- Text Size +
TROUBLE CHAPTER 6

Nick followed Viper unwillingly down the corridor. Nick walked slowly, and was thinking quickly of something he could do to get out of this. Finally, seeing no way out, Nick spoke. “What’s it to be Viper? Physical or mental mission?”

Viper didn’t turn to look at Nick at all as he responded coldly, “Physical, and we’ve finally reached our destination.” Viper turned to a white door at the end of the hallway, it’s outline barely visible on the white walls. “Here we are Nicky, please step inside,” Viper said pleasantly. Nick glared at Viper.

Nick stepped inside the room and into what appeared to be a bright white arena. The combination of the bright lights and pure white surroundings, was too much for Nick’s eyes and he stood in the doorway for a couple of seconds before Viper pushed Nick inside roughly. Then Viper turned and left the arena, slamming the door behind him.

Nick turned from glaring at Viper to taking a closer look at the arena. It was a circular shape, and had lines of doorways in front and to the side of where he stood. Looking up, Nick saw a ledge from which there were more doorways, seats, and a…camera? Nick looked over the arena one more waiting patiently before one of the doors on the top opened. In walked Ace, Viper and two other guards. Nick glared up at them.

“What’s the mission?” he asked impatiently. Viper smiled down at him.

“So to the point Nickolas…you really should be more diplomatic,” Viper teased. At Nick’s annoyed glare, Viper sighed, “Mission one: defeat all three of my gang members in a fight and you win.”

“That’s too easy for you Viper, what’s the catch?” Nick snapped.

“You were always the smart one Nicky boy,” Viper said grinning, “the challenge is you have to fight them,” he continued as the doors around Nick opened, revealing three men, “all at once and they have weapons...you don’t.”

Nick backed away from the gang members, appraising them, and observed their weapons. The first member wasn’t too tall…around 5’10”, yet muscular. He had a long pink scar underneath his right eye and his teeth were yellow and crooked. His weapon was a large chain that he swung around menacingly.

The second member was taller than the first. He was around 6’4”, with little to no muscle in his legs, but plenty on his arms. His hair was black and spiked, while his blue eyes would have made his face handsome, had they not held that deathly gleam in them. His weapon of choice was a large lead pipe, that he beat into the opposite hand while grinning sadistically.

The third member, was just about Nick’s size and build. His face looked as if it hadn’t been clean shaved for a few days, and his eyes were hidden by dark sunglasses on his face. This member’s weapon of choice was a large wooden switch, that he held in his crossed arms.

Nick ground his teeth in frustration and mild apprehension, before composing himself and looking up at Viper. “Wh…who?” he asked.

“Who what?” Viper asked innocently.

“Who am I fighting for,” Nick growled.

“Oh, the tattooed one,” Viper replied waving his hand in dismissal.

“He’s got a name,” Nick snapped, “it’s A.J. and what’s the camera for?”

“I set up a T.V. in your cell so the boys could watch this,” Viper replied, a hint of a smile on his face.

“Liar,” Nick replied glancing nervously at the gang members as Viper laughed.

“Ya, and? It’s none of your business why I want the camera okay?” Viper snapped.

“Fine then,” Nick said with a curt nod. Nick didn’t have time to revel on the meaning behind the camera before the gang members launched themselves at Nick, the first catching Nick in the side of the head with his chain, the second hitting Nick in the ribs with his lead pipe, and the third hitting nick across the back with his switch.

Nick screamed out in pain before hauling himself up and wiping the blood from his face. Nick looked at the back of his hand, smeared in blood, his blood, and took a shaky breath. ‘Well here goes nothing,’ Nick thought glaring at the other members before eliciting a loud war-like cry, and launching himself at the other members…

~*~*
Back in the boy’s cell they were startled when six guards entered moments after Nick was taken away. The boys tensed as the men approached the cot that they boys were hovering around. “Good afternoon boys,” one of the guards addressed looking pleased with himself. None of the boys answered and the guard continued. “I have orders from my master Viper that you are to be put into those manacles on the wall.” The boys all tensed at this news but still said and did nothing. “So we can do this the easy way, and you can voluntarily walk to the manacles and allow us to fasten them, or you can be difficult and we’ll force you anyway. It’s your decision. Make it quickly.”

