- Text Size +
“Damn, did you get the right size? I can’t get this zipper up!” Eva pulled hard on the zipper. She stopped when she heard a little tiny rip. “Oops. I hope that isn’t serious.”

Rachel sighed. It was 7 o’clock. She had to be at the premiere in less than an hour and she still didn’t have her hair and makeup done. She was starting to regret her decision in turning down a professional stylist to come over and help her get ready. Yet, she wanted Eva to do her hair and makeup because she was really good at it. However, Eva didn’t come home from work until five minutes ago and Rachel was getting antsy.

“Is it just stuck or is it really too small? I mean, I got a size 6.” Eva raised her eyebrow and stopped pulling.

“You went a size up? Since when?” Rachel blushed and shut her eyes. She hadn't meant to say that out loud. She had been a size 4, but with all the stress from making her new movie, she moved up a size. Rachel was upset and even with Eva, her best friend since the 6th grade, she was embarrassed about it. It also didn’t help that in the back of Rachel’s mind she constantly thought of her mother.

“Since production started. Please, don’t make it a big deal.” Rachel whispered pain in her eyes. Eva frowned. She hated seeing her best friend insecure like this. Her mother has totally changed her for the worst. It just broke Eva’s heart.

“I didn’t mean anything by it. You know that. I was just asking. I mean, as your best friend it’s my job to always know your size. You know, in case I buy you clothes. And you know a size 6 isn’t big, Rach. It’s, like, actually perfect considering how you’re so tall. So, don’t think about it… or her.” Rachel frowned. That’s easy for you to say, you’re like a freaking size 0! She silently hoped that Eva would just drop the conversation immediately. The last thing she needed was to think about her mother all night while at the premiere. Eva continued talking. “And I don’t think it’s too small. I think something’s caught in the zipper. I can’t seem to pull it out like this though. Here, take the dress off.” Eva zipped her down. Rachel shimmied and stepped out of her dress. She waited uncomfortably in her underwear while Eva pulled out the material stuck in the zipper. She was embarrassed for Eva to see her body. She watched as Eva zipped the dress up and down and few times to make sure it was working.

“All set. Put it back on.” Rachel gladly slipped it back onto her body and Eva zipped her up.

“There. Now let’s do your hair. I was thinking of something really cute. Like maybe a side bun with a sleek part. Maybe even put something pretty in your hair like a flower or a barrette. And as for makeup, totally smoky eyes with a pink metallic shimmer over them. This will bring out your hazel eyes. Oh, and of course, bubble gum pink lips! Then for the cheeks, I’ll do this—”

“Eva! No time for your rambling! Get cracking! I’m late!” The last sentence was a high-pitched screech, a drastic change from Rachel's low, buttery voice. Rachel was getting very nervous. This was her first big premiere! And she was the star of the movie! Everyone was going to be there, watching the film and judging her. She sat, eyes closed, letting her thoughts drift to all the different scenarios that could take place during the night. Then, Eva snapped her back to reality.

“Done!” She exclaimed. “I think I did an awesome job. Take a look for yourself.” Rachel turned her chair around and stared into the mirror.

“Wow! I look great! Like a real movie star. Thank you so much Eva.” Rachel got up and hugged Eva.

“You’re welcome. And you are a real movie star!” Eva laughed and touched up Rachel’s hair. “Now, get a move on or you’re going to be late for your own premiere.”

Eva pulled Rachel away from the mirror and dragged her into the living room. As Rachel was being dragged towards the front door, her cell phone began to ring. Immediately knowing who the person calling was, she answered.

“Hi Caroline.” Rachel answered, rolling her eyes. It was her agent.

“You’re not in the limo. You’ve got 10 minutes to get here before I hunt you down young lady.” Caroline jokingly barked her orders.

Eva pushed Rachel out of her front door.

“Relax; I’m on my way out the door right now.” Rachel turned around just as the front door slammed in her face. She knocked on the door. “Clutch, please.” Eva nodded and ran to get Rachel’s clutch.

“What?” Caroline asked.

“Nothing, I wasn’t talking to you.”

Eva returned with a glittery black Prada clutch. Then, after handing it to Rachel, slammed the door again while yelling “You’re late!” Rachel laughed and began walking down the hall of Eva’s apartment complex.

“I’ll be there in 10 minutes, tops. Don’t worry Caroline. I love ya, bye.” Rachel hung up the phone while descending the stairs. When she reached the first floor she saw the black limo parked out in the front. That’s when it hit her. Oh my gosh. This is my premiere. Holy shit!

When she reached for the door with her shaky hand, a man ran beside her and pushed her hand away.

“Let me, ma’am.” The chauffeur offered. He opened the door and helped Rachel slide inside.

“Thank you.” She responded before he shut the door. Okay, Rach, deep breaths. In… out… In…



Nick! We’re going to be late. Do you want to be late? You know I hate being late. Please, hurry up so we won’t be—”.

Late. I know, don’t worry. Just let me change my shirt real quick.” Nick ran up the stairs, taking two at a time. He walked into Howie’s guest room and searched through his bag. Nick really wanted to wear his new shirt but couldn’t find it earlier. Now, he remembered where he put it. As he dug through his bag, he heard Howie’s muffled voice float through the air.

“Change your shirt? You’re shirt is fine! This is the fourth time, Nick! Nick!” Howie yelled to the younger man upstairs. “You’re worse than I am, man.” Howie mumbled. He waited, leaning on the rail of the stairs. He did not want to be late. A few minutes later, Nick came down, dressed in a black t-shirt with a dragon on the front. Howie rolled his eyes. He really doesn’t think I’m going to let him wear that, does he?

