- Text Size +
TROUBLE CHAPTER 21

“Get Up.”

Aaron’s eyes twitched under his closed eyelids as he was still hazy from sleep. He moaned and his body moved slightly, but he did not wake. “I said get up,” The voice insisted.

Aaron opened his eyes slowly. “H…huh?” he asked in confusion. Ace’s face stared back at him as his eyes opened fully.

“Get up, you’ve had 10 hours to sleep,” Ace ordered backing away a bit.

Aaron groaned and sat up slowly. He glared at Ace. “Why should I get up?” he growled.

“Because, I said so, and if you don’t, I will-“

“’Hurt my brother and his friends’? Well me getting up and doing what you ask doesn’t help! You still hurt Howie though I did exactly as you asked. If I do what you say, someone gets hurt, if I don’t, someone gets hurt. So I say,” Aaron growled the next statement with an arrogant smirk, “’Fuck off’ I’m not doing what you say anymore.”

Aaron reeled back as the back of Ace’s hand connected hard with his already bruised face. Aaron righted himself and glared at Ace, but made no move to comply with Ace’s orders. Ace began to get impatient. “Once more,” he growled, “get up.”

“No,” Aaron answered defiantly.

“Fine then I’ll just take you myself!” Ace yelled and picked Aaron up and tossed the boy over his shoulder. Aaron struggled wildly as Ace continued to walk down a hallway. “Stop struggling boy!” Ace growled, “You’ll go one way or another; just make it easier on yourself!”

Aaron growled but stopped kicking. The two walked into a room occupied by Viper who smiled at Aaron as Ace carried him in. “Awww is junior cranky from his little nap?” Viper cooed.

Aaron just stared at him before growling back an answer and turning his head away from Viper. “Oooo feisty today!” Viper laughed, “Ace go prepare for Aaron’s mission. We will be along in a moment.”

Ace bowed and left. Aaron simply followed Viper around the room with his eyes, his mouth set in a firm line and a glare on his face. “It’s time for another mission,” Viper informed him.

“I figured that one out on my own,” Aaron snapped.

“Today’s mission is physical,” Viper continued pretending he hadn’t heard Aaron, “you will have to use strength and your mind to win this one though.” Viper motioned for Aaron to follow him out of the door. Aaron obeyed.

Viper lead him into a room that held a change of clothes for him. Aaron stared puzzled at the heap of clothes. “What are these for?” he asked.

“Change. Your clothes are all torn,” Viper replied.

“Er…thanks…” Aaron mumbled pulling his shirt over his head with a wince. He pulled the clean navy blue shirt over his head, and changed into the clean pants.

“Ready?” Viper asked.

Aaron rolled his eyes. Like he’d ever be truly ready for this. “I guess so,” Aaron replied.

Viper waved him through a door and Aaron followed. Inside the room was a larger room with what looked like practice mats. Aaron gulped and turned to Viper. “What do I need to do?” he asked.

“Well this is a mission where you fight for the survival of the eldest Backstreet Boy…Sorry he has a name, doesn’t he…Kevin is it?”

Aaron swallowed. Kevin was like a father/brother figure to him. He couldn’t let him get hurt. “Y-yes, Master,” Aaron responded, “what do I have to do?”

“That’s the better!” Viper cheered. Aaron stared icily at him as Viper continued. “It’s a fight for survival right? Now you just have to last a certain amount of time in the ring with-“

“Me.” Aaron turned to see Ace standing in the doorway. His shirt was off revealing large, bulging muscles, and scars on his body. Aaron gulped, wide eyed.

“How long?” Aaron gasped.

“Five minutes per round,” Viper answered.

“How many rounds?”

“Today? Only two…But you don’t have to compete you know. You could save yourself,” Viper hinted.

“If you’re suggesting what you were suggesting earlier then drop dead,” Aaron snarled adding a sarcastic “Master” to the end of his statement.

“We’ll see if we can’t change your mind Aaron,” Viper sneered and then shoved Aaron forward, “you may begin whenever you want Ace.”

Ace cracked his knuckles and launched himself at Aaron who sidestepped quickly with a yelp. Aaron swallowed and stared at Ace in terror. ‘I don’t know the first thing about fighting…I’ve always been taught that it’s wrong…what do I do?’

Aaron was caught off guard as Ace launched himself at him. Aaron yelped as Ace tackled him. Aaron growled and stood again as Ace backed off. As Aaron stood, Ace delivered a strong kick to his chest causing Aaron to fall onto his back. Aaron rolled over onto his stomach and attempted to stand. Ace lashed out and kicked him in the chest. Aaron yelped and rolled over onto his side. Ace kicked him in the back. “Get up,” Ace ordered as he did earlier.

‘De Ja vu,’ Aaron thought to himself forcing himself to his knees. He was pushed onto his back and Ace descended on him raining blow after blow onto his face and body. Finally he stopped and stood. “Get up,” Ace ordered again.

