- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry for the long wait everyone!! Here you go, happy reading!
A tight feeling in Nick's chest awoke him from an uncomfortable sleep. He closed his eyes again and tried to fall back asleep. Alana was curled up behind him with her arm wrapped around his waist and her hand resting on his stomach. It wasn't any use; the tight feeling from his chest arose up his throat, causing pain when he swallowed.

From the tight feeling from his chest, he managed to let out a deep, hard cough. The pain in his throat seemed to get worse as he let out another one. Alana shifted in her position on the bed and opened her eyes. She heard him try to let out another cough, but it came out as a raspy wheeze instead.

"Are you okay?" she whisphered, her lips touching his ear.

He shuddered at her touch as another cold chill went down his body. His throat was really hurting. She felt his body shudder against hers. Throwing back the covers, Nick sat up on the side of the bed. He held his head in his hands. The pain in his throat would not go away. How can she put up with my shit all the time? Why does she care so much? And about me?

Alana watched her best friend in the darkness of the room. The rain could still be heard against the window as it was still pouring outside. She crept on the other side of the bed to where he was sitting and pulled herself up next to him.

"What's wrong?" she asked as she started to rub his back as he still had a shirt on.

Nick let out another hard, raspy cough and then groaned as he put his head back in his hands. She turned on the small lamp that was next to the bed on the oak bed stand.

"If you don't tell me what's wrong, I can't help you," she said as she raised his head to her level. Why can't he tell me what's wrong? He seems so helpless right now.

"I need a drink," he barely whisphered, but just enough for her to hear him.

He adjusted his eyes to the now lit up room and stood up. He felt Alana slip her hand into his. The warmth of her hand felt good against his cool skin as she led him down the stairs to the kitchen.
~**********~

Though his throat was badly hurting, he didn't want to seem weak to her, so he poured himself a glass of icy cold water. Alana watched Nick as he drank down the tall glass. The cold liquid felt good as it went down his throat. He finished the glass and filled it up again to take back upstairs. He set the glass on the night stand and got back into bed. When he laid back down, he let out a loud, hard cough. She could hear the congestion in his chest start to build.

She went into the bathroom and opened up the cupboard underneath the sink. Her mom had so many types of medicine, so she was bound to find something that would make him comfortable and get some much needed rest.

Alana sat on the side of the bed where Nick was trying to sleep. She lightly feathered his blonde locks away from his forehead. His eyes slowly opened and he looked at her.

"Here, take these," she said as she handed him two gel caps of Nyquil.

He squinted at the medicine that she put in his hand.

"I'm fine," he said handing them back to her.

Nick let out another congested cough and Alana saw the pain in his face as he covered his mouth. She put them back in his hand. He gave in and took them, feeling the coldness of the water down his flaming throat. Pulling the covers back over him, he fell into a deep, comforting sleep.

Hours later, Alana awoke to bright rays from the sun that streaked through the window. She looked over at Nick and saw that he was curled up under the blankets, sleeping peacefully. That Nyquil really must have done the trick, she thought to herself.

The clock on the wall read 8:40 a.m. That meant both of her parents had already left for work, considering it was a weekday. She got up quietly, not waking him up, and went downstairs to make some coffee.
~**********~

By the time Alana made coffee and settled at the kitchen table with a cup and a bagel, it was almost 9:30 a.m. engrossed in her breakfast, she jumped when she heard the familiar, yet annoying ring of a particular a cell phone.

She tried to ignore the ringing. It stopped after 5 rings. Taking a knife and putting some more peanut butter on her wheat bagel, the phone rang again. She dropped the knife hard on the table and was getting really perturbed. He really needs to change that, it’s annoyin.

She opened up his silver and black flip cell phone and pushed the answer button. Before she could get a word out, yelling came out on the other end of the line.

"Where the fuck are you??" the voice screamed "The meeting started over a half hour ago!!"

Alana took a breath and was about to say something, but the voice continued.

"No one knows where you are Nick!! You need to learn how to answer your phone and check your voicemail! Get your ass here now!" the anger heard in the male voice.

She knew it was Kevin. He was the father figure of the group. He was just doing his job, but he had no right to yell at Nick, especially since he was sick, and she didn't deserve to be yelled at either. There was a break of silence so Alana finally had her chance to say something

"I really don't appreciate yelling in my ear when I am eating my breakfast," she said in a calm voice.

"Alana?" he asked, his voice lowered "Where's Nick?"

"He's sleeping," she answered flatly.

"Our Promotional Meeting with Johnny started a half hour ago," Kevin stated. "He should've been here over an hour ago."

"Like I said, he's still sleeping," she said as she took another sip of her coffee.

"Out a little late?" he asked.

“No, he doesn’t feel good. He’s sleeping,” Alana answered as she finished off her bagel.

“He needs to be here, tell him he has ten minutes to get down here,” Kevin said.

She sighed. She had to tell him where Nick was and he wasn’t going to like it one bit, not one bit at all. But then again, it really wasn’t for her to tell.

“I’ll tell him, it doesn’t mean anything though. Like I said he’s not feeling good,” she replied. Why do I feel so bad for not telling him where Nick is?

“Okay, I guess that’s all I can get out of you?” he asked.

She smiled a little. Well at least you aren’t trying to pry it out of me like some people do.

“I’ll tell Nick that you called,” Alana said.

“Thanks Hun,” Kevin said “You tell him he’s in deep shit.”

She laughed as she hung up the cell phone.
~**********~

A couple hours later, after Alana was showered and dressed, she went back upstairs to check on Nick. She hadn’t checked on him since last night. Figuring he needed to sleep, he had left him alone for most of the morning. She had basically lazed around the house the entire morning, catching up on reading one of her books that she had started months before.

She quietly opened the door and saw him snuggled under the blankets, sleeping peacefully on his side. Alana stood in the doorway and watched him as he slept. The movements of his breath were a little uneven and the congestion could be heard. She couldn’t believe that he had dropped all his obligations and came for her. Never in a million years, would she have ever thought that he would do such a thing. He was so devoted to his career and music; he usually never let anything come before them, until now. If I mean that much to him, what does that mean? Are we officially together or what? These questions were going to ponder her mind until she talked with him. For now, he was sick and she was finally going to get to take care of him.

Alana left the door opened and went into the bathroom to get a thermometer. She sat on the edge of the bed and peeled back the comforter and he barely moved as she did. She rested her hand on his forehead and felt that he was still warm. Her fingers ran down his tanned cheek to his neck; he was warm all over.

“Nick,” she whispered softly as she touched his cheek again.

“Hmmm…” and a groan followed as his response.

“Can you wake up for a few minutes so I can take your temp?” she asked.

Not hesitating one bit, he opened his mouth a little so that she could slid the thermometer in. His eyes still closed, he felt Alana push his damp hair away from his face. He felt so useless when he was sick, but he liked having her finally take care of him. She was better than A.J.

The thermometer beeped a minute later, though it felt like forever to Nick. Alana looked at it.

“101.5,” she said. “It’s not too bad. I think you should take a shower, think you can do that?”

He tried to clear his throat, but it was painful in the process.

“Yah,” he mumbled. Maybe you should help me, but I’m too exhausted.

She pulled back the rest of the blankets so that they were sitting on the edge of the queen size bed.

“Still tired…” his voice trailed off.

Alana pulled the blankets back over him. She didn’t want to fight with him. She just wanted him to get some rest. A phone call had to be made to Kevin, and soon. Planting a kiss on his forehead, she closed the door as she left the room.
~**********~