- Text Size +
TROUBLE CHAPTER 25

A deafening silence fell over the cell as Aaron stared at the opened cell door in front of him. He blinked a couple times to make sure he was not dreaming and his mouth fell open in shock. Behind him, Aaron heard Nick, Kevin, and A.J. all gasp.

“Whoa…” Aaron heard A.J. mutter, “please, please, PLEASE tell me that actually did happen.”

“It definitely did,” Nick replied, his eyes wide, and mouth open.

“What should we do?” Kevin asked quietly.

“I don’t know,” Nick answered just as quietly.

“Whatever we do it has to be done fast,” A.J. responded.

“We can’t be rash about this A.J.,” Kevin scolded, “we don’t know that this isn’t a trap.

An argument broke out as Aaron stared at the open doorway. A thousand different thoughts zoomed through Aaron’s head in one split second. One thought was dominant over the rest. ‘BRIAN! GO!’ his mind screamed. Nick seemed to know what Aaron was thinking and shook his head beginning to stand up.

“Aaron, don’t,” Nick started firmly. But the warning fell on deaf ears as Aaron shot out the door in a flash. As he pushed out of the doorway, and brushed past a guard who was standing there, Kevin, A.J., and Nick blinked rapidly and their mouths hung open. The guard had not seen the door open to begin with and jumped in surprise as the young blonde ran past him.

“HEY!” the guard screamed at Aaron as the young blonde took off down the hall.

“AARON!” Nick screamed forcing himself to his feet and lunging at the door. The guard outside gasped and slammed the door shut, this time clicking the lock into place before Nick could push the door out. Nick hit the door hard, pushed off and stared at the closed door in shock before punching it hard. “DAMMIT!” he yelled spinning around and looking about the cell frantically.

“This is not good,” Kevin groaned.

“No shit this ain’t good! Aaron’s gonna get himself killed!” A.J. replied, his voice high pitched.

“A.J., hush,” Kevin muttered through clenched teeth staring pointedly at Nick whose eyes darted around the cell, a lost, helpless look in them.

“Sorry,” A.J. whispered before he sighed in frustration.

“He’s gonna die,” Nick whispered frantically running a hand through his hair. It was not clear whether he had heard A.J.’s comment or not, but he seemed to have the general idea. Kevin jumped into father mode again and walked forward putting a hand on Nick’s shoulder.

“Shh Nick, Aaron’s not gonna die. He’s too valuable to Viper,” Kevin reminded him.

“That’s not a comforting thought either Kev,” Nick snapped pulling away from Kevin. “He’s gonna die and so is Brian and its ALL MY FAULT!”

“Okay,” Howie’s groggy voice suddenly muttered confusedly. The three remaining boys’ heads whipped around to face Howie. “What did I miss?”


~*~*


Aaron turned left and right down hallway after hallway. He did not know where he was going at all, but trusted his instincts to lead him in the right direction. The only thing on the young blonde’s mind was that of his brother and his brothers friends’ safety. Most of all, Aaron was preoccupied in finding Nick’s best friend. Aaron knew he was Brian’s only hope to stay alive, and at that moment, Aaron didn’t care how he had to do it, but he was determined to save Brian from as much pain as possible. If that meant taking on Viper or Ace one on one, then so be it.

All of the doors looked the same to Aaron and he suddenly felt like he was going in circles. After running for what seemed to be an eternity, Aaron came to two new doors. The doors were large, heavy looking oak doors, and Aaron instantly recognized this as Viper’s office. He also knew that this is where he would find Brian. “HEY KID! STOP!” he heard from down the hallway. Aaron turned his head to see guards coming after him down the hallway, Ace in the lead.

Aaron snorted. ‘Yeah right,’ he thought. Aaron pushed his weight against the door.

