- Text Size +
TROUBLE CHAPTER 4

Nick glared at the retreating guard’s back as the door slammed, then turned back to inwardly search the cell. As Nick glanced around he noticed there were six cots, which he found odd, all pushed up against the wall on one side, three metal and plastic chairs were spread throughout the cell, and electric manacles were attached to the walls. There were no windows to the outside, and along the other wall, there was a sink, and a toilet.

A pain filled moan from Brian shook Nick from his daze. Nick carried Brian to one of the cots, carefully laying him down on one. Nick situated Brian so he was as comfortable as possible, Nick once again laying his own jacket on his best friend to keep Brian warm. Nick finished tucking the material around Brian, and started to walk away. Brian caught his arm in a death grip. Nick gasped in pain and turned to look his best friend in the eyes.

Brian’s eyes had a slight glaze over them probably from a fever, yet Nick could tell they held much fear. Nick grasped Brian’s hand in his own, pulling it from his arm. “N…Nick? Stay close to me please…please don’t leave me alone! I’m scared.” Nick smiled reassuringly hearing the desperation in Brian’s voice.

Nick sat down, in one of the chairs grasping Brian’s sweaty hand in his own, and smiled gently. “Sure thing Bri. Just sleep,” Nick said squeezing his best friend’s hand, “…and no,” he added seeing Brian open his mouth to speak, “I won’t leave you.” Nick finished. Satisfied, Brian nodded, yawned, and closed his eyes. With a final yawn, Brian gave into his weary condition, submitting himself to unconsciousness.

Nick sighed shakily, feeling bored already. Lazily, Nick glanced around the room, glancing across the room from the sink and toilet, to the foreboding manacles on the far wall, to the five other unoccupied cots...

Nick tensed suddenly. ‘Five?…why are there six cots…there are only two of us!’ Nick panicked. Taking a deep breath, Nick scolded himself. ‘Get a grip Carter,’ he berated himself, ‘this is how all the cells are probably.’ Satisfied with his own conclusion at the moment, Nick turned back to Brian and frowned.

Brian was sweating again and moaning in his sleep. His brow was furrowed in pain and he tossed in turned in his sleep fitfully. Nick sighed and reached out to smooth away the sweat soaked curls from Brian’s forehead. Brian groaned in discomfort and Nick continued to try and sooth Brian by running his hand across Brian’s forehead. “Shhh…” Nick soothed, hoping his voice would calm Brian down, “take it easy Brian…relax will ya? You’re okay.”

Brian whimpered again, and this time, tears leaked from the corners of Brian’s eyes. “Aww Bri,” Nick soothed. Brian seemed to sense Nick’s presence and recognize his touch, and he stopped tossing as violently.

Countless hours passed, and Nick sat bored by Brian’s side, Brian’s hand clasped tightly in his own. Brian was still sweating and was feverish. He also seemed to be having nightmares that Nick did his best to soothe away with comforting words and a squeeze of his hand.

Finally, a good 14 hours later, Brian’s eyes opened slowly with a groan emitted from Brian’s tired body. Nick closed his eyes for a second then opened them and smiled in relief. “Good morning sunshine!” Nick joked gently. Brian smiled a genuine smile, though it was very weak, and stretched the best he could.

“I hate mornings,” he replied in a mumble, rubbing his eyes. Nick smiled again and laughed softly.

“How do you feel?” he asked concerned.

“Tired,” he whispered shakily. ‘Scared senseless,’ Brian added to himself. Nick seemed to sense his thoughts.

“Me too Brian, Don’t worry though you’re gonna be fine.” Nick replied. “How’s your heart?”

“It’s fine Nicky,” Brian reassured him once again.

“Okay good,” Nick said with a nod.

The door to their cell was opened and Nick stood quickly. But the only thing that came through the door was a small tray, before the heavy door shut once again. Nick released the breath he didn’t even realize he was holding in, gave Brian a reassuring smile, and retrieved the tray.

On the tray was a small bowl of soup, which was more water than broth, two pieces of stale bread, and two glasses of water. Nick lifted the bowl and turned to Brian. “Can you sit up?” Nick asked Brian. Brian nodded slowly, and pulled his weak body into a sitting position, leaning heavily on the wall.

Nick grabbed the spoon from the tray, and spooned some of the liquid into the spoon presenting it to Brian. Brian ate weakly until half the bowl was gone. “I don’t want any more Nick.” Brian complained. Nick smiled.

