta me!" laughed AJ, "C'mon, let's get these done before Brian and Leighanne starve out there!"







Brian and Leighanne both jumped at the door opening, sharing a quick, fearful glance. Lord, what were they about to eat...

"Good evening!" greeted AJ, a sly smile on this face, "I'm AJ McLean and I will be your waiter tonight, as well as your chef."

A loud thump came from the kitchen. AJ looked annoyed, "Oh, yes. My mistake. I'm the assistant chef to the GREAT supreme chef, Nick Carter!" AJ shouted the last bit with a sarcastic tone, giving the kitchen door a glare.

Brian and Leighanne blinked.

"Anyways," continued AJ, oblivious to the astonished faces before him, "I- er, WE, shall start your evening with some delectable appetizers. We hope you enjoy and your main course shall come shortly. Thank you."

AJ set a covered platter in the center of the table, between the candles, and then went back into the kitchen.

"You were gonna take all the credit!" Brian and Leighanne heard Nick exclaim through the open door as AJ stepped through it.

"Oh, I was not! I was gettin' to ya, you didn't give me a chance!" replied AJ, then the door shut.

Brian and Leighanne slowly tore their eyes away from the door, soon looking at each other in shock. Brian spared a glance at the platter, "I'm afraid to look."

"Aw, it can't be that bad," reasoned Leighanne, trying to find the courage to remove the platter cover. Slowly though, hunger gnawed at both of them.

Brian stared at Leighanne, then the platter. Brian's stomach growled loudly, "Aw, hell! I'm hungry and food is food!"

Brian removed the lid. They stared.

"What the-" blurted Brian, tilting his head.

Leighanne let a smile turn her lips, "How cute!"

Brian quirked an eyebrow at her, "Cute? What are they?"

Leighanne smirked at him, her eyes twinkling, "They kinda look like little pizzas, don't ya think?"

Looking the small crackers over, Brian had to agree, "Yeah, they do. Looks can be deceiving though. They could taste like dirt."

"Brian!" admonished Leighanne, giving Brian a stern look, "They're just crackers. Even Nick and AJ can't mess that up."

Brian looked doubtful.

"Oh, c'mon!" toned Leighanne, reaching for one of the crackers, "I think they look good, they certainly smell good anyways."

"Leigh," advised Brian as his wife brought the cracker to her mouth, "I don't know. Maybe you shouldn't-"

Too late. Leighanne popped the cracker into her mouth. As she chewed, she smiled, "Hey! That's pretty good!" Leighanne reached for another, "Try one, Brian. They really are good."

"Okay, fine," relented Brian, reaching out for one of the crackers as Leighanne ate another one. He took a deep breath and then ate the cracker.

"Hey!" he cried, eyes wide and grinning, "These things are great! I wonder where they got the idea?"

Leighanne shrugged, now on her forth cracker as Brian reached for another, "Who cares? AJ and Nick made 'em and they're actually good. Maybe there still is hope for them."

A loud crash and a curse came from the kitchen. Brian raised an eyebrow at Leighanne, "Uh, yeah. Let's not get ahead of ourselves, Leigh."







"Ow, ow, ow, OW!" whined Nick, shaking his hand in an effort to shake off the pain.

AJ laughed, shaking his head, "That'll teach ya to try and take a pan from the bottom of a pile without moving the ones on top, Nicky. Real smooth."

"Oh, shut up, AJ," sulked Nick. He didn't think they'd all fall like that, and on top of his hand to boot. Nick flexed his hand, wincing. Damn, that hurt. Nick decided to change the subject as he bent to pick up the pans, AJ moving to help, "Ya got the main course here, AJ?"

"Yep," answered AJ, standing to place several pans back into the cupboard, "It's still in my car. Ya want me to get it?"

"Yeah," nodded Nick, standing to add more pans to the cupboard, "I'll finish pickin' up these pans."

"Okey dokey!" smirked AJ, skittering to the back door of the kitchen so as to not interrupt Brian and Leighanne.

