- Text Size +
TROUBLE CHAPTER 10

Hours later, the boys were restless again. Nick was up pacing around the room, always making sure he was closest to the door to keep his friends protected. Kevin was pretending to sleep, but his face was tense, and Nick could tell immediately that he couldn’t possibly be relaxed enough to be asleep. Brian was actually sleeping, his mouth slightly agape as he lay on his back. A.J. was biting his nails nervously, and staring straight into space absently.


Nick noticed A.J.’s nail biting, and with a small smile, crossed to A.J. kneeling down. Gently, Nick took A.J.’s hands from his mouth and pushed them into A.J.’s lap. “C’mon Aje, you just broke that habit,” Nick chided softly.


“Ya well I just broke my habit of smoking and now I could really use a cigarette,” A.J. joked back.


Nick laughed and added, “I’ve never smoked in my life, but I’m thinking I could use one too…perhaps when this is all over I’ll start…!”

“You better not!” Kevin called from his cot, his eyes remaining closed.

Nick giggled to himself as the door opened. Abruptly, all the boys excluding Brian stood immediately. Ace walked inside by himself. Nick readied a fighting stance. “What do you want?” He growled at Ace.

“You Nick…for your second mission.”

“Where’s Howie?” Ace took this as an acceptance for the mission.

“That is for Nick alone to know…and he shall see,” Ace replied. Nick nodded once, a ghost of a smile gracing his lips. He turned to A.J. Kevin, and Brian.

“I’ll be back soon okay?” he whispered.

A.J., pale now, nodded and whispered, “Good luck.”

Then Nick turned, and walked out the door, Ace following. Nick was forced down the hallway outside the cell, toward a large steel door at the end of one of the halls. Nick stopped obediently as Ace stepped up to the door, opening it and turning towards Nick with a wicked grin on his face. “Go down this staircase, and Viper will be waiting for you.”


Nick brushed past Ace, and approached the staircase. Nick craned his neck to get a good look down the stairs. He shuddered, it was all so foreboding. The staircase was made out of perfect rectangular stones, and it wound out of sight several feet from him.

Nick thought little of that however, as Ace slammed the door shut, trapping Nick in the darkness. He gasped and then turned back around towards the stairs. Taking a deep breath, he followed them down.

The stairs looped around in circles as the walls got darker, damper, and narrower. Nick continued to walk as fear began to bubble up inside of him. He didn’t like the dark. The dark had scared him since he joined Viper’s gang.

Whenever Nick failed missions, he would beg them for consequences instead of them hurting his family. Viper would agree to let Nick spend countless nights alone in an enclosed room with no sound, save his breathing to comfort him. This horror was intensified, as Viper would shut off the lights, leaving Nick in complete, deafening silence, and enveloped in pitch-black consciousness. Some nights he would feel the need to pull out his hair. Some nights, he wondered if he’d make it through at all…

Nick shook himself from his thoughts on the past as he came to stand in front of Viper. Viper smiled almost pleasantly as Nick entered. “Hello Viper,” Nick sighed.

Hello Nick,” Viper responded politely though he was secretly annoyed that Nick still wasn’t addressing him properly, “Let’s get going shall we?”

“Wait…well there is one thing…” Nick trailed off uncomfortably.

“What?” Viper inquired.

“How do I know…I mean…have…?” Nick stammered not knowing exactly how to ask Viper for what he wanted.

“Ohhh, You want assurance?” Viper finished for Nick understanding, “assurance that Mr. Dorough is indeed still living?”

“Yes.” Nick whispered

Viper grinned and nodded “Alrigh’ Nicky boy! Follow me!” Nick gulped and followed Viper to the wall across the room. On it was a T.V. that showed various points of what Nick guessed was a maze. Viper typed a couple of buttons before it centered in the center of the maze. Nick gasped at what he saw.

“What have you done to him?” he choked. Howie was lying on his side, his face on one arm, while the other was wrapped around his midsection. Howie’s face was swollen with bruises and dried blood, and the rising and falling of his chest was barely noticeable.

Viper shrugged, “Not very much actually…now are you ready to be debriefed for your mission?”

“Yes.”

“Very well. You will start your mission through this door,” Viper pointed to a door that led into an area with walls slightly lower than the ceiling. “You will find your way to the center of this maze where your friend Howie is.”

“That’s it?” Nick asked incredulously.

Viper laughed almost sadistically. “No no no Nicky! There are countless dangers that you will need to fight off or dodge…but we will give you a hunting knife to take with you,” Viper laughed as he pulled out a knife from the front pocket of his black jacket and tossed it to Nick. Nick caught it and looked towards the door.

“Well…Good Luck!” Viper said sticky sweet before he turned and left Nick alone.

