- Text Size +
TROUBLE CHAPTER 8
~*~*

The next afternoon, Nick was pacing around his cell muttering incoherently to himself. “He’s been gone too long, it’s not like him. Where is he…”

“Nick,” AJ groaned sounding irritated, “it’s a GOOD thing that they haven’t returned isn’t it? I for one am not looking forward to another encounter with them…” AJ trailed off rubbing his bruised neck subconsciously.

Nick looked to him sympathetically. “No Aje, it ain’t a good thing…cuz it means they’re planning something,” Nick answered nervously.

“Well we already know what they want,” Kevin replied looking at Howie with a fleeting nervous glance. Howie attempted to smile bravely. “now we just gotta figure a way to keep what they want away from them.”

Nick sighed and ran a hand through his hair nervously. “Howie,” he said without emotion. Howie acknowledged Nick, who looked at Howie sincerely. “I promise Howie, that I will do my best to protect you, but you must understand that Viper has a way of getting what he wants…I may not be able to keep you from harm…but I will try to-“

Howie cut Nick off with a shake of his head and a smile. “You’re the younger one Nick I should be protecting you,” Howie said with a sigh, “but I do understand, and I don’t want you hurt…maybe I should just let them take me.”

Outcries of disapproval sounded from all of the boys in the cell and someone actually smacked the back of Howie’s head. “OW!” Howie exclaimed looking behind him to see Kevin, AJ, Nick, and even Brian had shot up.

“You idiot,” AJ scoffed.

“You really think we’d actually allow that?” Kevin also said sounding just as amused.

“But I don’t want you hurt…” Howie said softly.

“Would you try to save Nick?” Brian demanded sharply,

“Well…yes…any one of you I would try to save but…”

“No buts ‘D. I for one am too damn stubborn for my own good…or so I’ve been told,” A.J. remarked shooting a grin at Kevin who rolled his eyes, “No matter what you say, I’ll do what I want. That’s why I’m the “rebel” of the group!” Howie chuckled, but the smile faded rapidly as the lock to their cell was undone, and the door was opened.

Howie stood up slowly, the others, sans Brian, rising quickly to step in front of him. Howie gulped and looked to see who entered the cell.

Ace entered once again this time with ten other guards at his heels like loyal lap dogs. Howie’s breathing increased in rate, and A.J., being the closest to his best friend, reached his own hand out and squeezed Howie’s shoulder reassuringly. “Well, well, well. Looks like your friends wish to protect you, Mr. Dorough,” he said looking into Howie’s eyes.

“Damn right we do!” Kevin snapped. Ace laughed at Kevin.

“You’d think you learn after the first time your little friend there showed insolence…that I am to be obeyed…or do you want to be responsible for the pain or death of one of your friends?” he asked Kevin.

“I wouldn’t let you,” Kevin declared.

“You know so little of the situation you’re in. Nicky, I thought you would have taught them by now.” Ace remarked.

Nick shrugged with a smirk. “Slow learners,” he quipped. The boys grinned at the response and even Ace managed a laugh at the boys before waving the ten guards inside.

“This is your mission boys,” Ace remarked to the guards, “do not fail where others have before.”

The ten guards made their way to each boy. A.J. fought fiercely against three of them knowing they wanted his best friend. Kevin fought desperately against two of the guards. Since he was the eldest, he felt it was his job to protect his younger “brothers”. Howie, meanwhile fought hard against two since he knew his life hung in the balance. Nick took on three guards as well, frantically knowing he had to protect Howie. Ace however came up behind Nick, while he was distracted and hit him in the head with his fist. Nick crumpled to the ground with a quiet groan, his vision blacking out as his head was hit once again.

Punches were being thrown left and right. Ace watched indifferently from behind Nick as two of Nick’s guards left Nick’s pained body. They approached Brian with wicked grins. Brian looked up at the guards in fear and tried to protect himself as the guards began to attack him.

Brian being to weak to defend himself was overcome quickly by the guards with a cry. Brian’s cry was enough motivation for Nick’s eyes to snap open, and for Nick to jump up to rush to his friend’s aid. He attacked one of the guards furiously, his movement sluggish due to the injury to his head. The other guard was soon on the receiving end of Nick’s violence as well. Nick overwhelmed them as quickly as possible, then stooped down to Brian’s crumpled, panting form to check the damage.

