- Text Size +
39

They must have circled the city at least three times looking for Nick. Going in and out of the same streets, passing the same homeless people and the same hookers trying to flag them down. Still no sign of the young one. This had panicked Kevin like nothing. He always felt responsible for Nick. It was his mom’s fault and not even Nick’s mom; HIS mom. When she first met the young blonde she had taken Kevin aside and whispered into his ear, “You need to look out for that one Kevin”

At the time, he rolled his eyes but then as he got to know Nick he saw how much maybe his mom was right. The kid was so naïve and vulnerable sometimes. All the guys noticed it too, they even had a meeting about it after Nick decided to disappear into a crowd of fans not much thinking about the consequences. Kevin smiled just remembering how silly that meeting was. “You know we should really put a leash on him” Brian had joked but now he wished they really had done that.

“Why are you smiling?” Kevin glanced over at Mike who looked tired “I was just remembering something”

“Oh? Care to share?” He didn’t know Mike for that long but he had so many of the same mannerisms as Nick. How on earth had he ever doubted their relation to one another. “Just about your brother when he was younger. We always thought we should buy him a leash”

“Well I say when we find him I’ll help pitch in for one” Mike laughed and stretched. “You know maybe he went back to the hotel”

“No...Brian is there he would have called”

“Do you think maybe he…” Kevin’s cell phone ringing cut Mike’s thought off. He quickly clicked on it hoping it was Brian or the other guys saying Nick had been found.

“Hello?”

“Hey Kev…it’s Bri”

“Is he there?” Mike leaned closer to Kevin as he spoke.

“Not exactly, but we know where he is now”

“Where?” Kevin tapped the driver on the shoulder to tell him a location.

“Jones Beach” Kevin nodded, “The beach! I should have known!” Then he said it out loud for the driver “Jones beach!” Kevin put his hand on the phone and looked over at Mike, “We found him” Mike sat back and placed his hands on his head. “Thank God”

“What did he say? Did he tell you why?”

“I didn’t talk to him. He didn’t want to talk to me, some older man called. He said Nick was mugged.”

“Holy crap! Is he okay? I mean what happened?” once again Mike sat up straight trying to get into the conversation.

“Relax, I guess he’s fine…just shaken up”

The conversation with the two went on for a little while longer, just enough time to get the gist of what happened and how sad Nick was feeling. By the time Kevin got off the phone they were already on their way to pick up the wanderer and Mike was exploding with questions.

“Why did you ask if he was okay? What happened?”

“Don’t worry he’s okay but Brian said that he was mugged”

“Boy that poor kid has had one very bad day” Mike said once again trying to find a comfortable position. Kevin nodded with a deep, pondering look on his face, “I was wondering if we should maybe call Jane”

To that question, Mike had very strong feelings himself but, how he felt didn’t matter at the moment. The only thing that mattered was Nick, so he sucked it up, “Do you think it’ll help or hurt?”

“It’s hard to say… they have one of those explosive relationships but in the end he always seems to want to talk to her about stuff” Mike once again felt a pang of jealousy, would he ever know what that feels like? To be able to call on a mother for love and guidance? “Well then maybe we should give her a call, but let’s see how he is first” Kevin agreed.

When they arrived at the bench Nick was sitting on, they were taken back by how incredibly young and innocent he looked. They stood watching from a distance as the older gentleman gently rubbed Nick’s back as he sat hunched over, his elbows hitting his knees.

By instinct Kevin started to walk towards the boy as Mike not sure what to do just kind of stayed back. As Kevin got closer he suddenly found himself stopping. Mike watched as Kevin just stood there staring at Nick; then he turned around and walked back towards Mike.

“What’s wrong?” Mike asked confused as to why he turned back, “You don’t think you should go talk to him?”

“No…I think he would want YOU to talk to him actually. He needs you; I’ll come there in a little bit” Mike was a little surprised, “Are you sure? I mean he thinks the world of you Kevin and I am sure I’m the last one he’d want to see”

“No, you’re wrong. Not about him thinking the world of me of course” Kevin laughed, “I mean…who doesn’t? But he loves you Mike and I think he needs to see that even after all the crap, you are still there for him”

Mike looked over at his little brother again then back to Kevin, “Thanks man…maybe you’re not so bad after all” Kevin smiled and gestured towards Nick, “Now go get him and I’ll be there in a few”

Kevin watched as Mike slowly made his way over towards Nick and the older man, smiling at himself as he watched.


