- Text Size +
TROUBLE CHAPTER 23

Ace grumbled anxiously as he stalked down the hallway towards Viper’s office. ‘Viper is certainly not going to be happy that Aaron’s not with me,’ Ace thought with a deep frown. He heaved a great sigh as Viper’s large double doors loomed in front of him. Ace knocked twice.

“ENTER,” Viper’s voice boomed from inside.

Ace pushed open the door with a loud thud. Viper looked up from whatever he was working on sitting at his desk and grinned at his second in command. “Ah Ace! Glad to see that didn’t take long! So where is young Mr. Carter?”

Ace shifted nervously from foot to foot. “Well Master,…uhm…well…he’s not…” Ace stammered.

“Spit it out Ace! I haven’t got all day!” Viper snapped.

Ace nodded in apology then continued, “I couldn’t exactly…well that is to say…I…he isn’t exactly here at this moment in time.”

Viper’s eyes narrowed dangerously. “Oh? Where is he then?” Viper demanded.

“Still with his brother Viper,” Ace answered, “I am sorry, I thought I could sneak Aaron out while his brother was sleeping…I was wrong.”

“What happened?” Viper asked frowning darkly.

“Well I entered the cell to find Aaron just about to lie down on the cot next to his brother. I motioned for him to stand and not wake his brother by training the gun on Nick. Aaron did as I asked and began to walk towards me…but he was either too weak or too scared to walk fast enough to my liking, so I grabbed him by the arm, and he cried out for his brother….his brother jumped in and even when I put the gun to Aaron’s head, Nick wouldn’t let me take him,” Ace explained.

“So then Nick is preoccupied by his brother.” Viper stated.

“Yes sir, very much so,” Ace answered.

“And the others…are they preoccupied with the young one’s safety as well?”
“Yes sir, almost as much as Nick is,” Ace replied.

“Well then we will have to use this knowledge to our advantage,” Viper smirked.

“Sir?”

“Just listen Ace.”

~*~*~

Aaron slept on as Kevin, A.J., Howie, Brian, and Nick talked quietly next to his cot. Their conversation had turned to what they thought they would do with themselves if they ever got out of the cell. The conversation irked Nick a bit as he began to fear that the boys were losing hope of ever getting out of there. Even Brian, who had more faith than anyone else he knew seemed to be giving up.

“…spend more time with my mom,” A.J. was saying smiling at the thought of his mother, “after all, she’s all I have left besides you guys, and she’s all I’ll ever need…until the next Mrs. McClean comes along anyways.” A.J. flashed a grin as he finished.

“If I get out of here, I will devote more time to my family, and devote more time and money to charities …and I will never take time for granted again that’s for sure,” Howie said after thinking a moment.

Kevin smiled. “I think I’ll devote more time to family, friends, and I’ll put in lots of funds for more after school programs to keep kids out of trouble…and off the streets,” Kevin said pointedly looking at Nick who rolled his eyes, “and…more time with Kristin of course…I believe that the time has come for me to ask her a certain popular question…”

Brian looked up suddenly from where he was resting. “You mean?” he gasped looking really excited suddenly.

Kevin grinned and his eyes sparkled. “Yep! I’m ready to ask Kristin to marry me. Howie’s right, time is not something I can just throw away anymore.”

“Kevin, if we get out of here, I’m gonna throw you the BEST bachelor party ever!” A.J. cheered.

“WHEN we get out of here,” Brian corrected firmly.

Nick smiled. ‘So Brian still has faith in me…’

“Of course! That’s what I meant naturally!” A.J. replied quickly.

Brian smiled. “I’m ready to settle into focusing on Leighanne …I want to spend more time with my family, and you guys too…but my biggest devotion will be to God.”

“ME TOO!” Kevin and Howie agreed at the same time.

“What about you Nick?” Brian asked.

Nick forced a smile before snorting and shaking his head. “Truthfully, I don’t know guys. Part of me wants to dedicate myself to the things you were discussing…you know charities, friends…family,” Nick replied smiling at his younger brother who shifted in his sleep, “but, another part of me wants to ‘fall off the face of the planet’…you know…disappear?”

Nick’s friends stared at him in dumbstruck horror. “Nick!” Kevin gasped finally.

“Why Nick?” Howie asked in horror.

“well if I did then none of you would be in danger because of me ever again…these people have been after me the entire time…you had nothing to do with it…if I disappeared, you would be left alone now…that’s why I want to disappear when we get out,” Nick’s explanation finished in a whisper and he stared hard at the floor refusing to meet the eyes of his friends.