“HOWIE!” Nick heard A.J. yell in horror. Nick spun around quickly and groaned inwardly.

‘Damnit…’ he groaned to himself.


Howie had turned, alarmed at Brian’s cry. He knew Brian could not protect himself. He watched as Nick dragged himself groggily off the ground and ran to his aid. Nick’s movements were sluggish, and Howie wondered why. Nick caught the first one off guard, and shoved him to the ground. Then he turned to the second guard, and punched him in the jaw, brought his knee swiftly up into his stomach. The guard gasped in pain and fell over. Nick approached the second guard who was clambering to his feet. Nick smiled wickedly and brought his leg around in a roundhouse kick to the guard’s jaw. He fell to the ground clutching his jaw gingerly.

Howie was distracted long enough for one of the guards to catch him in the jaw with a punch. Howie fell over, his world spinning as he felt rough hands grabbing onto his form. He groaned and closed his eyes. He heard his name being called distantly but found he could not force himself to respond. Vaguely, Howie heard a gun cock and low murmurs before someone yelled for everyone to get out.

Howie frantically brought himself back to awareness knowing that if he didn’t do something soon, then they would take him away, and quite possibly kill him. He felt himself being shoved to his knees, his arms at an upward angle as the guards pushed his shoulders down while holding the wrist up. Howie hissed in pain, his shoulders feeling as if they would dislocate form the brutal hold, before raising his head to look at Nick.

Nick was sitting next to Brian with a gun held by Ace in his face. Nick attempted an apologetic smile, but failed. Howie looked at the floor before looking back up at Nick with a forgiving smile. ‘It’s okay Nicky, it’s not your fault,’ he thought making sure he assured Nick of that with his stare. Howie also attempted to smile at Brian.

Howie then looked to Kevin and nodded reassuringly. Kevin had to look away since he felt so guilty. Howie finally met the gaze of his best friend. A.J. was pale and wide-eyed. Howie gave him a genuine smile that told A.J. that everything would be fine even though he himself didn’t believe it. A.J. looked crushed still.

Howie was aware of himself being lifted upwards as the guards started to be dragging Howie from the room. He thought that he might as well go down fighting and began to struggle wildly. He kicked and twisted frantically trying to get out of the strong grasp of the guards. The guards finally had enough, and one of them hit Howie once again, this time Howie’s head snapped backwards. He felt the world around him swimming and he cried out as he fought a losing battle against unconsciousness, the last thing he knew of was being dragged out of the room, and the last thing he saw was Nick in front of him looking horrified and young.

“Huh?’ Howie thought in confusion before he allowed the darkness to swallow his consciousness.

~*~*

Backtrack to a Few Minutes Ago:

“HOWIE!” A.J. had yelled out, seeing his friend catch the blow to his face. A.J. tried to run and help Howie but he was held back by two of the guards.

Nick glanced up from Brian and saw Howie’s situation. He also tried to run and help, but was stopped by a cry from Brian behind him. Nick spun around and saw one of the guards standing again, with his boot on Brian’s throat. Brian gagged and tried weakly to push the foot from his throat so he could breathe.

Nick glared at the guard coldly and ferociously before charging the guard and knocking him off Brian. The guard fell over onto his back, hitting his head on one of the boys’ cots, rendering him unconscious. Nick then stooped down to Brian’s panting, trembling form once again.

Nick moved to rise and assist the other boys but stopped when he heard a cock of a gun. He started, then turned his head up slowly, with Brian following his movements. Nick’s face was met with a gun. Nick gasped and then looked up at the owner. “Ace,” He growled out. Everyone stopped fighting upon hearing the gun cock and the boys paled.

Ace said nothing directly to Nick. “EVERYONE OUT!” he roared to his men. Nick looked past Ace at Howie who was trembling looking at Nick pleadingly. Nick shot his friend an apologetic look and Howie’s eyes cast to the floor.

‘Sorry ‘D,’ Nick thought shamefully to himself. Howie looked back up and gave Nick a trembling smile of forgiveness.

