- Text Size +
Chapter 33 - Ancient History

Howie became stressed as he watched everyone gather in AJ and Jamelet’s home. The twins were sitting with Brian and Alison, talking heatedly about something with Jamelet and AJ. Kevin and Kimberly sat back, genuinely absorbing the continued conversation around them. Howie noted that the chatting continued to whirl around simple things. What everyone was doing tomorrow. What they’d have for dinner. Where everyone would be staying. What might be happening the next day. It began to tear Howie’s heart in half, it seemed as if no one cared that Ana was missing. He was tired of the false hopes they were creating. Something sour was stirring in his heart, and he could barely understand it. “Guys, stop lollygagging. Ana was kidnapped last night,” Howie stated quite bluntly.

Everyone fell silent. Jamelet and AJ winced at the coldness in Howie’s voice. He seemed almost too bitter. Jamelet recalled before these times that Howie was one of the gentlest souls in all the worlds. He always used his kindness to tame Ana’s wild spirit. The twins held no look of shock upon their faces. However, Kimberly, Brian, Alison, and Kevin looked genuinely shocked. “What did you say?” Kevin asked calmly.

“AJ was hungry for ice cream. So, we all stopped at this stupid ice cream parlor. This creep of a guy approaches Ana, saying that she’s his long lost princess. She told him to back off, and then the guy had all the Elitions attack us. We each got shot, and Ana was dragged out. We couldn’t do a thing,” Jamelet explained as she placed a hand upon Howie’s heavy shoulder. “They took her right from us, and we haven’t a clue.”

“Why didn’t you chase them down?” Alison asked in complete horror.

“Because we didn’t have the chance,” AJ explained. “We were lying on the floor – bleeding.”

“Oh-my-gosh, Howie, I’m so sorry,” Kimberly whispered with grief. She could see the pain flooding his soul. She suddenly imagined the kind of impact that would happen on her soul if Kevin were taken away by force. Kimberly would be completely lost without Kevin. Her heart went out to Howie as he sat there in silence. She understood that each of them were linked together by their birth dates, and the fact that they were born the very second the other was born. It was a stronger link than anyone could realize. “We’ll get her back, Howie.”

“No, we won’t,” Rose finally announced. She pulled off her backpack, setting it on the floor. Her light blue eyes were stony and cold. Nick nodded with agreement. Everyone looked at the twins with astonishment. Rose seemed completely oblivious to the impact her statement had upon the group. She retrieved the two journals from her backpack.

“Excuse me?” Howie growled, finally standing up.

“Ana is quite fine where she is right now,” Rose repeated.

“How can she be fine with those sadistic people?” Jamelet questioned, trying to swallow her anger at the twins’ lack of caring. Howie was falling apart from the kidnapping, and the twins were condoning the act of violence.

“Because, she’s one of those sadistic people,” Nick answered.

“How dare you accuse her of being something she’s not?” Howie fumed.

“Howie, please sit down,” Nick commanded.

“I don’t have to listen to you—”

“We can prove what we’re trying to say, so sit down!” Rose commanded with a glare. Howie swallowed his pride as Jamelet offered him a shaky smile. He brought himself back down to the couch, crossing his arms over his chest with abhorrence. Everyone agreed with his decision, taking various seats around the room. Rose took a deep breath, gathering her thoughts. “I know that all of us have had visions and whatnot about our past. They’re happening all the time, and I know that most of us have a solid idea about who were are. Nevertheless, we were given these journals. Jamelet, AJ, and Howie – you guys will see them in a little bit… But they were sent because our father’s journal and then our Aunt Jane’s journals. But, a little bit ago, Ana sent us a vision… She has the power to control our fears, so they were really nightmares. Inside, we found out that she is a part of the Darker Elitions. She is their lost princess. She’s the one that started this entire war. Our father kidnapped her in hopes of training her in the lethal arts and sending her back to the Elitions so that she could destroy her family. The plan backfired. Now, Ana knows of her powers and her father knows exactly what her powers can do. She’s being instructed on how to use them to her fullest potential as we speak. She knows of the betrayal that our father and mother proceeded to try – she’s not a happy camper. So, she’s looking for revenge on us—”

“How dare you say–”

