- Text Size +
Revelations

Chapter 9 - Salvation, Guidance, and Desire


He sighed softly as he walked into the medical laboratory. The station had equipped the members with the most technologically advanced equipment. They wanted to be prepared for the riots that would occur if World War Three approached. The station held four surgery chambers, more than any other Emergency Surgeon Unit contained. These machines could repair soft tissue damage, bone damage, gunshot wounds, stabbings, and other fatal injuries. If the person were near death when placed inside the tube, the machine would generate them to full working condition in a few short hours.

Right now, Howie watched while Ana was loaded into the chamber. Her spine looked to be shattered with the impact against the brick wall. Blood had soaked through her clothing. Pieces of her tissues were clumped against the metal flooring. Her skull had also fractured. It was a wonder that she was still breathing when Howie ran into the station with her.

"She'll need about twelve hours in the chamber," the surgery chamber technician concluded as he cut the shreds of Ana's clothing off her body. He pressed the button to lower the metal table against the ground. He motioned towards his helpers, lifting Ana's shredded body onto the table. He secured her arms quickly, pressing a few more buttons. His helpers began to apply electrodes and IVs into Ana's veins. He then placed a tube down her throat, making sure that the liquid oxygen would reach and regenerate her tired lungs. With a final press of a button, her body was raised into the tube. Immediately, purple liquids began to fill the tube.

Howie watched in horror as she was completely submersed in the liquid. He had never needed the chamber in his lifetime, nor had he seen his friend within one. He watched as several tools plunged into the liquid, attacking Ana's body. Howie felt his throat dry as the technician stood at his side. "You did the right thing, son. You see, the purple liquid means fatality. If blue liquid fills the tube, it means minor injuries. Orange means serious injuries, but not too serious. Purple, obviously, means that the person would risk death without the care of the tubes."

"Oh," Howie whispered softly.

"She'll be okay, though. Her system is strong, and she's already responding to the minerals and nutrients within the liquid. She will be perfectly healed in twelve hours. Why don't you go get some sleep, son. It'll be awhile."

Howie nodded as the man slapped him on the back. Howie almost crumpled instantly to the cold floor. A burning sensation erupted over the millions of neurons in his body. His back burned with a thousand fires. He gripped the examining table tightly as his knuckles turned ashy white. He gulped for air as his knees buckled. The pain was too intense. The technician and his crew never stopped to check on Howie.

Howie placed his forehead against the side of the cold table. Beads of sweat began to collect at his temples. The sensations attacked his spine like an army fighting for justice. He gasped for air as he struggled to push himself back to a standing position. His back began to dull to a persistent ache. Howie pulled at his black t-shirt, eagerly freeing himself from the confines of it. His chest heaved with a breath of relief. He felt the air fill the capillaries of his lungs. He breathed deeply as he walked forward to the mirrors. Something was plaguing his back.

Howie turned slightly, in order to examine his back. Howie's eyes immediately bugged outward at the sight reflecting against the murky mirror. His back was an array of colors. Blues, blacks, greens, and purples danced about his flaming red skin. Tiny lines of bricks peeked through the angry colors. Blood had crusted against the cuts. Howie hissed in agony as he touched one cut, causing it to break open and bubble with fresh blood.

'How did I get hurt? I wasn't thrown from the blast! I fell down, but I wasn't pressed against the bricks. I never encountered the bricks. Why do I have these marks?' Howie thought to himself as he grabbed a bag of ice from the medical kits. He broke the ice, and began to smear the substance against his skin. The ice packs now were a cream, which instantly cooled the skin when applied. Howie sighed with relief as he rubbed his temples, still trying to understand his predicament.

Before long, alarms and shrieks of bells invaded Howie's thoughts. His head jerked upward to see that night had fallen against the windows. The lights flooding the room came from Ana's tube. He watched as the purple liquid drained from the tube. Ana's hands were released as the IVs recoiled into their respective thoughts. Instantly, the front of the tube opened, and Ana fell forward onto the ground. She sputtered and coughed, her throat raw from the tubes. She shivered as her long blonde curls fell against her bare shoulders.

