- Text Size +
“Revelations”

~**Chapter 23: Divided we fall…

Rose sat in the green lawn chair on the balcony, tugging at her flaxen locks, hoping to get away. She sighed in despair, knowing deep down, that she could never avoid him for long.

“ROSE AILEEN CARTER! WE NEED TO TALK! WHAT HAPPENED TODAY WON’T GO AWAY! I DON’T CARE HOW MUCH YOU WANT IT TOO CAUSE IT WON’T!! NOW STOP ACTING LIKE A FIVE YEAR OLD AND TALK TO ME ABOUT THIS!!!”

Nick came out into the chilly December air, slamming the sliding glass door furiously. He towered above her, glaring at her, his eyes burning with rage.

“C’mon, what happened with you today? How did everything freeze like that? I know you did it, but why? How? You slaughtered so many people back there. AJ might not have gone about it the right way, but what he said was right to a certain extent. You DO need to explain to me what you did. That’s not the only thing that bothers me either.” He looked at her swollen right ankle pointedly, then gazing at his own. “Why is your ankle hurt like mine?? You didn’t do anything to it.” He kneeled down, her sapphire orbs staring into his own.

“Rose, what is going on??”

Rose shot up, a look of pain crossing her face as she put weight on her injured ankle accidentally, immediately shifting the weight to her uninjured one. Her blue eyes blazing with annoyance for her brother.

“I don’t know Nickolas Gene Carter!! How many times do I have to say this! You think you know everything, that I really do know what’s going on, but you’re wrong!! I know less than you do! I’m eighteen years old Nick! An adult! When will you accept this and stop treating me like a child! I didn’t know at the station, I don’t know now!!! LEAVE ME ALONE! LEAVE ME ALONE! LEAVE ME ALONE!!!!”

She turned from her brother, not being able to look at him, her fury rising quickly against her twin. Rose went to leave, reaching for the sliding glass door, when Nick grabbed her arm, stopping her.

“Let go.” she growled fiercely.

“Don’t lie to me anymore Rain, I freaking tired of it!!”

Her eyes flashed, a look of hurt briefly flickering across her face from what he said, before being replaced by pure hatred.

“LET. ME. GO.”

“Rain, I-“

“Don’t,” she cried, her voice quivering with deep uncontrollable emotion, “call me that…ever…again.”

She shook her arm free, limping quickly away from her brother. She pulled on her New York Giants jersey on over her white tank top hurriedly and rushed out the door, not bothering to grab a jacket. Nick’s eyes followed her, tears forming as he began to regret what he just said. He heard tires squeal angrily into the night and sighed, knowing she had taken their car.

‘Great, no my twin sister hates me’ he thought bitterly, ‘ This makes my day sooo much better, the whole day has been insane.’

His thoughts went to earlier that day when they were at the airport. How he and Rose would have been arrested if they didn’t back off of Ana. How she had hurt them by her denial of being their sister. How when the cousins had showed up, Rose had tried to walk over to Brian, but started to collapse suddenly in pain. Fortunately, AJ had caught her and she clenched her jaw as he limped over and they all began to examine her ankle. They pulled up her pant leg, revealing shades of blue, black and purple covering an ankle two times the size it should be. It was an exact duplicate of the one Ana had injured, his own right ankle. He shuddered violently think of when similar events had occurred, but were always ignored. He worried about what it might possibly mean for him and his baby sister.

“Now to find Rose…she went somewhere to think on things, but where??” he mused, limping into the apartment. “Maybe I should let her come back on her own.” He shook his head no, images of the ice horror she had created coming back to mind. He immediately grabbed his red and black cell phone, beginning to dial, fearing the potential damage his little sister could cause.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Rose sped outside of the main city, wanting to get away from the familiar sites that she knew would torture her. She had no idea where she was going, only that she wanted to get away from Nick as soon as possible. She parked the jeep at a small park, getting out and heading slowly to a small grassy hill. Sitting down, her eyes flooded with tears, memories of what she had done flashing before her eyes. Bodies exploding. Ice attacking and murdering innocent people at her own command as icicles formed and penetrated heads, killing them instantly. Little children frozen solid, their faces caught in a look of fright. The screams of terror echoed within her mind, torturing her sensitive soul.

“Why ME???” she cried out in agony.

She knew why the subject bothered her so. It was the one thing she could never tell him. The feelings that had raced through her body. When she had started, she had no idea what she was doing, but as she went on she was absorbed by it, giving her a feeling of pure ecstasy that she has never felt before. Her hands brushed off her black bellbottoms nervously, scared of what it meant. The thought of not being able to stop once she started made her shudder, that was why she reacted the way she did.

It had made her lash out at Nick. The one person who understood her fully. The balance she needed, her strength for when she became weak. Her cerulean orbs gazed at the sparkling sky as she stood up, starting towards her jeep. There was only one other person she could go to…

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Jamelet groaned, standing beside her boyfriend in Nick and Rose’s apartment. Her amber eyes went about the living room, over to the three cousins on the light blue couch: Ali, Kevin, and Kim, then settling on Nick. He paced worriedly, limping subtly, his eyes mirroring the anxiety that was troubling him. Jamelet knew of the closeness he had with Rose, and was surprised it had gotten to this point, but understood that the fight had to be bad to get there.