AJ jogged around the side of the house and to his car, taking out a half gallon white bucket. He gave a grunt as he hefted it up, then quickly made his way back to the kitchen.

Nick looked to the door as he shut the cupboard, seeing AJ walking in, "Good. I'll get the water boiling while you get 'em ready, 'kay?"

AJ set the bucket on the table and gave it a doubtful glance as Nick filled a tall pot with water and placed it on the stove, "Say, uh... Nick? How do I do that?"

Nick spared him a quick, confused glance, "What do you mean? Ya just take 'em out and bring 'em over here. We'll put 'em in the water when it's boiling. No biggy."

AJ bit his lip, thinking he might have just made another boo boo, "Maybe you better do it, Nick."

Nick sighed, "Fine."

Nick walked over to the bucket and took off the lid, barely looking in as he reached his hand in. An audible snap caused him to jerk his hand out and he stared wide eyed into the bucket.

"AJ!" cried Nick in disbelief, switching his astonished gaze to the contrite rebel, "You got live lobsters?!"

AJ winced, "I take it that wasn't what you meant to get... Hey, don't look at me like that! How was I to know?"

Nick blinked, "AJ, how are we gonna do this now? They don't even have their claw things taped shut... and they don't look too happy."

AJ looked at the two red lobsters in the shallow water inside the bucket, the red creatures seeming to glare up a him, "I don't know. Don't we just reach in and grab 'em?"

"Go right ahead!" guffawed Nick, giving the bucket an exaggerated gesture with his hand, "Be my guest."

AJ shrugged, tentatively reaching into the bucket. Several snaps emanated from the lobsters as they tried to clamp onto AJ's hand, causing AJ to yelp and jump back, his arm catching the bucket's rim and toppling it from the table.

"AJ!" cried Nick, jumping back as the bucket crashed to the floor, "Aw, crap!"

Both AJ and Nick shuffled back as a small rush of water overtook the kitchen floor and two lobsters slid across it, now free. Nick and AJ looked across at each other as the lobsters came to a rest between them, AJ beside the table and Nick with the counter at his back.

Slowly, the dazed lobsters started moving around and Nick swallowed, "This is not good."

AJ stared at him, "You think?!"

Suddenly, the two lobsters seemed to become aware of them, perking up at AJ's voice. They charged toward AJ, skittering over the linoleum floor with surprising speed. AJ yelped and jumped to the side, the lobsters overshooting him.

Brown eyes wide, gasping for breath, AJ shook his head and ran over by Nick, "This is nuts! What the hell do we do? The God-damned main course is trying to kill us!!"

"I don't know!" yelled Nick back, his blue eyes darting around in search of the two lobsters that were now nowhere to be seen. Nick paused, "Where did they go?"

AJ caught a flash of red, "There!"

AJ then ran to the other side of the room, leaving Nick alone.

"Hey!" sputtered Nick, then he saw the lobsters coming at him.

"Yikes!" he yelped, bracing his hands on the counter behind him and hoisting himself up. The lobsters crashed into the lower cupboards with a soft chink. Seeming unfazed, they backed away from the cupboards, their legs clinking on the hard linoleum as Nick huddled on the counter above them like someone would from mice.

AJ bit his lip, looking for something to catch the lobsters in. He spotted the bucket a couple feet from him and quickly snatched it up. He glanced at Nick and then slowly crept up on the two lobsters, being careful not to make a noise. AJ was about to drop the bucket over them when they seemed to sense his presence and they bolted away, disappearing once again.

Slumping, AJ looked at Nick as the blond hopped down from the counter, his sneakers making a slight squishing sound in the thin film of water that coated the floor. Nick rubbed his face, looking tired, "Now where did they go?"

AJ shrugged, looking dejected, "I don't know... ...I'm sorry, Nick."

Nick straightened, giving AJ a perplexed look, "Huh? What for?"

"The lobsters," replied AJ softly, "You ain't the screw up here, Nick. I am. I forgot the appetizers and now I've screwed up the main course. I'm sorry."

