- Text Size +
It was about 8:30 that evening. Alana didn’t know whether or not Nick was hungry, so she threw in a frozen pizza in the oven. He was sitting in the living room on the couch just staring at the television. He looked as if he was in a distant land, than at home.

She grabbed two Pepsis out of the refrigerator and sat down next to him, handing him one. He opened it and drank what looked like half of it down. Alana grabbed the remote and turned on the television to cartoons trying to break up the silence.

She looked at his face. He was so pale from what looked like lack of sleep. She just wanted to hold him and tell him that everything was going to be alright, but she couldn’t. She didn't have the heart to tell him how she felt about him because she didn't know if he felt the same way.

A little while later, Alana brought out the pizza with a couple of plates and set it on a hot mat in the middle of the coffee table. Nick looked up at her and gave her a weak half smile. Pizza was his favorite. It had pepperoni, mushroom and cheese. They both ate in silence. She had two pieces while he ate about five pieces, leaving just enough for a snack later. Alana got up and started cleaning up the mess. Nick grabbed the two empty soda cans and plates and followed her into the kitchen.

“Why don’t you take a shower Nick,” She suggested. “It might make you feel a little better."

While he took a shower, she changed into a tank top and pajama bottoms. Nick came out with a towel wrapped around his waist. His face was freshly shaven and his hair actually combed. He looked a little better than what he did when she picked him up at the airport. Alana’s eyes darted right for his chest. He wasn’t exactly muscular, but he wasn’t certainly fat either. Wow, he's looking so good. I wish I could touch him... She watched him walked into the extra bedroom where there were always extra clothes for him. Nick threw on a pair of boxers and white Nike shorts. When he came out he saw Alana wiping down the kitchen table.

“You haven’t said hardly anything to me Nick,” She pointed out.

He shrugged his shoulders.

“Well you know, some people like to talk,” She said as she walked down the hall to her bedroom as he followed her. “Some people actually like to have a conversation when they have company.”

She turned around and looked at him. “Talk to me,” she said.

He just looked at her, and then looked away.

“Nick, talk to me,” she demanded again.

He looked at her again and sighed.

“Everyone’s out for me,” he said quietly “and you’re mad at me.”

Alana picked up her brush and started brushing her hair.

“I have every right to be annoyed with you, I’m not mad at you.” She explained. “I haven’t seen or hardly spoke to you in almost a year Nick.”

He sighed again. “I know. And I have no excuse for it.”

She put her brush down and continued to listen.

“I got into a relationship in which I thought would actually last more than 6 months. I thought her and I had something. But I guess it was all a game,” He said quietly. “I didn’t hurt her.”

“I know you didn’t,” Alana said.

“I’m sorry Lana,” Nick whispered, his eyes watering up. “I’m sorry for not calling you. I’m sorry for not coming out to see you. I’m sorry about everything.”

She saw tears run down his cheeks. She had hardly ever seen her best friend cry. She tried so hard not to cry too.

“Oh Nicky,” she whispered as she pulled him into a hug. Nicky, you know that I always will be there for you..no matter what..

He wrapped his arms around her neck and pulled her close. He buried his face into her hair. Alana wrapped her arms around his back and let him cry quietly in her arms. She rubbed his bare back and then looked up at him. His eyes were all red and tear stained. She wiped his tears with her fingers and kissed the tip of his nose.

“Lay down and get some sleep,” she said leading him to her bed. “You have bags under your eyes like you haven’t slept in days.”

“I haven’t in three days,” he answered as he took of his shorts.

She covered him up and he closed his eyes. She climbed in on the other side. She cuddled right up to his back and wrapped her arm around him. He put his hand in hers. She kissed his musical note tattoo.

“Good night Lana,” he said. I feel home again. Why was I so stupid and didn't know what's good for me? She's the one I need and want...but how could I only show her that..what if she doesn't feel the same way for me?

“Good night Nick,” Alana replied.
~********~