- Text Size +
*Beep Beep Beep Beep*

Nick groaned softly as the constant beeping of his alarm jolted him back to awareness. ‘Damn alarm clock,’ he thought testily to himself. He was tired and getting up was out of the question at the moment. He was sure that practice wasn’t for another few hours, but he knew that Kevin being Kevin would want him awake way before then. Perhaps it had something to do with the fact that Nick would still be late even if the alarm did wake him up.

*Beep Beep Beep Beep*

That beeping noise was irritating the crap out of him, and his shoulder throbbed dully hurt for some reason. When the beeping continued after a few moments, he sighed and turned over on his side to turn it off, only to let out a cry of pain and open his eyes.

He finally looked around and noticed he was alone in an all white room. Nick’s eyes narrowed in confusion. White Room? But Wasn’t he in a hotel somewhere? Carefully, he sat up and looked around. Plain white walls, a gray door, and green cabinets littered the room. The room smelled horribly sterile to Nick and his eyes narrowed in confusion.

‘A hospital?’ he wondered to himself as the characteristics of the room became familiar. Nick’s brow furrowed in confusion before the last few minutes he was conscious came flooding back to him. Ace pulling painfully on Brian’s twisted arms, Aaron shoved against the wall being repeatedly struck across the face, the gun pressed to Aaron’s head, the gun pointed at him as Viper pulled the trigger…then took off down the hallway…Nick’s eyes shot open with a gasp. ‘Dammit’ he cursed to himself shoving the blankets off his legs.

With barely a second passing by, Nick ripped the IV out of his hand only taking a sharp breath as it ripped through the skin. Knowing nurses would run into his room in hysterics if he pulled off the heart monitor, Nick left that on and looked around the room for some clothes. Seeing none at first he sighed and walked to the closet in the room. Nick opened the door and smiled in victory. Whatever nurse cleaned this room before he was in it, didn’t do a good job as there were left over clothes from the former occupants of the room.

Carefully, Nick pulled the clothes out of the closet and studied them for a moment. The black pants he was holding appeared to be on the larger side, and the t-shirt was a plain silver button up shirt. Smiling, Nick pulled on the pants wincing slightly as his shoulder throbbed in pain and his side stretched a bit. He pulled on the shirt next barely suppressing the scream of pain as both wounds tore a bit more, although the pain should have probably been more and would have without the medication he was on.

Nick left the shirt hanging open so he could pull the heart monitor cord through quickly. The pants were indeed too big, and the shirt hugged his shoulders a bit too tight, but Nick was just grateful that he had clothes to wear and that he didn’t have to go around town in a hospital gown.

Nick crossed to the other side of the room pulling the heart monitor with him. Nick smiled at his good luck as his room was on the first floor. Pulling open the window, Nick prepared to hop out and pull off the heart monitors. Suddenly, his family and friends came to his mind and he paused. He knew their reactions to his disappearance would not be a good one, and he decided that he should do something to fix that. Looking to his left, Nick noticed a prescription pad and a pen carelessly sitting on the bedside table.

Nick hastily scrawled a note on the pad before pulling the window open, pulling off the heart monitor and jumping down to the soft earth. Nick had disappeared into the darkness of the street before anyone even had a clue that he was gone.

Left on the bed in the room was a sloppy message meant to soothe the hysterics of a family and friends.

“Hey Ya’ll!
I’m sure it’s no secret where I ran off to...but just in case, I just wanted to let you know that I’ve gone after Brian and Aaron. I’m going back to where this all began ya’ll. Aaron will be home soon momma I promise. And Kev, A.J, and Howie, feel better. My other half will be back with you even if I have to die trying. I can’t promise I’ll make it home, but I will try.
Love You,
Nick”

xxxxxxxxxxx


Aaron gave a loud pain filled grunt as his small body connected with the floor again. As we he went to get up, Ace kicked him in the stomach sending him sprawling.

“STOP! PLEASE!” Brian cried from his position across the room. Brian was chained to a long pipe above his head with handcuffs. He struggled against the shackles that bound his wrists as Ace and Viper laughed at him.

Ace was having his fun “fighting” with Aaron. Although it might as well have been a beating as Aaron wasn’t even close to being the size of Ace, and he did not have the training that Nick did at his age.