“Listen Nick, she’s fine. You know Rose, she can handle anything that comes her way.”

“That’s exactly what I’m afraid of, look at how she handled her anger earlier.”

AJ looked to the young man, knowing he might be right about that one.

”Have faith in her dude, she’s eighteen, not three.” He told him, his eyes sparkling. “I’m sure that she’s okay.”

He stopped pacing, his hands fluttering up to his hair, running them through the blonde spikes in frustration.

“I hope so…” his gaze caught sight of the three cousins realizing that one was missing.

“Hey, where’s Brian???”

“He’s waiting back at the house instead. In case she decides to go there.” Alison piped up, her dark brown locks cascading down her back.

“Do you think she will??”

Kim nodded, her brown tresses gleaming in the light, showing off the natural red highlights.

“Bri sure seems to think so. He’s pretty much betting on it.”

Nick nodded, his shoulders slumping forward with anxiety and fatigue.

“Don’t worry, Brian will call the moment she shows.” Kevin replied, his emerald eyes focusing on the young teen with worry.

“Yeah, but if she doesn’t I know some other places we can look.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Brian stared at the TV before him, watching the current show without interest. His mind was on other things, in another place entirely. So much had happened to him in the past few weeks, it had him wishing for the simple life before all this never-ending drama started. He yawned, his azure eyes going to a clock on the wall, showing him it was 12:30 am already.

“Come on, how long does it take to find ROSE of all people? Damn.’ He thought, brushing his sandy red hair off of his forehead. Brian then thought he heard a slight tapping, but ignored it, thinking it was the TV. He heard it again a few seconds later, only much louder. He went and opened the door, illuminating a tear stained Rose standing quietly in the night. He shook his head, knowing how relieved her sibling would be once he found out. He shivered in the cold air that was entering the house.

“Rose? You okay?”

She gazed at him, her melancholy crystal blue eyes shimmering as she shook her head no. Brian’s heart went out to the young girl, putting his arm around her when he led in and shut the door behind them. They say on the cream leather love seat in the family room silently, the only sound being the ticking of the clock above them.

“Do you wanna talk about it?”

“I-“

“I mean, I know Nick’s side of the story, he told me earlier when he called to tell me you ran off. He wanted me to call him the moment I saw you…if I did. Now I’m not gonna call him if you don’t want me to. Do you?”

“P-Please don’t, I ran to you cause-cause…”

“It felt right, I know…” he interrupted feeling the same way as an undeniable love for her began to consume him.

“Rose nodded, memories of the love her and Brian had once shared on Venus invading her brain. She shook her head, knowing she couldn’t tell him of their past on Venus just yet. She rested her head upon his shoulder subconsciously, desperately wanting the comfort and love he used to give her.

“Will you tell me what's bothering you?” Brian asked softly, “I won’t tell anyone else what you tell me. You can trust me, I promise.”

Rose lifted her head up, the story spilling from her mouth. Her thoughts on Ana's betrayal, why her and Nick still persisted. What happened at the station, even the secret thrill it gave her, something she wouldn’t even tell Nick. Everything came out about the fight and her suspicions on her unexplainable identical injuries that she had with her brother. All but Venus was told to him, he wouldn’t be able to handle the story now, and the knowledge hurt her terribly.

“Oh my…”

She turned her face and brought it closer to his, water forming in the corners of her eyes once again after seeing Brian’s shocked reaction.

“Shh…it’s okay Angel…” he murmured to her lovingly.

Her spine straightened, her head snapping up towards him, shocked at the old Venusian nickname he used to have for her long ago.

“What did you call me?”

His cheeks flushed red, turning his face away shyly, not knowing where the name came from or why it felt so natural for him to call her that.

“Uh…Angel.”

She smiled at him through her tears.

“Oh, well, I like it. Call me it anytime you want.”

He rubbed her hand soothingly as she choked back her tears. Her mind a puzzling jumble of mixed emotions.

“Bri-bear?”

His eyes became filled with confusion as she realized her mistake. He didn’t have her old nickname for him in this time.

“Yeah”

She exhaled softly; happy he ignored it in a sense.

“Am I a monster for what I did? I don't know how I froze things, but I did murder many innocent people. I didn’t care and I liked the feeling the power gave me. “

He hugged her tightly, running his hands through her silky golden strands, kissing her forehead lovingly. It felt so right, so natural, that neither noticed it. She lied up against him, tears going down along her face.

“No, in my eyes nothing will ever make you a monster. Rose, you have a good heart and a sweet soul, and that’s what matters to me.”

They stayed like that, listening to the beating of the other’s heart contentedly. Forgetting everything around them but each other for the first time in over a thousand years. Never realizing the danger that was rapidly nearing the quiet country style home.