“It’s true, and we’re sorry,” Nick replied abruptly, cutting off Howie’s anger. He glanced at the books that were being passed around the group. The twins knew that they were the strongest in the group because of their bond. They needed to formulate a plan to obliterate Ana’s betrayal. He glanced to Howie, knowing the man was fuming. Nick decided it was time to tell Howie of the other problems. “Howie, there’s something else you need to know about Ana being the heir of the Darker Elition throne. You and her were promised to each other through a betrothal from your mothers. The necklace you wear on your neck is a sign from the Elitions, promising the betrothal. Ana’s bracelet is the same, but with the sign from your kingdom. You were a Prince… However, the betrothal wasn’t suited to Ana’s father’s tastes. Her mother was sentenced to death the day that she came home with Ana from the meeting with your mother. Your planet was destroyed by the Darker Elitions and they captured your mother. You were sent to our planet for protection, and our father saw to it that you remained Ana’s future husband… However, now that she’s back on her own planet – she’s been promised to another… King Ashton of the Darker Elitions.”

Everything hit Howie like a lead weight. He found himself staring at the floor in utter disgust. He had nothing more to say as he tried to sort out his troubled thoughts. Meanwhile, Nick continued with his diplomatic approach to the problem. “Ana is getting stronger than ever. Her powers are growing. She has the power of Suspicion. She controls a person’s fears, time travel, and has the power of a hypnotic voice. I suppose I would call her a Siren of sorts. King Ashton is continuingly prepping her to destroy us. So, I’ve found out all of our powers. We need to spend the next few days gathering and testing our powers.”

“Wait, what do you want us to do once we strengthen our powers?” Alison asked skeptically.

“Isn’t it obvious?” Rose retorted.

“What do you mean?”

“The prophecy tells us that Suspicion will kill us all. She’s going to gain control of all the worlds and destroy the entire solar system. The only way to stop this is to kill her. We need to end the disease of her carnage before it starts. The only way to perform such a task is to kill her,” Rose stated simply, waving her hand to brush away the task as if it were nothing.

That’s when Howie lost control. He jumped up, anger flooding his system. He felt Jamelet and AJ reach to pull him down, but he jerked away. He would not be silenced any longer. Dozens of memories came flooding back into his system. He remembered the first kiss that he shared with Ana – it was when she revealed her secret communications with the dolphins of Venus. She was the most important person in his life. He refused to let the twins slander her name any longer.

“You have no right to decide if Ana lives or dies! You’re not God! You’re petty twins who have always been caught up in the turmoil of ruling the world. Rich, spoiled little brats that commanded everyone as if you ruled us! No one should dare to try to refuse that fact of knowledge, because we all talked about it when the twins weren’t around. So, don’t even think of trying to kill her! You have no right! Ana is the sweetest person in this universe. She dedicated her life to saving other’s lives! She is not the ultimate evil in this society! You don’t control this entire group, no matter what you think! Your egos have gotten far too big, even with the lapses of memory! Just remember that there are others that posses the same kind of authority as you. And I will die before I let you harm Ana,” Howie hissed.

“Howie, you don’t have a clue as to what you’re speaking of,” Rose whispered in utter disgust.

“Oh, bite me. I do know what I’m talking about. You’re not the only ones with VISIONS,” Howie sneered, yanking his jacket from the row of hooks beside the front door of the apartment. He refused to remain in the same house with traitors. His rage boiled against his heart.

“Howie—”

“You two are the ones that will cause the destruction of the universe – not my Ana,” he replied curtly, slamming the door.

*~*~*

Howie hurried down the black streets. The puffs of cold air exploded from his lungs, sending tiny puffs of clouds into the air. He pulled the collar up higher against his neck to stop the bitter winds. He wanted to lash out and hurt someone. He had never been known to do such a thing. He sighed bitterly, shoving his hands deep into his pockets. His mind flooded with sweet images of Ana. He recalled the first cut she received upon her knee. He had spent hours assuring her that she wasn’t dying. He then helped her heal it. He believed that was the instant that Ana linked to the desire of becoming a Para-Surgeon.

‘God, please give me her back. The Darker-Elitions will only corrupt her. I need her more than they do,’ he thought bitterly. He went to cross the street, but found two troops of Darker-Elitions running down the street. Howie’s heart beat frantically, searching for a place to hide. He went to run the other direction, but he tripped against the curb. Howie fell upon the ground, but surprisingly wasn’t frazzled or hurt. The troops’ boots pounded against his stomach, but didn’t harm him. They never noticed his disappearance. Howie sighed with relief. It seemed as if he melted into the curb. Howie’s eyes grew wide when he noted that he could no longer see his body. He took a deep breath, trying to realize what was happening. He had blended into the ground.

