- Text Size +
TROUBLE CH. 7

The door to their cell was opened. And in walked Ace, accompanied by six guards. Nick’s eyes shot open and he leapt to his feet, wincing and holding his midsection gingerly. Nick stood protectively in front of his band mates who were standing around Brian as he was too weak to protect himself. Ace frowned at Nick and the others. “Step aside,” he ordered. No one moved. “Stand back,” Ace tried again, “we only want the Latino one.”

The others glanced at Howie, who paled in terror, and Kevin instinctively stepped in front of Howie slightly shielding him from view. Howie shot Kevin a grateful look. Nick, on the other hand, didn’t look back, only smirked at Ace and met his eye. “Yeah, right,” Nick snorted, “like THAT’S gonna happen.”

Ace growled. “You need a lesson in respect boy. Something I will be DAMN excited to get to teach you,” Ace snarled in Nick’s face. Nick pretended to yawn as if he was bored. Ace went red in the face. “Take him, that is your mission” he ordered to the rest of the guards in a quiet, dangerous voice, referring to Howie, then turned and left the cell.

Ace’s guards entered the room and approached Nick’s friends. Nick growled and jumped in between Ace’s guards and his friends. “Get. Back.” Nick ordered in a low growl, determined to protect them.

The guards flinched visibly, knowing that Nick was a legend but retorted, “Let’s see you make us.”

Nick stepped toward them, his trademark smirk on his face, and his fists clenched before he stopped himself. Nick hesitated, relaxing his fists in sudden realization. ‘I can’t show my friends this…it will scare them!’ Nick thought desperately.

Nick didn’t have time to think about it much more before two of the guards jumped at Nick. Nick’s eyes flashed and a small cocky smile donned his face again. He sidestepped all of the guards, before knocking the first’s legs out from underneath him. The guard fell to the ground with a loud grunt. Then Nick grabbed the second’s throat and kneed the guard in the stomach, before turning the guard around and striking the guards pressure point in his neck. The guard yelped and fell to the ground unmoving. Nick went back to the first guard and started to do the same.

The rest of the boys turned and watched in absolute shock before the remaining guards remembered why they were there and attacked the rest of the boys. A.J. was the first to return to his senses and jumped the first guard that was about to attack Brian. He tackled the guard to the ground and started beating his face repeatedly.

Howie also reluctantly started to fight the other guard but Howie mostly just blocked punches and kicks and delivered very few of his own. Kevin on the other hand was using his rage of their situation to his advantage, and was attacking his guard fiercely.

A.J. finally knocked the other guard out, then turned to Brian who smiled weakly at him showing him he was okay. A.J. nodded at him with a small smile before the left over guard came up behind A.J.

“AJE!” Brian cried, “Look out!” A.J. turned just in time for the guard to grab A.J. by the throat, and lift him off the ground. A.J. elicited a shocked gasp. Much to Brian’s horror, the guard slammed A.J. against the wall, holding him there firmly by his throat. The guard was much larger than A.J. and the guard had no problems holding him a few feet from the ground with one hand. “A.J.!!!” Brian cried out again moving to rise. He had no strength to do so and fell to the cot again crying out in dismay.

A.J. grabbed the guard’s wrist as he tried desperately to pry the larger man’s fingers from around his throat. A.J. kicked out and struggled in vain as his eyes bugged out of their sockets. He gagged and coughed as the guard cut off his air supply. When A.J. found he could not pry the larger man’s fingers from his throat, he groped at the air, trying to find some relief in striking the man. He was not successful in hitting the guard at all.

Meanwhile, at Brian’s terror filled yell, Howie had looked up and his eyes shot open with terror. “A.J.!” He yelled fearing for his friend who was quickly turning red in the face. Howie discontinued holding back on the man he was fighting and curled his hand into a fist. “I don’t have time for this…” he growled before grabbing the guard by his shirt and pulling back his fist. “Uh…Sorry…” Howie added as he brought his fist to connect with the guards face. The force of the blow knocked the guard out quickly before Howie ran towards the guard meaning to knock him over and off of A.J.

As Howie approached the guard turned and smiled sadistically. “Uh uh uhhhh,” the guard scolded and squeezed harder causing A.J. to gag and look pleadingly at Howie for help. “I’ll snap his neck if you move,” the guard threatened. A.J.’s mouth moved as if he were trying to speak, but no sound came out. As Howie watched helplessly, tears began to leak from the corners of A.J.’s eyes.

