- Text Size +
Chapter 21 - Within a Dream

Rose moaned softly, struggling to relocate herself with her surroundings. Her body tingled with a new sensation of cold. She could feel Nick shaking her shoulders quickly and roughly. His screams of panic edged her nerves. Her eyes fluttered softly against the bright sunlight. She moaned, pulling herself into Nick's arms. She buried her head against his chest, listening to his breathing. She could hear Nick muttering curses as sirens invaded her ears.

"Rose, wake up," Nick ordered.

"Don't Nicky," Rose complained softly.

"She killed all those people," Jamelet whispered in complete shock as she stood a few feet away from the twins. She watched on the bank as soldiers swarmed the building with fever. Men shouted prayers to God as they entered. Each man dressed in heavy clothing as they pulled the stiff corpses from their icy graves. Each body lay within a mess of crimson icicles. Jamelet felt sick as she pressed her forehead against the curve of AJ's inner arm.

"It's okay, J, it's okay," he soothed softly. AJ felt guilty as he tried to console Jamelet. He shouldn't have taken her with him. He shouldn't have tried to convince her to be strong for the twins. He should have really kept her home, away from the dangers. He sighed as he kissed the top of her head. He wished she didn't have to sit through this agony.

"How could she do that?" Jamelet whispered.

"I don't know at all," AJ muttered with confusion. He still didn't understand how he could have blown his car to pieces. His hands were flaking with dead skin. His fingertips purged with blackness. AJ coiled his fingers against Jamelet's hands, shaking his head in disbelief.

"Did I really blow up that tree?" Jamelet finally asked.

AJ glanced at her, his pity growing stronger. Jamelet was so confused since he had returned from the military. She woke up at night screaming. AJ tried to ignore it, since she didn't tell him. He just generally felt horrid for her constant nightmares. Trying to reassure her, he kissed her eyelids. "I'm really sorry, J, but I can't even answer that."

"Can we go home soon?" Rose finally moaned against the quiet conversations. Nick sighed with relief, pulling his sister onto her feet. She stumbled as she became oriented. She reached up to rub her temples, trying to comprehend the realties of her world. Her skin prickled as she stared into Nick's eyes. He looked to be filled with pity as he kept his arms wrapped around her.

"Man, Rain, you really screwed things up today," Nick sighed softly.

"What?" Rose whimpered.

"That building is destroyed."

"What building?"

"Don't you remember?" Nick asked with complete bewilderment.

"Remember what?"

AJ became furious and unwrapped Jamelet from his grasp. Jamelet fell to the ground in shock. He strode toward Nick, pulling him away from Rose. He seized her upper arms, shaking her firmly. His eyes were dark with anger and fear. He didn't want her to play games any longer. "Don't you sit here and lie to us, Rose!"

"Lie about what?" Rose whispered.

"I CAN'T PLAY THESE GAMES ANYMORE!" AJ screeched with annoyance. "You've thrust Jamelet and I into this world of confusion, and it's hurting both of us! You can't keep things from us anymore! Don't you dare lie to me! You need to tell me what happened in there! You got mad and ice froze everything! You killed so many people in there! What were you thinking and how did you do that?"

"I-I-I-I don't know!" Rose stuttered with fear. Images of ice and frozen water began to pulsate against her brain. Icicles drained down from her fingertips. People running in fear as their organs spilled upon the glassy ice. Rose shook her head as AJ growled at her. She didn't want to remember.

"Don't lie to me," AJ ordered.

"AJ! BACK OFF!" Nick growled, becoming alarmed for his twin.

"No! Not until she tells me!" AJ raged.

"J! Stop it! Don't do this!" Jamelet feared.

"I DON'T KNOW WHY I DID IT! LEAVE ME ALONE! I DON'T KNOW! I DON'T KNOW! I DON'T KNOW!" Rose screamed, breaking AJ's grip upon her arms. She wilted to the grass, covering her face with her numb hands. Her body shook as she tried to remember. Tears collected into her clammy palms. She felt Nick place reassuring hands upon her shoulders, but this time it didn't create her haven of safety. This time, it caused torment.

