- Text Size +
TROUBLE CHAPTER 17

Nick took a deep breath, blinked his eyes closed for a moment then Nick looked into the room again. The same nauseating sight met his eyes. He took a sharp breath which alerted the guards holding him to hold on tighter.

Ace was roughing up Aaron just as Nick had seen in the video. If at all possible, seeing it up close was ten times worse than the video. As Ace knocked Aaron to the ground, Nick struggled more and opened his mouth to call out for his brother.

One of the guards realized his intention and hit Nick straight in the mouth to silence Nick’s cry. Nick grunted and closed his mouth feeling blood begin to seep into it. “Keep quiet,” the guard hissed, “or your brother will be worse for wear.” Nick nodded fearfully and kept his mouth shut.

Aaron lay still on the ground panting heavily. One of his arms was wrapped around his midsection as he painfully tried to pull air into his abused body. His eyes were clenched shut and he had no idea that Nick was standing right there. Maybe if he’d known, Aaron wouldn’t have been as scared or felt so alone.

Ace laughed cruelly again and bent down to Aaron, pulling the boys’ head up to his face by his blonde hair. “Come now Nick Jr., this is getting old and really is quire unnecessary. You can still change your mind. You still have a choice.”

‘Choice? What is he talking about?’ Nick thought furrowing his brow in confusion.

Aaron gritted his teeth in pain, lifted his head and sneered at Ace. “I’ve given you my answer Ace,”
Aaron replied coldly with a strange look of defiance, hopelessness, and pain.

“Reconsider,” Ace suggested dangerously as he pulled Aaron from the ground by his shirt. Aaron looked up into Ace’s face, snarled and spit in Ace’s face. Nick stifled a laugh and silently rejoiced. That was definitely his little brother. Ace roared in anger and slapped Aaron roughly. Aaron cried out in pain before falling to the ground and curling into a ball gasping for breath.

Ace kicked Aaron repeatedly, but stopped for a moment and asked again. “What’ll it be Aaron?”

“I would rather die than betray my brother and his friends,” Aaron managed to croak out.

“So be it,” Ace snarled and kicked him in the head. Aaron barely moaned in pain before he blacked out.

Ace continued to beat Aaron until a voice cried out, “ACE STOP!” Ace stopped mid kick and turned towards the voice. It was Nick.

“Nicky boy! I was just making a proposition to your brother here,” Ace commented nudging the young boy’s unconscious body with the toe of his boot.

“And he refused so leave him alone,” Nick snarled struggling against the guards who held tighter.

Ace pretended to think about it, “No!” Ace laughed and kicked Aaron in the ribs causing Aaron’s eyes to shoot open and for him to scream in pain. He rolled over onto his side as Ace advanced on him again. “Sorry about that Nick Jr. I forgot how tender cracked ribs can be!” Ace laughed.

Aaron moaned in pain as Ace pulled back his foot to kick him again. “Noooo,” he moaned weakly cringing.

Nick growled and let out a cry of rage. He struggled against the guards that held him furiously now, and they lost their grip. Nick knocked them to the ground. Nick looked up and saw that Ace had kicked Aaron again and that tears were streaming out of the young boy’s eyes.

As Ace went to kick him again, Nick took off running. He pounced from far back and knocked into Ace with his shoulder causing Ace to fall to the ground. Ace soared across the room and landed on his back with a dull thud. He got up to attack Nick but settled for mumbling threats under his breath as Viper shook his head with a large grin gracing his face.

Nick did not witness this exchange as he was too preoccupied with his little brother’s body lying on the floor barely breathing. At first Nick didn’t move, afraid to stoop down and touch his baby brother lest he break his fragile body with his touch. Aaron whimpered in pain, and Nick’s worry overcame his fear. He leaned down to his baby brother. Gently, Nick touched his brother’s blonde hair. Aaron flinched and whimpered again.

“Aaron?” Nick whispered. There was no response. No moan, not another whimper, no movement…just deafening silence. Nick gulped and took a shuddered breath before turning his brother onto his back. Nick gasped as he saw his brother’s battered body up close.