“Let go,” Howie pleaded, his heart pounding, “you’re killing him…”

“Well that’s the point,” the guard said with an evil laugh. “Surrender yourself and I will.” Howie felt his blood run cold.

“No…” A.J. forced himself to croak. Howie realized A.J. had little time left.

“FINE. Drop A.J. and I’m all yours,” Howie declared. The guard grinned and squeezed A.J. again.

“I lied. Killing him will be fun, and I don’t need you to surrender, I’ll just take you anyways.”

A.J. was relieved that Howie would not be giving himself up, but had little time to think about it in his current situation. Howie shook his head in dismay.

“LET GO!” he screamed. The guard ignored Howie.

Nick heard the commotion and looked up from where he had knocked another guard unconscious. He turned and saw A.J.’s predicament and gasped. Clenching his fists in anger, Nick, reached down and searched the unconscious guard for a weapon. Finally, he found a gun on one of them. Nick snorted. ‘Stupid guards,’ he thought disgustingly to himself. He hesitated not wanting to pick it up until he heard the guard’s reply to Howie’s plea. And Howie’s terror filled scream.

Nick picked up the gun and raised it in line to the guard. “DROP. HIM.” He roared holding the gun in trembling hands trained on the guard. All fighting ceased and everything in the cell went dead silent, each man in the cell waited to see what events would occur between Nick and the guard.

The guard turned slowly and looked at the gun trained on him, his eyes opened in surprise. He still held A.J. against the wall and A.J. looked at Nick weakly using most of his strength and air to croak out, “Ni…ck…”

Nick turned and looked at A.J. sending him a reassuring look that A.J. never saw as his eyes closed slowly. As Nick looked on in horror, A.J.’s hand began to slowly slip away from the guard’s hand around his throat as he lost energy and started to lose his battle with consciousness. His eyes snapped open and then drooped shut again. A.J. repeated this process in his stubborn attempt to stay awake…and alive. Nick watched in horror.

“NOW!” Nick screamed again frantically pulling off the safety of the gun after a moment’s silence, not able to take the silence in the room. The guard looked around and saw all of his guards either unconscious, or just waking from unconsciousness on the floor at the feet of the Boys. He knew he was outnumbered.

“Fine,” the guard said quietly, “let us leave, give me the gun, and I won’t kill him.”

“Get out,” Nick agreed without hesitation. The guard raised his arms in defeat, allowing A.J. to slide to the ground coughing and gagging. Nick followed his movements to the door as the guard roused his comrades and moved out. Nick tossed him the gun. “Next time don’t be so fucking stupid and carry a gun…if you want to survive here, you shouldn’t be so stupid,” Nick snapped. The guard glared angrily and left the cell slamming the door.

Howie was already at A.J.’s side when Nick turned back. Howie touched A.J.’s arm and laid the other across his back, as his best friend gasped lungful after lungfull of air into his deflated lungs coughing and trembling. “Breathe Alex…” Howie said gently, his voice cracking and his own body trembling.

A.J. smiled visibly, since Howie was the only one who could ever get away with calling A.J. “Alex”. “Breathe ‘Jay calm down, take slow breaths,” Howie soothed rubbing small circles on A.J.’s back in hopes of calming the young rebel.

A.J. lay on his stomach shaking visibly and taking deep breaths, coughing every couple of seconds. “I…I’m alright…” he assured his best friend finally who was pale in the face. Howie nodded and managed a small smile. A.J. slowly had his breathing returning to somewhat normal.

Kevin had gone over to check on his cousin who waved him off insisting he was fine, and they hadn’t even come near him. Kevin still felt Brian’s forehead. “Your fever is still high,” he commented. Brian ignored him and closed his eyes.

Nick walked over to another cot and sat down on it. ‘That was too close,’ he thought closing his eyes, ‘Way too close…I have got to keep them safe…’ Nick took a shaky breath and ran his trembling, slender fingers through his hair with a shaky hand.

“N…Nicky?” Nick heard A.J. croak from the floor.

Nick composed himself as best he could and took a deep breath. He forced a smile, and walked to A.J., crouching down. “Hmm?” he answered.

“Th…Thank you,” A.J. whispered still panting. His voice showed the fear he felt as he rubbed at the bruises that were forming around this throat. Nick smiled and touched his arm.

“Don’t mention it ‘Jay…you okay?” Nick asked concerned. Nick could already see the bruises forming on A.J.’s neck as A.J. rubbed the spot wincing in pain. Nick winced with A.J.

