- Text Size +
The streets were still busy. The vehicles traveling down the road were crammed together and very close to the edges of the sidewalk. As Abby pulled around the corner she noticed on parking spot left close to the curb as she inched her way very cautiously into the space. Laney stepped out of the car with Abby following her, slamming the door behind her.
“Abby you don’t have to come anymore if you don’t want to”
“No, I have to come because if I don’t then I’ll have to listen to you bitch for not coming even though you told me not to come. You’ll end up regretting letting me go home and I’m not really in the mood to listen to your complaints okay?” She eyed her best friend up and down as she noticed a look of total confusion and shock on her face.
“God Abby, I’m sorry. You don’t have to give me the death stare. I just thought that maybe you weren’t feeling to well after that nasty fall you took today. I was just trying to look out for you. That’s what friends do remember?” Abby could see that she had hurt Laney’s feelings and she regretted ever being so harsh to her.
“Oh I’m so sorry hun. I don’t know what came over me just then. It’s not your fault. I’m just in kind of a bad mood because of that incident today. But I’m feeling 100% better physically. I guess that nap I took earlier really paid off. You understand right? I didn’t mean to snap at you.” She was painfully sorry and hoped her best friend would forgive her rudeness.
“Yeah you’re forgiven,” she accepted as they embraced each other in a tight hug. “Now tell me again about this guy you met!” she giggled.
“God, not again!”
“Yes again. You barely gave me any details. I wanna know everything about him. What did he look like?” She could plainly see how much her teasing would risk putting Abby into a bad mood again but she was the curious one, always getting into other people’s business when she shouldn’t be. She was the one to go looking for if you needed a fix in the latest gossip. She was the dangerous one, a risk taker, something completely opposite to her best friend. But Abby loved her for it. She admired her courage and secretly hoped that one day she might be half as brave as this woman to pursue her dreams and passions.
“Okay fine,” she said a little annoyed. “He had blonde hair, kinda wispy cut just the right length. It brushed onto his forehead a bit and swept in front of his eyes. He had the bluest eyes I have ever seen and the most unique colour. When the sun hit them just right they could be considered green. He was tall and had a great body, not rock solid but just enough muscle.” Abby found herself surprisingly getting lost in the thought of Nick standing before her on that beach and she could easily see herself getting pulled into a day dream.
“Wow Ab, for someone who says they are not interested in this guy as you told me, you sure can recall his features like the back of your own hand. You sure there isn’t anything going on between you two. I mean, you did say he asked you out. How come you didn’t agree? It seems to me that you might have a thing for him from the way you described him.”
“What? That’s crazy!” She tried to hide the lie behind her reply. She seemed to have gotten better at it over the years. She could usually fool Laney now into believing what she said and she could see she was doing it now by the reassured look in her friend’s face. “Just so you know, I didn’t agree to go out with him because it’s not the right time for me. I feel kind of troubled right now and I don’t want to get involved with someone for a while,” she said almost fighting back tears as she knew just how much she did want a boyfriend but also because she knew that it was impossible for her to able to get close to anyone.
“Okay Abby, I believe you hun. I know how you’ve been through a lot of rough times and I understand why it would be hard for you to get involved with anyone. I just worry about you sometimes, you know?” Laney was also fighting back tears too thinking about the horror her best friend had encountered years before. It has scared her and it was something that was next to impossible to recover from.
“I know you do and I appreciate the concern. I really do, and I would be more screwed up if I didn’t have you, you know that right?”
“Of course. I would never leave you and I am always here for you no matter what. That is something you can count on for life.” The two friends found themselves hugging once again but this time letting go of the tears that had welled up the past few minutes.
“Okay, now that we got that out of our systems, why don’t you say we get this show on the road eh?” Laney laughed.
“Sure, why not. The sooner the we get outta here the sooner I can have those drinks you owe me!”
“Aww I was hoping that crash you took might have made you forget about the drinks part,” teased Laney. Abby proceeded to playfully punch Laney on the shoulder as the two of them headed into the Fort Lauderdale Downtown Dance Studio.