A few moments passed by before the guards began to drag Howie from the room, Howie kicking and twisting in terror, attempting to get away from his captors. The boys could do nothing as there was a gun being pointed at two of them. The guards grunted in exertion of trying to hold Howie, and one finally got tired of it and struck Howie, a crushing blow to his jaw. Howie’s head snapped backwards and he groaned. The guards dragged him from the room.

Ace backed out of the room slowly. “I’ll be back for your mission Nicky,” he said sweetly. Nick growled in frustration, as he got to his feet slowly. Ace laughed in victory one more time before closing the door to the cell. The cell re-opened quickly, and said, “Oh and Nick? There’s another surprise waiting for you afterwards…and your friend will be returned to you…but whether he’s dead or not…now that’s another story.” With that, Ace laughed and slammed the door.

“FUCK!” A.J. swore loudly hitting the floor with his fist, his forehead dropping to press against the cool concrete as well. Nick glared after Ace, and then leaned down to A.J., whispering words of comfort.

Kevin meanwhile approached Brian who had his face covered with his hands. “Brian?” Kevin asked frantically, dropping down next to his cousin, “you okay cuz?” Brian shook his head, his face still covered with his palms. “Are you hurt?” Kevin asked gently. Again Brian shook his head again. Kevin pulled Brian’s hands away from his face, to see Brian’s face scrunched up and tears leaking from his eyes.

“H…Howieee…” he cried.

Kevin grimaced. “I know Brian, but there’s nothing we can do right now. So get off the floor and lie down on the cot, it won’t do Howie any good if you make yourself more sick. In fact, it will make him furious.” Kevin murmured comfortingly. Brian felt awful still and obediently picked his weary body from the floor, and laid down on the cot closing his eyes.

Nick was still speaking to A.J. in soothing tones. “Aje, c’mon now. Don’t worry about Howie, he’ll be fine.” He reassured his friend.

“How the hell do you know?” A.J. snapped from his position on the floor, face down. Nick laughed.

“Trust me Jay, one: Howie is strong and will fight to survive and two: I lived with these people…I’ve thought like these people…” he dropped his voice to tell A.J. the next thing, “and I know that they wouldn’t want their ‘fun’ to end so quickly.”

A.J. looked to Nick sharply. “What are you saying?” he snapped.

“That they’ll beat him up…maybe drug him but then return him to us, and he should be fine.” Nick replied.

“Hope you’re right Nicky…hope that’s all they want…” A.J. whispered trembling violently.

“I hope so too A.J….for Howie’s sake.”


~*~*~*

The boys were silent for almost an hour before Kevin finally decided to take charge. “Why doesn’t everyone just lay down, and try to rest. You two especially Nick and Brian,” Kevin suggested in a very father like tone.

A.J. looked over at Kevin in annoyance. “You’re one to talk Kev, after what you’ve been through!” A.J. snapped. Kevin sighed in return.

“I know Aje, I’ll lay down,” Kevin placated.

Everyone got onto a cot and pretended to sleep. After about an hour of staring at the ceiling, Nick ventured out, “Anyone ACTUALLY sleeping?”

“No,” came the chorus of replies. Nick laughed in spite of the situation.

“Well in that case, Kev, A.J., why don’t you tell your story?” Nick suggested sitting up.

“S…story?” A.J. squeaked. Kevin sat up and went to sit on A.J.’s cot as Nick sat on Brian’s, which were right next to each other.

“Ya,” Brian agreed, “like how you got here…and what happened after we disappeared.

A.J.’s breath caught in his throat and he clenched his hands into fists. Kevin put his hand on his shoulder to calm A.J. Kevin turned to Nick and Brian with a sigh. “I would like to have Howie here…but considering…you know…” he trailed off.

“It’s a long story,” A.J. said quietly staring intently at his feet.

“Let’s hear it,” Nick encouraged dreadfully.

“Alright,” Kevin said reluctantly, “it all started after you guys didn’t return from your little road trip…”




~*~* Before Kevin, A.J., and Howie’s arrival*~*~



Kevin glanced at his watch for the tenth time in the last ten minutes. “They’re late,” he grumbled testily. Howie and A.J. glanced up from their game of cards, bored. The remaining three Backstreet Boys were waiting inside an office, in their manager’s building, waiting for Nick and Brian to return. Upon the boy’s return, they would get on their tour bus to set out for their first city on their tour.