Suddenly, Ana’s voice was projected into his head: ‘Ashton… He’s a wonderful man. He gives me so many opportunities. He spends every waking minute with me and teaching me the secrets to my powers. He seems to want to be my life-long companion. He cares for me. And my father is overwhelmed to see me by his side again. He spends every day doting upon my whims. He told me that my mother died when I was younger. It’s a sad discovery, but I suppose I can live without her. My father cares enough about me to be my mother and father. He wants so much for me. He wishes to give me the worlds, and he promised he will. I provide him with joy, and he provides me comfort. If only I can avenge the harm done to my father during my disappearance… He tells me that I must join the Darker-Elitions with a test of dedication. I don’t know how to go about initiating such a task. He says the day will come. I suppose I want to join my father’s army. It would make him happy, but would it make me happy? So many things have been rested upon my shoulders. Ashton pushes me toward the same direction as my father… Yet… I find myself doting upon my lost relationships. I fear for Howie’s life… Where can he be? Does he… That’s right, he is a part of the Coalition against my father. The dreaded twins’ coalition. They want to terminate me before they see the truth of their father’s misfortunes. That shall never happen… I will prevail…’

Howie felt the skies open up as he returned to his normal form. He could still feel Ana’s anger and confusion raging within his veins. She seemed so angry at the world. She wanted to destroy everyone who provided her with the life that she wasn’t supposed to have. Howie trembled at the feelings bubbling from Ana’s emotions. Suddenly, large buckets of rain began to pour down on his trembling body. He curled into a ball, absorbing all of Ana’s thoughts. He suddenly began to burst into fitful sobs. He had to rescue Ana from the hellhole before it was too late.

*~*~*

Ana shoved her hands deep into her pockets as she traveled to the deepest centers of the castle. King Ashton was busy speaking with her father about some last minute details. Ana had barely paid attention to their chatter during their late supper. She needed a break from the excitement. The Darker-Elitions had welcomed her back with a fury of happiness. They praised her for the vengeance she would take against the Carters of Venus. She was delighted at the idea of revenging her mother’s spirit. She had no idea that her mother had been brutally murdered when trying to rescue Ana from the grips of the Carters. Ana had never known her mother. She wished that she could have at least met her once. Her father and husband assured her that her mother was a beautiful woman. Ana just wished that the Carters could have given her the chance to see it herself.

Ana sighed softly, tracing her fingers along the sleek black leather cinched about her body. She could hardly allow herself to gaze into a mirror. Her long blonde locks had been freed from the normal pony-tail she was accustomed to. Now her luscious curls fell down past her shoulders, creating a halo for the silver crown to sit upon. She wore a dark black leather tube top that hugged her chest like a second skin. Ashton had coaxed her into wearing the leather boots that ended at her calves and added the tight leather skirt that ended at the middle of her thighs. She hated her new look, but knew that Ashton expected her to wear these types of clothing daily. Ana wrapped her arms around her bare abdomen, continuing down the corridors. She found herself confused from the attention. She knew that she should feel relieved that she had finally found her place within the world, but something was holding back her excitement.

Ana tuned out her thoughts, gazing at the cages fastened and embedded in the dark stone walls. Ana was aware that she had traveled to the dungeon of the castle. Several groups of men lay within each cage. They stuck their hands out of the cages, pleading for Ana to take them away from their pain. Ana bowed her head down, staring at her boots as she walked. The pleading and screaming of salvation made her heart ache. She didn’t know if she was accustomed to this world of pain and anger. Something in her heart made her distance herself from the beggars. She knew that this was what her life was truly supposed to be. She swallowed her distant thoughts, preparing to go back to her bedchambers.

“Princess Anastacia,” someone whispered.

Ana whipped around in utter surprise. Her eyes traveled to the last cell at the end of the row. She stepped cautiously toward the person who had whispered her name. The cell was dark and dingy. She noticed the small woman sitting in the far corner of the room. She reminded Ana of Howie in a sense. Ana was about to inquire about the small woman, but her father’s voice screeched about the castle. “ANASTACIA! COME TO THE THRONE IMMEDIATELY.”