“C’mon you’re almost done. Just have a little more…” Nick coached. Then he donned an impish grin and made airplane noises. “C’mon Bwi Bwi! In comes the airpwane! Vwwrrrooommmm.” Brian laughed and ate the spoonful, then another, and another, until another quarter of the soup was gone.

“Nickkkk…” he whined. Nick sighed and nodded knowingly.

“I’ll leave you alone if you drink all this water,” Nick said handing the glass to Brian who glared at Nick and drank it. Brian yawned and Nick smiled and laughed softly as Brian tried to force his eyes open.

“Go ahead and rest again Brian,” Nick said gently.

Brian laid down and was asleep instantly. Nick watched him sleep for many more hours. Nick yawned and his eyes began to close, but he always forced them back open, afraid that something would happen to Brian if he closed them to give into his weary state. He stretched and yawned once again, and tried to find ways of entertaining himself. He could find none. He got up and paced around the cell awhile, then sat back down and watched Brian sleep once again.

Another few hours passed. Nick was going insane with boredom. He watched Brian sleep for a while, and was currently counting all the dots in the ceiling. ‘400, 401, 402, 403…” The door opened suddenly and Nick was once again on his feet standing protectively in front of Brian’s sleeping form.

A guard stuck his head into the room and grabbed the tray, then left just as quickly. Nick sighed with relief then sat again. ‘Where was I? I was on…I can’t remember…’ Nick thought frustrated. “DAMNIT!” he yelled.


Many more hours passed, and Nick heard shouting, and something being thrown against the wall outside the cell. Nick got swiftly to his feet, and stood in front of Brian again. Minutes later, the door opened.

In, was thrown a black haired figure who caught himself on his hands and knees and glanced up angrily at the guard who slammed the door and left him there.

Nick squinted his eyes, and then his eyes lit up in recognition. “Howie?!” he inquired anxiously. The figure stiffened and spun around quickly. The figure was indeed Howie. A thin trail of blood leaked down the side of his face from a cut above his right eye. Nick waved, “Hey D,” he said softly.

“Nick!” Howie cried rushing Nick and nearly knocking him down as he pulled the younger boy into a tight embrace.

“Uf!” Nick grunted then laughed at Howie’s concern. “I’m alright Howie! Honestly!” Nick reassured his older friend. Before Howie could call him out on what was obviously a lie, Nick cut him off. “Are you alone?” he asked grimly.

Howie swallowed, closed his eyes and shook his head sadly. He choked as he said, “Kevin and AJ are here too…Kev’s in a bad way, and AJ has a lot of bruises.”

Nick sighed then looked at Howie more closely and noticed the cut. “And your eye?” he inquired.

Howie reached to touch the cut looking at the blood in obvious surprise. “Just a scratch,” Howie said, “Probably from being shoved against the wall outside.” Nick paled.

‘My fault…my fault…all my fault,’ Nick thought guiltily.

“Wh…Where…??” Nick left the question hanging. Howie understood.

“AJ and Kevin are together. Kevin couldn’t walk alone, and AJ fought to stay with him…since only one of us were allowed to stay, I let AJ since…” Howie stopped and sighed. “It’s a long story Nicky.” He said sitting down on one of the unoccupied chairs.

Nick nodded. “Okay,” he said softly. Howie then came to his senses and stood up walking back over to Nick, and grabbed the young blonde’s face in his hands. “What?” Nick asked almost annoyed.

“They hurt you?” Howie asked. Nick shook his head.

“No not at all,” he replied, “they mostly hurt…” but he was cut off as the door opened again. Nick instinctively pulled Howie behind him, which Howie found ironic that the youngest was protecting him.

Slowly, two other figures of Nick’s friends stumbled in. AJ was supporting Kevin who was limping rather noticeably, his horribly bruised face terribly pale. AJ had a split lip, and the beginnings of a black eye, and red welts all over his arms. He also had a quarter sized bruise above his left eye. Kevin had many bruises all over his face, his lip was split open, and he was holding his ribs, wincing painfully.

Nick gasped in horror, with a slight cry, and the two looked up. When they saw their youngest band mate, they crossed as quickly as possible to Nick and caught him in a hug. Nick clung to his friends and took a shaky breath. “I’m sorry ya’ll…I’m sooooo sorry.” He whimpered feeling tears sting his eyes.

“Shush, Nicky take it easy…” Kevin soothed, hugging his youngest band mate, who he had come to love as both a son and a brother, “I don’t know why you’re sorry but don’t be…”

“Where’s Brian?” AJ asked. Nick sighed, and pointed to the cot where Brian lay covered in Nick’s jacket. Howie gasped.

“He’s so pale…is he okay?” Howie asked.