Ace’s gaze was taunting as he laughed at Aaron. “C’mon kid take me down!” Ace taunted. Aaron’s pain filled eyes opened slowly, and Aaron pushed himself to his knees before he stood weakly, and looked at Brian who shook his head, eyes wide. ‘Don’t,’ Brian mouthed. Aaron’s eyes filled with determination, and after a brief smile of reassurance, he turned to Ace, and ran at him swinging. It was hopeless and Ace knocked Aaron back to the ground again laughing at his futile attempt.

Aaron landed with a loud thud and he groaned in pain yet again. “Get up,” Ace ordered. Aaron groaned weakly and then rolled over. He pulled himself to a standing position facing Ace. He thought about giving up or refusing to fight but then remembered that if he didn’t fight Ace, then Ace would take it out on Brian and wouldn’t unchain him. Aaron didn’t want Brian to be hurt especially when he could not protect himself, so he readied himself against Ace again.

Ace motioned for Aaron to approach. As Aaron ran at him again, Ace sidestepped away from Aaron, and kicked the boy in the chest as he ran by. Aaron flipped in midair and fell to the ground gasping for air as Ace walked by and kicked Aaron in the stomach. Aaron cried out and rolled over.

“Please…leave him alone…” Brian whispered, his throat feeling suddenly very small and dry. Brian pulled helplessly on the chains again, “He’s just a child!”

Ace listened to what Brian had said for the second time that day. “You know Bri Bri, you’re right. I won’t beat him…” Ace sneered. Brian rejoiced then paled as Ace pulled out his knife.

Ace rolled Aaron onto his back and put the knife to Aaron’s throat. Aaron sucked in a breath and clenched his eyes shut as Ace trailed the knife up Aaron’s cheek, to his forehead then down the other side. At first Aaron whimpered, but then he stopped and just stared defiantly at Ace. “Well this is no fun!” Ace muttered shoving Aaron away before standing up and leaving Aaron lying on the ground.

Ace approached Brian who was chained to the wall. His hands were chained above his head exposing his stomach and chest. “Maybe you’ll be more fun,” Ace sneered at Brian as he kicked the blonde in the stomach. Brian grunted in pain and then swallowed in terror as Ace began to beat him senseless. Aaron’s eyes shot open from his position on the ground and he scrambled to his feet.

“Brian!” Aaron cried out making a dash at Ace. Viper appeared from out of nowhere and grabbed him. Aaron was forced to watch as Ace beat Brian again and again. “Please, stop! Don’t hurt him! I’ll fight! I’ll fight!” Aaron screamed tears streaming down his face. Ace and Viper ignored the young boy’s pleas and Ace continued his assault.

Before long, Brian’s cries turned into pain filled groans, then to soft, almost inaudible grunts. Ace finally grew “satisfied” and stopped. Brian’s face was red with newly formed welts, and blood oozed from his nose, and his mouth. His body sagged against the chains from utter exhaustion, and his breathing was ragged and forced. Aaron swallowed before pulling against Viper again. “Brian?” Aaron croaked out in fear, wide eyed. Brian lifted his head, and forced a reassuring smile before he let his head fall back onto his chest and he closed his eyes for a minute. Aaron looked away with tears of shame and Viper laughed.

“This has been fun,” Viper said grinning. Aaron swallowed again slowly, his eyes shut.

“You asshole,” Aaron swore viciously, “my brother will come.” Aaron’s statement was stronger than he really felt.

“Yes…I do hope he will be able to...that is if you didn’t kill him.” Ace laughed evilly as Aaron grew angrier.

“He’s alive…and he’ll kill both of you for what you’ve just done to Brian,” Aaron said glancing away towards his fallen friend.

“Well I’ll be glad if he’s alive…then I can kill you in front of him…” Ace laughed again. Aaron clenched his fists.
“I hate you both,” he growled. Viper backhanded him.

“Hate is a strong word young Aaron, choose your words and allies carefully,” Viper snarled. Aaron glared defiantly and growled as Viper continued, “my offer that Ace offered you still stands boy.”
Ace walked to Brian and undid his shackles. Brian started to fall to the floor, but Ace caught him in midair and kneed him in the stomach one more before letting Brian fall to the floor gasping for air. Aaron watched the scene before turning back to Viper, glaring daggers. “I’d rather die,” Aaron whispered angrily.
Viper smiled a sadistic smile. “THAT can be arranged young Mr. Carter. Come Ace, we’re done here.” Ace nodded at Viper, kicked Brian in the ribs once more, then left Aaron and Brian alone.