“NICK I NEVER WANT TO HEAR THAT OUT OF YOU AGAIN!” Aaron’s voice suddenly screamed angrily. Nick jumped a foot in the air and turned to his brother. Before Nick could utter a sound to comfort Aaron, the latter had rose painfully and stood at Nick’s eye level while Nick was sitting down. “Now you listen and You listen Good!” Aaron yelled in Nick’s face, “Disappearing from our lives would solve NOTHING Nick. While we may be protected physically from Viper, Ace and the rest of them, we could NEVER be happy! Safe and sound without you, we would always be wondering if you were alive! If you were alone! If you were happy! I would rather die with you in my life, than be without you safe! What you’re suggesting is SELFISH NICK IT’S SELFISH!” Aaron finished his tirade then collapsed on the ground completely shaking with new sobs.

Nick’s eyes were wide as saucers as he dashed to the floor next to his brother. Nick bit his lip and tentatively touched Aaron’s shoulder to which the younger blonde jumped up into his brother’s arms. Nick closed his arms around Aaron hurriedly, and began to sway soothingly. “Don’t leave me Nick,” Aaron whispered, “please?”

“Don’t leave any of us,” Brian added softly, hiding his anger towards Nick for the moment.

“The kid’s right,” A.J. added angrily, “you disappearing would possibly protect us from Viper et. all-“

“And that’s a big if!” Howie interrupted.

“But there would always be an empty space where you are right now. We would never know if anything had happened to you or if you were alone. We would be constantly preoccupied. Leaving would only cause more pain Nick…” A.J. scolded.

“Especially if we knew you did it for us.” Kevin whispered.

Nick refrained from his response for a moment instead staring intently at his brother. “Aaron,” Nick said gently. Aaron managed to look up at him. Nick smiled. “I’m not going to leave you…never permanently…” Nick said looking up at everyone, “I was just thinking out loud ya’ll…I’m sorry I upset you.”

Aaron clung to Nick. “It’s fine…just don’t mention it again,” Aaron whispered.

Nick smiled again at his brother then looked up quickly as the lock to the door clicked and the door opened. Nick stood up with his brother who clung to Nick’s midsection in fear. Nick growled and used his arm to pull Aaron closer. “No matter what happens, protect Aaron!” Nick ordered. The rest of the boys nodded in determination and stood in front of Aaron, pulling the boy behind them.

The door swung open with a clang as the boys stood at the ready, their breathing momentarily halted. As they looked to the entrance of the cell, Ace ambled in followed by five other guards. Ace held a tray of hot, delicious looking food, as did the rest of the guards. Ace smiled at the rest of the group. Nick tensed as Ace walked closer to him and addressed the group. “Good morning Nicky! Kevvy! Howard! Mr. McClean! Brizey! And of course, litt-”

“Don’t. Talk. To. Him,” Kevin snarled at Ace. Ace grinned evilly.

“Brave talk coming from a man who was sobbing hysterically underground…and from a man who stopped breathing.” Ace taunted.

A sharp, resounding intake of breath was heard around the cell from all except Nick and Kevin. Kevin closed his eyes and cursed inwardly. “What do you want Ace?” Nick snapped, irritated that Ace told the rest of the boys about the earlier events that he had sworn not to tell anyone else.

“Just wanted to drop off the food that Viper wanted ya’ll to have,” Ace replied lazily.

“Fine. You did it. Now leave,” Nick snapped again.

“A bit cross are we?” Ace laughed, “but very well. I shall return soon…enjoy your meal.” Ace then gathered his guards who were all sneering at the boys and left the cell, slamming the heavy metal door with a loud thud.

As soon as the door shut, Brian, A.J., Howie, and Aaron launched a tirade on Kevin. “Did he say you stopped breathing cuz?” Brian demanded angrily.

Kevin smiled meekly. “Well, yes but-” Kevin stammered as Howie cut him off.
“Kev! Why didn’t you tell us? You were so angry at Ncik when he did the same thing!”

“Oh my God…you almost died,” Aaron whispered. A.J. took a different approach.

“I swear to God, when I get my hands on that no good, low down, good for nothing asshole I’m gonna-”

“Anyone hungry?” Nick asked nonchalantly, from across the room, coming to Kevin’s rescue.

“YES!” Kevin blurted quickly stepping forward quickly and shooting a grateful look at Nick, who smirked in return, “but are you sure it’s safe?”

“Did you not hear us? We want an explanation dammit!” A.J. snapped.

“A.J. watch your mouth,” Kevin replied automatically, clearly not really paying attention.

“I don’t know Kev…it might be laced with something to make us weaker or sleep so they can take Aaron easier,” Nick answered, hiding his smile as both he and Kevin blatantly ignored A.J.’s question.