Luck was on Aaron’s side as the doors creaked loudly and pushed open. Aaron quickly slipped inside and slammed the door shut behind him, locking the ead bolt in place. Looking around quickly, Aaron saw a long, heavy looking table sitting against the wall by the door. Aaron ran to the other side and leaned against the table willing it to move. The table squeaked as it slid across the floor against the door. Wildly, Aaron looked around and saw two easy chairs close to the doorway. Aaron ran to those as well and shoved them against the doorway, preventing the guards who had now caught up and were pushing against the doorway, from coming in so easily.

His energy now expended, Aaron leaned against the furniture against the door breathing hard, with his head in his hands. Aaron looked around the room. Aaron smiled in relief as his gaze fell on Brian. Brian had a new cut on his right brow, and a new bruise forming on his cheek, but otherwise he seemed to be okay. He was tied to a plain wooden chair in the center of the room in front of the desk, and seemed to be unconscious. Aaron ran over to Brian and knelt next to him. Gently, Aaron shook the older boy, and slapped his face to rouse him. Aaron sighed with relief as Brian’s eyes opened slowly. He took in Aaron’s face, and though he was still clearly groggy, his face lit up in a big grin suddenly. “AARON!?”

“Hey,” Aaron greeted stooping down to untie him. He worked at the ropes that bound Brian’s hands to the chair and smiled triumphantly as the ropes began to loosen. “Are you hurt?’ Aaron asked as the ropes fell away. Brian stood quickly, then fell back into the chair with a soft moan as he became light headed. “Brian! Are you alright?” Aaron asked in concern. Brian smiled at him reassuringly rubbing the feeling back into his wrists.

“I’ll live,” he replied standing slowly this time, “but Aaron how did you-?”

“Later Brian, we’ve got bigger problems...I don’t suppose you know where Viper went?” Aaron asked.

Brian nodded. “Yeah before I passed out again, he was yelling at me about something or another, then the phone rang and he took off, after a heated conversation” Brian answered.

“Phone?” Aaron asked as his heart skipped a beat.

Brian opened up his mouth to reply as the a loud bang came from the door. Aaron and Brian jumped as the door splintered from the dead bolt and the chairs and table moved slightly from the force being applied to the door.

‘Dammit,’ Aaron thought to himself. Brian wasted no time in running to the pile of furniture and pushing his weight against it. The table and chairs crept again as the door was hit repeatedly.

“Quick Aaron, do something!” Brian screamed at him. Aaron looked around him wildly before his eyes rested on the phone on the desk. A smile crept to his lips as he ran over to the phone and picked it up. He cheered silently as he heard the dial tone. Without even thinking first, Aaron dialed 911 and prayed that he would have the time to get help here before they were caught. After the first ring, a monotonous woman answered sounding a bit bored..

“911 what’s your emergency?” the lady droned.

“Hi! Uhm... My name is Aaron Carter…my brother, his friends and myself have all been kidnapped, and we need help and-,”

“What is your location?” the lady interrupted in the same irritating tone.

“I don’t know,” Aaron answered.

“Sir,” the lady said again with an irritated sigh, “please calm down and tell me where you are, are you sure nothing looks familiar?”

“Lady,” Aaron replied shortly, “I have NO idea where we are at. Doesn’t your equipment tell you where I call from when I dial?”

“Hold please,” the lady replied.

“You’re kidding right?” Aaron asked sounding quite irritated. He was answered only by silence.

Aaron blinked in shock. “YOU’VE GOT TO BE JOKING!” he yelled into the receiver.

“AARON!” Brian cried as the door pushed open another inch. Brian pushed back, but it was obvious he wasn’t going to be able to hold it very much longer.

“I’m on hold Brian!” Aaron called back.

“Well she better come back SOON,” Brian grunted as he shoved his weight into the door when it moved again.

Aaron winced. He wanted to go over and help Brian, but could do nothing as he waited on the phone. Finally, the woman came back on the line. “We’ve disclosed your location to the local police. They’re on the way, the ETA is five to ten minutes…but I want you to stay on the line with me okay?” The woman replied.

