- Text Size +
Trouble Chapter 12

When Kevin opened his eyes again, he found himself on the floor in a cell identical to the one he had been sharing with his band mates. For a moment, he thought the run in with Ace and the taser had all been a dream.

When Kevin sat up, and the ringing in his head returned full force with an accompanying throb in his neck, he realized that it had been a reality. ‘NICK!’ his mind screamed.

He once again glanced around his cell, reminding himself sternly that he was alone. Pain shot through his neck as he turned it fully to the right.

He felt around his neck for any broken skin around the area he was zapped and much to his relief found nothing. He did however hiss in pain as the area was very sensitive and sent waves of pain down his spine.

Kevin sat up slowly and chills ran down his spine as he looked around the cell. Alone in a place like he was in was enough to make him feel more than uncomfortable. Slowly, Kevin got to his feet closing his eyes tightly when a dizzy sensation came over him. When he opened his eyes again, he walked to a lone cot in the middle of the room and sat down on the edge of it.

There was nothing to do right now but wait. ‘But wait for what? What if Nick was killed? He was bleeding rather horribly…No sense in dwelling on it, he’s a strong kid…stronger than anyone he had ever known…I need some rest…’ Kevin thought in a jumble.

Deciding to agree with his mind that he might as well rest, Kevin sat on the cot and leaned against the wall bringing his knees to his chest. He closed his eyes and waited for Ace to come back and tell him what they wanted with him.


~*~*

Voices were all around him. The voices seemed familiar, but somehow distorted. He felt rather groggy and dizzy at the same time. “…lost a lot…blood…” a voice was saying seemingly from far away.

“…be alright?” another concerned voice questioned.

“Yes.” The first voice responded. Who were they? Where was he?

“Unghhh…” Had that come from him?

“Think he’s…waking…up…” A different voice said. He slowly opened his eyes, and saw blurry shapes of faces. He closed his eyes again and then opened them to see three faces looking down at him. He jumped, quite startled.

“You know…in most cases…that’s considered rude…” Nick mumbled sitting up. He winced and grabbed onto his side. He heard a chuckle coming from Howie, as he and the other two backed off.

“Well in most cases, you passing out for approximately 5 hours is considered rude too,” Brian quipped. Nick stared at him, ‘5 HOURS?!’ he thought frantically as his head spun, but he laughed instead.

“Point taken,” he said and grunted as he hauled himself to his feet. He swayed slightly and then fell back onto the cot. He put his palm to his forehead and groaned from dizziness.

“Easy There Nicky!” Howie cried alarmed.

“I’m fine,” Nick insisted, with a wince “I’m just dizzy that’s all.”

“Take it easy,” A.J. ordered grumbling. Nick nodded and slowly attempted to climb to his feet. This time he didn’t sway. Nick’s senses slowly returned to him as he ambled clumsily around the cell.

Nick suddenly looked down and noticed his shirt was gone. He saw it laying on a chair and went to pick it up, still gripping his side. “Well…looks like I don’t have a shirt anymore…” He said looking at his now tattered, bloody shirt. He noticed that nobody replied.

“What’s wrong?” he asked turning to them.

“We’re worried about Kev…” Brian said quietly, then as an afterthought, “and you.”

“Well I’m fine Bri…I was just a bit dizzy at first but I think I’ll be alright in a couple of minutes, and…Ace hasn’t returned while I was out has he?” Nick asked while chewing on his lip.

“No not at all,” Howie replied. Nick chewed on his lip nervously.

“I thought Ace said in an hour…” Nick said to himself.

“Maybe he was waiting for you to wake up?” Howie suggested. Nick nodded in return as his eyes lit up in realization. It was quite possible that was the case.

“That’s impossible! How would he know when Nick woke up?” Brian asked curiously.

“Cameras.” Nick replied pointing to different spots in the room while looking at his feet in thought. Brian stared at Nick wide-eyed.

“You don’t miss anything do you?” Brian asked.

“Nope,” Nick said limping around to look at one of the cameras. Nick took a deep breath and tested his side. It didn’t seem to hurt as much. Deciding he was alright he then took the next step to save Kevin… He approached a camera, and then jumped up and down waving his arms. “Hello! I’m awake now!” Nick yelled continuing jumping up and down.