Howie immediately rushed forward, limping slightly from his back. He grabbed a long towel and draped it around Ana's shivering body. He instantly rubbed her shivering shoulders, trying to bring her warmth. He listened as her breathing steadied with fewer coughs. The night surrounded them until the lights flooded and the medical technician stepped forward.

The technician helped Howie seat Ana up on the examining table. He ignored Ana's few words pleading for water as he took her vitals. He flashed a light against her pupils, watching for the reactions. He felt her spine, arms, and legs. After a few minutes, he glanced at Howie with a smile. "She's perfectly healed, Mr. Dorough. This Para-Surgeon will work another day!"

"Oh, thanks," Ana muttered dryly as she coughed again.

"The liquid oxygen will slowly leak from your lungs into your urinary tract. The mucous that coated your throat during the tube-time will eventually be coughed out. Give your body a day to react to the trauma and rapid healing. I suggested a full day of bed rest, but you should be very aware of that."

"Completely," Ana answered, her eyes slowly adjusting.

"Good." And he was gone.

Howie glanced at Ana as she stood up from the table. Her legs shivered slightly as she regained her sense of balance. He thought she was too quiet as she pulled the towel around her nude body. Ana could feel Howie beside her, so she turned backward. A lopsided smile appeared on her pale face. "Thanks for running me here."

"I wasn't about to let you go," Howie concluded as he offered her his arm. She gripped it tightly as they made their way back to their bunks. Ana's body was drained from the surgery. She pressed against his side for support. Howie vowed silently to himself not to ask her about his own bruises. She was in a more serious condition than he.

"Yeah, I saw you before I was thrown into the chamber."

"Are you awake during that?" Howie asked curiously.

"Not all the time. There are periods of consciousness, but you really don't remember anything. It was just dark, and I was consumed to sleep again," Ana answered briefly. She sighed with relief as Howie ushered her into their room. He immediately helped her into a pair of boxers and tank top. Ana then crawled into her bed, Howie beside her. Ana said nothing this time of him invading her space. Dreams within her nightmares in the past twelve hours had made her very aware of herself. She was still struggling to grasp distant memories, but found herself more weary in the end.

"I was afraid that I lost you," Howie whispered to her as he shut out the lights.

"I was afraid, too," Ana replied, knowing very well why the man had been killed. Her mind had replayed the pictures of the incident. She watched the bright green flame of burning embers rush forward. She had moved just in time to brace herself for impact with the arm. Howie had fallen to the ground, unhurt. Ana thanked God that Howie had been spared, but she would never speak of her heroism.

"The chief talked to me when you were out."

"What does he want? Am I fired?"

"Hell no!" Howie exclaimed with a snort, causing Ana to laugh. Howie had never really been the one to swear between the two. Ana was more or less the rebel of the two. She and Howie were complete opposites. Howie was soft and somewhat shy. Ana was loud and abrasive. Everything Howie did, Ana sought to do the opposite. But it only seemed to make them adore each other more. "He was telling me that the President and the other Rulers are gathering the troops. They're meeting the Darker Elitions at the Canadian border. It seems the President called for us. He wants several of the top surgeons from the states to join the army, learn basic training, and tend to the wounded on the battle-fields."

"He requested us, didn't he?" Ana asked knowingly. She and Howie had been the best of the best in their hometown. They were always offered sections in the newspapers for interviews. They were offered the best jobs throughout the country, but they stayed close to home. Ana felt excitement throb against her veins. Being in the middle of the battlefield sounded like an adventure.

"We were requested directly."

"And when are we leaving?"

"In a matter of days."

*~*~*

He paced repeatedly about the floor of his throne. The golden tiles sparkled and caught the sharpness of his dark leather suit. An ancient sword was strapped tightly to his left thigh. The emblem of the Darker-Elitions throne blazed across the handle and blade. His flowing cape whirled behind him as he turned on his left heel. His steel blue eyes scanned the clock on the wall. His temper grew shorter. In a matter of minutes, he would declare war. Now, where was his faithful heir?