Nick looked towards the doors and sighed. ‘It’s now or never…’ he thought before reaching a trembling hand out towards the door handle. His other hand reached for the knife and held it in front of him. With speed unknown to himself before, Nick launched the door open, knife at the ready. Nothing happened. He relaxed a bit with a sigh, and continued forward.

Behind him, Nick could vaguely hear the door slam. He ignored it and continued down the maze’s path. A few steps later, Nick felt himself relax even more and sighed in relief, pulling the knife to his side. He continued on still cautiously, all of his senses perked. A snarling sound suddenly came from behind him. Cautiously, and slowly, Nick turned his head to glance behind him.

Glazed, yellow eyes glared back at him. Yellow tinted sharp fangs were bared at Nick as he looked this animal in the eye. “Good doggie, I won’t hurt you,” Nick murmured backing away slowly. The “doggie” advanced on Nick and it was then that Nick realized his mistake. This wasn’t a dog. It was a wolf. Nick did the first thing that came to his mind, he ran. The wolf ran after him.

Faster and faster Nick ran through the maze, his feet pounding against the hard ground. He could hear the wolf snapping at his heels and yelped. He ran faster still.

Up ahead, he saw a gap in the ground. He didn’t like the look of it and decided to jump it. Setting his jaw in determination, he sped up still and when he reached the edge of the gap, he leapt out as far as he could, the wolf following him. Nick could feel himself flying through the air, but knew he wouldn’t make it to the other side. In desperation, Nick threw out his arms, and attempted to catch the edge of the gap.

‘C’mon c’mon c’mon,’ Nick’s mind screamed. Success! Nick’s hands caught the edge of the gap. He could hear the wolf try to grab the side, but then no longer heard the clicking of the animal’s claws on the wall. There was silence, then a sudden yelp as the wolf fell. The wolf was silenced.

Nick set about pulling himself out of the gap. As soon as Nick was back on safe ground, he turned to look into the gap and gasped in shock. The gap was filled with sharp spikes that would have impaled Nick had he fallen into the gap. Impaled him, like it did the wolf. Nick looked away and stood up to continue.

After walking for a minute or two, Nick stopped suddenly. It was too quiet. Not a sound was in the maze. It made Nick nervous…very nervous. He continued on slowly, the silence deafening him. The deafening sound almost drove him insane. He stepped another cautious step…then another…. then another…. and an-

**WHOOSH**

Nick jumped back just in time as a sudden movement caught his gaze from the corner of his eye. He looked to his left where he saw the object go, and gasped. A spear was driven into the wall, spear first. Curious of where it could have come from, Nick removed his shirt and waved it out in front of him.

**WHOOSH**

Another three spears shot from the wall, and embedded itself on the opposite side, taking Nick’s shirt with him. Sighing, Nick trotted to his shirt, and put it back on, then ran back a few feet grumbling something under his breath about Viper’s sense of humor and Indiana Jones.

Nick turned back towards the walls that seemingly shot spears from them. Taking a deep breath, he took a running start and leapt to the middle of the spear walls. He ducked his head, and continued to deftly dodge the spears that sped by his hands, head, feet, sides, legs, and arms, panting in both fear and weary.

Nick had just about made it to the other side when he felt a spear, shot from the wall, graze his left side. Nick yelped in pain as he reached the other side where he promptly fell to his knees in shock. Painfully, he put more pressure on his side to stop the bleeding.

Gritting his teeth, he pulled himself to his feet and continued down the path. He came to a fork in the road. Nick contemplated which path to take while scratching his head. Shrugging, he pointed left, and used an old trick taught to him to decide his way.

“Einie Meeny Minie Moe,” Nick muttered pointing left to right. “Catch a tiger by the toe, if he hollers let him go, einie meeny minie moe…LEFT!” He smiled at his cleverness and walked down the left path.

Nick’s smile grew as he turned another corner, then faded rapidly as he realized, “DEAD END?! Stupid Einie Meeny Minie Moe!” He grumbled angrily before he walked back the way he came.

Nick walked down the right side this time before coming to a wide opening. Nick glanced around from left tot right, then up and down before deeming it safe and continuing onwards.

A quiet whimper of pain disrupted his venture. Looking up once again, Nick saw a limp body lying in the center of the opening. Upon further inspection, Nick realized that the limp body was the reason why he was there. Gulping shakily, Nick called out, “Howie?” Nick approached Howie’s crumpled body and stooped down. Howie was unconscious, yet his face showed visible pain. It was obvious why as there were cuts and bruises all over his body, his left eye was black and blue, and blood ran everywhere on his body.

“God ‘D what did they do to you?” Nick whispered. Nick reached out a tentative hand to gently inspect a bleeding cut on Howie’s face. Howie let out a yelp and his eyes snapped open. Howie tried to jump up and away from Nick, but Nick grabbed onto Howie to force him to keep still. Howie struggled in Nick’s grip before Nick could soothe his friend. Howie began to shake and whimper in terror.

