- Text Size +
TROUBLE CHAPTER 26

Nick led the others through the hallways, ducking back as guards and other workers swept by. A.J. had lifted Howie’s weak and tired body onto his shoulder to help his friend walk easier, and Kevin was walking in stride with Nick, checking every once in a while to make sure that Howie and A.J. were okay. They walked cautiously for a while before a noise from the ceiling clicked. Nervously, Nick looked up while they were walking. “Nicky,” the voice called.

Nick stopped dead in his tracks, his attention solely on the Speaker above him. “Viper,” he returned.

“Guess what Nicky! I have your brother and your other half!” Viper’s voice taunted as Nick paled. “Your little brother is quite clever Nicky,” Viper continued, “he managed to elude the guards, get to Brian, ensure Brian’s safety, and phone the police before myself or Ace could get to him...” It was obvious to Nick that Viper was only half talking to him and half lecturing Aaron himself. Focusing during the silence, Nick could hear Aaron’s rapid breathing through the loud speaker as Viper’s voice turned dangerous. “Aaron’s insolence will quite possibly cost Brian his life.”

“NO!” Aaron’s voice screamed as struggling sounds were heard.

“No, perhaps not...perhaps it will be you, Aaron who pays. Well in any case...if you want them back...come and get me Nick.” Aaron’s yelp after this statement from Viper was the last thing that was heard before the connection was cut.

“Shit,” Howie cursed softly.

“Yep,” A.J. agreed, his eyes wide.

Nick’s eyes had a panicked, angry look to them as he looked down the hall. Wordlessly, he set out in stride down the hall.

“Nick,” Kevin said taking a step with him, “we’ll go-.”

“No,” Nick replied, “you guys get out of here and to a hospital. I’ll be fine.”

“But Nick,” Howie began to argue.

“NO! GO ON! GET OUT OF HERE!” Nick yelled at his remaining band mates before taking off down the hallway, ignoring his friend’s pleas to return. Nick ran down the hallway zigzagging every which way. “Brian! Aaron!” Nick called over and over, pausing only to listen for any sound of a reply.

The sounds of footsteps coming towards him didn’t slow Nick a bit. He went full speed down the hall, desperately calling out for his best friend and his younger brother. “Freeze!” a gruff voice barked in front of him. Nick jumped back startled and looked up. There were five police officers standing in front of him, guns drawn. “GET ON THE GROUND!” they all yelled repeatedly.

“Whoa!” Nick protested holding up his hands in defeat. “I’m a good guy; I’m just trying to find my brother and my best friend!”

Another officer nudged the leader. “He’s telling the truth, my daughter is obsessed with them...they’re not really big yet but he is from the missing group.”

The leader nodded gruffly before putting his gun away. “Alright sir, just you leave the finding to us. We’ll get them. You need to go with some of my men outside where you’ll be safe,” he ordered.

Nick glared at the officer before shaking his head. “I ain’t leaving until I find my friend and brother.” Nick answered stubbornly. “my other friends are down the hall though. Get them to safety.”

The leader nodded to three men who took off down the hall after Nick’s three friends he left behind. “Sir that is not an option you must leave that to us,” The leader ordered.

“You don’t have ANY idea what you’re looking for,” Nick answered insistently, “you thought I was one of them!” ‘Which technically you were,’ he thought to himself.

“Let us be the judge of that,” The leader tried to reason.

‘This is taking to long!’ Nick thought frantically before glaring icily at the leader. “Get out of my way,” Nick ordered attempting to step around the team.

“I can’t do that sir,” The leader said stepping in front of Nick.

“Move.” The order was so low and so firm, that the swat team leader and his members faltered back. This is the opening that Nick was going for and without hesitation, Nick knocked them all to the ground, then shoved through them.

“SIR!” the leader called again. Nick didn’t even pause. He took off in his search for his brother and best friend again.

“Aaron! Brian!” he yelled again continuing to run. “Brian!” Again nothing. Nick began to lose hope gripping at his hair nervously.

“SIR!” The voice was behind him this time.