Ana sighed softly, turning from the cell. She made a mental note to come see the woman later in the evening. She hurried down the corridor, anxious to find her father. She scorned the men that tried to grab at her clothing from their cells. She managed to reach the throne with little trouble. She panted softly as she came upon the scene. Her husband was sitting in his chair, speaking with her father shortly. However, Ana’s gaze fell to the woman lying bound with ropes upon the floor. The woman looked strangely familiar. Ana’s eyes traveled back to her family. “Father? What’s the meaning of this?”

“This is the day of reckoning, Anastacia,” her father announced with a joyous laughter. Ana watched as the guards flooded into the room and shielded the door from anyone who might want to flee. Ana had spent that last hours of yesterday with the guards, showing off her abilities. She had managed to injure every single man that had tried to attack her. Ana stared with confusion at her father. Ashton smirked as he stood up from his throne, walking down to Ana’s side.

“Darling, this is the woman who helped the Carters with your kidnapping,” Ashton explained as a beefy guard hauled the woman to her feet. She muttered a tight string of curses, trying to fight the man. Another guard came to the man’s assistance, grabbing the woman’s other arm and pinning her against the wall. They took time to shackle her to the wall. “Her name is Jane Carter. She took over the throne after the King and his wife met their death. She was supposed to keep the throne until the twin children were old enough to inherit the throne. Thankfully, we were able to foil those plans. Jane is the aunt of the twin children. Why don’t you greet her?”

Ana took a deep breath as Ashton pushed her forward. Her father watched in delight as she approached the woman. Ana brought her hands against her hips, fingering the large sword that lay in the belt looped about her hips. She felt an ominous sensation flood her body. The familiar face of the woman caused Ana to stop for a moment. She looked so much like the twins. Ana swallowed her pride. “You do know who I am, don’t you?” the woman asked.

“My father informed me,” Ana replied curtly.

“Do you know the truth of your identity?” Jane asked with fear.

“I suppose I do. I’m the lost Princess of the Darker-Elitions. Your family kidnapped me in hopes that I might delete my family from the world. You were wrong in doing that. You had no right to take me from where I deserved to be!” Ana growled.

“I didn’t take you. I told my brother to give you back,” Jane stated curtly.

“But you did nothing to alert my family where I was?”

“They would have killed me.”

“And you think we’re not going to kill you now?” Ashton asked with amusement.

Jane fell silent for the longest moment. She stared at Ana as if she were trying to uncover a secret. Ana shifted uncomfortably, wrapping her fingers tightly around the sword’s handle. Jane’s eyes narrowed against Ana’s heart. “You know of your powers then?” Jane asked.

“Yes,” Ana answered.

“You know of your siblings?”

“They’re not her siblings!” her father interrupted.

“You grew up with them,” Jane stated curtly, ignoring Ana’s father’s screeches. Jane made sure that she held Ana’s full attention. Her voice was low and menacing. “The twins are having visions of you and them at early ages of their lives. They miss you, even if they try to deny it. I know that you long to be by their sides also. You were so close to them. You were their protectors. And I know that you remember their mother and father. They adopted you. They took you into a world of love and acceptance. They didn’t want you to have a miserable life in this place. These people are dangerous. They will corrupt you and destroy everything you had with Howie—”

“SHUT UP, WOMAN!” Ashton hissed.

Jane continued, ignoring Ashton and Ana’s father. “You know that you loved Robert and Renette. They were your parents. You knew of nothing different. You called them Father and Mother. You owe it to them to stop this nonsense. Your only causing a drift between yourself and Howie. You cannot afford to be away from the group. They will come after you and try to destroy you if you don’t come back. This family will only cause your destruction. Ask you Father why your birth Mother died. He tells you that she was sick or some other kind of nonsense, that was not true. She spent hours in that dungeon. She was tortured because she wanted the best for you. She wanted you to have the chance to marry someone that you would fall in love with. Howie’s mother and your mother wanted to see you two married and happy! Instead, her love was encountered by your father’s hate. Ask him how she died—”

“THAT’S ENOUGH!” Ashton roared, slamming the palm of his hand against Jane’s cheek. The sharp sound of the smack echoed against the dark walls. A small trail of blood trickled from the side of Jane’s mouth. Ashton grabbed Ana roughly by the shoulders, pulling Ana backward. His light blue eyes turned stormy as anger caused his body to quake. “This woman is just trying to fill your head with nonsense. She is the one that killed your mother. We tell you that she was sick and died to protect you. But this snake only wants to see you die. Don’t you dare allow her to overcome the authority you have in this home—”

“You are foolish if you believe that man,” Jane cursed.

