- Text Size +
TROUBLE CHAPTER 5

Kevin took a deep breath watching his youngest fall asleep quickly, and his baby cousin sleep fitfully. Concerned, Kevin looked at his cousin closer. He mumbled incoherently, and tossed fitfully shivering against false cold underneath Nick’s own jacket. Kevin furrowed his brow in concern, and reached out a hand to calm Brian. He placed his larger hand on Brian’s forehead feeling the heat radiate from his younger cousin. He gasped in obvious shock.

“What?” Howie asked worriedly looking up from where he was laying his own jacket on Nick’s sleeping form.

“Nothing, Brian has a really high temperature is all.” Kevin said. AJ looked up and noticed Brian’s flushed face, and quickly pulled off his sweatshirt. Then AJ gripped one of the sleeves to his black t-shirt and ripped it off.

“What are you doing Aje?” Howie asked. AJ walked to the sink and turned on the faucet.

“Helpin’ with his fever,” AJ mumbled. He rinsed the sleeve in the cool water that came from the tap. He wrung out the sleeve, and put it over Brian’s forehead. The coolness of the makeshift rag seemed to soothe Brian a bit and he stopped tossing so much.

Kevin sighed in relief. “I don’t know what they drugged him with…but it sure is screwin him up,” he said angrily.

The three sat in silence for a moment. Then Kevin yawned wincing at the pain it caused his jaw and rubbed at his eyes.

“Kev…maybe you should lie down,” AJ suggested timidly.

“A.J.’s right Kev,” Howie agreed quickly, “I’ll watch over Brian. You lay down.”

Kevin smiled at AJ and Howie before standing up, stretching then wincing. He patted AJ on the shoulder.

“You’re right…I think I will lie down…I’m pretty sore,” Kevin said gripping his midsection before gingerly making his way over to another cot to lay down. “Wake me up if Brian gets worse,” he murmured sleepily. Kevin closed his eyes in pain but didn’t try and fall asleep. ‘Gosh my ribs hurt,’ he thought to himself taking deep breaths.

AJ and Howie started talking about nothing to each other to pass the time. Finally, an hour later, they heard a moan of discomfort come from Brian’s cot. Howie and AJ looked at each other before AJ went to Brian’s cot and Howie went to get Kevin.

“Brian?” AJ asked gently.

“Ungh…” Brian whined weakly opening his eyes, then wincing and throwing his arm over his eyes again. AJ smiled.

“Well I guess you’re awake…how do you feel?” AJ asked.

“Like a semi hit me,” Brian said softly, and it was muffled by his arm over his eyes. AJ chuckled again.

“But other than that?” AJ joked.

Brian gave him a thumbs up with the arm that wasn’t over his face. “Peachy,” Brian replied sarcastically. AJ laughed. Kevin approached.

“How you doin’ Brian?” he asked.

“Better,” Brian answered, pulling his arm away from his eyes, “my head hurts a bit though.”

“That’s okay just rest some more,” Kevin replied. He started to limp back over to his own cot when he heard his cousin’s small voice ask,

“Where’s Nick?”

Kevin turned and smiled at Brian’s concern. “He’s in the cot next to you sleeping. He was really worn out.”

“Hey no kidding he’s tired,” Brian said softly, “I don’t think he slept once since we’ve been here…”

“What?!” Kevin exclaimed in shock, “but you both were gone for more than 3 days!” Brian nodded.

“I know…but he spent all the time with me making sure I was okay. I-I was very frightened when we were first here and delirious…I made him promise to stay with me, so he did…he’s so selfless sometimes…” Brian said softly. Kevin looked at the young blonde dozing peacefully and smiled.

“Ya, Nick is selfless…and I know for a fact, he would do it for any one of us in a heartbeat.”

Nick snored softly, his breathing even. He rested comfortably on the cot that he had been instructed to lie upon.

Around four hours later, AJ and Howie were amusing themselves telling stories and jokes. Just trying to pass the time. “…Ya so then she was like, No Howie, I-” Howie’s story was cut short as the door to their cell clanged open and Ace stepped inside. Nick’s eyes shot open and he leapt to his feet quickly standing in front of his friends, wiping the sleep from his eyes.

Ace smirked. “Hello BOY,” he growled. Nick narrowed his eyes and gave Ace a cold glare. “Having a pleasant stay?” Ace asked mockingly.

Nick growled and started towards Ace before Howie and AJ grabbed onto his arm and restrained Nick. Nick struggled. “You asshole,” Nick growled angrily. Ace laughed amusedly. “Viper wishes your presence right now.” He ordered. Three loud gasps were heard as the name of the man from Nick’s past was mentioned.

“Hell no!” AJ growled, “he ain’t goin no where.” Howie nodded in agreement. They were ready to fight until they heard a soft voice from behind say,

“Alright then I will go with you.” AJ turned around and shot a horrified look to the voice which belonged to Nick.

“NO WAY!” AJ yelled. Nick smiled reassuringly.

“I’ll be fine! I assure you I’ll be back in no time.” Nick stated confidently walking past his friends and to Ace.

“Good boy,” Ace patronized ruffling Nick’s hair. Nick snarled at the man before Ace opened the door to the cell and gesturing Nick through it. “Come along,” Ace ordered. Nick hesitated, then turned and shooting a tired, but reassuring smile at his friends, followed Ace out the door, leaving the boys to be worried.

~*~*


Nick and Ace walked along the corridor with all the different doors on it, Ace gripping Nick’s arm painfully. They walked in silence, Nick staring at the ground, and Ace looking straight ahead. Nick heaved a sigh. “So what’s the deal?” he asked finally.

Ace smiled cruelly. “You shall see Nicky boy you shall see,” he said cheerfully. Nick stopped walking, causing Ace to stumble. Ace turned and growled at Nick.

“Let the others go…they have nothing to do with this,” Nick commanded firmly. Ace smiled cruelly once again.

“Well that’s up to Viper isn’t it?” Ace replied, “But I wouldn’t hold your breath on that one.”

Nick sighed frustrated and continued on his way with Ace knowing better than to oppose their forces. Finally, Ace led Nick to a large oak double door. Ace stopped and knocked before a gruff “Come in,” was heard.

Ace opened the door, and grabbed Nick by the arm dragging him inside throwing the younger one into the room. Nick stumbled to catch himself and rubbed his arm where Ace had grabbed him roughly.

Nick looked around the room he was in. It was furnished with a large desk in the middle of the room, and a really large comfortable looking chair in the corner of the room. The curtains, which were drawn closed, were scarlet in color and the floors were plain wood. It was a simple room, but quaint at the same time.

“Hello Nicky,” Viper said almost kindly. Nick’s eyes narrowed.

“I would appreciate it if you would NOT call me Nicky.” Nick growled. Viper frowned.

“Very well Nick…are you ready to know why you’re here?”

“Yes.”

“It’s time for a mission Nick,”

“I Don’t do missions anymore,” Nick growled clenching his fists.

“Oh? Well I guess I’ll have Ace tell that to your friends when he kills them since you didn’t protect them.” Viper snapped irritably.

Nick paled. “Leave them alone,” he whispered, “I’ll do what you want.” Nick silently seethed as he added a ‘For now anyways,’ to himself.

“GOOD!” Viper said cheerfully. “Let’s go and find out your mission today!” Viper got up to leave the room, with Nick following closely behind his head hanging in defeat.