“They’re always late,” Howie commented not seeming too concerned.

“You know how they are Kev,” A.J. replied casually, “they probably stopped to eat or something and decided they didn’t need to tell us.”

“They’re still late,” Kevin grumbled nervously.

The office they were currently sitting in was small and cramped. Kevin made it even smaller by the way he paced back and forth. When Brian and Nick hadn’t returned he had alerted management and told them to inform himself, A.J. and Howie if Brian or Nick called.

The office door opened and their manager strolled in nervously accompanied by an officer. Kevin felt his blood run cold. He stood quickly, and noticed Howie and A.J. had done the same, their card game forgotten.

“This is officer Randall,” their manager introduced looking rather pale and uptight.

“Hello gentlemen,” Randall greeted quietly with a nod of greeting.

The boys inclined their heads in greeting before Howie finally asked shakily, “What’s going on?”

“It’s about your missing friends,” Officer Randall replied cutting straight to the chase.

“You found them?” A.J. asked hopefully.

“We didn’t realize that the police had been called…” Kevin trailed off.

“No, but we did find their car.” Officer Randall answered A.J., deliberately ignoring Kevin.

“…What?” Kevin asked narrowing his eyes.

“We found their car, abandoned, on the side of a highway, with a flat tire…” Randall paused here shifting nervously from foot to foot.

“What are you keeping from us” A.J. asked suspiciously.

“Well,” Randall continued clearing his throat, “the car’s back windshield had been completely shattered…it was shot out.”

“WHAT?!” Kevin exclaimed. Howie paled and A.J. sat down hard, “Like by a gun?”

“Yes, I’m afraid so,” Randall said gloomily, “This, and other evidence, suggests foul play…”

“No shit,” A.J. muttered cutting him off.

“SO,” Randall continued pointedly, “you will have to return to Mr. Richardson’s home until we clear this up.”

“What other kinds of evidence did you find?” Howie asked, fearing the answer.

Officer Randall sighed before listing, “Bullet holes in all the windows, the smashed rear end of the car we assume was caused by a larger vehicle, most likely a SUV or a van, tire tracks weaving off the road, one of their tires had been tampered with resulting in a flat…and…”

“And what?” Kevin asked wide-eyed.

“And…a syringe with traces of a drug that we cannot identify yet…used.” Randall explained monotonously, “we sent in the syringe for testing, and will determine if it is either Mr. Littrell or Mr. Carter’s blood on the tip. We will let you know when we know.”

The boys stared open-mouthed. “You will return to Mr. Richardson’s home now where I have stationed officers outside your home.”

“Th…Thank you officer,” Kevin replied politely shaking his hand before Officer Randall left the room. Howie and A.J. stayed rooted to their spots eyes dazed in deep thought. Kevin sighed before bringing them back from their reveries and pulled them from the room.


The boys’ manager sent them with four of their own largest security guards back to Kevin’s house to wait.


Once they arrived back at Kevin’s house, a good four-hour drive away, reality set in. They sat in complete silence until the phone rang. Kevin shakily picked it up. “Hello?…ye…yes…mmhmm…” there was a pause here, “Oh God,” he choked, “Th…thank you.” Kevin hung up the phone before collapsing to the floor.

“K…Kev?” A.J. asked dreadfully moving to crouch in front of Kevin. Kevin looked at A.J. with tears in his eyes.

“Th…the syringe that they found…had traces of a heavy sedative, dangerous to most humans, and…the blood on the tip was…Brian’s.”

A.J. choked while, Howie’s breathing hitched and he began to hyperventilate. A.J. turned towards Howie quickly rubbing his back soothingly, “D…calm down, it’s okay.” Kevin also approached Howie doing the same thing.

“Deep breaths Howie,” he encouraged softly. Howie’s breathing calmed finally.

“Thanks,” he murmured.

“Don’t sweat it Howie,” A.J. said with a forced grin. The room fell into silence.