“Excuse me?” Ana finally whispered.

“You will cause the destruction of this entire universe if you believe him,” Jane repeated.

“How can you say that?”

“Because, Anastacia, it’s true. My family allowed you to thrive. We gave you everything that you love and hold dear. The way that you’re thinking now… You will be the ultimate destruction of everything my family tried to make.”

“You’re lying!”

“You are the worst disaster of the century!”

“Anastacia, look into her soul,” Ashton commanded.

Ana stepped forward, taking a deep breath. She closed her eyes. The jealousy and rage boiled within her veins as she thought of destroying the Carter family. They had caused her all the hurt in the entire world. She knew that destroying Jane would be the only way to make the voices stop inside her heart. She opened her eyes as a brilliant glow erupted from the blue-green irises of her eyes. Her mind began to fill with the fears and paranoia of Jane. She saw herself being seized by the Dark-Elitions and placed into the arms of Ashton. Jane’s mind projected the fears of the chosen ten being split apart. There were pictures of the twins being strung up by ropes, pierced with swords by Ana’s hands. The blood rained down upon Ana as the planet was reduced to rubble. Ana saw herself standing atop the rubble, holding her sword high in the air as Howie’s bloody body lay at her feet. She was laughing sadistically.

Ana broke away from the visions in Jane’s head, breathing heavily. Her eyes grew bright with anger as she snatched the sword from the holster at her hip. She towered it high in the air, watching as Jane’s eyes traveled along the sharp blade. Jane trembled with fear as Ana called inside her head. Ana took another blade from the holster that lay strapped against her thigh. She offered the dagger towards Jane.

‘Take the dagger, Queen,’ Ana commanded inside Jane’s head. ‘Show the defiance of your own nation. Plunge the blade into your stomach.’

Jane’s hand trembled as she accepted the dagger. Her mind ached with pain as she recalled all the bitter images of Ana as a youth. She recalled the times that Ana ran to her in the middle of the night, confused at the training Robert forced upon her. Jane would take the child into her arms, soothing her. She promised the child that everything would be okay. Jane’s images faded when she felt her hands shove the blade deep into her own stomach. She choked upon the blood that was expelled into her throat.

“All hail the Queen of Venus,” Ana sneered as she swirled the blade in large circles above her head. She then applied the sword against the wound that Jane had caused. She thrust the blade upward, slicing the delicate flesh and breaking the ribcage. In sweet vengeance, Jane’s organs spilled across the dark floor as blood pooled beneath Ana’s feet. Ana let the blade fall from her hands and reached down to grab the beating heart from the inside of Jane’s body. She closed her hands about the heart, applying firm pressure. Blood poured down her delicate hands as the heart was crushed within the grip.

Ashton whooped with joy as he took the silver goblet from his guard. He bent down and collected blood into the goblet. He raised it high in the air as her father cried out blissfully. He immediately drew Ana close to his body. “Drink this, Darling. Pledge your life to this Regime. Prove that our lives will be a better place with you as our Queen. Your place in our lives will be permanent once you drink the remains of this bitter woman. Do this for our lives together, Darling. Do this for our love,” Ashton beckoned, holding the goblet toward Ana.

She was floored by the request. She took a deep breath, reaching down to grasp her bloody sword. She placed it back into its holster. Something plagued her soul as she stared at the silver cup. Her life would begin again once she sampled the delicacy of the dreadful woman’s blood. Ana could smell the sweet stench of the blood as Ashton lifted it to her lips.

“Do you accept the responsibilities as Queen of the Dark-Elitions?” Ashton asked.

“Yes,” Ana concluded as the silver goblet was tipped upward. Ana opened her mouth as the metallic blood was poured into her mouth. She swallowed heavily against the liquid, choking back the urge to vomit. When the blood was emptied, Ashton chucked the silver goblet down to the floor. He wrapped his arms around Ana’s hips, pulling her close to him. Within an instant, Ashton’s lips embraced Ana's lips in a heated kiss of celebration. Her father smiled happily as he clicked the button to send the hidden tape to the Chosen. The destruction of the world could finally begin after years of turmoil, because Ana was now the Queen of the Darker-Elitions and truly prepared to fight to the death for her newly found family.