“P-please…no more…don’t hurt me …” he whispered weakly.

Nick barely recognized his friend’s voice. It was so weak sounding, not at all like the Howie Nick knew. Swallowing the lump forming in his throat, Nick tightened his arms around Howie in comfort. “Easy ‘D, it’s just me,” he whispered soothingly in Howie’s ear, “relax now so you don’t make it worse.”

Howie immediately sagged in relief. “Nick,” he whispered through forming tears of pain and torment. He then relaxed fully.

“Relax ‘D, I’ve gotchya… and I’ll find a way to get us back to the others,’ Nick said gently.

“No argument *yawn* here,” Howie murmured before drifting off. Howie’s eyes dropped closed and his body went limp as Nick soothed him to a short nap.

Nick carefully laid Howie down and looked him over once again. A soft whimper escaped as his back hit the cement. Nick carefully pressed on Howie’s midsection to see f he could tell if he had broken ribs. As far as Nick could tell Howie did not have them broken. Howie’s arms were cut and bruised but a bump on Howie’s right arm bothered him.

Nick reached out and gently touched the bump on Howie’s arm. Howie’s eyes shot open and he elicited a pain filled yelp. “Sorry, sorry, sorry!” Nick immediately apologized quietly.

“Jeeze Nick,” Howie half growled half moaned.

“It broken?” Nick asked shortly.

“I think so,” Howie replied in a hiss.

“Your legs?” Nick inquired.

Howie moved his legs easily. “Uh uh, they’re just bruised,” Howie replied.

“Well since you can move your legs I can rule out a spinal injury,” Nick said in relief. “Can you stand ‘D?”

“Yeah, if you help me I think I can.”

Nick smiled in encouragement before he raised himself. He leaned down and offered Howie his left arm. Howie took it and allowed Nick to pull him to his feet. Howie moaned in pain as he stood. “You alright?” Nick asked.

“I…” Howie replied before his knees seemed to give out. Nick caught him quickly.

“Whoa D! What’s wrong?”

“I don’t know…my vision got cloudy and my knees gave out.”

“Did you hit your head?” Nick asked in sudden realization.

“If being punched repeatedly in the head counts, then yes. Otherwise, no, not to my knowledge,” Howie answered.

“Hmmm…well we’ll figure it out when we get back…c’mon I’ll support you,” Nick encouraged.

Nick pulled Howie back to a standing position. Nick supported most of Howie’s weight, and they began back through the maze.

“Ahh…I see you have found your friend,” Viper’s voice rang from somewhere within the maze, “well so you know, the spears are off…as well as the other dangers.”

“Thanks,” Nick snapped sarcastically. Viper’s voice didn’t reply. Nick walked with Howie back through the maze, taking it slowly. They passed the fork that stumped Nick, to the spear wall. Nick hesitated and waved his arm out in front of him cautiously.

“What are you doing?” Howie asked.

“Shh…you’ll see,” Nick replied. When nothing happened, Nick smiled and turned to Howie who was still confused. “Last time I did that, it went Temple of Doom Style…spears shot from the holes in the wall,” Nick explained.

“You weren’t hurt were you?” Howie asked in concern, his eyes wide.

Nick thought of the hole in his side before replying guiltily, “Nah…I’m fine.”

Howie left it at that and the pair approached the pit. “Don’t look,” Nick warned. But it was too late Howie already saw.

“What happened to the wolf?” Howie asked feeling sick that the wolf had obviously been chasing Nick.

“It met with misfortune…they didn’t get on too well,” Nick joked.

Finally, the two reached the beginning of the maze where they were met by Viper and Ace. Viper was grinning. “That’s my boy Nicky! You’re done for today. Ace take them back.”

Nick bit back an angry reply for Howie’s sake and allowed Ace to push them toward the staircase that Nick had descended down earlier. Nick and Howie walked up from the dark damp dungeon like downstairs and into the bright and sterile building with difficulty. Ace escorted them down the dimly lit hallway back to their cell where they stood and waited until Ace opened the door to it.

Ace opened the door and motioned them to go inside. Nick pulled Howie inside and listened to the door slam shut behind them.

Nick turned with Howie to the center of the room. “HOWIE!” Howie raised his eyes and was met in a tight hug. He yelped as pain shot through his arm. The figure let go and Howie smiled weakly as he recognized who it was.

“Aje…” he grinned. A.J.’s face was drawn tight, he had worry in his chocolate colored eyes, and had bags underneath his eyes. Howie studied him for a minute. “…you look like crap,” he commented seriously.

A.J. looked a bit taken aback before he grinned and retorted, “Ya well you ain’t gonna be winning no beauty pageants either.” He noticed Howie cradling his arm. But before he could ask, Brian and Kevin approached.