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I saw a pair of legs coming towards me and when I saw the length of them, all hope of being greeted by Brian left. I didn’t want to look up at all, to see his disappointed glare. Kevin had a way of making me feel even smaller then I already felt. The kind man sitting next to me bent close to my ear, “I think one of your friends is here to take you home” I decided to sit up straight then and smile at the man before looking over at Kevin. I was shocked when Mike was glancing back at me. Not sure of what to do, I looked down at the ground. The older man stood and shook hands with my brother, mumbling something to him that I couldn’t really hear. Once he was assured I was in good hands he walked over to me once more, “Well Nickolas, since you’re brother is here I’m going to get to where I need to be”

I stood up and took the man’s hand, “Thank you so much sir…for everything” The man smiled at me and pat my head. “Not a problem, we all need to help each other in this world” Then he walked away leaving me staring at Mike unsure of what to say.

I sat back down once again and Mike sat next to me, first taking off his jacket and placing it on my shoulders, “Seems like you should always carry a spare” He said in almost a sickly sweet voice.

The warmth of the jacket felt great after shivering for what felt like forever, “Thanks” My voice still sounded really shaky, “So what are you doing here?”

I still wasn’t looking at him but down at the floor. I realized at that moment how much of my life I spent looking down instead of up. Almost like I didn’t deserve the right to be proud and sure. He was fidgeting next to me, I could tell that he was now as cold as I was earlier. I went to take the jacket off but he stopped me, “I was in the area and thought I’d drop by” He said laughing and wrapping one arm around me.

“Are you okay?” He whispered coming in closer. I shook my head and the tears started up again, “I can’t do anything right. I mess everything up”

“Nick it’s not you”

“Who is it then?” He started to rub my back the same way the older man had. I felt like maybe I didn’t deserve him in my life at all. “Nickers…it’s not you. It’s just circumstances. Our dad is an ass! It doesn’t make you a bad person”

“No maybe not, but accusing you of stealing from me does”

“Nick, if I were in your position I probably would have done the same thing. I mean you have people all around you saying not to trust me including your own father and then BAM! Suddenly you find your wallet on me. I mean to not accuse me would have been idiotic” I looked over at him once more. I hadn’t realized how much this was probably effecting him. He was in the same exact boat as me. That in a very selfish way, made me feel a little better.

“I’m sorry dad did that to you Mike. I’m sorry I trusted him”

“Don’t apologize” He said and then leaned over and kissed the top of my head. My emotions had just about run dry so as I sat cradled in the arms of my big brother rocking slowly not even caring what we probably looked like to passers by. I recalled earlier days when mom and I would do the same thing. How when I felt so alone I would only find her arms to rescue me. I never felt the love that I should feel coming from a mom, but I felt it with Mike.

During this time Kevin had slowly walked towards us and took a seat on the other side of me. I was sandwiched by the two people I admired most. I felt his arm on my shoulder. Even if I hadn’t seen him coming I would have known by that grip.

“You okay lil man?” I pulled away from Mike and looked over at Kevin. He looked different to me tonight, maybe because I was seeing a friend instead of an enemy.

“Yeah I’m okay”

He put his hand under my chin and moved my head so he could examine the injuries to my face, “That must have hurt huh?”

“You should see the other guy” I joked but neither of them laughed.

“I’m sorry; you must both hate me for acting like such an incredibly stupid child. Running away and of course you having to rescue me…AGAIN!” Kevin laughed.

“It’s okay but I think from now on we are going to attach a homing device to you so this doesn’t happen again”

“Homing device…that’s pretty funny man” Mike said amused which made me laugh.

”So you mean to tell me you both don’t totally hate my guts then?”

Mike pointed over at Kevin, “Nickers…would I have come half way across New York with HIM if I hated your guts?”

“HEY!”

The playful way they were going at it made me smile. Could this really have a happy ending? “How did that happen anyway?” I asked now curious as to how they became traveling buddies.

“That’s a story for later, right now we should get you home…what do you say, ready to go?” Kevin stood and offered me a hand to help me up which I gladly took. Mike followed and we walked all three of us back towards the car.