A.J. almost fell off the cot he was sitting on in shock, Howie’s jaw dropped to the floor and Brian just chuckled. “It’s amazing that he can go from big hero boy to…that…” Brian said.

“Yeah Nick how old are you? 5?” A.J. joked. Nick turned around and glared playfully.

“*I* want to go play with Viper to save Kevvy,” he replied with a laugh before continuing seriously, ”…it makes me nervous that he’s been gone so long…” The boys stared at Nick and nodded, dropping their heads. Nick turned back to the cameras jumping up and down and waving again.

Ten minutes later, the door opened and Ace walked in. “Hold your horses Nicky boy…you’re so anxious!”

Nick smirked as the rest of his friends tensed. “What can I say? I’m slow to mature,” Nick said rolling his eyes. Ace approached Nick and tossed him a radio. Nick caught it. “What’s this?” Nick asked.

“A radio…Mr. Richardson is on the other end of it…your mission is to find him…” Ace answered.

“Catch?” Nick inquired.

“He’s buried underground…but he’s still conscious,” Ace replied with an evil grin. Nick’s eyes flashed with anger as he heard A.J., Brian, and even Howie shouting curses at Ace.

“Kevin doesn’t like enclosed spaces. He’ll be out of his mind…” Brian whispered to Nick. Nick nodded.

“Yeah I know…that’s why they did it,” Nick replied through clenched teeth.

“Well,” Ace said looking expectantly at Nick, “Get a move on! He’s only got 3…no 2 ½ hours of oxygen left! Then it’s bye bye bye.” Ace laughed as A.J., Howie, and Brian’s mouths fell open.

Nick meanwhile shook his head in exasperation. “That’s Nsync you idiot!” he snapped.

“Same difference!” Ace defended looking flusted.

“Yeah only not.”

“Oh, shut up and move,” Ace snapped irritably. Nick snickered as Ace turned towards the door. Nick started to follow but then turned and saw the anxious faces of his friends. Nick looked at the radio in his hands.

“Ya’ll want to talk to him?” Nick asked. Three anxious faces nodded frantically as Nick raised the radio to his lips. “Kev?”


~*~*

Kevin was pulled from his rest as he heard a clunk come from the doorway. Kevin cautiously stood up and waited for whoever it was outside the door to come inside. His heart started beating wildly as the door opened slowly. Ace walked in with two other guards. Viper’s men weren’t taking anymore chances with the boys. They were clearly stronger than they looked. “Hello Mr. Richardson,” Ace greeted.

“Hello Ace,” Kevin responded.

“You are a big part of Nick’s mission today,” Ace told Kevin.

“Like Howie was?” Kevin breathed.

“No…not quite…I don’t need to beat you up to get to you…I’ll just use fear…” Ace nodded to the other two guards with him who immediately approached Kevin with metal chains.

“Wh…what’s this?” Kevin asked nervously backing up into the wall.

“Now Mr. Richardson it really would be in your best interest to not resist…it will be less painful that way…” Ace laughed.

Kevin took a deep breath and held out his hands much to the surprise of Ace. “I trust that no matter what you do with me that Nick will be able to save me.” Kevin said honestly. Ace laughed loud and hard.

“Well now…ain’t that special? Really, how touching,” Ace sneered. Kevin said nothing else. “Chain him,” Ace ordered as the chains were put on Kevin’s wrists.

“Let’s go!” Another guard said dragging Kevin from the cell.

The hallway Kevin was dragged through lead to two large doors that when opened let in sunlight. Kevin immediately yelped and brought his chained hands up to shield his eyes as he winced.

“Sunlight is nice Mr. Richardson isn’t it?” a voice to his right asked. Kevin whirled around to see Viper standing there.

“Oh yeah,” Kevin snapped sarcastically anger consuming him, “especially when you’re bruised, bleeding, chained, and dehydrating.”

Viper set his jaw and struck Kevin in the face. Viper stared Kevin straight in the eye. “Shut it and let’s go,” he growled. “Oh and pay attention to where you’re going Mr. Richardson…it might come in handy later.”


The group made their way to a tree which had a hole beneath it. Inside the hole was a large coffin. It’s white interior was matted with pads and had hooks on the sides, that Kevin figured was for the chains.

Kevin swallowed at the sight. A coffin defiantly wasn’t a good sign. “A…are you going to kill me?” he asked barely above a whisper as all color drained from his face.