“Ya…I think so” A.J. said before attempting to stand shakily. Nick helped A.J. over to a cot and let him lay down.

“Lay down A.J. you’ll be fine just rest.” Nick said concerned. A.J. nodded.

“Thanks” he replied. Nick smiled and watched Howie sit next to him still pale and shaking. A.J. smiled at Howie.

“I’m fine ‘D honestly!” he assured his friend in a croaking voice. But A.J. could not stop trembling himself. Howie smiled and reached out grasping A.J.’s trembling hand, giving it a friendly squeeze. A.J. smiled and calmed before he recalled what Howie had done as he was dying against the wall. “And what the hell were you thinking giving yourself up?!”

“Hush A.J., it doesn’t matter now,” Kevin shot back from across the cell before fixing Howie with a “He’s right” look.

Nick watched the scene in pleasure. He was glad A.J. was safe, but he knew that this peace would only last for a short time.

“Nick,” Kevin’s voice interrupted Nick’s thoughts sounding troubled. Nick sighed knowing why Kevin wanted to talk to him. Cursing softly to himself, Nick forced a smile, and turned to face Kevin who was pale and wide eyed.

“Yes?” he answered nonchalantly and sheepishly all at once.

“Wher…Where uhm…well…” Kevin stuttered.

A.J. beat him to it. “Kev wants to know where you learned your ass kickin' skills Nick,” A.J. blurted out bluntly, his voice muffled because of the arm draped over his eyes to prevent his lack of oxygen induced headache from worsening from the terrible lighting of the cell.

“Ya…erm…where did you learn…that?” Kevin asked too shaken up to comment on A.J.’s choice of vocabulary.

Nick sighed. “You learned today that I was once Viper’s apprentice…but you only know half of the story…” Nick whispered in shame, “Now you need to know some more of it…”.

They were silent and Nick took that as a green light. Nick sighed. “The first night we met…” Nick trailed off and the rest of the boys nodded encouraging him to continue. “It was about that…” Nick said detached.

**FLASH**

Twelve year old Nick ran through the rain crying. The brick buildings next to the sidewalk passed by in a colorful blur as he ran as quickly as possible.

Nick’s hair stuck to his face from the rain that was dribbling from the sky onto his shivering body, and his oversized t-shirt hung loosely on his thin frame sticking to his back in some places. His usually immaculate jeans were now streaked with dirt, and blood showed through ah ole in his jeans from a wound on his right knee.

Nick ran faster down the sidewalk seemingly being chased by something. His black and white tennis shoes made a sloshing noise from all of the water that had seeped through them.

Nick stopped a moment later, his lungs about to burst, and hunched over with his hands on his knees. He panted from his exertion, as he turned his terror-filled blue eyes from the direction he came. He gasped when he looked behind him and saw what he was running from, Mickey aged fifteen.

Mickey smirked as he walked towards him. “Well, well, well Carter,” he drawled as he glared at Nick’s trembling form, “are you done running you little baby?”

Nick gulped and didn’t answer. Mickey glared down at Nick and picked the small boy up by his shirt. Mickey slammed Nick’s smaller frame against the nearest building’s wall and grinned maliciously when Nick gave a grunt of pain.

Nick opened his eyes and looked around desperately for any type of help. He saw none. He whimpered in fear and looked back at Mickey as he said, “Looks like I’ma have some fun tonight!” Mickey raised his fist preparing to send it crashing down on Nick’s face. Nick whimpered again and clenched his eyes tightly shut.

Just as Mickey’s hand was about to hit Nick in the face, a rough hand lashed out and grabbed Mickey’s wrist. Mickey made an unintelligent noise and looked up into a cold face of a man in his late twenties.

The man had dark hair and light eyes that glittered dangerously. His arms were very toned and his muscles large on his tall body. His overall presence was intimidating, yet very attractive, and his light, cold eyes glared at Mickey as he spoke. “Kid,” he growled, “stop picking on those smaller than you…it’s annoying.”

Mickey gulped and nodded, his eyes wide in terror. “Y…yes sir,” he choked out quickly, deeply embarrassed to be caught terrorizing Nick by an adult.

“Fine, now apologize and go home,” the voice ordered harshly.

“S…s…sorry Carter!” Mickey stammered before turning and running as fast as his long, lanky legs would carry him down the sidewalk.

Nick sighed in relief as he watched Mickey’s retreating back disappear around the corner down the street. Then he turned to the stranger who had helped him and smiled. “Thank you,” he said politely to the stranger.