The boys looked at each other for many moments, uncertainty playing across all of their faces. Surprisingly, it was A.J. who stood first walking over to the manacles, allowing them to close. Howie walked over a second later and stood next to A.J., offering a reassuring smile. Kevin looked up at the guards. “Must Brian be moved?” he pleaded softly, “he can’t even stand on his own.”

The guard snorted. “Neither could you earlier,” the guard returned earning a glare from Kevin, “and he wont’ be standing on his own, the manacles will hold him up.” The guard laughed cruelly as Kevin growled and made to protest.

“Kev!” Brian hissed, “Don’t. Just help me stand and get over there. It’ll be fine. I’m going one way or another and I’d rather you not get hurt again.”

Kevin sighed and helped his cousin sit up and gather himself to his feet. Brian suppressed a groan and winced wearily before Kevin helped him to the wall. Brain raised his hands as Kevin steadied him, and allowed the manacles to click in place. Brian smiled at his cousin in assurance. Kevin managed to smile back and patted the side of Brian’s face affectionately before allowing himself to be chained in as well. Without Kevin’s support, Brian sagged in the manacles, feeling the metal cut his skin.

“Glad you were so sensible,” the guard taunted the boys also patting the side of Brian’s face. Brian recoiled and glared at the guard as Kevin made an angry noise of protest. The guard then retreated from the cell leaving the boys alone. They all shifted uncomfortably as time passed.

“I hope Nick’s okay,” Brian mumbled finally voicing all the rest of the boys’ thoughts as he sagged in his manacles. Silent nods answered in agreement.

Suddenly, the door to their cell was thrown open and a blonde figure was tossed carelessly in. The figure stumbled from the force a few steps before spinning around and faced the guard who shoved him, raising his blood spattered fists into the air. “NICK!” the other boys cried out in horror. Nick seemed to ignore them.

The guard who had tossed Nick inside laughed at his weakened, shaking stance. “You know you’re in no condition to fight me right now,” he challenged, “but if you fancy a fight, we can fight right now.”

Nick wiped the blood from his bruised lips, and replied just as coldly, “Me ‘fancying a fight’ all depends on if you’re leaving them alone,” he said gesturing to the rest of his friends behind him.

“Enough,” A cold voice commanded from the doorway. The guard stiffened then backed away submissively. Viper entered the cell looking around. Nick’s muscles tensed even more as Viper stopped when he was almost chest to chest with Nick. “Well done Nicky,” Viper congratulated Nick reaching out to put his hand on Nick’s shoulder. Nick tensed and recoiled. Viper frowned. “is that any way to show respect to your master Nickolas?”

“You. Are. Not. My. Master,” Nick growled through his clenched teeth.

“Respect is the law of the land and expedient to your survival young Nicky. And your friend’s survival. Bear that in mind when you speak to me thus in the future.”

Nick’s jaw clenched at Viepr’s threat and his eyes followed the man’s move to the back wall. Nick choked seeing his friends in their positions. “Don’t you like my wall decorations Nicky?” Viper asked with a smile.

Nick’s eyes were blazing as he glared into Viper’s eyes. “Are you guys okay?” he asked quietly, maintaining eye contact with Viper and ignoring the sadistic man’s question.

“We’re fine for now,” Kevin replied just as quietly.

Nick nodded in their direction before taking a weak shaking step forward. “Release them Viper,” Nick demanded.

“Now, now Nick, I thought that perhaps they were curious as to why they’re here,” Viper drawled smiling when Nick’s face bore a panicked expression, “I know that they remember me from your first meeting…but my guess is that you have not told them why you were with me that night.”

Nick stared blankly at Viper. “Is THAT what this is all about?” Nick whispered incredulously.

“Nick, what is he talking about?” Brian inquired softly.

Viper grinned back at Brian. “Just as I thought. You never told them did you?”

Nick looked at his feet, the silence deafening him. He could feel the intense stares of his friends boring holes into him. “No,” Nick agreed.

“Well then why don’t I tell them Nick?” Viper declared turning to face the boys. “Nick here knew me…he knew me very well. He was afraid of me because I gave just cause. I was his master…and he was my apprentice.”

The boys had been watching Viper as he spoke with curiosity, but at this new revelation their eyes snapped back to Nick’s face noting how miserable he looked. “THAT, was a long time ago,” Nick whispered.