Aaron’s forehead had a long gash and cut on it while his right cheek was bruised black and swollen. A small cut started from his left brow and ended just past his cheek bone. His closed eyes looked tired with the dark bags underneath them.

Aaron’s shirt had been removed to reveal large dark bruises and cuts on his bare chest and arms. The darkest area was around his ribs. Nick swallowed down the bile he felt creeping up his throat, and reached out to gently touch the bruised area around his ribs. Aaron snapped open his eyes, yelped and moved away from Nick whimpering quietly. “No more…no more please,” Aaron begged softly. Nick winced and leaned over Aaron.

“Shhh shhh shhh,” Nick cooed petting Aarons head, “sorry A.C. I didn’t meant to hurt you I just wanted to check your ribs.”

Aaron made no reply, just gulped in air still breathing hard, and groped for Nick’s hand. Nick smiled softly and squeezed Aaron’s hand continuing to pet Aaron’s head. Aaron moaned then fell still. Nick sighed in relief as Aaron’s body relaxed, finally free from pain.

“There ya go Nicky! Something to remind you of home,” Viper laughed.

“You are going to pay for this you bastard! Just you wait…” Nick screamed. Viper frowned.

“Watch it Nicky, you may return to your cell now.”

Nick stood and glared at Viper as one of the guards moved to lift Aaron. Aaron sensed the different, uncomfortable presence, and flinched away whimpering in his unconscious state..

As the guard leaned towards Aaron, Nick shoved him away roughly. “I’LL carry him thank you,“ Nick growled glaring hard at the guard. The guard immediately backed off and Nick leaned over and gently picked up Aaron.

Aaron shifted in his sleep, snuggling closer to Nick’s comforting warmth. Nick smiled at his brother as Aaron breathed in a content sigh and lay still. Nick cradled Aaron carefully then followed the guard.

Nick walked down the hall studying Aaron’s battered form. ‘How could I have let Viper get Aaron involved?’ he thought berating himself. ‘Maybe I can make a deal with Viper for Aaron…I’ll willingly submit if it means Aaron can go…’

“Nick?” Unknown to Nick, Aaron’s swollen eyes had slid open slowly. Nick started and looked down at Aaron. He forced a smile for his younger brother.

“Hey little bro…how are you feeling?” Nick asked in concern forcing a stronger smile.

Aaron swallowed slowly, licking his dry bruised lips. Aaron mumbled something that distinctly sounded like “Crap”. Nick chuckled.

“Such language young man! What would Momma say?” Nick chided, then more seriously asked, “Do you think you have any life threatening conditions?” Nick asked.

Aaron shrugged. “Not…a doctor,” he answered. Nick rolled his eyes.

“You’re such a smart ass,” Nick said with a grin, “where on Earth do you get it?” Aaron managed a weak grin and half chuckle. The chuckle however caused him immense amounts of pain and turned into a choke as Aaron took a sharp breath. Nick winced. He readjusted Aaron so Aaron would be more comfortable. Aaron whimpered again.

‘Ace really did a number on him…’ Nick thought to himself and held his baby brother closer. “Close your eyes Aaron,” Nick crooned rocking him gently as they walked, “you’ll feel better if you do.”

Aaron felt like Nick was patronizing him. “I’m…okay.” He croaked.

Nick smiled. “Sleep,” he ordered.

“Yes Mother.” Aaron mumbled with his eyes closed.

“Brat.” Nick laughed

“…Learned…from…you…” Aaron then drifted off as Nick carried him in his arms.

Nick smiled fondly at his little brother then swallowed the lump in his throat. “I’m sorry Aaron,” he whispered holding him closer. He didn’t expect an answer, and he didn’t get one. Nick walked the rest of the way to the cell he shared with his band mates always being mindful of Aaron’s battered body so as not to harm him. When the guard opened the door, Nick took a deep breath, then walked into the cell with his brother in his arms.