"AJ," argued Nick firmly, "It's no big deal. Like we said before, we're just having fun. Let's catch these red hellions and get on with the dinner, 'kay? It ain't yer fault, bud."

AJ stared at Nick for a moment, seeing only a quiet conviction in the blue eyes and he sighed, nodding his head, "Okay. Now, where did they get to?"

Nick looked around the room, then gasped, "Oh, no..."

AJ became alert, looking around, "What? What is it?"

Nick just pointed.

AJ groaned, "Shit."

The two-way hinged door that separated the kitchen from the dining room was still swinging slowly back and forth before finally settling to a stand still.

Nick took in a deep breath, then expelling it in a whoosh before speaking, "We gotta find them before Leighanne and Brian see them, especially Leighanne. She'd freak."

"How are we gonna do that?" inquired AJ, looking up at Nick.

Nick thought for a moment, then spoke slowly, "I'll distract Bri' and Leigh while you find and catch the lobsters. How's that sound?"

"Yeah, okay..." began AJ, then he blinked. "Hey! Wait a second!" he protested, straightening slightly, "Why do I have to be the one to catch them?"

Nick stared at AJ, raising his eyebrows. AJ ducked his head, sighing dejectedly, "All right, all right. I'll catch 'em." AJ went and grabbed a couple of oven mitts, mumbling under his breath, "How the hell was I supposed ta know he wanted dead lobsters. I thought people always bought them alive, they are in those fancy shmancy restaurants. But nooooo... Guess not!"

Nick chuckled as AJ went out the back way of the kitchen, then he took a deep breath before shoving the door open and entering the dining room in a rush, greeting loudly, "Hey!"







Brian gasped in surprise and almost choked on the cracker he was eating, making a startled coughing sound and grabbing his throat, eyes squinting. Across from him, he saw Leighanne's eyes widen in fright as she threw her arms up in reflex, the cracker she had in her hand going airborne to splat against the dining room's white wall.

While trying to calm her breathing, Leighanne glanced at the cracker that stayed plastered to her white wall, then reached across the table to pat Brian on the back, the southerner still coughing, his face red and blue eyes watering.

Nick looked sheepish as he shifted his weight from one foot to the other, his stance apologetic from where he stood beside their table. He sighed, the action of raising his hand to rake it through his hair a nervous habit as he tried to apologize, "Oops... Um, sorry?"

Brian took the glass of water his now smiling wife offered him, sending her a brief glare as he sipped the liquid. Finally, Brian cleared his throat and stared at Nick, absently rubbing his throat, "Nick... What the heck was that?!"

Nick stuffed his hands into his pockets, worrying his bottom lip for a moment before answering his best friend's question, "I'm sorry, I just- Um..." He paused, thinking quickly, "I just wanted to know if you liked the appetizers and if you're, um... happy? I guess, uh... Yeah, that's what I wanted to know."

Brian stared at Nick, one eyebrow quirked. He then shook his head, smiling. Only Nick would burst into a room, just to find out if you were happy. The blond lived to please. Sighing softly, Brian glanced at Leighanne and then looked up at Nick.

"The appetizers are great and we're having a good time," Brian smiled, seeing an almost imperceptible feeling of relief brightening Nick's features, "We were wondering though, where did you learn to make these crackers?"

Nick smiled and told them about AJ's little treat, doing his best to keep them distracted as AJ rounded up their wayward lobsters.







AJ crept around the living room, his hands covered with the flowered oven mitts. He crouched low to the ground, his dark eyes searching for anything moving and red.

"Here, lobsters!" he whispered out, "Come to AJ! I won't kill you! I'll set you free in the ocean. I promise!"

AJ saw a flash of red in the corner of the room and froze. There. They were both right there. They were under an end table. AJ didn't think they had seen him yet.

AJ smirked and now began to talk in an Australian accent, his voice low as he spoke to some unseen specter behind him, "Hey, all. This is Steve the Crocodile Hunter. Today we're huntin' lobstahs. Now, what we're gonna do is... We're gonna sneak up on da unsuspectin' lobstahs an' rescue 'em from becomin' bait if ole Leighanne gets a hold of 'em."