“No Mr. Richardson…I’m just going to bury you alive.” Ace answered nonchalant.

Kevin managed to gasp out as he looked wide eyed back into the coffin. “Yo…You want me to lay in there?” he asked.

“Yep, and now’s the time…” Viper motioned to the guards.

“Please don’t do this…” Kevin whimpered backing away straight into the arms of the guards who grabbed Kevin and shoved him down into the coffin. Kevin tried to get back out of the coffin as the guards forced him down into it and attached his chains to the hooks on the side of the coffin. Kevin could still move his body, just couldn’t get out of the coffin.

‘This is NOT good…’ Kevin thought frantically, ‘what if I suffocate? What if Nick can’t find me? What if-‘

“Here,” Viper chirped dragging Kevin from his thoughts, as he tossed a radio at Kevin, “I hope you paid real good attention, it’ll come in handy now…You have probably three hours of oxygen left…we’ll just see if your faith in Nick is well placed. Viper laughed as the lid to the coffin slammed shut.

Kevin clenched his eyes shut. ‘No no no… this is NOT happening…’ he thought frantically running his hands over his face. Not one coherent word ran through his mind except, ‘I’ve never been so scared in my life…’ Kevin began to sob. A half an hour passed of him freaking out before,

“Kev?” Kevin jumped. Great now he was hearing things. “KEV! PICK. UP. YOUR. RADIO.”

‘Radio?’ Kevin thought to himself in confusion before he remembered the black electronic box he was clutching. Kevin picked up his radio and pressed the button. “N…Nick?” he whimpered.

“KEV!” The voice sounded relieved. “Thank God …The *guys* are here and want to know if you’re alright?” Nick purposely said ‘the guys are here’ to let Kevin know that he had to reassure the others. Kevin complied.

“Yeah…I’m okay.” Kevin lied. Kevin heard some soft talking on the other end then the slam of what he guessed was the cell door.

“Kev?” the voice sounded more concerned and nervous.

“Y…Yeah…?” Kevin answered shakily.

“Are you alright?”

“Uhm…”

“It’s just me here Kev,” Nick assured him.

“Then….no I don’t think so Nick…I’ve never been more scared in my life,” Kevin sobbed.

“Alright Kevvy….shhh…Just tell me where to go, and I’ll come get you out of there,” Nick soothed.

“I…I don’t remember…” Kevin stammered beginning to panic.

“KEV…c’mon man…I REALLY need you to stay calm and keep your head…I can’t find you without your help,” Nick ordered in a firm but gentle voice.

“O…okay Nick you’re right…okay.” Kevin said taking a deep breath.

“We’ve got less than two hours Kev…okay?”

“Uh huh.”

“Now I’m where you started…Where do I go?” Nick asked.

“Up the mountainside…halfway.” Kevin replied.

“Okay I’m on my way….after that?”

“Veer to the left,” Kevin continued. Nick continued to follow Kevin’s directions. He walked for a good while and checked his watch. Around an hour and a half had passed.

“Now what?” Nick asked.

“Walk…for…awhile…to trees…” Kevin said tiredly.

“Kev…you gotta stay awake bud…I can’t do this without you!”

“Kay…I’m awake.” Nick felt uneasy and waited only a minute before asking,

“Now?” Nick hadn’t made it to the trees yet, but he wanted the rest of the directions in case Kevin didn’t stay awake.

“Through trees into clearing…there…” he yawned here and mumbled something incoherent which Nick only heard “oak tree”. Nick frowned and continued on his way walking quickly.

“Okay Kev…I’m out of the trees,” Nick said coming to the clearing. “Now what was the next part?” There was silence. “Kev?” Nick tried again feeling his blood run cold. “KEV…” Nick said more insistently. “KEV!” He finally screamed into the radio. “KEV ANSWER ME DAMMIT!” There was no answer.

Nick looked frantically around. “Okay…Okay…he said that uhm…that there was a uhm…tree…yes…so uhm…where is it?” Nick frantically looked around until his eyes came to rest on “AN OAK TREE!” Nick exclaimed and took off towards the tree. He saw fresh dirt and his heart soared.

“Hang on Kev…” Nick said into the radio, “I’m almost there.”

Kev was barely clinging to life inside the coffin as Nick’s voice flooded inside. His eyes were closed and his breathing slowly began to still….