Aaron rushed forward towards Brian and knelt next to the older blonde. He carefully surveyed the damage done to Brian before deciding that it was okay to shake him. “Brian…” he whimpered. Brian opened one eye and saw Aaron’s terrified face.

“Aaron,” he whispered before taking in Aaron’s appearance. The younger blonde looked absolutely terrified as well as beaten senseless. Brian sat up slowly against the wall ignoring the younger blonde’s cry of protest. Brian smiled reassuringly at Aaron and opened his arms to the smaller blonde. Aaron wasted no time jumping into the embrace. Brian closed his arms around Aaron and rocked him back and forth. “Aaron,” Brian said after a moment’s pause, “you’ve been really brave so far, but PLEASE don’t offer to take any beatings for me…I can’t bare it,” Brian choked.

Aaron clung to him. “I don’t’ want them to hurt you Bri,” he whispered fearfully.

“It hurts me twice as much knowing I can’t help you…please don’t do it okay?”

“No promises Bri Bri…” Aaron replied.

“Please?”

“No promises…but okay.”

“Good boy…close your eyes now…go to sleep you’ll need your strength.”

“Night.”

“Good night Aaron.” There was a moment of silence and Brian had just about dozed off when,

“Thank you,” Aaron’s small voice said from Brian’s embrace.

“For what?” Brian inquired drowsily.

“For not leaving me alone,” Aaron replied sleepily.

“I could never do that Aaron…you’re stuck with me.”

“Good…I’m glad Bri Bri…Night…” Aaron yawned.

“Goodnight Aaron,” Brian whispered. He waited until Aaron had dozed off before he bowed his head and began to pray quietly to himself while rocking Aaron in his embrace.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Nick’s letter did very little to assuage the fears of Nick’s parents and friends who were both furious with the hospital for not noticing Nick’s disappearance sooner and worried sick that Nick thought it was possible that he may not make it home.

Though there was nothing the hospital could have done to prevent Nick from escaping, that did not stop both Jane Carter and Kevin from yelling at them. Bob, A.J., and Howie meanwhile sat quietly thinking about the note Nick left. Howie and Bob had polite discussion about their respective party’s (i.e. Jane and Kevin) reaction to Nick’s note. “It’s not like Nick just walked out of here,” Bob mumbled shaking his head slowly, “the doctors ran in as soon as the alarms went off. There was nothing they could have done! I mean he jumped out the window for Christ’s sake.”

Howie smiled wryly. “nick would have still found a way to get to Brian and Aaron…he proved how resourceful and determined he can be during our captivity…especially when it came to Aaron.”

Bob’s head snapped to study Howie and A.J. before also studying Kevin. All were bruised, plae, thinner, and completely haggard looking. Bob shook his head and felt the familiar feeling of parental protectiveness for all involved. Howie was even still hooked to an IV and was in a wheelchair.

‘These kids have been through so much,’ Bob thought to himself as he studied all of them. It was apparent in the way Howie would lose himself in his thoughts staring straight ahead. It was apparent in the way Kevin showed complete lack of restraint of his temper when he was usually so diplomatic. It was apparent in the way A.J. couldn’t sit still while chewing on his fingernails, a habit that Nick had told him that A.J. had broken earlier that year.

“Why don’t you guys go back to the rooms you were given and rest awhile,” Bob suggested sympathetically.

Howie started from his thoughts and smiled politely. “Thank you Mr. Carter, but I couldn’t sleep even if I wanted to,” Howie replied quietly.

“All the same, I think you should…try…” Bob seemed intrigued at the end of the sentence. Howie followed Bob’s gaze to A.J. who had suddenly stopped fidgeting. Studying his friend closer, Howie noticed a look of extreme enlightenment had crossed his features.

“’Jay?” Howie inquired in concern.

A.J. turned and smiled goofily at the pair. “I get it!” he exclaimed excitedly grabbing Howie’s arm tightly. “I GET IT!”

“Howie?” Bob asked in confusion.

Howie shook his head. “I don’t know…I think he’s lost it,” he murmured back incredulously.

A.J. looked from Howie to Bob and grinned. “I get it,” he repeated, “I know where Nick went!”