AJ crept up behind the lobsters, the red crustaceans no more than a few feet away now. He continued in his Australian accent, "The trick with catchin' these crustaceans is gettin' a hold on their forcep claws. If those things catch us, we could really be hurtin' for a bit. What I'm gonna have ta do is, real quick like, get my hands 'round their claws and lift 'em up 'fore they get awares." AJ put one of the gloves up to his lips, "Shh, now. I don't want ta blow the element of surprise..." AJ stepped up right behind the lobsters, ready to spring, "Now!"

AJ lunged. The lobsters ran. AJ slammed into the table.

Cursing, AJ rubbed his head and then looked back at the camera only he could see, still in his Australian accent, "Oh, crikey! Them buggers are right quick, aren't they now?"







"What was that?" asked Leighanne, referring to the muffled crash from their living room.

Nick silently cursed, thinking quickly, "What was what? I didn't hear anything."

"Nick," toned Brian, "Something just crashed in our living room. How could you not hear it?"

"I have no idea what you are talking about, Brian," Nick continued the charade. "Are you two feeling all right? You aren't coming down with something, are you?"

Brian dodged Nick's hand as it tried to feel his forehead, "No! I'm not sick. I'm sure I heard something. You did, didn't you, Leigh?"

Leighanne suddenly looked unsure. After all, why would Nick lie? "Um, I don't know, Brian. Maybe I didn't."

"What?!" cried Brian, shaking his head, "You heard something. I heard something. I know I did."

"I didn't hear anything, Brian," said Nick, his tone worried. "Are you sure you're feelin' all right?"

"Yes!"







AJ was running. His mitt covered hands were stretched out in front of him as he ran though Brian's back yard. A silent scream was plastered on his face as the lobsters clutched in his hands writhed, trying to either clamp their free claws onto AJ or get away.

As he arrived at the kitchen's back door, AJ pivoted to back through the door and into the kitchen. He stopped in the middle of the room, at a loss of what to do next. Frantic, his dark eyes locked on the swinging door and the voices he heard beyond it.

Nick.

Nick could help him.

AJ fairly sprinted to the door, stopping before it to lean into it just enough to let his head poke through, "Nick!"

The blond, as well as the two dinner guests, jumped at the shout. Nick spun around, "What?!"

"Nick," AJ ground out, "If you'd be so kind, I'd like some help in here!"

"Oh," understood Nick, flashing a smile as AJ's head disappeared back into the kitchen. "Well, gotta go! Duty calls. Oh, and Brian?"

"Yeah," was the wary reply.

"You didn't hear anything," then Nick disappeared after AJ.

"Yes, I did!"







"Whoa!" Nick backed up, hands up in defense. "Keep 'em away from me."

"Away from you!?" AJ exclaimed, arms still held as far from his body as possible. "What about me here, huh? What am I supposed to do with these things?!"

"Where's that bucket?" Nick asked, searching the room.

"I don't know, but you're getting it 'cause I ain't movin'!"

"Found it!" yelled Nick, filling the bucket with water. He approached AJ carefully, "Okay, put 'em in here."

Eyes closed and face turning away, AJ dropped the lobsters back into their bucket. Once he heard the splash, he opened his eyes and looked at the two trapped lobsters.

He looked at Nick, "Now what?"

"What do you mean?"

"Well, we can't kill 'em," answered AJ, "They obviously don't want to die. I mean, hello! They made an escape attempt!"

"Then what are we gonna have for a main course, AJ?" asked Nick, staring hard at the rebel.

"Well," AJ started, "There's a couple pounds of hamburger in that bag over there. I figured we could make ourselves some hamburgers when we were done here. I mean, we have to eat, too. Why don't we just make them hamburgers?"

Nick stared at AJ, "Hamburgers? You want to give them hamburgers?! AJ, what kind of anniversary dinner is that?"

"A good one," answered AJ, "This is about more than just food, Nick. Brian and Leighanne will appreciate us doin' this no matter what we serve them. It's the thought that counts!"