“So what should we do? We do need nourishment…” Kevin thought out loud.

“One of us should test it,” A.J. said stepping forward, forgetting Kevin’s untold story for the time being, “I could do it.”

Nick frowned. “If Ace should come back after assuming that we had all eaten it…we would need you to fight Aje…” Nick replied shaking his head, “Howie’s arm is VERY broken,” Nick said motioning to Howie who was sitting on one of the cots, “Aaron’s been beaten almost senseless…” Nick said motioning to his brother, “and Brian’s already weakened by the drugs that were administered when we got here…so none of them can fight…I need you Aje. Otherwise it would only be me and Kevin who would be able to fight…and Kev’s still pretty beat up.”

“He’s right,” Howie replied softly, “I’ll do it…I’m the only one who can”

“What? Why you?” A.J. asked.

“Well you, Nick, and Kevin are out, for obvious reasons,” Howie began, “Aaron’s body might not be as tolerant to toxins…and our immune system is stronger than his anyways…”

“Good point,” Nick agreed.

“And Brian already has drugs in his system. If we mix two drugs, who knows what might happen…especially with his heart…and with my arm there’s nothing I can do to help otherwise, so that leaves me to do it,” Howie finished smiling at the rest of the boys. Nick smiled weakly at Howie.

“Are you sure you’re up to this D?” Nick asked.

“Positive,” Howie replied nodding once.

“Okay…here ya go,” Kevin replied giving Howie the tray. Howie shakily picked up the fork and shoveled some of what looked like mashed potatoes with meat in it onto the fork and put it in his mouth. Howie swallowed the food and put it down, drinking some water.

“Aren’t you going to eat?” A.J. asked. Howie smiled at his friend.

“I’m not going to shovel the entire bowl down while you guys can’t eat…it wouldn’t be fair. I’m going to see if this affects me, then I’ll eat the rest of it with all of you,” Howie replied.

“Well I think it’s perfectly fair myself,” Aaron mumbled. The rest of the boys nodded in agreement.

“I really hope the food isn’t poisoned,” Howie mumbled. The rest of the boys laughed. Howie smiled. “I meant I hope it isn’t because I’m really hungry,” Howie told the rest of the boys who nodded in agreement.

“And this time, Nick, you are eating your food,” Kevin scolded. Nick rolled his eyes and grunted an agreement.

After about a half an hour, Nick stood up and picked up another tray. He walked over to Aaron’s cot, and put it next to his brother before retrieving another one and giving it to Brian. “We can eat now,” Nick informed everyone, “it’s been long enough…but be sure to eat slowly. Your bodies haven’t had food in awhile…you’ll make yourselves sick if you eat too fast.”

All of the boys picked up their respected trays and sat down to eat. Everyone had eager looks in their eyes as they ate. After everyone was finished, A.J. helped Howie onto a cot to sleep, then proceeded to lay down on the one directly across from his friend. Kevin jumped up and thought about helping Brian up to a cot, but then decided against it as his cousin seemed to know what he was thinking and gave him a ‘do not disturb’ look. Kevin lay down on another cot and closed his eyes emitting a loud sigh.

Nick still sat on the cot he had placed his brother on and didn’t seem to be moving anytime soon. Aaron lay his head back on the cot and closed his eyes before snapping them back open quickly. Nick smiled at his brother before leaning down and whispering in Aaron’s ear, smoothing back his hair. Aaron nodded, yawned then closed his eyes, rolling against Nick’s side. Nick smiled at his brother before looking at his best friend sitting on the floor by Aaron’s cot. “You should sleep too ya know,” Nick whispered to Brian.

“I thought I’d keep you company,” Brian replied.

“But you need to sleep off the rest of that poison, before it damages you for good,” Nick insisted.

“Nah I’m fine,” Brian insisted. Nick frowned at him.

“How about you move the other cot over here so you can lay down and still ‘keep me company’?” Nick suggested. Brian smiled.

“Fine. If it will make you feel better then I will,” Brian replied.

Brian set about pulling the cot over next to Aaron’s cot, then lay down on it. Brian looked suspiciously at Nick. “Where are you sleeping?” Brian asked.

“I’m not letting Aaron out of my sight or touch…I’m sleeping on the cot next to him tonight,” Nick answered smiling at his sleeping brother fondly.
“Okay…promise me you’ll get some sleep.” Brian requested yawning.
Nick smiled. “I promise,” he replied.
The next few hours passed with Brian keeping Nick company before both Nick and Brian fell asleep, Nick on Aaron’s cot, and Brian on his own. Nick’s arm was draped over Aaron’s sleeping form, and Brian faced the brothers as both parties slept on.