- Text Size +
Chapter 1


He laughed, “Okay so I’m a bastard so what?”

“Nick there are people who actually like bastards.”

“Yea right, Cole’s a bastard too!”

At hearing that Cole hit her brother, “ Shut up! A bastard’s a boy, not a girl!”

“Hey, that’s not what the dictionary says. If you’re parents aren’t married when you’re born then you are a bastard a.k.a. an illegitimate child.”

“Nick, as much as I loved your lesson on what you and Cole are, I need you two to stop so I can continue on with my lesson.”

Nick and Cole both nodded.

They were twins, Nick and Cole, twins that had a mom and a dad that weren’t married. Bastard twins you could call them. They had a pretty good life. Both were mixed with a black mom and a white dad. Nick got his blond hair and blue eyes from his dad while Cole got her thick brown hair and brown eyes from her mom. They both had their mother’s facial features; their mother was a beautiful woman. Their dad a person would call average. But it was their dad that made Nick beautiful. Cole looked like her mom, beautiful. Nothing of her dad but Nick was a split between them. Nick had so many things wrong with him including diabetes, asthma, and ADHD while Cole had nothing but allergies. They grew up in the ghetto. So they were pretty much little ghetto kids. Nick was a black ghetto person in a white person’s body and Cole was a black ghetto person in a mixed person’s body. No one shunned them for it. It was just the way they were. The way they were hurt them a lot because of the way they talked but they were always getting over it. There were many differences. Nick seemed to love getting in trouble at least once a day while Cole hated it. They were twins that were completely the same yet completely different.

*****

“Nickolas Carter you are the worst.”

“At…”

“At staying out of trouble.”

Nick was in the principal’s office. He had gotten into another fight.

Mr. Ramón, a black who the kids loved because of his being humorous, stared Nick down. Nick just rolled his eyes. He was so used to this kind of stuff.

“Do you feel it is your obligation to get in trouble? I should expel you. You know you almost broke his arm.”

“You should expel me? I was defending myself!”

“Did he almost break your arm?” Nick opened his mouth to answer but Mr. Ramón held his hand up, “ Don’t speak! I know you’re going to be a smart Alec about it. Anyway, you’re suspended for 3 days.”

“That’s not fair!”

“5 days”

“Neither is that.”

“7 days, I’ll go on and on.”

Nick stayed quiet.

****

“Why? Whatever Nick, I don’t care anymore. You are so close to getting expelled again. I won’t ground you but with your little hyper butt I’ll put you to work, how’s that?”

Cole listened as her mother lectured her brother. She knew he was probably happy that it was their mother that was lecturing him and not their dad because their dad was the worst was the worst. But he was still in trouble, as usual.

“But why can’t you stay out of trouble once in a while? Knowing you, you’ll be in trouble even when you’re suspended!”

What she didn’t know was that she was right; it actually wouldn’t be his fault though.

****


“Did you hear about all those missing kids that were just found?” asked Monique, one of Cole’s best friends.

“No, why?”

“No reason…. where’s your bro?”

“Suspended, another fight, you know the drill.” Cole searched her locker for her math book while Monique stared motionless at a newspaper clutched between her fingers.

Monique was a mixed teen (black and Mexican) who was sporty and cool. She’s also extremely quiet but can be loud when she wants to.

Cole looked across in Monique’s direction. Over her shoulder she saw a muscular figure move in her direction.

“Damn, as if my life ain’t hard enough!” Cole grumbled.

“What’s wrong?”

“Shawn, I don’t get it-“

Monique cut her off.

“Oh that dude that beat your brother up,” answered Monique while they tried to stroll past Shawn undetected. They failed by a long way.

“Hey, girls.” His voice was very deep. Shawn was surrounded by a bunch of his jock friends but quickly escaped them to stand behind Cole.

“And he didn’t beat him up, the fight was neutral,” whispered Cole in Monique’s ear. Cole then looked at Shawn and said, “ How can you get my brother suspended then dare come in my direction?” Her voice was high and cracked with anger.

“Oh that fool was your brother? Well, anyways, I didn’t come to talk about him, I came to talk about you,” Shawn said trying to sound nice. Monique stumbled a bit trying to hold in her laughter.

“Listen, Shawn I have no time for your bitching,” yelled Cole raising her voice.