Viper approached nick, circling him slowly. “Yes, but you belong to me Nick, you always will,” Viper replied reaching once again to rest his hand on Nick’s shoulder. Viper noted with satisfaction that Nick didn’t flinch away this time. Nick’s gaze was on the floor as he felt tear prick his eyes in despair. His friends would not want anything to do with him now.

“NICK belongs to no one,” Brian suddenly snapped at Viper. Nick raised his eyes, his stare blank and shrugged Viper’s hand off his shoulder.

Nick continued to stare emotionlessly as Viper crossed to Brian angrily. Viper reached back and backhanded Brian sharply. Brian yelped in surprise as Kevin and A.J. lunged in their chains. Viper did not look either one in the eye. “You remember what happened last time Mr. McLean,” Viper snapped impatiently, “are you willing to chance that again?” A.J. paled considerably and fell silent turning his head away in shame. Kevin fixed him with a sympathetic, comforting glance.

Nick had stepped forward when Viper had assaulted Brian but Viper halted him with one dangerous look. Viper turned his attention back to Brian as he settled a hand on each side of the smaller male’s face. “As for your comment Mr. Littrell,” Viper sneered at Brian who was still wincing from the blow, “he was MINE but is now somewhat disobedient…all ruined because you all kept him away from my training and let him think for himself!”

Nick had been listening while studying A.J.’s now spacey stare and reminded himself to ask A.J. later about what Viper meant. Nick forced all of his strength into his voice turning back to Viper who was inches from Brian’s face, the blonde cowering back against the wall. “DON’T, do that again,” Nick growled clenching his fist as he saw the angry red handprint on Brian’s face.

Viper turned back to Nick before striding to the blonde boy’s side and backhanding him as well. Nick stumbled backwards and fell onto his back. He glared up at Viper. “We’ll see if we can’t just use your friends to ‘beat’ the respect back into you,” Viper declared sounding disappointed with Nick.

Nick wiped at his newly split lip. “Leave them alone. I’ll submit to you if you leave them alone,” he whispered.

Kevin, Howie, and Brian all made sounds of protest as A.J. stared at Nick in horror. Nick ignored them. “Now where’s the fun in that Nicky? You won’t be genuinely submitting to me. And also, these boys have wronged me and they shall pay dearly.”

“Because *I* decided to go with them? They had NO idea what they were doing…” Nick argued.

“Still would have done it…especially knowing now,” Kevin muttered angrily as Howie, Brian, and A.J. all nodded in agreement.”

Viper shot them all a nasty look before turning back to Nick. “You will learn respect Nick, I swear it.”

Viper then moved toward the exit. Nick glanced at his friends before standing shakily. “Release them from the manacles Viper,” Nick demanded, then seeing Brian’s sweaty strained face, added a “please.” To the end of it. Nick was loathe to beg anything of Viper, but Nick wanted Brian released so that he could lay back down.

Viper turned. “Very well Nick, but only if you address me properly,” Viper returned.

Nick swallowed the bile that rose in this throat as he addressed Viper the way he preferred. “Please…master,” Nick managed to choke the disgusting word, “please release my friends from the manacles.” Nick could feel the horrified gazes of his friends boring into his back. Nick’s gaze remained submissively on the ground.

Viper grinned. “That’s better Nicky,” Viper said pulling an electric box from his coat. He pressed a button on the top as all of the manacles released simultaneously. Kevin jumped out as soon as he was released and caught Brian across the chest before his younger cousin could fall to the ground. Kevin pulled him into his arms and crossed to a cot on the other side of their cell to lay down again as Viper left with the guards shooting a “You better rest Nicky, you’ll be busy. See you soon.” The door slammed loudly.

Nick glared after Viper before his body remembered all he had put it through. His legs began to quake and Nick began to sway as his adrenaline gave out. Finally, he collapsed onto his hands and knees panting.

“Nick!” Kevin exclaimed rushing to Nick’s side. Nick ground his teeth, pain obvious.

“I’m fine,” he managed. A.J. approached also.

“Like hell you’re fine Nick!” A.J. exclaimed angrily. Kevin helped Nick to his feet, and let Nick lean on him for support. Kevin got him to one of the cots and let him lay down slowly, listening to Nick’s soft gasps and whimpers of agony. Finally, Nick’s head hit the cot, and he draped his right arm over his midsection weakly, wincing.

The cot Nick w as on touched heads with Brian’s. Brian leaned up and touched the top of Nick’s head causing the blonde to look at Brian. As Kevin went to get some water to clean Nick up, Brian pale faced and trembling studied Nick carefully. “N…Nick are you okay?” he asked looking Nick over.