*~*~*

Ana grabbed the last bag from the camouflaged jeep. Howie beamed a happy smile as she slung it against her shoulder. Within five minutes, Ana would be in the air going home with Howie at her side. Howie wrapped his arm around her hip as they walked along the bank toward the federation building. There they would be issued their certificates for departure.

Howie couldn't be more thrilled to get Ana away from the death. She had been a different person during the times of trouble. He hoped that the trip home would cure her from their ailing circumstances. He didn't want to think of her killing. He wanted her to have smiles upon her innocent face as they whispered to each other during late night chats. He wanted to have her back to the normal side of reality. He wanted his Ana home.

"We're going home!" Howie whispered in Ana's ear, causing her to shy away. He laughed, knowing that her ears were sensitive. Her most delicate spots were her neck and ears. Howie held dreams within his heart of kissing her neck to hear her gentle laughter. He had to shake the thoughts free from his mind as he glanced into her sorrowful ocean eyes. "Ace, what's the matter?"

"I don't know, there's just something that makes me want to stay," Ana answered truthfully. She glanced back to see the darkening sky light up with battle cries and warriors' guns. She loved the feeling of being mixed within the turmoil. The smell of blood, death, and gunpowder flamed a passion of destruction. Something within her soul cried for justice when she glanced upon the many men fighting for their planets. She felt exuberant when she passed her sword through the many men. Something within the war had taken a piece of her heart.

"Ana, we're not staying," Howie answered quickly, steering her gaze away from the war.

"I know," she answered with defeat. She turned her attention onto the building in front of her. Her eyes grew wide in surprise as she watched several ambulances rush to the building. Her mouth hung slightly ajar as she watched several body bags being tossed onto the first ambulance. She could feel Howie's muscles tighten against her. "Love, what is going on?" she asked with fear.

"I… I don't know," he answered, pulling her. Ana and Howie broke into a run down the field. Ana's mind began to plan a certain excavation plan of helping. Her mind set against the triage portion of her medical knowledge. She ran up to the door, planning to enter, but the first door was sealed shut. Her eyes grew wide as a burning sensation erupted against her fingers. Howie grabbed her and yanked her backward. "It's frozen shut, Ace," he explained, watching her fingers numb from the cold.

"Doctors," a voice called, recognizing the signatures on Ana and Howie's jackets. They turned around to see the commander of the military come forward. He looked genuinely displeased and fatigued. He shook their hands as Ana gazed into the icy building. Tears prickled her eyes as she noticed the young children cuddled within a frozen embrace at the corner of the door. Their large brown eyes looked up in fear as they died together. Ana felt anger recoil within her soul - children never deserved death. Howie couldn't shake the feeling that this was all too familiar. "I presume your Lord and Dorough?" the man asked.

"Yes, of course," Howie answered quickly.

"You were the best of the team," he answered ruefully.

"Do you need our help?" Ana asked, dying to help.

"No, you two are on deport, and you can't provide any help with this situation."

"Why can't we?" Howie voiced.

"Everyone is dead in there. We're just cleaning up."

"What happened?" Ana asked again, amazingly curious.

"We don't know exactly. We think the Darker-Elitions implanted a bomb within the port. About ten minutes ago, the bomb erupted, sending blazing cold about the room. Everyone died instantly, their bodies exploded with ice. No one could escape, because the doors were frozen shut. It's a horrible thing," the commander replied with sadness.

"Oh my," Ana heaved.

"I'm sorry," Howie answered, clamping his hands onto Ana's heavy shoulders.

"Four people did survive, though."

"Really, who?" Ana asked in surprise, knowing no one could survive the sub-zero temperatures. Her heart ached to know what really caused the accident. Darker-Elitions would have been storming the building by now if it were their doing. She concentrated on the commander as he searched the surroundings.

"Oh! They're sitting over there. They were waiting for their sister to come to the station. I just pray that she's not in the deceased party. The poor kids," the commander answered sadly as he directed Ana's gaze toward the bank. "Your plane is already loaded and waiting for you. I'll have your luggage stored in the plane immediately. It's waiting by the bank."