“Either do I!” answered Shawn slamming Cole into a nearby locker, “I’m losing my temper with you Colien Carter!”

“Then why you messing with her,” sighed Monique who had been standing there laughing. The bell rang and Shawn punched the locker as an attempt to scare her. The only thing it did was make her blink.

“ Don’t you dare say anything else!” yelled Shawn looking at Monique.

“We don’t have time for this!”

“You don’t have time for this!”

“No! Monique was right the first time,” Cole’s voice lowered to a whisper,” We don’t have time for anything you have to say,” she removed his hand from her shoulder and walked away with Monique by her side. They knew they were late to class but didn’t mind.

“You’re late… both of you,” Said Mrs. Swartz as Monique and Cole walked into the classroom.

“My locker wouldn’t open,” said Cole.

“What about you?” Mrs. Swartz asked pointing at Monique.

“I was helping her,” answered Monique. They took their seats in the back of the class.

By the end of the class the girls knew no more then when they entered. Slowly Cole gathered her books and walked to her second period class with Monique. They weren’t looking forward to it because they had it with Shawn.

****

Nick stared at the TV. A bunch of kids that had been kidnapped a couple of days before were found and the kidnappers were still in his city, supposedly. Great, he had to ride into the city. On his bike, what was a bike going to do to help him if someone came up behind him anyway? This was just great.

“Nick leave, now.”

“I can’t. I’ll get kidnapped by a kidnapper!” Nick didn’t want to leave but knew he was making his mother very mad. But there were kidnappers out there!

“Nickolas Gene, if you feel as if you can fight a person bigger than you at school, you can fight a person bigger then you in the city. Now leave!”

“But-“

“Get out of my house now boy!” yelled his mother.

Nick bit his lip staring at his mom. She was yelling which meant she was mad which meant she-

“If you don’t get out my house now, you’ll have a bloody nose right along with that black eye you sporting! Get. Out.”

“Yes, ma’am,” Nick ran. She was crazy.

****

He slowly opened the garage. They really needed an opener. He looked in. His bike. His beautiful bike. He loved his bike. He was going to ride his bike today into the city that was filled with kidnappers.

“Kidnappers,” he whispered to himself.

He then climbed onto the bike a rode down the street. He turned onto Main St. and rode down it. Why was he going anyway? Oh yea, his crazy mother. The grocery store. Yippee. He had to go get, he looked down at the list she had given him, eggs, and milk, and-

He skidded to a stop as a black van with no windows pulled in front of him.

“Damnit kid, move the fuck out the way!”

“Sorry,” he whispered.

“What? I ain’t hear you. Your ass better apologize before I get out and beat it!”

“I said sorry!” Black van, no windows except for the front. ‘Goodbye bike’, he looked down at his bike.

“Now you gettn’ smart? Wait till I get out!”

Nick bit his lip and looked around. Was this guy serious? The man stepped out of the van and Nick backed away. Maybe he should ride away.

“Kid, you must be deaf,” said the man. As he got closer to him Nick noticed that he had a big bald spot in the middle of his head and that he smelled of strong beer. The kind his father drank sometimes. His dad was really violent when he drank that type of beer so he could only guess this dude would be too. He closed his eyes and felt a surge of annoyance.

“Man, I didn’t do shit-“

At that moment Nick wished he had controlled that annoyance and hadn’t said anything. The guy made a swing at his head and succeeded to hit him. But not with his fist, a small wooden board. Nick fell stumbling on a curb, he could feel a small trickle of blood going down the side of his face.

“Nick!” yelled a voice from a distance. La’Toya, a friend of his, came running into view. Nick could feel himself being pulled into the van in a not so nice way by more than one pair of hands. He could probably fight back; he tried to pull away but failed. His head was killing him now. That van door was shut and Nick’s mouth was covered with a piece of duct tape. Nick stopped when he remembered hearing La’Toya’s voice, he had to tell her to get away but couldn’t. All he could do was listen to the sound of her voice.

“What’s going on?” asked La’Toya staring at the man that had just hit Nick.

“You’re a very nosy young lady aren’t you?” answered the man taking a step towards La’Toya.

“When it comes to my friends you better believe it,” La’Toya’s voice was strong and stern. The man took another step toward La’Toya but she stood her ground.

“Oh, now you wanna try to be brave? Look at what happened to your little friend!” the man laughed at her.