Aaron stared at Ace coldly before forcing himself to stand. He launched his smaller body at Ace who backhanded Aaron roughly across the face. Aaron fell to the ground, a large gash across his forehead bleeding down his forehead. ‘Ow…smooth Aaron,’ he thought to himself.

Ace didn’t wait for him to get up. He kicked him in the head and the legs. Aaron rolled over onto his other side away from Ace. Ace smirked and jumped over him. He swung his leg back and connected as hard as he could with Aaron’s midsection. There was a sharp crack and Aaron screamed before he blacked out completely.

When Aaron came to, he felt a horrible ache in his head. He groaned and rolled over, only to scream out in pain. ‘Damn,’ he thought to himself, ‘I forgot about my ribs.’

Aaron lay still for a moment as Ace walked in. “Ahhh you’re up. Time for another round…you passed out four minutes into it.” Aaron gulped and attempted to sit up, only to fall back onto his back with a cry. “Awww do your ribs hurt?”

“Shut up,” Aaron hissed finally forcing himself to his feet. Ace just laughed and waited until Aaron launched himself at him again. Ace knocked him down and began to rain blows all over his body. Aaron was in pure agony as he attempted to curl into a fetal position. Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, Ace stopped. Aaron lay still on the ground panting heavily, his eyes shut tight in pain. .

Ace laughed cruelly again and bent down to Aaron. “Well well Nick Jr. You can still change your mind. You still have a choice.”

Aaron groaned in pain and rolled over. ‘God I can’t take much more of this,’ he thought. Ace’s comment rattled him and Aaron gritted his teeth in pain, lifted his head and sneered at Ace. “I’ve given you my answer Ace,” Aaron croaked with a strange look of defiance, hopelessness, and pain in his eyes. ‘I can’t betray my friends,’ he told himself firmly laying his head back down wearily.

“Reconsider,” Ace suggested dangerously as he pulled Aaron from the ground by his shirt. Aaron looked up into Ace’s face, snarled and spit in his face. Ace roared in anger and slapped Aaron roughly. Aaron cried out in pain before falling and curling into a ball gasping for breath.

Ace kicked Aaron repeatedly, but stopped for a moment and asked again. “What’ll it be Aaron?”

“I would rather die than betray my brother and my friends,” Aaron managed to croak out.

“So be it,” Ace snarled and kicked him in the head. Aaron barely moaned in pain before he blacked out.

‘Wake up!’ his mind ordered.

‘But I’m so tired,’ Aaron replied.

‘You can’t let your brother or his friends down. They are in danger! You can sleep later!’

‘You’re right I’ll ge-‘

“AAAAAAARRRRRGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!” Aaron eyes shot open and he screamed as he felt pain shoot through his ribs. ‘Fuck.’ He thought moaning in pain.

Ace’s laugh caused Aaron to cringe as he approached the smaller boy again. “Sorry about that Nick Jr. I forgot how tender broken ribs can be!” Ace laughed.

Aaron bit back a retort and moaned in pain as Ace brought back his foot to kick him again. There was nothing Aaron could do but tense up and take it. “Noooo,” he moaned weakly cringing. Aaron heard a cry from far away but ignored it when Ace’s foot connected with his side again. Aaron yelped and curled up in a ball. ‘Please, God, make it stop,’ he prayed suddenly. Tears were streaming out of his eyes in hopelessness.

Suddenly, the assault stopped. Aaron was relieved but whimpered as a wave of pain went through his senses. He felt someone brush the bangs from his forehead. ‘Wait…this touch is gentle…it feels very familiar too…who is it?’

“-ron?” a voice murmured quietly. Aaron knew he should respond but he was so tired and found he couldn’t. He felt himself being rolled onto his back and just let it happen. ‘This person doesn’t want to hurt me,’ he thought to himself. Aaron had just begun to relax when a sudden pain shot through his abused body.

“AH!” Aaron yelped as the person pressed down on his injured ribs. ‘Maybe I was wrong,’ he thought frantically attempting to move away from the person and whimpering. “No more…” he moaned, “please no more…please…” Aaron felt the person leaning over him


“Shhh shhh shhh,” the voice cooed petting Aarons head, “sorry A.C. I didn’t meant to hurt you I just wanted to check your ribs.”

‘NICK!’ his mind screamed in utter relief. ‘Everything is alright now. Nick won’t let anything bad happen to me.’ He thought. Aaron said nothing but reached out for his brother. ‘Is he real though?’ he asked himself. He felt his brother’s hand take his and squeeze, while Nick’s other hand pet his forehead soothingly. ‘Alright,’ his mind told him, ‘you can sleep now.’ Aaron groaned. ‘Thank you.’ He replied falling asleep. ‘WAIT! There’s one thing I should take care of first,’ Aaron insisted forcing himself awake.