Ana's heart immediately dropped when her eyes connected with the twins' stares. The message that Rose screamed at her began to replay against her soul. She then noticed the couple that she had rescued from a car accident in previous weeks. Her stomach churned against the violent nature of her soul. She felt sick as the commander excused himself to see to other orders. She immediately turned back to Howie, struggling to orient herself. She would not subject herself to the twins' ridicule. She immediately straightened her shoulders in arrogance and loathing.

"Ana!" Howie shouted as he watched her walk straight toward the plane. She ignored the twins' quick movements to catch her attention. He was torn as he ran to catch up with her. He grabbed her by the shoulders, slowing her down. "What are you doing?!" he screeched.

"Getting on the plane," she answered as she started to climb the steps.

"The twins want to talk to you," he answered as he heard their shouting.

"I don't care."

"Ana, you can't just leave them with questions!"

"I am not going to force myself to listen to their bantering!" Ana growled as she was suddenly propelled backward. Howie reached to grab her, but she tumbled down the stairs. Pain invaded her back as shadows grew against her pale skin. She muttered a tight string of curses as the twins towered above her. Howie immediately ran down the steps to protect Ana, but was blocked by AJ. "What the Hell do you think you're doing," Ana asked menacingly as Nick stepped against her shoulder to keep her planted against the ground.

"You need to listen to us," he argued.

"All you two do is talk about nonsense," Ana hissed.

"It's not nonsense! You really are our sister! Why can't you see that? Don't you remember anything about Venus? Don't you remember why you felt the surge of energy when you touched me? Can't you even remember what our names our?" Rose asked with distress as her light blue eyes searched Ana's face for some kind of memory. Tears pierced her eyes as she saw no reaction from Ana.

"You are part of our world, whether you like it or not," Nick answered quickly. He watched Rose bring a hand to her mouth to keep from crying out. "You were born on Venus as Anastacia Grace Lord Carter, older sister to us: Nickolas and Rose. Our father instructed you and taught you the ways of power, so you could rule one day. You have a tattoo on your left ankle that is the sign of the Imperial Court of Venus. You belong with us. You cared for us like a mother, since our mother was frequently ill. You taught us everything we know. Why can't you believe us?"

Ana's hand instantly went down to her bare left ankle. Rose's eyes lit up as Ana covered the tattoo. Ana went silent as Rose clapped her hands. Rose's eyes twinkled with delight as she crouched down to Ana's side. She brought her hands against Ana's temples, making her listen. "You were my big sister! You did everything for us! You even cared for us when we were sick. Come on, Ana! Can't you see? Don't you know that you truly are one of us! You love dolphins, and you always go to the sea to watch them. You ride horses along the banks of the sands. You are constantly singing, because music stirs new emotions in your heart. You crack silly jokes, and are constantly teasing people. You love to help people, and are fascinated by medicine and that's why you're a Para-Surgeon. We know everything about you, Ana. Why can't you believe us?"

Ana went utterly silent as she flicked her gaze back from one twin to the other. At first, Rose and Nick thought they had won her heart. She wetted her bottom lip as she spoke, "I can't believe you because you two remind me of the serpent that tricked Eve into eating the apple," Ana hissed, as her eyes suddenly darkened. She reached up and grasped Nick's foot, twisting it in the opposite direction. He screamed out in pain as she pushed him off her shoulder. She wrenched the ankle as she pushed forward, causing him to fly into the air to a surprising height and land on his behind. Ana instantly jumped up to a crouch position as Rose rushed to Nick's side. Ana took the time to hurry into the plane with Howie cradling her.

"Nick! Are you okay?" Jamelet blurted as she rushed over to his side. Nick held his foot, rocking back and forth. His eyes were squeezed tightly in pain as Rose helped him to his feet. He balanced all his weight against his uninjured ankle. "Nick?"

"I'm fine," he answered with clenched teeth.

"See, she doesn't believe you. This is useless you two. She has no idea what to believe any more. She's been through a lot of trauma, and maybe you should drop it. She doesn't want you two to bother her, and I think she's right. Please stop this foolishness so we can go home," AJ scorned as he drew Jamelet into his arms.

"Fine," Nick gritted. "We'll go home."

"Nick," Rose gasped.

"Yes, we're going home. However, we're taking the same plane as her," Nick answered, making Rose help him up the same stairs Ana had used to escape.