“Look,” Nick snapped turning around to face the team for a split second, “I don’t have time for you.” Nick then continued on his way. “AARON!”

“Sir if you don’t come with me I will have to sedate you,” the leader said. Nick chose to ignore him.

“BRIAN!”

“Sir you nee-“ the swat team leader was cut off as a scream was heard.

“NICK!” Aaron’s terrified voice cried out. Nick’s eyes widened and he took off letting whatever the swat team leader was going to say, fall onto deaf ears.

Nick came sliding to a stop. His eyes became wide as saucers before narrowing. Ace had hold of Brian restraining both of his hands behind him. His right arm was twisted painfully behind his back. He was eliciting soft grunts of pain, attempting to not cry out as Ace pulled on his arm.

Viper meanwhile had Aaron by his hair. The smaller boy was pushed up against one of the walls being brutally beaten, probably for calling out to Nick. “You stupid. *hit* STUPID *hit* Boy!” Viper was screaming at Aaron. Aaron looked terrified and attempted unsuccessfully to protect himself by shielding his face, crying out with every hit.

Nick’s eyes narrowed as he reached his breaking point. “Stop.” The calmness of his own voice shocked Nick and startled everyone else in the hallway.

Brian looked at Nick panting in fear and pain. “Nick,” He whispered. Aaron raised his fear and pain filled eyes to look his brother in the eye. Blood was oozing from the corner of his mouth.

“Nick!” he cried out in terror struggling against Viper who laughed at the small boy.

“Uh uh uhhh… be still little Carter.” Viper cooed pulling Aaron back to him, snaking an arm around his neck.

“Let them go Viper,” Nick ordered advancing towards Viper and Ace, “They didn’t belong here in the first place.”

“No…uh uh Nicky.” Viper laughed pulling a gun from his pocket. Nick stopped in his tracks as Viper pointed it at Aaron’s head.

Nick swallowed and suddenly felt cold. The incident with Ace earlier was much different than this. Ace could not kill one of them without permission from his master. But now, Viper was between a rock and a hard place, his game done. Now he wouldn’t hesitate to kill the boy. “Viper…Viper don’t…” Nick whimpered.

“Don’t what Nicky?” Viper asked innocently before growling, “This?” Viper forced the gun into Aaron’s temple roughly, then released the safety with a click. He pushed it even closer to Aaron’s temple.

Aaron clenched his eyes shut and whimpered. Tears leaked from the corners of his eyes as he swallowed and trembled. Nick just swallowed as Brian gave a small cry. “S…Stop Viper…he…he’s just…a…a… kid…” Brian begged.

“Yes…I suppose you’re right…we don’t want little Aaron too scared,” Viper answered before pulling the gun from Aaron’s temple. Aaron almost sagged in relief.

Viper kept the arm snaked around Aaron’s neck as the other arm held the gun straight out towards Nick. “You on the other hand, I don’t care about,” Viper snarled before pulling the trigger.

A loud bang filled the hallway as Nick felt a searing pain in his right shoulder. The force of the bullet sent Nick falling backwards as blood seeped through his hand which was now clutching the bleeding wound. Nick gritted his teeth together in pain and fell to the ground closing his eyes.

“NICK NO!” Brian screamed struggling violently against Ace.

”Stop Moving,” Ace hissed pulling on Brian’s twisted arm. Brian gasped in pain but kept his eyes locked on Nick continuing to kick and struggle. Aaron just stared wide eyed as he thought his brother had just been killed. More tears welled up in his eyes. ‘No,’ his mind gasped.

Viper pulled Aaron away from the scene, and Ace followed dragging Brian around. “NICK!!! NICK!!!” Brian screamed trying to remain looking at Nick’s fallen body as he was pulled from the hallway.

Nick lay motionless on the ground. ‘Get up body!’ he screamed at himself.

‘No,’ his mind replied, ‘fuck you Nick, you spaent all your energy.’

‘Aaron…Brian…dammit let me up!’ he screamed back.

‘Rest…then go back…you know where they’re going,’

‘I know but I have a really bad feeling abo-‘


DARKNESS