The stranger gave a rugged grin and patted Nick on the head, ruffling his hair. “No sweat kid, but why you let him pick on you like that? You could kick his ass easily if you wanted to couldn’t you?” The stranger asked.

Nick looked puzzled. “I…I don’t know if I could I’ve never tried,” Nick replied honestly. The stranger laughed, the sound sending chills down Nick’s spine which he wrote off to the cold. The new man looked Nick straight in the eye.

“Well kid, it’s your lucky day, I’m willing to teach you if you want. Meet me at the docks tomorrow at 6pm. I’ll show you how to deal with bullies like that Mickey kid,” the newcomer grinned.

“Really? I’d like that!” Nick responded excitedly.

The stranger chuckled. “What’s your name kid? Or is it kid?”

Nick laughed with him. “No, my name is Nick,” he replied.

“People call me Viper, nice to meet ya,” Viper said extending his hand. Nick took it and shook it.


**FLASH**


“That day,” Nick continue din a steady voice, “I began to learn how to fend off an attacker…Viper was a kind and caring master at first…I do believe he was really rather fond of me…but then he began to teach me …” Nick stopped here not sure if he should continue as it might scare his band mates. He stared at the ground unable to look his friends in the eye.

“How to what Nick?” A.J. urged gently.

Nick sighed, swallowed slowly and closed his eyes. “How to be lethal,” he whispered.

“To be what?” Kevin asked in shock.

“L-Lethal,” Nick said louder this time but timidly still.


**FLASH AGAIN**


Weeks later, Nick stood in one of the storage buildings at the docks where he met Viper. Viper stationed himself in front of Nick who had himself in a fighting stance, his taped hands in front of his face listening to Viper’s instructions.

“RIGHT!” Viper barked. Nick turned to the right and punched the air. “LEFT!” Nick punched the left side of him. “BACK!” Viper barked again. Nick kicked backwards with force. “FORWARD!” and so on. This continued until Viper yelled “TIME!”

Nick stopped and put his hands on his knees panting in exertion. Viper smiled at his new apprentice. “Tired Nicky?” he joked. Nick grinned slyly.

“No not at all, Master” he lied still panting.

“Good,” Viper said with a nod, hiding his smile “cuz it’s time for our brisk jog!”

Nick groaned. “Now?”

“Now,” Viper ordered smiling knowingly and started at the door, young Nick hot on his heels.

Their training was everyday starting with fighting practice, then a three-mile run. Afterwards, they did other training including sit-ups, agility drills, push-ups, and then more fighting practice. Nick was to call Viper “Master” or “Sir” in respect as his elder and teacher.

This day, however, when they returned from their three-mile jog, there was a tall, intimidating man older than Viper there. Nick paid the new guy no mind and fetched himself a bottle of water. Viper and the man talked for a moment before the new man laughed loudly and turned to look at Nick.

Nick shrugged it off and set about to do his push-ups and agility drills. Just as he finished his push-ups, Viper came over to Nick and stooped down. “You see that man over there? His name is Ace…I want you to fight him,” Viper instructed.

Nick’s jaw dropped. “Me? Fight him? He’s huge…he’ll kill me!” Nick exclaimed.

“No Nicky you can handle him I guarantee it. You just have to concentrate.” Viper assured him.

“Alright I’ll try.” Nick agreed hesitantly.

“Good boy,” Viper murmured ruffling his hair fondly before turning to Ace, “alright Ace! Here ya go!”

Ace was huge. His arms were the size of three of Nick’s arms put together and his legs were larger. Ace wore no shirt and you could see how strong his stomach and chest were as his muscles twitched underneath his flesh. Ace made a fist, his knuckles popping loudly as he surveyed Nick. Nick winced and Ace glared down at Nick. The look sent violent chills down Nicks’ spine.

“FIGHT!” Viper suddenly yelled.

Ace sprung at Nick who dodged easily. Ace stumbled for a second before whirling around quickly and hurling his larger body at Nick. Nick readied himself, crouched down and knocked Ace’s feet out from under him.

Ace fell with a loud grunt, and Nick sprang towards him, his leg outstretched to kick his chest. Ace rolled out of the way as Nick landed and Ace lashed out, his foot connecting with Nick’s jaw.

Nick gave a startled cry as he staggered backwards, and Ace struck Nick across the face, causing Nick to fall onto his back. Nick jumped up quickly and then swung his own leg and connected it with Ace’s stomach. The air rushed quickly from Ace’s lungs like that of a deflating balloon.

