- Text Size +
Trouble Chapter 11

~*~*

Howie’s eyelids moved rapidly as his eyes darted underneath them. He yawned, wiped the sleep from his eyes and sat up.

To his left, Howie heard steady breathing. He looked down to see the top of A.J.’s head resting on the top of his cot. His head lay against his outstretched arm, and a small trail of drool escaped from the corner of his mouth as he slept. No doubt, he’d been up all night, making sure Howie was okay.

Howie smiled fondly at his friend before continuing his glance around the room. Brian lay on another cot still tossing and turning, much to Howie’s displeasure, but then Howie noticed it wasn’t as violent as before.

Kevin lay on top of his own cot, his left arm draped gently over his midsection, seemingly sleeping peacefully. And Nick…wait where was Nick? Howie glanced around frantically before to his relief, his gaze fell onto the younger blonde.

Nick stood with his back leaning against the wall, his arms crossed and his head bowed onto his chest. One of Nick’s legs was bent, and his foot was pressed flat against the wall. Howie couldn’t tell if Nick was asleep or just relaxing himself.

Nick must have felt Howie’s gaze on him, because he looked up and glanced around the room, seemingly nervous, before catching Howie’s gaze. Gone was the nervous look, and was replaced by a look of relief. He grinned. “Good Morning!” he chirped quietly before continuing, “although we can’t be too sure it IS morning as there are no windows and there is no sense of time in here…but…hey! Howie Doin?”

Howie rolled his eyes at Nick’s attempt to lighten the situation. “Better Nicky….How are ya?” he asked climbing off the cot rather clumsily with his broken arm.

Nick was silent for a moment before replying, “Good!” then as an afterthought to himself, ‘If by good you mean in agonizing pain from this cut…’ He kept a calm smile on his face as this bitter thought ran through his head.


The lock on the cell door clicked then, and Nick pushed himself from the wall as the door opened, his wince going unnoticed by Howie who cowered back. Nick was on full alert and tensed as Ace walked in carrying a tray of food and water. “Nick?” Howie whispered terror filled.

“Wake everyone D.” Nick instructed without turning his gaze from the man before him.

Nick heard Howie back away from him, and listened to him rouse the others. “Kev…Kev…Wake up…Ace is back…”

“I’m up!” Kevin said immediately going to Brian. “Wake up Coz’ we got company.” Brian was then up and Howie quickly shook A.J. awake.

Nick just stared at Ace, his blue eyes searing an imaginary hole into Ace’s flesh.

“Oooo if looks could kill!” Ace laughed.

“What do you want?” Nick snapped impatiently.

“Just delivering the food Viper wanted to give ya’ll…” Ace answered.

“Uh…thanks,” Nick replied uneasily. Ace wanted something else…he had to be here for another reason. Nick could sense it.

Ace’s eyes narrowed and he smiled in sick pleasure. “How’s your side Nicky?” he spat.

Nick closed his eyes finally realizing why Ace was here. ‘Shit.’ He thought guiltily before replying, “Just fine thank you.” flashing a grin at Ace. Ace wanted to make the others mad at him.

“Glad to hear it…eat up!” Ace said before leaving.

Nick sighed and turned toward his friends not meeting the eye of any of them. “Well here ya go!” Nick said holding the tray out to Kevin who snatched it. Nick looked up with a sigh deciding to get it over with and looked into four pairs of angry eyes. Nick grinned sheepishly.

“Nick-“ Kevin growled angrily.

“Kev…I can explain,” Nick quickly cut him off.

“Let’s see it,” A.J. ordered looking at Nick’s sides.

“It’s nothing…honest!” Nick protested backing away from them.

“It must be something if Ace mentioned it,” Brian added sounding angry also. Nick glanced into the angry faces of his friends. Guilt spread through him, and being a male, he felt defensive.

“Look I’m not a kid, so just leave it alone and don’t worry about it.” Nick snapped.

“It’s not about being a kid or not now…please let us check it,” Howie said gently. Nick sighed and shook his head.

“Don’t concern yourself…I’ve had worse,” he murmured attempting to walk away. A.J. grabbed him.

“Nick I’m gonna knock some sense into you if you don’t quit acting all ‘rough and tough’ and start behavin’ like you should!” A.J. snapped shaking Nick’s shoulder roughly. Kevin quickly pulled him away from Nick and was about to say something before he heard Nick sigh.

Nick rolled his eyes at A.J. and lifted up his shirt. The cut was deep, and covered with dry blood. The area around it was swollen and red suggesting it might be infected. A chorus of gasps ran throughout his friends. “See?” Nick muttered looking at the ground, “Nothing.”

“What are you kidding?!” Brian exclaimed.

“Nick that’s really deep kiddo,” A.J. added more gently than before.

“Nick why didn’t you tell me when I asked if you were hurt?” Howie whispered in a hurt tone.

Nick rolled his eyes. “Cuz I knew you’d react this way,” Nick said before putting his shirt back down and walking away. He sat down on another cot, before easing himself back against the wall, closing his eyes. Truth be told, he felt rather dizzy from lack of sleep and blood loss.