“He’s just resting…he’s alright, I don’t’ know what they drugged him with, but it didn’t seem to hurt this heart as far as I can tell.”

Kevin nodded and approached the cot before sitting with a wince next to his baby cousin. Gently he felt Brian’s forehead and then shook his body. “Bri…Cuz ya gotta wake up now kay?” Kevin said gently.

Brian moaned and opened his eyes slowly squinting. Recognition flooded his gaze as he noticed Kevin in front of him. “Kev?” he croaked weakly. Kevin smiled with a relieved nod.

“Ya Bri, I’m here.” Kevin replied.

Brian leapt at him and held onto his cousin. Kevin winced slightly at the contact to his injured ribs, but it went unnoticed by the rest of the boys. Brian suddenly panicked. ”NICK!” he cried in worry attempting to sit up. Brian knew that Nick would never leave him alone, and if Kevin was with him, where could the other blonde have gone?

Nick jumped up and trotted to the cot. “Still here Bri,” Nick said soothingly.

Brian looked around wildly until he saw Nick, then looked up at his cousin relieved. If Kevin was here, then everything would be alright. Kevin would think of something. That’s when he noticed Kevin’s battered condition. Brian looked Kevin up and down before swallowing weakly. “You look like shit Kev…what the hell happened to you?” Brian croaked.

Nick, Howie, and AJ laughed. “Jerk,” Kevin chuckled playfully. Brian looked over Kevin’s shoulder and saw AJ, and Howie.

“Oh…hey ya’ll,” Brian said confusedly.

Nick looked up at Kevin, bringing back up the topic that Brian had started out on. “Ya Kevvy, what did happen to you?”

AJ sighed shakily and Nick spun to see Howie comforting A.J. “Jay?” Nick asked confused.

“I’m sorry…so sorry Kevin.” AJ murmured miserably.

“We talked about this,” Howie said sternly, “now stop it.”

“Ya AJ, I told you it wasn’t your fault, I swear it’s okay,” Kevin said with a reassuring smile.

AJ nodded and sighed closing his eyes. Nick stared blankly at the trio then narrowed his eyes irritated. “Well for those of us who DON’T know what happened…could you tell the story for our benefit?” Nick snapped.

Kevin heaved a sigh. “It’s a long story,” he mumbled.

“we’ve got plenty of time,” Nick urged insistently.

“Well…” Kevin started, then saw Brian’s eyes close tiredly, then snap back open. He laughed. “okay after Brian’s slept a bit.”

“I’m not,” Brian said interrupting himself in the middle of his sentence with a long yawn, “Sleepy,” he finished.

“Ya right,” AJ laughed. “Sleep Bri just for an hour then we’ll talk.”

Brian yawned again and nodded. “Kay,” he mumbled and fell asleep.

Nick let out a shuddering breath and ran his hands through his wild blonde hair, allowing his fingers to interlace and rest on the back of his head. “I’m glad and not glad you’re here…I’m happy I’m not alone anymore, but you shouldn’t be here” Nick said softly. He felt a hand on his shoulder and he allowed his hands to fall from his head and he looked at his friend who was there.

“No problem Nicky boy! I’d gladly get beat up just to spend the day with you.” AJ joked. Nick laughed for the first time in what he would learn later had been days. “and you shouldn’t be here either.” A.J. continued seriously. That’s when Kevin studied Nick as well.

“You hurt Nick?” he inquired. Nick smiled and shook his head.

“No not at all,” he replied, “everything happened to Brian…not me.”

“From what I’ve been told, you’ve been protecting Brian adamantly…” Kevin said softly, “thank you…and also, you have a story to tell as well when Brian wakes up you know,” Kevin said sternly.

“Ya I know,” Nick sighed running his hands over his face tiredly. Kevin studied him more, then noticed the dark circles under his eyes. Nick yawned and fluttered his eyes to keep them open, staring at the ground.

Kevin smiled. “You should sleep too Nicky…you’ve been through a lot these last couple of days.” Kevin said forcing Nick to one of the cots.

Nick nodded. “Maybe a few minutes won’t do me bad…” he murmured before laying down and closing his eyes. He then felt warm material covering his body.

Nick’s eyes opened to see Howie standing there with a smile. “Since Brian has your jacket, I noticed, you can have mine,” Howie said, “I’m wearing a long sleeved shirt, and you’re not so I will be plenty warm without it,” Howie continued cutting off Nick’s protest.

Nick grinned then closed his eyes. “Thanks D,” he whispered before Nick finally drifted off to sleep and got the rest he had been craving but deprived himself of for many days.