“You changed into that? Nick, do you know where we’re going?” Howie grabbed Nick’s shirt and looked at it, raising an eyebrow. Nick looked at the ensemble Howie was wearing; a white button down shirt with a Black blazer. Howie even wore dress pants and shoes. Nick thought he looked a little too overdressed.

“What’s wrong with this? It’s a cool shirt.” Nick tilted his head to the side while looking at his shirt which was still in Howie’s hand.

“It’s just not the appropriate attire. Go upstairs and change.” Howie pointed upstairs while pushing his friend along.

“I thought you didn’t want to be late?” Nick laughed while climbing the staircase.

“I don’t, but I want you to at least dress nicely tonight.” Howie chuckled. After waiting for another five minutes, Nick came back down with a baby blue button down and a navy blue blazer with an emblem of a skull on the left breast.

“That’s better. Now let’s roll out g-dawg!” Howie headed towards the front door. Nick stopped at the bottom of the stairs. I cannot believe he just said that!

“Dude, don’t ever say anything like that again!” Nick laughed on his way to the door while Howie frowned at his younger friend.

“Hey, I’m gangster.” This brought Nick to laugh harder.

He wiped the tears that formed in his eyes. “As gangster as Peewee Herman.”



On the ride to the premiere, Rachel was a mess. She was hyperventilating while shredding napkins into little strips, a nervous habit of hers. All she could think about was that this was her first big premiere. Hollywood style. That meant the paparazzi would flock to the location, equipped with flashing cameras for shots of all the movie stars and other celebrities that would also be attending. Everyone would focus on her. If she made a fool out of herself, everyone would notice. These thoughts caused more hyperventilating and her throat became really dry and itchy. She started drinking cup after cup of water. She went through all the bottles until there was none left. After searching for more water, she sat back and tried to take deep breaths. Her wheezing in the silence of the limo started to sound funny, which sent Rachel into an uncontrollable fit of laughter. That’s when she got them.

“Nooo!” Rachel groaned. “Not the hi—” She hiccupped. “—ccups.” She frowned. I’m in trouble now! she thought. Once Rachel got the hiccups, there was no way of stopping them until they died down on their own. Her hiccup spells could last for a whole day. She usually got them when she was extremely nervous or scared. Although she was completely capable of handling pressure, the few occurrences were she was unable to control her jitteriness, she was a total wreck. And at the very moment, in the limo ride, Rachel was the Titanic of shipwrecks.

Just my luck. she thought. I’m surprised it hasn’t gotten any worse. Just then, a wave of tingling sensations came over her. Oh no. She twisted her legs shut. Oh my gosh! I have to pee! She started bouncing up and down in her seat, wiggling, and crossing her legs all the while hiccupping a storm. How long is this damn car ride gonna last?! She was growing incredibly impatient. When the driver began slowing down in front of the premiere, Rachel grabbed a mirror out of her purse and checked up on her face. Straightening her outfit, she embraced herself on the side of the car as the driver opened the door. A sudden burst of camera flashes hit her face. This is it. She told herself. Don’t blow it, Rachel.



Nick and Howie sat at a table with AJ in a small fancy restaurant. Nick was stirring his soup with a frown on his face. AJ had shown up to the restaurant in his usual attire and Nick was jealous.

“Come on, Nick. It’s not a big deal. It’s just clothes. I promise that I’ll let you wear whatever you want to the premiere tomorrow.” Howie offered. He honestly didn’t think that Nick would take this so seriously.

“Yeah. You better.” Nick pouted. He really hated that Howie had made him change but didn’t even mention AJ’s attire when he walked through the doors. Why was it that all the guys thought they could tell him what to do? Probably because you always listen to them!

“You’re such a baby, Nick. Suck it up. Boo hoo.” AJ laughed while taking a sip of his water.

Nick threw a crouton at AJ. Howie sighed and shook his head.

“Nick, don’t do that here. This is a nice place.” Nick rolled his eyes. AJ laughed at Nick.

“Yeah, Nick. Don’t you have any class?” AJ grinned cheekily.

Nick threw another crouton and AJ caught it in his mouth. He smiled wide and raised his eyebrows. “I’m pretty good, huh?”

‘You two need to grow up.” Howie took a bite of his salad. “I wish Kevin was here.”

“What? Are we not fulfilling your entertainment needs?” AJ asked. “Here, how about we act like Kevin?” AJ sat up straight and made an expressionless face.

“I was watching a man make a chair from scratch once. It was the most fascinating thing I had ever seen. He took each piece of wood and skillfully carved the pieces, making such intricate details. I watched him for hours. It was as beautiful as a summer day back in Kentucky.” AJ spoke in slowly. Nick and Howie both started laughing. As much as they loved their eldest band mate and brother, they could never pass up an opportunity to make fun of Kevin.

“Yeah, like,” Nick sat up straight and tried to pretend he was Kevin. “Yeah, I watched paint dry on the walls once. It was… fun.” Nick stopped. He couldn’t think of anything else to say.

AJ and Howie burst out laughing. Nick had a look of deep concentration on his face as he searched his brain for something witty to say. AJ patted Nick on the back.

“It’s okay. Don’t hurt yourself thinking of something, little man.” He and Howie chuckled.

Nick blushed and stirred his soup again.

“I was done anyway, thank you very much.”