“Here Nick.” Nick opened his eyes, and glanced up to see that Kevin was standing next to Nick holding a bowl full of what Nick guessed was soup like the day before, and a glass of water. Nick took the glass, then moved away muttering, “Thanks.” He needed the water to help replace the blood he had lost, but didn’t feel very hungry as his stomach was queasy.

“Nick you forgot your food,” Kevin pointed out.

“Give it to Brian,” Nick said quietly drinking the water.

“No, it’s yours,” Kevin said firmly.

“Kevin, in case you didn’t hear me, I’m gonna say it again…Give it to Brian.” He paused, “I ain’t hungry.”

Kevin frowned. “If you’re doing missions you’ll need double strength…eat something.”

Nick grinned, and the sight frightened Kevin. It wasn’t a happy filled smile, it was a forced, haunted smile that made Nick look twice his age. “I’ve gone much longer without food than a couple of days. Plus if I eat it now, I will throw it back up. Give. It. To. Brian.”

Nick then turned away and laid down on a cot, closing his eyes. He then felt someone at his side moments later. Biting back a frustrated sigh, he turned to see A.J. “Hi Aje, what’s up?” he asked sitting up and wincing.

“I’m gonna clean your wound Nick,” A.J. informed Nick. Nick was about to say no, but then saw the look in A.J.’s eye and knew that the rebel was genuinely worried for Nick. Nick sighed.

“Fine,” Nick agreed finally.

A.J. set about cleaning and wrapping Nick’s cut as best he could with the limited supplies. When A.J. finished Nick smiled at him. “Thanks A.J.” he said feeling slightly better.

A.J. smiled back. “No prob kiddo.”

“BRIAN!” Howie’s alarmed voice frightened everyone especially Nick as he turned to see Brian convulsing on his cot. Nick’s eyes widened and he dashed over to Brian’s cot.

“What happened?” he demanded of Howie who looked like he was in shock.

“I…I don’t know…we were talking one minute, then his eyes rolled back into his head and this happened…” Howie stammered.

A.J. put a comforting hand on Howie’s shoulder as Nick pulled Brian’s hands into his own allowing him to convulse. Kevin reached towards Brian. “DON’T touch him,” Nick ordered firmly, “Let it run its course. That’s all we can do without causing more harm.”

“BRIAN SNAP OUT OF IT!” Nick heard Kevin yell. Nick almost smiled. That wouldn’t do any good. Nick just held on until Brian stopped shaking.

Nick hesitantly let go of Brian’s hands and stood back, giving Brian air. Nick studied his own hands, noticing the cuts on his palms from Brian’s clenching nails. Brian lay still, and Nick turned around to see his friends all wide eyed, and pale. He smiled. “Come on he just needs rest now.”

“Will…he…be alright?” Howie asked.

“Yeah…it was just a small seizure.”

“Just?” Kevin muttered.

“Yeah, he’ll wake up eventually…’D you look rather pale…why don’t you lay down for awhile…” Nick suggested helping Howie to his feet and to a cot to lay down. A.J. followed and sat next to Howie talking quietly with him to calm the Latino down.


An hour passed before Brian stirred. He moaned quietly in his sleep and brought his hand to his forehead.

Kevin immediately jumped up. “Brian,” he murmured gently as he reached Brian’s side. Brian’s eyes opened.

“Unngh…what the hell happened to me?” he groaned sitting up slowly. Kevin assisted him.

“Howie bored you into having a seizure,” A.J. teased. Brian playfully glared at Howie.

“Well nice going Howie,” Brian teased. Howie laughed knowing his friends were kidding with him.

The conversation continued for another thirty minutes before Brian yawned. “Why am I so sleepy?” he demanded, “I’ve done nothing but sleep the entire time I’ve been here!”

“The obvious reasons aside…When you have a seizure,” Nick replied, “you tend to sleep for up to 23 hours after that.”

Four sets of eyes stared blankly back at him. “I’m not so sure I want to know how you found that out…” Kevin said rubbing his temples in stress.

“Isn’t 23 hours a little extreme?” A.J. asked.

“Shhh…Brian’s asleep!” Howie hissed. Nick glanced over to Brian and found Howie was right. Brian was out like a light. He stood up and stretched.

“I think we should all do the same,” he said exhaustedly. His friends glanced worriedly at Nick as he stumbled to his cot.

“Nick are you alright?” A.J. finally asked.

“Yeah…jusss’ tireed…” Nick slurred as he slumped down.

“Nick…” Kevin said slowly and gently.

“I think I need to liee down.” Nick said holding his forehead. He finally lay his head on his cot and closed his eyes.

“What’s wrong with him?” A.J. asked worriedly.

“I think he’s just overly exhausted and that cut can’t really help any.” Kevin replied.

Howie chuckled softly. “What?” A.J. asked Howie.