She didn’t answer but jumped away when the man swung at her. She landed in another man’s arms and was thrown into the van.

****

Cole looked over at Monique; Shawn had been paired up with her, Monique. Damn teacher, giving them another project with no warning, again.

She frowned as Shawn raised his hand, “ Mrs. Joel, I don’t get along with this person very well, can I switch partners?”

Mrs. Joel looked up and looked around, “Yes, switch with Cole.”

Cole smiled and Shawn frowned. She knew what he had wanted to do. She stopped smiling and Shawn started smiling after Mrs. Joel said almost the worst thing Cole could hear, “The groups will be lined up across the front of the room sitting in the order as follows: Cole and Monique- wait change that, Monique first then Cole then Shawn beside Cole and Eric…”

Cole stopped listening. She had to sit beside Shawn. That wasn’t good. Great, just great.

They all walked to their seats and sat down. Shawn leaned over to Cole to whisper something in her ear but Cole pushed him away. He frowned and pinched her She pinched him right back but harder. She looked at him and stared. He stared straight back. Shawn looked away when the bell rang. Cole smiled; she always won in a staring contest.

Cole and Monique gathered their books up. Monique noticed Shawn wouldn’t stop looking at Cole. She tapped Cole on the shoulder and pointed.

“Shawn, fuck the fuck off.”

“I’ll fuck you no problem Cole.”

“I’ll fuck your ugly ass up in a not so good way.”

“I’ll fuck you’re brother up again.”

“No you won’t you stupid asshole because he fucked you up.”

“No, I fucked him up.”

“I’ll fuck you up if you keep talking.” By this time they were in the hall walking. People were starting to stare.

“I’ll fuck you up so bad your brother won’t be able to get a jack stuck up his gay ass by you.”

At hearing this Cole stopped and looked at Shawn. He had just called her brother gay. Cole’s eyes darkened.

“Even if you could stick a jack up the fag’s ass he would probably love it and want something bigger.”

Monique could see Cole’s eyes getting darker and darker with each word Shawn said.

“Hell I wouldn’t be surprised if he takes the seat off his bike and fucks him-.”

“You stupid motherfucking jackass! Talk about me all you want but when it come to my family you done crossed the line. Hey, why don’t you tell everyone how my brother almost broke your arm? He jacked you up. He will stick his foot up your ass. And you’ll like it.”

“You know I’m telling the truth.”

Cole kicked him hard where it hurts.

“You stupid bitch!”

Cole grabbed Monique’s arm and pulled her away.

****

“That’s what I’m talking about Cole! Everyone’s talking about it.”

Cole and Monique had decided to walk home. They were on Main Street. It was around 3:00 and they had wanted to take the city way out. They were having fun.

Cole laughed, “He was being an asshole. I’ve done that to Nick so many times when he was being an asshole so I’m used to being called a bitch.”

“Trust me, I know. But that was hilarious!”

Cole stayed quiet. Monique looked over to ask her what was wrong and saw she had stopped, “What’s wrong?”

Cole pointed. Monique looked and saw a bike. Was she thinking about stealing it? She was ghetto.

“Monique, that’s my brother’s bike.”

“Maybe he left it there on purpose?”

“On the curb in perfect view for my dad? Yea right, he’s not that stupid.”

“Maybe he is.” Monique and Cole turned to see Shawn.

“Fuck off.”

“Come here then!”

“Go away Shawn, we’re talking.”

“Good for you Monique. I have to talk to Cole.”

Cole looked at him, “Uh, no. Uh-uh, this is an A and B conversation; you need to C your way out.”

“I want to know what happened to Nicky though.”

Monique and Cole turned their backs to Shawn. They looked at each other and nodded and walked away. They wouldn’t get pissed at this poor excuse- no, not that- just Shawn.

“Fine, I’ll see you tomorrow!” Shawn walked away.

“Now, back to Nick. Are you sure that’s his bike?” Cole nodded, “Okay so it’s his bike. You know he wouldn’t leave it on the curb on purpose but it’s there.”

“He wouldn’t. Trust me, I know my brother.”

“Well, -.”

“Is that your brother?”

Cole and Monique turned and found something being put onto their faces. A cloth. They struggled but soon passed out. The man smiled and threw them into the van. All the needed was four strong kids that would listen. That’s what they got. It’s what they had. If only they knew.