After awhile Kevin suggested they attempt to get some rest, and herded Howie and A.J. upstairs. Howie shared a miserable glance with A.J. and A.J. smiled in understanding, following Howie into one of the rooms. Howie, nor A.J. wanted to be alone.

Kevin meanwhile went ot his own room and lay down. He tossed and turned attempting to sleep but instead found himself plagued with visions of his dead cousin and hurt youngest. Finally, Kevin gave up and walked downstairs. He went to the kitchen and began to make coffee to calm his nerves.

“Make that three,” a voice said behind him. Kevin started and whirle around to find both A.J. and Howie standing in the kitchen entryway. Both had red rimmed eyes.

Kevin smiled apologetically. “Did I wake you?’

A.J. snorted. “Do you think we can sleep?”

“Point taken,” Kevin returned putting three cups of coffee on the table. Silence once again reigned as the boys gave and received solace in the company of one another. Night turned to morning finding the boys all slumped in their chairs exhausted. The day passed in restlessness that the boys attempted to pass by napping once in awhile and watching T.V. though nothing held their attention.

The silence was only broken when Kevin’s aunt, Brian’s mother Jackie calling him to check on him on the second day. After assuring Jackie that he was fine, Kevin hung up the phone allowing her to return to her family. Kevin returned to his. The afternoon swiftly turned to night finding the boys back in the kitchen with coffee once again. Silence reigned again.

“I’m so worried,” Kevin finally said blankly putting his head into his hands. A.J. patted his shoulder.

“I know,” he replied softly, “we all are.”

“Why don’t we ju-“ Howie started to say before he was cut off as all the windows in the living room they were sitting in crashed in. Tall men came through the broken windows swiftly. The boys jumped from their various sitting places and clustered together. A.J. started to ready his fists to start fighting, but Kevin laid his hand on A.J.’s chest to prevent it.

“Who are they?” Howie whispered, wide eyed.

“Don’t know Howie,” A.J. replied trying to mask his voice but sounding just as fearful.

“Don’t panic,” Kevin muttered just as much to himself as to A.J. and Howie.

“Well, Well, Well,” A new voice drawled, “if it isn’t Howie,” he said looking straight at Howie coldly who cringed away, “A.J.” A.J. stared defiantly back, his eyes blazing, “Ooo…tough one!” the newcomer laughed, “and Kevin,” he finished looking straight at Kevin who looked away.

“What do you want?” Kevin demanded shakily.

The newcomer ignored Kevin’s question and instead busied himself by walking around the room looking at the various framed pictures all over the tables and walls. A lot of the pictures littered among them were ones of his family, but this person seemed to care little for those and looked at the ones of the boys. Finally the newcomer picked up a selected picture.

“Well, look at this boys, it’s little Nicky!” he snickered before tossing the picture around. The other men snickered. One of them looked at the picture then back to the newcomer.

“Hey Master,” he said with a laugh, “the other one’s in this picture too!”

“Yes he is,” Viper returned before turning back to the boys. “My name’s Viper, and these two,” he said snatching the picture and throwing it to A.J. who caught it, “should be familiar to you.”

A.J. looked down at the picture in his hands. It was a picture taken recently on one of their many retreats to relax after a hard days work. This time they were at Howie’s house, and in the picture Nick had ran and jumped on Brian just as Kevin snapped the picture. Both of the boys had huge grins on their faces. A.J. remembered what happened next as he looked at the picture. Nick was too heavy for Brian and Brian had stumbled and fell into the pool next to them in the picture.

The boys looked up at Viper. “Wh…whe…Wher…” Kevin was gasping but A.J. beat him to it.

“WHERE THE HELL ARE THEY!?” A.J. demanded angrily.

“They’re comfortable…for now,” Viper replied.

“W…where?” Howie asked quietly still in shock.

“I will not disclose that information at this time.” Viper replied casually.

“Are they hurt?” Kevin asked dreadfully.

“Nick really isn’t hurt at all…save for some bruises and bumps…Brian…that’s another story.” Viper
replied.

“Did…you…” Howie tried to stammer.

“No we didn’t beat him or anything…Nicky has made sure of that, he’s been protecting Brian with his own life.” Viper replied sounding almost sick.

