- Text Size +
By Monday the next week, Nick took Alana to last doctor’s appointment. Dr. Elision checked out her recent blood work that the nurse took a half an hour before.

“Well, your stitches healed nicely. You won’t really have a scar at all,” he said “but I really need to discuss this blood work.”

Alana was sitting on the examination table and Nick was sitting in a chair close by.

“I compared your blood work to now and when you were in the hospital,” he continued. “There isn’t much of a change.”

Alana looked at Nick with a worried look.

“What does that mean?” Nick asked.

The doctor looked at both of them. “I want to put Alana out of work for 6 months.” He said bluntly.

“What?!?” she cried. “I can’t be out of work for that long. I have bills to pay!”

“Alana,” Nick said “Just listen, I’m sure he has a good reason why.”

Dr. Elision pulled up his stool to show both Alana and Nick the comparison of blood work.

“See, nothing has changed. All of these,” he said circling on the chart “need be raised up 35 to 40 percent. And to do that, I have to pull you out of work so that you can build up your strength so that you are back to yourself 100 percent,” he explained. “This note will excuse you from work for six months as a medical leave, and then we will go from there.”

Alana walked out of the exam room without Nick. He took the note from the doctor.

“Mr. Carter,” Dr. Elision said. “I am worried about her. She works herself too hard. Please look after her.”

Nick nodded and followed her out of the doctor’s office. He found Alana sitting in her car. He drove back to her house and pulled her car into the garage. She got out, unlocked the door and ran inside. He closed the door behind him and followed her into the house. He found her curled up on her bed crying.

“Lana,” he said. “Come here.”

Nick sat on her bed after tossing off his shoes. He pulled her into his arms and let her cry. She buried her face into his shoulder and cried. He rubbed her back. (She was wearing a basic green tank top and jean shorts. He was wearing a white Nike t-shirt and tan khaki shorts).

“It’s not fair,” she sobbed. “I can’t support myself without working for six months. I have bills to pay.”

Nick lifted her head so that she was looking at him. He wiped her tears with his fingertips.

“Lana,” he said softly. “I’m not going let anything happen to you. Don’t worry about your bills; they will get taken care of. “

“I don’t want you to pay for my bills,” she whispered. “They are my responsibility, not yours.”

“Listen to me babe; you have to understand that you can’t do everything in the world. You have to let other people help you. I am offering my help to you so that you can relax and get back on your feet. You have to get back to yourself. And that is going to take 6 months or more the doctor said,“ Nick said.

She sniffed. “Are you still leaving on Friday?”

“Lana, I have to leave. As much as I don’t want to leave you, I still have to go. You know I hate leaving you, but I always come back here, to be with you no matter where I am,” he replied. “It’s only three and a half weeks. I’ll be back before Thanksgiving.”

Nick did come back for Thanksgiving. He was then gone again three days after, leaving Alana once again, alone. A few days into December, news flooded the entertainment field that Nick was dating Pairs Hilton. Alana definitely knew that she wasn’t going to see her best friend for a long time.
~**********~