- Text Size +
Nick sighed after everyone left. He looked at his best friend. He only had ten more days with her. Every day that came closer to him leaving, he only dreaded it even more. He put a blanket over Alana and kissed her softly on the top of her head.

Heading to the kitchen, he decided to make something good for dinner. He searched her entire kitchen until he found something to make. Nick spent the next hour making dinner. At last, it was ready to put in the oven. After twenty minutes, it would be done, just enough time to wake up Alana. He walked into the living room to find her still sleeping on the couch. He crouched down in front of the couch.

“Hey,” he said softy, brushing her hair away from her face.

She slowly opened her eyes and saw Nick and smiled sleepily.

“Hi,” she responded. “I fell asleep.”

He chuckled. “Yes I know."

“What’s cooking?” she asked.

He pulled out the glass dish out of the oven. Alana was amazed what she saw. He somehow through together a box of rice with grilled chicken breasts on top. It looked so good.

"How did you manage to put that together?" she asked. "You can't cook worth shit."

Nick laughed as he set the dish on the stove.

"I didn't say I can't cook. I just don't like too," he said, handing her a plate.

They sat down at the kitchen table and ate, tossing around the occasional conversation. She really didn't feel like talking because she was in a lot of pain. He picked up her plate and put the dirty dishes in the dishwasher. She cocked her eyebrow at him as she watched him clean up the kitchen.

"For someone who's always making messes, you sure do know how to clean up," she teased.

Nick turned around and gave her the finger, causing her to laugh as she clutched her side.
~**********~

Alana sat on the porch looking at the sky and horizon. Nick watched her from the sliding glass door. He sat in a nearby chair and put his head against the wall, sighing.

How the hell can I just up and leave her? He thought. She means too much to me. Do I want to risk our friendship for more? Why can’t I just tell her how much she means to me?

Alana slowly got up and walked back into her house through the sliding glass door. She saw Nick sitting in the chair with his head against the wall and his eyes closed.

“Whatcha thinking about Nick?” She asked.

Startled, he opened his eyes quickly. He got up and stood in front of her. He caressed her cheek softly with the palm of his hand. She closed her eyes and rested her cheek against his hand. He pulled her into a hug. Their bodies molded together in a perfect fit. Alana buried her head into his chest and felt tears well up into her eyes. She could felt herself feeling something more and stronger for Nick. But could she tell him? Did she have the courage to tell him before he left her again?
~**********~