“I was just thinking--shut it A.J--,” Howie began then snapped as he saw A.J. open his mouth at the comment about thinking. A.J. shut his mouth and Howie continued. “The same guy who dressed Kevin up like an ice cream sundae is the one keeping us alive right now…” Howie replied.

“Were you laughing about the irony or the Sundae?” Kevin demanded feigning a hurt voice.

“Both are quite funny…but the sundae is better.” A.J. replied for Howie. Kevin shot him a dangerous look. “But it really is a big stretch…” A.J. continued.

“Yeah…to think the most ‘immature’ of us is actually the most mature and knowledgeable of the world…” Kevin said looking at Nick’s still form.

“Looking at him sleeping like that…you wouldn’t even know it…” Howie said.

“Yeah.” A.J. and Kevin agreed before walking to their own cots and laying down.

A.J. suddenly giggled again causing Howie to laugh as well. “A.J.!” Kevin snapped, “the sundae was not that funny!” Howie and A.J. laughed again.

On his cot, Nick’s lips curved into a smile. He wasn’t asleep and had heard everything. He felt a sudden surge of love for his brothers. They really did care about him…and really respected him as an adult. This gave him new courage to fight for them.

This in mind, he closed his eyes and drifted off for a small nap.


The next time the boys were awake, they all gathered around Brian’s cot. A.J. was reminding them of some embarrassing story about when they were first starting out. It was the story of how Brian was hitting on his now girlfriend Leighanne, and Nick approached the pair and embarrassed him.

“Re-Remember how Nick walked up to them and asked Leigh, “Come now, don’t you think you’re a bit too good for him. After all, you’re clearly talented, beautiful and charming. Brian? He’s young, immature and lieks to play video games. What could someone as sophisticated as you do with someone like Brian? C’mon Bri, it’s not like it’s going to happen. You’re kidding yourself! Let’s go, I’m bored!”

“HAHAHA! Yes! I remember….oh man Brian! The look on your face was CLASSIC!” Kevin laughed.

“I am just glad that Leighanne thought it was funny…and thought Nick was cute…otherwise I would have killed him,” Brian replied shooting an annoyed look at Nick.

“Yeah well…everyone thinks that I’m so darn cute…it must be true!” Nick said striking a pose. A chorus of boos ran throughout the cell and A.J. reached forward shoving Nick over. Nick laughed as A.J. piled on top of him. Howls of cheerful laughter filled the room as the boys laughed heartily.

The laughter stopped when A.J. hit Nick’s cut. He yelped in pain and grabbed his side. “Oh shit! I’m so sorry Nicky!” A.J. mumbled. Nick forced a smile.

“It’s alright A.J.” he said in a forced laugh.

The door unlocked to their cell revealing Ace. Nick was instantly on his feet. “What do YOU want?” he demanded angrily.

“I’m here for you freak,” Ace said in a sing-song voice glowering at A.J. A.J. immediately narrowed his eyes and readied himself for a fight. Kevin stood close to his side.

Howie and Brian backed away, not wanting to be involved in the fight. Ace just stared at the three in front of him as Nick took a step forward. “Let’s go Nicky.” He challenged the younger blonde.

Pride got the best of Nick as he charged at Ace. Ace, strategically went for the one vulnerable spot on Nick’s body, his cut. “AIEEGHH!” Nick cried out before falling to the floor clutching his now open wound. He gasped in pain and tried not to pass out, writhing in pain.

“Nicky!” Kevin cried out and ran to the fallen blonde. A.J. followed. As A.J. neared, Kevin jumped up, anger flashing in his brilliant green eyes.

“ACE!” he growled. Ace grinned maliciously in return.

‘Good…this is all going as planned…’ he thought to himself. As Kevin came closer, Ace pulled something from his pocket. Nick had by now realized what Ace wanted to do.

“KEV! LOOK OUT!” he croaked as Kevin jumped to tackle Ace. Kevin never saw it coming and gave a jolt as he dropped to the ground unconscious. Ace stood over Kevin’s now unconscious body still holding the taser. Nick tried to climb to his feet but found he couldn’t.

“KEV!” A.J. cried in alarm getting up. Nick grabbed him by his sleeve as he noticed a shinning blade next to his unconscious brother in Ace’s arms. Ace cradled Kevin’s body in his grasp, holding a hunting knife to Kevin’s throat.

“Well well well A.J. ain’t this scene familiar?” Ace mocked. A.J. paled before turning away in shame. Nick lay motionless as Ace began dragging Kevin from the room.

“I will return in a hour with your mission,” Ace informed Nick before turning and leaving.

“Shit…” Nick moaned rolling over. A.J. still stared straight ahead as Howie and Brian jumped down next to Nick.

“…His wound is open!” Howie informed everyone.

“Oh God…look at all that blood!” Brian added then noticed Nick’s eyes rolling around. He took the younger blonde’s hand. “it’s okay Nicky…stay with me okay?” Nick forced a nod.

“A.J.! snap out of it and help me!” Howie ordered. His voice seemed to be drawing farther and farther away.

“Sorry,” A.J. replied, “Okay get me some…”

Darkness.
~*~*