Aaron was cradled in his brother’s arms and he looked up into Nick’s face. Nick looked like he was feeling guilty and was really worried at the same time. ‘Poor Nick, he probably feels totally responsible.’ Aaron thought. “Nick?” he whispered. Nick looked startled and then looked down at him forcing a smile.

“Hey little bro. how are you feeling?” he asked concernedly.

Aaron wasn’t up to talking in real long sentences but he still wanted to reassure his brother. Aaron swallowed slowly, licking his dry bruised lips and mumbled, “Crap”. Nick chuckled.

“Such language young man! What would Momma say?” Nick chided, then more seriously asked, “Do you think you have any life threatening conditions?”

Aaron shrugged. He didn’t’ want to answer these questions right now. All Aaron’s body craved at this moment was sleep, and though he was fatigued beyond belief, Aaron couldn’t resist being snippy “Not…a Doctor,” he answered. Nick rolled his eyes.

“You’re such a smart ass,” Nick said with a grin, “where on Earth do you get it?”. Aaron managed a weak grin and half chuckle. The chuckle however caused him immense amounts of pain and Aaron took a sharp breath whimpering loudly.

‘Ok, laughing is out…righto,’ he informed himself. He felt Nick wince. Nick readjusted Aaron so he would be more comfortable. Aaron whimpered again.

“Close your eyes Aaron,” Nick cooed rocking him gently as they walked, “you’ll feel better if you do.”

Aaron felt like Nick was patronizing him, and he frowned at Nick. “I’m…okay.” He croaked.

“Sleep.” Nick ordered.

“Yes Mother.” Aaron mumbled with his eyes closed. Had they been open he probably would have rolled them.

“Brat.” Nick laughed

“…Learned…from…you…” Aaron then drifted off as Nick carried him in his arms.


~*~*~

“The end,” Aaron finished with his head down. He lifted his head to see Nick and the others pale faced and frowning. Aaron licked his lips and swallowed.

For a moment, none of the boys could find their voices to speak. When the silence was finally broken, it was Howie who spoke. “Aaron,” Howie whispered getting the boy’s attention.

Aaron met Howie’s eyes with difficulty. “Yes?”

“One, that situation with you and me was not your fault okay? I believe Nick will back up the assumption that had you succeeded I still would have been beaten to a pulp, as it was for Nick’s mission anyways,” Howie spoke fiercely and paused here to wait for Nick’s affirming nod then continued, “and that my beating and your ‘mission’ were for the sole purpose of trying to break you, which in turn they hoped would break Nick.”

Nick gave another affirming nod, this time an angry one, and clenched his fists in anger, his eyes closing. “That bastard,” he growled furiously, “Aaron, you listen to me NOW.” Aaron looked at Nick with Wide eyes and nodded. “You NEVER will call Viper ‘Master’ or anything of the sort, understand? He does not own you, you are your own person,” Nick’s tone was so poisonous that Aaron flinched. Nick then softened his voice pressing his forehead to his little brother’s, “but thank you for subjecting yourself to that low in order to save Howie….I owe you bro.”

Aaron managed a weak smile. “He would have done the same for me,” Aaron murmured embarrassedly looking over to Howie who smiled at the boy before continuing his conversation moments before.

“Also Aaron, you need to know that they never came back to me again. You sacrificed yourself not in vain. I would be a lot worse off if you hadn’t,” Howie whispered around the lump in his throat.

Aaron’s jaw dropped. “You mean, they didn’t beat you for another-“

“No,” Howie cut Aaron off firmly.

“Thank God,” Aaron whispered beginning to cry in a moment of relief and terror. Silence reigned again as the boys didn’t know what to say until Nick leaned forward suddenly and wrapped his arms around Aaron. “I’m so sorry,” Nick choked, “you shouldn’t be involved bro.” Nick hugged Aaron tightly. He was hurting Aaron, but at that moment, Aaron was just glad to be surrounded by friends. Nick turned to the others, tears streaming down his face. “None of you should be involved,” he cried.

“Nick please don’t feel guilty this ain’t your fault,” Aaron begged trying not to cry anymore.

“He’s right Nick. Don’t’ do this again. You wouldn’t let me earlier,” A.J. commented.

Nick said nothing, just hugged Aaron to him rocking back and forth slowly until he felt Aaron go limp. He laid Aaron down and sat on the floor next to the cot. ‘I’ll be here for you Aaron, nobody’s gonna hurt you now.’ He thought stroking his brother’s hair from his face.

“Nick…” Kevin’s voice came from behind him, “remember what Aaron said was true.”

“I know, I’ll try,” Nick whispered resting his head on the cot. He fell asleep shortly after, and one by one, the boys all fell asleep huddled around Aaron’s bed. Aaron smiled in his sleep finally feeling safe for the first time in quite a few days.