Ace retaliated with a strong kick to the back of Nick’s head. Nick stiffened and crumpled to the ground with a soft grunt, seeing stars.

Ace stood and approached Nick panting, but grinning cockily. “He ain’t no different than the others Viper, I kicked his ass easily…he’s just a weak boy like the rest,” Ace said before laughing.

Viper didn’t join his laugh just stared at Nick intensely as something in Nick snapped on hearing those words. With a sudden cry of rage, Nick jumped up and kicked Ace in the face. Nick continued by swinging his elbow into Ace’s chest, causing Ace to gasp in pain only to be sent crashing to the ground as Nick’s strong kick to Ace’s stomach caused Ace to stumble backwards onto his back. Nick gave a final cry and leapt at Ace’s fallen form fist at the ready.

“Stop.” Viper’s order was quiet but Nick heard it nonetheless and landed softly next to Ace’s fallen body, his fist just inches from Ace’s face.

Viper grinned obviously pleased. “You were saying Ace?” He laughed as he patted Nick on the shoulder. “Good job Nick. You’ve made me proud,” Viper declared with a grin.

“Thank you master,” Nick responded beaming at the praise.

Ace growled and pulled his battered body off of the floor. Ace glared at Nick one last time before he left the storage area.

“Nicky you’ve passed an important part of my test. Now you must pass the second and then I can offer you a spot in my gang…you get all of the protection you will ever need, and it’s very hard to get into,” Viper said proudly.

“Really? Wow!” Nick exclaimed excitedly, not fully understanding Viper’s meaning for gang, “what do I have to do?”

“Well Nicky, you must complete what I’m about to tell you, and then you’re one of us. But I must warn you if you fail, there will be terrible consequences.”

Nick gulped. “Yes Viper,”

“Ahhh here’s the second task now!” Viper said excitedly looking towards the doorway. Nick turned around and saw Ace pulling a bound, gagged, and terrified form of a boy. A boy who Nick had known for a very long time. A cruel boy that had haunted Nick’s walks home with threats and chases…a boy who was nothing more than a bully.

“Mickey?” Nick asked Viper confusedly. Viper grinned and nodded.

“This is your second test,” Viper said approaching Nick with a metal baseball bat. Viper held out the bat to little Nick who took it into his trembling hands.

“What do you want me to do?” Nick asked innocently.

Viper laughed. “What do you think boy? Take the bat and…you know.”

Nick’s eyes widened and the color drained from his face in realization. “You mean…k…ki…kill him?” he croaked.

Viper nodded. “Yes Nicky, you deserve justice. Just think about all of the pain he’s caused you Nick, how mean he was…how he tormented your life…” Viper said counting the horrible things Mickey had done on his fingers.

Nick swallowed slowly looking from the bat in his trembling, clammy hands to Mickey lying on the floor, wide eyed and pale. ‘This is wrong…’ Nick thought reasonably. ‘But if you don’t do it,’ another voice pressed, ‘then you’ll have to pay the consequences.’ Nick nodded to himself and took a deep breath.

Nick released the breath and lifted the bat over his head bringing it down towards Mickey’s helpless body…


**FLASH**

At this point in Nick’s story Kevin let out a startled gasp and Nick heard the others’ breath catch in their throats in shock. A.J. looked at Nick with disbelieving, wide eyes. Nick didn’t’ notice since he was looking at the ground, and Howie was the only one who found his voice. “Oh Nick…di…did you …?” He stammered.

“No,” Nick interrupted gruffly.

“But…” A.J. started but Nick cut him off sharply.

“No.” Then softer and mournfully Nick said, “I couldn’t…”



**FLASH**


As the bat neared Mickey’s body and the boy let out a terrified whimper, Nick stopped himself and dropped the bat as if it had burned him. Mickey’s eyes were clenched shut in pure terror. Nick backed away from the bound body in horror. ‘WHAT ARE YOU THINKING?!’ his mind screamed at him.

“Nick?” Viper inquired. “What are you doing? I ordered you to kill him!”

“Master…I-I-I…” Nick stammered fearfully, glancing back at Mickey’s body then back at Viper. Nick’s brow was sweaty in fear, and he looked paler than usual.

“Well? You what Nicky?” Viper demanded coldly, “Get on with it. I am your master and I ordered you to kill him. DO IT!”

“I...I can’t,” Nick murmured wincing at Viper’s angry tone. He had never disappointed his master before this and he felt terrible in doing so now.