“Thanks,” Aaron said hastily into the phone. He had every intention of staying on the line but when Brian moved back another inch with a loud cry, Aaron knew he couldn’t stay on the line. “Gotta Go! Thanks!” Aaron said into the phone before hanging it up. He ran over to Brian and leaned against the furniture to try and help.

“What’s going on Aaron?” Brian asked with a loud grunt.

“The police are on the way, but we have to stall them for 5 minutes at least,” Aaron replied.

“Got it,” Brian replied with a nod then grunted as the door moved again. Aaron scrambled with Brian to keep the door shut as the older blonde smiled at him. “Thanks,” Brian said.

“For what?” Aaron asked before grunting and pushing against the door again.

“It was really brave of you to come back for me...not that I want you to do it ever again...” Brian said with a smile. Aaron returned the smile.

“Well I’m sorry, for earlier” Aaron said softly.

Brian knew what he was referring to and rolled his eyes. “DEFINITELY not your fault,” he replied honestly.

“But,” Aaron argued as he shoved against the door again, “if I had ju-.”

“Shut it,” Brian ordered gently.

“Bri...we can’t hold this forever,” Aaron said softly causing Brian to turn and look at him. Aaron’s eyes were full of fear.

“It’ll be alright Aaron,” Brian said gently, “I won’t let them kill you.” Temporarily preoccupied, the door was pushed open all the way sending Brian and Aaron backwards. They landed in a heap next to each other before they sat up and watched as the guards walked in. Brian swallowed slowly, as Aaron’s breath caught. Ace entered the room looking less than pleased, followed by Viper. Both of them walked straight to Aaron and Ace growled low in his throat.

Aaron looked up into the pair’s faces in terror, before he replaced the look with a defiant one. “Boy, do you have any idea how much you’ve irritated me just now?” Viper asked him, sounding more than just irritated. Aaron grinned back at him.

“Yeah I’m pretty sure I do,” Aaron replied with confidence. Ace growled and stooped down, picking up Aaron by the collar of his shirt.

“HEY!” Brian objected attempting to stand. A single look from Viper made him remain seated. Aaron’s defiant gaze remained until Ace roared in anger and tossed him onto a coffee table next to them. Aaron’s small body shattered the small table upon contact.

“AARON NO!” Brian cried jumping up.

“YOU STAY!” Ace growled. Aaron groaned and rolled over onto his stomach.

Brian growled at Viper and turned his head. “Bastard,” he muttered before his head reeled back from the blow that Viper just hit him with. Brian fell to the ground on his back. Aaron crawled weakly over to Brian who grabbed the boy, checking him over. Ace advanced on the pair and was about to kick Aaron as loud noise began to echo throughout the office.

“Dammit!” Viper cursed as he looked around wildly.

“SIR!” A guard yelled coming into the office, “the police almost have us surrounded! We must get you out of here NOW!”

Ace looked alarmed as he reached down to pull Aaron up by the collar again. Aaron didn’t try to be brave this time. He trembled under Ace’s hardened gaze as he screamed, “WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!”

Aaron swallowed and attempted a cocky grin. “Saved my brother and his friends,” he answered shakily.

“Not all of them...and definitely not you...Bring them with us,” Viper ordered, “we gotta go now.”

Ace growled and shoved Aaron at Viper who caught the young blonde restraining him. Ace then leaned down and gathered Brian up, twisting his arms behind his back in case he decided to fight back. “Let’s go,” Ace said as he and Viper exited the office with Aaron and Brian struggling the whole way.

~*~*

Nick, A.J., Kevin, and Howie all visibly started when the alarms began to echo throughout the cell. A.J. Kevin and Howie looked around wildly as Nick slowly rose to his feet. He looked around the cell as it all computed and a smile came to his face. He ran to the cell door and put all of his weight against it. Overwhelming relief washed over him as the door swung open. Nick cautiously peeked his head out of the cell seeing that the coast was clear. He turned back and grinned at his band mates. “Let’s go.”