Nick thought for a moment, "Okay, we don't kill the lobsters. Instead of hamburgers, though, let's make barbecue.

"What's the difference?" asked AJ.

"There is a huge difference, AJ," argued Nick, "C'mon, man. We made your crackers. Now I get to make my barbecue."

"All right, all right," relented AJ, crossing his arms, "We'll make barbecue. I don't know why, since plain hamburgers would be easier, but since your so dead set on it... fine."

"Good!" grinned Nick, already getting the things they'd need to make the barbecue, "And hamburgers would just be too easy, 'J. That's something even the most simple minded bachelor can make. Hell, I practically lived off of 'em when I first got my own place."

"Nick," AJ deadpanned, "You're rich. Why didn't you just hire a chef or go out to eat?"

Nick placed the pan he'd taken from a cupboard on the counter, then slowly turned to look at AJ. Nick's face was serious as he raised his hand to count off of his fingers as he spoke, "Reason number one: I wasn't gonna have someone wait on me like I was better than them. Reason number two: Me, Nick Carter, go out to a public restaurant, by myself??--You must be joking. I'd get killed! Reason number three: It's not what normal people do."

AJ understood. Just like the rest of them, Nick wanted to live as normal a life as possible. That was a harder thing to accomplish than you'd think, especially when your face plastered the walls of bedrooms all over the world. It was hard to 'get away' sometimes.

Sighing, AJ stepped up along side the blond and looked at the ingredients on the counter, "Okay, kid. What do we do first?"

Nick smiled and proceeded to show AJ how to make barbecue al a Nick Carter.







Brian rearranged his silverware for the fifteenth time, glancing at the kitchen door. His stomach suddenly growled loudly.

"Dang it!" he hissed, hands moving to clutch his gut in a vain effort to silence it.

Across from him, Leighanne laughed, "Somehow, Brian, I don't think that will help any. Getting a little hungry?"

Brian scowled at the smiling tone of voice his wife used, releasing his stomach, "Well, the total amount of food that I have consumed this entire day would be those crackers. I've been so nervous all day, waiting for this dinner and imagining all the disasters Nick and AJ could cause... I just couldn't bring myself to eat anything."

"Aw, you poor thing," cooed Leighanne, but was unable to wipe the smile from her face, "Brian, you worry too much."

Brian straightened at that comment, "Me? Worry too much? What about you, huh? I seem to recall you going over the kitchen from top to bottom at least ten times today!" Brian leaned forward and wagged a finger at Leighanne's now contrite face, "I saw you remove all the breakable things that didn't need to be in there: the ceramic figurines on the window sill, the crystal vase centerpiece we got from our wedding, and all of the ceramic and glass containers on the counter!"

As Leighanne ducked her head, face red with embarrassment, Brian leaned back and couldn't hold back the smile, "You even took all of the magnets off of the refrigerator!"

"I know!" gushed Leighanne, "But I couldn't stop myself! I didn't want them to break anything, and that crystal vase was a gift from your mother and-" Leighanne stopped explaining herself, having looked up to see Brian's face grinning back at her in obvious amusement.

Leighanne's jaw dropped and she stared at Brian when he chuckled. Put off, Leighanne grabbed her napkin and threw it in Brian's face, "Oh- You! It's not funny!"

Brian's shoulders began to shake as he pulled the napkin off of his face, now laughing.

"Brian!" whined Leighanne in protest, but she found she couldn't stop a smile from turning her lips. Brian just kept on laughing, harder now, his face going red and tears falling from his smiling blue eyes. Leighanne couldn't help herself, she started laughing, too. Soon, she was laughing just as hard as Brian.

After a few minutes, they calmed enough that only an occasional giggle burst from them. Brian wiped his eyes, looking at Leighanne, "Well, that was refreshing."

"Yeah," smiled Leighanne, "That felt good. I don't even know why we were laughing."

A high-pitched yelp came from the kitchen, followed by a, "Hot, hot, hot! Damn it, that's hot!"

Leighanne giggled and looked at Brian, "I take that back."