Nick groaned and forced a smile. “Sure Frick, I’ll be fine,” he said sounding exhausted. Then Nick frowned. “Are you alright? Viper hits pretty hard.”

“I’m just a little dizzy,” Brian replied ignoring the welt on his cheek and smiling back at Nick, “I’m fine.”

Kevin returned then, and bent over to get a good look at Nick’s injuries. He started at Nick’s face which had a large gash across his right eye. His right eye was also slightly swollen and had a purplish tint to it. His lip was cut open and had blood smeared to his chin which also had a nice sized bruise on it. Blood from the gash on his right eye had dripped down the side of Nick’s face. Nick’s arms that were exposed from his ripped t-shirt held many tiny bruises and cuts all the way up to his biceps before his arms disappeared into his t-shirt. Nick’s pants covered whatever happened to his legs, but small rips in the pant’s legs revealed large welts that were bleeding freely. Nicks’ groan brought Kevin back from his amazement.

“Ni…Nick,” Kevin choked, “I need to see your back…can I remove your shirt?”

“Sure,” Nick mumbled sleepily, “whatever,”

“Hey don’t sleep on me,” Kevin said sternly, “I don’t know if you may have a concussion or something. Did you hit your head?”

“No,” Nick lied remembering the chain hitting him on the side of his face. .

“Okay then let me look at your back and then you can sleep.” Kevin replied softly.

“Kay,” Nick said. Kevin lifted Nick’s shirt from Nick’s sleeping form. He carefully flipped Nick onto his stomach, and gasped at what he saw.

“Oh my God…” Howie mumbled. Nick’s back held one long welt across his back. Kevin carefully ripped the bottom of his own t-shirt off and soaked it in the water. Then, he rinsed out the wounds on Nick’s back, wincing when Nick would whimper in pain. Kevin flipped Nick over and choked in shock at the large bruise on Nick’s stomach.

“Jesus…” A.J. mumbled. Kevin carefully cleaned all of Nick’s cuts and then wrapped his ribs as best he could before he leaned over Nick.

“Nick…Nicky….Frack…wake up.” Kevin said trying to rouse Nick. Nick’s eyes fluttered and he opened his eyes.

“Kev?” he asked dazedly, before attempting to sit up.

“Lay down Nick!” Kevin ordered frantically trying to push him back down. Nick waved him off.

“I’m fine…just cuts and bruises, and maybe a couple of bruised ribs...” Nick voiced nonchalantly.

“JUST?!” A.J. replied incredulously.

Nick smiled and nodded. “I’ve had worse from Viper Aje,” he said calmly. A.J. shut up. “I’ll be fine by tomorrow’s missio - ouw hey Kev!” Nick said swatting away Kevin’s intruding hand that had touched his ribs.

“What did you say?” Kevin demanded wide eyed.

“I said I’d be fine by tomorrow’s mission,” Nick repeated patiently.

“I was hoping I heard wrong,” Kevin groaned. He didn’t know what a “mission” consisted of, but seeing the condition Nick had returned in, he concluded that that’s what a mission did.

“What do you mean ‘tomorrow’s mission’?” Brian asked angrily.

Nick sighed clearly, his patience running thin. “Whenever Viper feels like it, I have to do a mission. These missions can be physical or mental missions and can occur frequently or sporadically, depending on Viper’s mood,” Nick explained. “Each time I fight to protect another person…if I fail, then that person will be tortured…like today I fought for A.J.” Nick paused to look at A.J.’s who’s face paled upon hearing his name. “Don’t worry Jay, I always win,” Nick said with a wink attempting to lighten the mood. He failed.

The boys had mixed looks of fear, shock, and horror written into their features. Howie spoke. “What happens if you can’t compete?” he asked in a tiny voice.

“Then someone has to compete for me, or I forfeit and one of you will die,” Nick replied, and then looked at the faces of his friends. “DON’T get any ideas,” Nick scolded wincing and holding his ribs, “you have no idea what you’re up against.

“But Nick,” Brian began in a small voice.

“No,” Nick replied just as firmly.

“But Nick,” Kevin tried again.

“No Kev,” Nick said stubbornly shaking his head, “I will do this on my own.”

Kevin was about to argue when the door to their cell was opened.