Kevin sighed in relief, good Ol’ Nicky… “Then what’s wrong with him?” He asked.

“Well,” Viper said pretending to be thinking. “That drug we injected him with shouldn’t have any lasting side effects…but who knows?” he laughed here, “and with his weak heart and all one can’t be too care-“

A.J. cut him off here by launching himself at Viper. “NO!” he screamed beating Viper’s face in, “IF HE’S DEAD I SWEAR I’LL KILL YOU!” Two guards pulled A.J. off of Viper and dragged him away.

Viper stood and wiped blood away from the corner of his mouth. “Stupid boy,” he growled advancing on A.J. who was restrained by the guards.

“NO!” Howie cried in terror for his best friend, “He’s sorry! He’s sorry!” Kevin and Howie moved to help him but were immediately restrained.

To A.J.’s surprise, Viper passed him and approached the other two. A.J. watched curiously to see what was going on. Viper just looked the other two up and down before looking back at A.J. Viper turned back around and lashed out quick as a snake striking Kevin across the face.

Kevin gave a yelp of surprise and pain. Howie watched in shock and A.J. growled struggling to help Kevin. Viper didn’t stop there, however, and lashed out a strong punch to Kevin’s stomach. Then he whirled around and kicked Kevin in the face. More punches rained down on Kevin who started to visibly lose strength and consciousness. Slowly his eyes drooped as the guards held his now bleeding, bruised body up.

“STOP!” A.J. screamed in horror.

Viper paused. “This is your fault A.J…however, if I beat him to death here, then our fun will be shorter….” Viper declared pulling out a handgun. He pointed it at Kevin who looked at Viper through tired, blackening, swollen eyes. Kevin’s breath rate increased and he panted in terror his breathing coming out in rattled weak gasps. But his tired gaze remained defiant. He had to stay strong for A.J. and Howie.

Viper hooked handgun underneath Kevin’s chin and lifted Kevin’s head. The barrel of the gun touched against Kevin’s throat. Viper pressed firmly causing Kevin’s breathing to become strained. Viper laughed again before his smile faded and he swiftly swung the butt of the gun around hitting Kevin in the temple. Kevin gave a cry of surprise as his head was whipped violently to the side.

With a groan, Kevin’s eyes closed and he slumped over. “KEVIN!” Howie screamed in desperate concern. Howie tried to pull away to see if Kevin was okay, but the guards wouldn’t let him.

“K…Kev?!” A.J. asked. Kevin didn’t respond.

“Let that be a lesson to you,” Viper snarled in A.J.’s face, “and if that isn’t enough…” Viper said maliciously pulling a long, silver knife from his belt. A.J. gasped and struggled violently. “Then maybe this,” he said approaching Howie who tried again to get free with a wild, terrified look on his face, ”will be motivation enough.” Viper put the knife against Howie’s pale cheek. Howie stared wide-eyed at it, his breath catching in his throat. Viper trailed the knife down Howie’s face, down his neck, to his chest, before returning to his throat. Viper let it rest there. “Understand?” Viper growled holding the blade against Howie’s neck as Howie fought to keep from trembling.

A.J., now just as pale, saw the terror in his best friend’s eyes and nodded mutely, not being able to find his voice. “Good,” Viper said putting his knife back in its sheath. Howie nearly collapsed in relief.

“Take them out to the car,” Viper ordered his guards. A.J. spared a look to Howie who looked at him in fear. A.J. turned away and allowed the guards to drag him away.

The guards pushed the boys outside, dragging Kevin’s unconscious form between two of them. A.J. allowed the guards to push him along and Howie did the same searching the surrounding houses desperately for some curious neighbor who heard the noise.

Looking around, he saw all of the officers and security teams laying motionless on the ground. Howie swallowed back bile as he wondered if they were dead or not.

The boys were pushed to the back of a large, gray SUV. One of A.J.’s guards let him go to grab the door handle. ‘Don’t struggle Jay…’ Howie thought desperately. But A.J. stayed perfectly motionless and this also worried Howie.

