- Text Size +
TROUBLE CHAPTER 18

As the boys waited for Nick to return, time seemed to pass like a snail. They mostly fidgeted, especially since Howie and Brian were on strictly enforced bed rest. All of the guys would add to some idle chatter from time to time, but no conversation lasted long at all.

Finally, after what seemed like several nervous years, the door clanged open, causing Kevin and A.J. to jump up in alarm, and the other two to start suddenly. Kevin and A.J. stood defensively in front of the cots as they watched Nick walk through the door with a small form. As A.J. and Kevin recognized Nick, they sagged noticeably, not taking note of the body Nick was carrying.

“Nick,” Kevin breathed in greeting, more for his own assurance than to greet him. Nick said not a word, nor did he acknowledge any of their presences. He merely walked past the boys, his head down guiltily, and approached one of the remaining cots. Nick gently laid the small form down on the cot.

“Dear God,” Brian murmured paling at the sight of Nick’s burden, “Aaron?” Nick finally nodded silently.

Aaron moaned in pain as Nick settled the small boy onto the cot. Nick hurriedly sat down on the cot next to Aaron and took his hand as it groped blindly for him. Nick murmured softly to soothe Aaron, and squeezed his hand as the boy fell back to sleep.

Kevin sighed to himself knowing what was running through Nick’s mind. “Nick,” he began.

“Save it Kevin,” Nick whispered in misery. Kevin fell silent and sighed again.

Brian approached Aaron’s cot and sat down heavily next to Nick, slowly stroking Aaron’s bangs back out of the boy’s battered face. Aaron stirred and opened his eyes. “Nick?” he croaked in fear, his widened eyes glazed slightly from pain. Nick squeezed the hand he still held.

“I’m not going anywhere Aaron I promise,” Nick reassured the boy. Aaron swallowed slowly and looked up to where Brian was sitting.

“Bri…an?” Aaron breathed

“Hey A.C….” Brian whispered, smiling lovingly at the blonde boy, still stroking his head. Aaron managed a weak smile and turned back to Nick.

“W…here’s…Kevin?” Aaron inquired weakly.

“Right here kiddo,” Kevin replied coming into the boy’s view smiling at him. Aaron smiled back.

“Aje?” Aaron asked again.

“Present!” A.J. joked then seriously asked, “Are you alright?”

Aaron grinned weakly with a slight shrug. “I’m not dead yet,” he replied weakly.

“Uhm…there will be no yet on the end of that sentence young man,” Nick berated Aaron gently. Aaron smiled, but the smile quickly faded as he hesitated in asking about the last of his friends.

“Ho…wie?” he asked, his heart beating a million miles per hour.

“I’m here Aaron,” Howie replied waving from his spot on his cot where he was watching the whole scene.

“See? We’re all here and accounted for Aaron, nothing for you to worry about,” Nick reassured his brother.

Aaron seemed to sag in relief, then swallowed slowly and closed his eyes, quickly snapping them open when he felt himself begin to doze off. Aaron nodded in agreement and his eyes closed again, only to have them snap back open.

Nick smiled at him to reassure him further. “Go to sleep Aaron, we’ll still be here when you wake up,” he said giving Aaron’s hand a tight squeeze. Aaron tried to fight sleep but finally allowed his body to succumb to unconsciousness.

Once Nick was sure Aaron was asleep, he dropped the boy’s hand and stood up. He walked to the far end of the cell, and faced the wall. There was an intense uncomfortable silence in the room as Nick began to shake in rage. The tension in the air caused even Kevin to shift uncomfortably. The silence was broken by a loud bang that echoed throughout the cell. “DAMMIT!” Nick growled, “This is all my fault…”

Brian sighed and hauled himself to a standing position again. He walked over toward where Nick was. Brian gently took the hand that Nick had just connected with the brick wall of the cell in his hands inspecting it carefully, before dragging Nick over to the sink to rinse his bleeding knuckles. Brian and Nick said nothing, but in that silence, in the simple random eye contacts and small smiles and doubtful expressions, Nick and Brian came to an understanding and it was when Brian had finished bandaging Nick’s knuckles with part of his own shirt that Nick smiled softly. “I’ll keep that in mind Brian…thanks.”

“Anytime Frack,” Brian replied with a smile before returning to his cot.

Kevin, A.J., and Howie all stared open mouthed as they watched the exchange. “But…he…” A.J. mumbled.

“Don’t try Alex, just quit while you’re behind,” Howie laughed. Kevin joined him.

Everyone became silent again as Aaron stirred. Nick was by his side again. Aaron’s eyes opened slowly and he seemed to glance around nervously. “Aaron,” Nick said gently. Aaron jumped then looked at Nick wide eyed. “It’s okay Aaron, everyone’s still here, and you’re safe now.” Aaron’s eyes were nto as wide and he sank further against the cot.

“Sorry,” he muttered sitting up slowly.

“Don’t be,” Nick replied helping his brother sit up slowly. Aaron winced before glancing around at the rest of the guys in the room. All of their eyes were trained on him in apprehension

“Uh…hi…” he greeted almost shyly. They all smiled at him.

“How are you feeling?” Kevin asked him gently.

“Better,” Aaron replied nodding slowly.

“You definitely look better than when you first came in here,” Kevin agreed. Aaron looked him up and down.

“Well you’re looking just gorgeous yourself…what happened to you guys anyways?” Aaron asked.

“Well…” A.J. trailed off. The boys told their tale leaving Aaron wide eyed in the end, and causing the boy’s jaw to drop throughout the story.

“Wow…” Aaron muttered.

“Yeah…I guess that about sums it up,” A.J. agreed with a laugh.

“What about you A.C.?” Howie asked. Aaron paled a bit.

“I don’t want to talk about it…” Aaron muttered uncomfortably.

“C’mon Aaron we’ll be right here with you the entire time and it will definitely help you to talk about it,” Nick urged.

Aaron sighed. “Fine,” he replied then took a deep breath, licked his bruised lips, and began his tale.