“You alright D?” Brian asked, his face showing similar worry. Howie nodded.

“I’m alive,” Howie replied.

“Are you hurt?” Kevin asked concerned for his younger brother.

“Nope. Not at all. I’m perfectly healthy,” Howie quipped, “Look at me Kev…what do you think?”

Kevin grinned. “Right, sorry,” he laughed, as Nick led Howie to one of the cots. There he gripped Howie’s right arm, the broken one. Howie hissed in pain but didn’t try and retract his arm. “Ya Howie it’s definitely broken.” Howie simply nodded through the pain. Nick hesitated before continuing, “I’m gonna have to se-“

“Just do it Nick,” Howie whispered bracing himself. Nick gave a curt nod.

“Kev, hold down his shoulders,” Nick ordered. Kevin did as asked. A.J. wordlessly stepped to Howie’s left side and took his free hand giving it a gentle squeeze. Howie smiled gratefully as Nick took his other arm in his hands.

Nick took a deep breath as Nick gripped Howie’s arm into his hands and carefully began to move the bones back into place. Howie screamed in pain and gripped A.J.’s hand tightly. He bucked against Kevin as Brian looked on almost sickened by the scene of Kevin holding Howie down.

A.J. rubbed the back of Howie’s hand as Howie screamed. Nick winced and shut his eyes for a moment. “I was trying to be gentle ‘D...but…”

**SNAP**

“AIIIIEEEGGGGHHHH!” Howie screamed out. White-hot pain seared through his arm to the point Howie blacked out. He could hear nothing…just feel the pain.
//Howie

Howie had never broken anything and this made him wish that he would pass out. His vision was dark, but he wasn’t passed out. The pain was too much.

/Howie

Wait…Someone was talking to Howie. But Howie felt disoriented, and confused. He couldn’t remember what had happened to him, only that he had been in a great amount of pain before.

“HOWIE!” A.J.’s voice boomed. Howie’s eyes shot open and he realized he was panting. Brian was now sitting by Howie’s head, wiping a cool cloth on his forehead to wipe away the sweat that had formed there. Kevin had let go and was looking down at Howie in concern, resting one of his hands on Howie’s thigh. A.J. was still rubbing the back Howie’s hand. Nick meanwhile was looking at Howie intently.

“Are you okay?” Nick asked.

“I…” Howie croaked. He swallowed and noticed then that the pain was only dull now. “I think so…it definitely feels better.”

“Good cuz you scared us pretty good when you passed out,” Kevin voiced in concern.

Howie looked confused. “I passed out?”

“Ya for like five minutes!” Brian answered.

“Oh,” Howie moaned. Nick left Howie’s vision for a minute, then came back into view holding one of the chairs. Nick quickly flipped the chair over and kicked two legs off it. Then Nick ripped one of the pillow cases to shreds.

“I’m gonna splint your arm Howie okay?” Nick asked.

“Yeah go ahead,” Howie replied tiredly.

Nick quickly put the chair legs around Howie’s arm. Then with Kevin holding them, he used the strips of the pillow case to make straps to hold the chair legs to Howie’s arm. Howie ground his teeth in pain. Nick used another pillow case to make a sling to keep pressure off of Howie’s arm.

When Nick finished, Howie smiled. “Thanks Nick, it feels much better now.”
“No worries ‘D,” Nick smiled before walking away. Kevin, Brian and A.J. sat next to Howie as Nick walked away. While his other friends were occupied by Howie, Nick lifted his shirt to inspect his wound from the spear that grazed his side. The blood had seemed to finish clotting, yet the wound was deeper than he had originally thought.

“Wow, that looks bad,” Brian said from across the room. Nick quickly put his shirt down and opened up his mouth to explain.

Before he said anything Howie replied, “It’s not so bad.” Nick breathed a sigh of relief as he realized they were talking to Howie, not him.

“It sure looks bad…did you hit your head Howie?” Kevin asked.

“Not to my knowledge,” Howie quoted from his earlier questioning with Nick. Nick watched with a smile as A.J., Kevin, and Brian looked at Howie in worry.

“What?” Howie asked a bit annoyed.

“Are you sure you’re alright?” Brian asked softly.

Howie sighed. “I’m FINE all they did was rough me up a bit. It’s not a big deal.” Howie said.

“It’s a big deal to us ‘D…we thought they would kill you,” A.J. said piercing Howie with a concerned look.

Howie smiled. “But I’m alive and let’s leave it at that okay?” Howie said. A.J., Kevin and Brian all nodded.

“Good…now I think I want to sleep…” Howie said with a yawn.

“Gnight ‘D,” Brian murmured also laying down. Howie didn’t respond, as he was already asleep.