When the door was opened, A.J. was ordered in first. A.J. obeyed immediately, and climbed in jumping to the right side. Howie got in next and turned to have Kevin handed to him. A.J. was staring off into space, Kevin was pushed through the doors. Howie grabbed Kevin and pulled his unconscious form towards him so that Kevin’s head was on his lap. The guards laughed outside at something Viper said, then the doors to the SUV were closed, leaving them in total darkness.

Howie felt the engine roar to life and felt the SUV pull away from Kevin’s house. Howie took a shaking breath before calling out to his other band mate. “A.J.?!” He received no response. “A.J.!” Howie hissed.

“Y…Ya I’m here ‘D.” A.J. murmured quietly.

“Are you alright Aje?” Howie asked desperately trying to find where A.J. was located in the vast back of the darkened SUV.

“…”

“A.J.?” Howie asked again more insistently than ever. Then he heard a sob. “A.J.?! What’s wrong are you hurt?”

“N…no…” A.J. answered in a whimper.

“What’s wrong Aje?”

“I’m sorry,” A.J. replied brokenly beginning to sob.

“For what?” Howie demanded.

“Kevin…the knife…” A.J. trailed off.

“Aje…c’mere it’s not your fault,” Howie insisted.

“Ok…” A.J. relented reluctantly, “just talk so I don’t trample you on accident.”

Howie laughed and began to hum the chorus of one of their songs. Just as he reached the endnote, he felt A.J.’s hand clasp over his own and squeeze gently. Howie used A.J.’s hand to pull him into a hug. “You okay?” Howie murmured against the top of A.J.’s head as A.J. trembled in his embrace.

“Ya…I guess so. What about you?”

“I’m alright.”

“Wh…where’s Kevin?”

“Here, in my lap.”

A.J. felt around, until he came into contact with Kevin’s chest. He shook Kevin desperately. “Kev. …KEV. KEV!” A.J. called trying to rouse the eldest. Kevin didn’t stir or make a sound. “C’mon Kev, I need to see you’re okay…please?” Again nothing. Realization hit Howie as he realized why A.J. was being so insistent.

“’Jay…” Howie said gently. “Kev won’t hate you for what happened back there. Chances are it would have happened anyways.”

“B…but…”

“No buts…if anything he’ll be proud of you for standing up to Viper.”

“I still think it’s my fault.”

“I know.”

Silence filled the back of the SUV as they rode along. A stirring caught A.J. and Howie’s attention as daylight broke the horizon. Kevin moaned in obvious pain and started moving around.

“He’s waking up ‘Jay see? He’s alright!” Howie said excitedly

Kevin groaned as he came back to consciousness. “Ohhh…” he moaned in pain, “what the hell happened to me?”

A.J. almost laughed in spite of everything. He still thought it a very strange thing to hear Kevin swear. Howie, meanwhile, did laugh out loud “Kev? You okay?” he asked. Kevin seemed to start before he replied,

“Ya…I think so…but God…my head…” Kevin groaned again covering his face with his palms

Then Kevin remembered what had happened. “A.J.!” he yelled frantically trying to sit up. “where is he? Is he hurt? HOWIE?!”

A.J. immediately leaned over Kevin. “I’m right here Kev,” he muttered. Kevin groped blindly around for A.J. for reassurance.

“Where?” he asked begging for reassurance. A.J. grabbed Kevin’s groping hand squeezing it reassuringly.

“Here,” he said softly, “safe and sound…”

Kevin pulled A.J. to him. “A.J. NONE of this is your fault understand me?” Kevin declared fiercely hugging A.J. to him.

“But…” A.J. began.

“NONE of it. This is Viper’s fault not yours,” Kevin reassured A.J. firmly, “and I’m not angry with you at all...although it wouldn’t hurt to exercise more caution you could have been hurt…or killed!”

“And instead you were,” A.J. whimpered guiltily.

“I’m proud you were the reason Viper beat me. He probably would have anyways.”

A.J. smiled at Kevin. “Thanks Kevin.” The other two smiled before the SUV stopped. Everyone was silent with apprehension.

“We’ve stopped,” Howie whispered, frightened.

“Gee, ya think?” A.J. snapped.

Howie’s next response was cut off as the back doors to the SUV were thrown open and the boys stared up into the faces of their adversaries who held the boys lives in their hands.