“Why?” Viper asked narrowing his eyes.

“Because he’s helpless! He can’t protect himself it’s wrong!” Nick shouted, “I would fight him…but killing him like this is so wrong. I…can’t kill him master. I learned to defend myself not harm others.”

Viper growled and went red in the face. “FINE! I’ll do it myself!” Viper snapped before grabbing the baseball bat from the floor. He approached Mickey’s body and raised the bat.

“MASTER PLEASE! NO!” Nick yelled diving at Viper who knocked Nick away carelessly. Ace walked over to Nick chuckling and restrained the youngster.

Viper raised the bat again and brought it down on Mickey’s restrained body. Mickey’s eyes shot open and he screamed in pain, the scream muffled by the tape over his mouth. Nick watched in horror as Viper rained blow after blow onto Mickey’s helpless form.

After awhile, Mickey’s screams turned to groans, then to soft whimpers, and then to gasps…then Nick heard nothing. Viper stopped and Nick stared at Mickey’s unmoving body in fear.

“There it’s done Nick…you failed me which is such a disappointment as my apprentice...” Nick hung his head in shame at Viper’s words. “…but you passed the first part of my test…that’s never happened before…” Viper said pacing around the room. “I could just kill you,” Viper thought aloud as Nick paled, “but you passed the first…hmm…no…what about…yes that’s it!”

Nick looked Viper in the eye as Viper approached him. “Well Nicky, since you have failed the second part of my test but passed the first…and you disobeyed me, you will owe me a life sentence. You will meet here every day I summon you. You will have a test every night that will test your endurance, fighting skills, or wits.” Viper explained.

“And if I refuse?” Nick asked curiously.

“That’s the beauty Nicky!” Viper said excitedly. “Every challenge is in exchange for one of your family members’ lives…fail and I kill your family understand?”

Nick growled in frustration and looked coldly at Viper finally seeing the ruthless gang banger instead of the endearing master he thought Viper was. Nick refused to answer. Viper growled back and struck Nick across the face. “I SAID UNDERSTAND?!” Viper roared grabbing Nick by the collar of his shirt.

Nick took a shuddering breath, and looked the demon in the eye.


“Yes…Master”


**FINAL FLASH**


“…And that night we met, you helped me without me requesting help…you saved me and my family from him…but now he wants revenge…so the danger I guess was passed to you,” Nick finished. He waited for someone to say something…but no one would. “I…I’m sorry I put you in this danger…now do you see why I never had a lot of friends…I will understand if you don’t want to be-“ he looked up as he was rambling and saw that not one of his band mates had dry eyes. He stopped talking, mouth suddenly dry.

“Good God Nick…” A.J. whispered. “They killed Mickey right in front of you?” Nick nodded mutely swallowing slowly and closing his eyes as the memories swarmed in his mind.

He suddenly felt a warm arm go around his shoulders and turned to see Brian sitting shakily next to him, his body still trying to rid itself of the drug he had been injected with. Nick attempted a smile that never quite reached his eyes. Brian smiled the same one back. Brian closed his arms around Nick’s body offering him the security of an embrace.

Nick closed his eyes attempting to seal off the terrible memories. He felt another arm go around his shoulders and turned to see Howie sitting next to him. Nick’s breath caught in his throat and his bottom lip trembled. ‘Get a hold of yourself Carter!’ he berated himself, ‘don’t be such a baby.’

He felt two more arms go around him from in front of him and behind him in a tight secure embrace that Nick leaned into gratefully and knew that his last two band mates had also leaned in to give him their support. Nick couldn’t control his emotions as a sob escaped his throat. “I’m so sorry,” he whispered, “I wish you’d never met me so ya’ll would be safe.”

“But then we wouldn’t be as happy and complete as we are now Nick we’re glad we met you,” Brian murmured softly into his ear, gently tightening his embrace.

“Ya and it wasn’t your fault Nick, you were just a kid, you didn’t know what Viper was really about. You couldn’t have done anything differently,” A.J. murmured.

“I’m still sorry you aren’t in this situation…it is my fault…and that I have kept it from you for so long,” Nick whispered through his tears.

“Well now we understand Nick,” Kevin said just as quietly, “and now everything will be okay and we’ll help you.”

“And we ain’t mad at you for your past Nick. We know you now. And who you are now is good enough for us,” Howie whispered. All of the boys stayed in that embrace for a long time until Nick finally fell into an exhausted slumber.