- Text Size +
"Revelations"


Chapter 14: Pain for Pleasure


Rose ran from the med ward over to what she knew to be her brother's cabin. She was just hoping those two field medics were still behind her and had taken her insane screams about her brother seriously. Ana and Howie they said their names were. They both looked very familiar to her and she knew she's met them before she just wasn't sure where or how. What scared her however was the fact that Ana is an exact duplicate of the child in her dreams and visions. Also, when she first saw her, she had an immediate feeling of safety and love around her that she couldn't explain. She shook the troubling thoughts out of her head when she picked up speed, ignoring the searing pain that had entered her stomach just then. She knew if something ever hurt Nick to the point where he'd have to leave her, it would destroy her. If the gunshot did it, it'd be her fault and she wouldn't be able to live with that knowledge eating at her. She burst into the cabin, running to her twin immediately, who was lying on the bottom bunk bed with AJ sitting beside him.

"Ice, you alright?" She cried, tugging at her flaxen locks nervously.

He gazed at his sister affectionately, pulling himself up into a sitting position. He cried out in pain quietly, trying to hide it from her.

"Yes Rain, I'm okay. Ain't I always?" he replied softly, smiling at her.

She grinned back at him, looking into a pair of ocean blue eyes identical to her own.

"I thought that was MY line."

"I stole it from you." he was stopped for he began to painfully cough up a small amount of blood, but before Rose could say anything, he caught sight of the two medics entering the cabin. Rose noticed and explained it to him.

"These two are Howie and Ana, our troops field medics. I went and got them the moment I saw you get hurt."

"I thought I told you that I didn't need a doctor." He murmured faintly.

"WELL THAT DOESN'T MEAN I'LL LISTEN! You and I need to have a serious talk about everything LATER." She told him, a hint of anger hidden within her voice.

The two medics walked past them to Nick.

"Guys, can we have some room?" Howie asked them kindly. The two teens moved and sat by the table. The twenty-year-old Latino ran his caramel hands through his dark curly strands tiredly.

"Rose, right?"

"Yeah, this is AJ, and the one you guys are examining is my twin brother Nick."

"Where was he shot?" Ana questioned, tying her blonde curls into a bun while Howie opened the medical kit.

"His stomach." AJ answered as he saw a look of pure anguish flash across Rose's sapphire eyes as she grabbed her own stomach in pain. She then started coughing violently with a little blood of her own coming up. Her lightly tanned face became flushed, her golden strands disheveled, and her mouth stained crimson. He gazed as her sympathetically, his chocolate eyes filled with concern.

"Rain, you okay?"

"Of course Alex, why wouldn't I be?"

He shakes his head, not convinced. He knew she was hurting. The twins had very different personalities in a lot of ways, but their unwillingness to admit they were sick or hurt wasn't one of them. Anyone close to them knew that they were annoyingly stubborn when it came to that, even with each other.

"Lets talk."

"I'm fine!"

"Outside."

"I'M FINE!

He stood up, ignoring her protests as he pulled her outside the cabin along with him. The sun was just barely rising, for that he was grateful cause the fighting hasn't started yet. The sky was a beautiful hue of reds and oranges, forever peaceful, unlike the soon to be battle around them.

"All right, what is it?"

"Nothing. Why does something always have to be wrong?" She screamed, jumping up. Another flash of pain came across her as she then went to her knees from its wrath.

AJ smirked, "Are you sure?"

"Yes."

"Don't lie to me girl, you know I can tell."

Rose composed herself and stood up, looking him straight in the eye.

"Fine, I'm really pissed off at Ice. He's doing really stupid stuff and treating me as if I was six instead of eighteen. I would tell him how I feel, but he's hurt, and I am worried cause I do love him. But this bugs me…A LOT. Happy now!" She spat out glaring at him, her own eyes full of fury and fire.

"Why are-" he stopped, seeing her bend over coughing up the crimson liquid yet again. "We'll talk later." They went back inside. He wondered why she was so mad. He didn't expect her answer; all he wanted her to do was admit she was hurt. What she told him completely took him by surprise. He went to the medics, about to tell them that Nick wasn't the only twin that was hurt, when he saw them apply a pale cream over the injury. They then began to wrap medical tape around a now standing Nick.

"What's that?" he asked them, seeing Rose sit by the table again out of the corner of his eye. Ana glanced up at him, walking with AJ over to Rose while Howie finished wrapping up Nick.

"A skin cream. It builds a new layer of skin over the injury and helps it heal faster and prevents infection. It'll be injured internally still, but I give it a day, two tops." She then notices Nick's sister holding her own stomach and grimacing in pure suffering.

"Were you injured too?"

"No."

She looks to AJ, hoping he'd know if she was hurt recently and how.

"Not sure, but a few minutes ago, she was coughing up blood just like her brother."

She shook her head sighing. "I've heard of twins having sympathy pains for each other, but this is ridiculous." She grabs the medical box and takes off Rose's black jacket, revealing her white tank top now stained crimson red. She pulls it up a little seeing a hole torn within the delicate flesh, gushing with blood. She searches for the bullet that should have caused it, but doesn't find one, her blue-green eyes swirling with puzzlement. She gazes over at Howie, thinking maybe he might have the answer.

"Hey D?"

"Yes?"

"You finished with Nick?"

"Yeah, why?"

"Come here, you've gotta see this."

He walked over along with Nick. He looked Rose's stomach over, as Ana began to clean up with anesthetics so she can apply the cream.

"Where's the bullet Ace?"

"Wasn't one."

His kind face crinkled in confusion as he focused his attention on the eighteen-year-old girl before him. He felt sorry for her and her brother. No one this young should be in a war. He felt an uncontrollable sense of compassion, like the one he would have for a younger brother. He didn't understand it. He shook his head softy, knowing he had to concentrate on his job before him.

"Did you get shot too?"

Rose's eyes twinkled in disbelief.

"NO."

"Yeah," Nick called out walking up behind her chair. "I made sure she didn't, trust me." Rose glared at him as AJ wrung his hands together nervously.

"And look what happened." He countered.

Ana and Howie both ignored them and continued to apply the cream to Rose's stomach.

"So what DID happen?" Ana asked, smirking at her. "How DID you end up getting hurt if you didn't get shot."

"I don't know guys, I seriously don't know."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Jamelet groaned, watching people dance to the pulsing Latin music without worry. Her eyes went to the TV screen, which was now playing non-stop news on the war. She stared on; relieved when she saw that AJ's, Rain's, Ice's, and Ali's names weren't on the casualty list yet. Her brown melancholy eyes went back to the people on the dance floor. None of them had a care in the world; none of them knew the pain and unbearable heartbreak that had made a home in her ever troubled soul. She wiped away the tears forming in the corners of her eyes, wondering if she'd ever see her boyfriend or her friends ever alive again.

"I wonder that too."

She jumped, turning to see Brian, the person she knew Alison was closest to.

"What?"

"You're wondering if you'll ever see them again. I know because I think it too."

She sighed, ringing up an order at the register, writing it down on a slip of paper and pinning it up for Kevin or Kim to pick up.

"Do you think we will?"

Brian gazed at her, his deep blue eye shinning in understanding as he nodded softly.

"Yeah, I think we will. The twins are to damn stubborn, Ali's a fighter, and with AJ looking out for them…they're guaranteed to come back."

Jamelet smiled at him faintly. "You're right, they will come back." She embraced him tenderly.

"Thank you I needed that."

Brian smiled back, hugging her back tightly. "Hey I needed that too, believe me. They'll come back Jam, and we'll see them all alive again. You just wait."