"Lord!" a voice barked into the darkness of the castle. He turned around to see his heir rushing forward. The boy was barely a man, but harder than most within their solar system. His cruelness favored him with the King. The King smiled with approval as the boy bowed, his dark curls falling forward against his forehead. He stood up, dressed similar to the King, but without the several medals layering the King's chest. The boy's emerald eyes looked out the bay window within the castle. He could see the troops slowly disappearing into the horizon.

"Good afternoon, heir," the King replied, sitting upon his grand throne.

"Are the troops prepared?" the boy asked immediately.

"Of course."

"And they soon will show our true power?"

"In ten minutes."

"Everyone is in their ready modes?"

"Of course, and as soon as the first shot is fired, I will step down as King. And you, my heir, will assume the rightful place as King. I only wish that my daughter could sit rightfully by your side. She was just a babe, in so much need of training, how I wish that she could have ruled by your side," the King admitted, his knuckles cracking against the stone of his throne. His eyes turned dark with anger. "I have searched many worlds for her, destroyed many worlds, but have not found her."

"This world will be different, King," the boy replied. "All the other world leaders have confessed to the child being brought down to this planet. It is quite certain that she might be among the people. We will search until I find my bride. We will know it is her instantly. Death will not come upon any woman, unless proved that she is not the Princess."

"And what will prove her bloodline?" the King questioned, testing the boy.

"The crest of Darkera will be inked upon her right shoulder blade."

"You remember."

"I would not forget such an important person as my bride."

"Yes," the King replied, drumming his fingers against the arms of his chair.

"Do not fret, my King. We will soon be in control of this weak planet. We will search every home, every ocean, every piece of land to find her. I will find her. I promise you that, my Liege. She will rule your planet just as fate intended."

"And if not?" the King asked.

"May these worlds' God hold pity upon them, because fire, disease, and death will be forever cursed upon them till their extinction."

*~*~*

Nick sighed softly as he ran his hands through his blond locks. His foster mother had sent word to him that the drafting process had begun for the World's Legion of Militaries. He was on the list to be shipped out. He didn't dare tell Rose, because she was too delighted. She had become close to Jamelet and AJ. The couple had offered for the twins to work in the club. Nick and Rose quickly agreed. They wanted to find more out about these people. Nick knew they looked familiar, but he still struggled to know why.

"Hey! Nick! Table wants their drinks," AJ called from behind the bar. Nick shook his head, clearing his cloudy thoughts. He looked down to see that his tray had been filled with an order of drinks. He grinned sheepishly at AJ while Jamelet and Rose laughed at him.

"Rain is just a little out of sorts, today," Jamelet concluded.

"I suppose so," Nick muttered, rubbing his neck.

"Chill it out, Twin," Rose answered as Nick grabbed his tray. He said nothing as he disappeared into the crowd of people. Rose frowned as Jamelet stepped beside her. Rose was in charge of the register tonight, so Rose daydreamed more than usual. She didn't want to come to work today, though, something didn't feel right. She sighed as Jamelet tapped her shoulder. Rose jumped. "What?"

"You're a little jumpy today."

"I know."

"Is there something wrong?" Jamelet asked with worry.

"No," Rose lied. She had been having too many dreams lately. In each dream, she gazed upon an older child. The child laughed with grand happiness as Rose memorized her features. This child was of pale color, light hair that glowed in the sun, beautiful features of a growing woman, and an impish smile. The child could never be forgotten, yet, Rose didn't even know the child's name.

"Are you okay?" Jamelet asked as Rose blanked.

"I'm fine."

"Okay," Jamelet answered softly, obviously hurt by Rose's hurried answers.

Rose prepared to speak, but a loud sound of shattering glass made her cringe. She looked to see that Nick had dropped his tray of drinks. She waited for Jamelet or AJ to yell, but neither said a word. Rose looked at them, finding them staring at the TV screen. Rose's eyes wandered quickly to the screen. Her jaw dropped open in horror as a bright red fire licked at the screen. She watched as hundreds of troops retreated into the trees, screaming. Blood splattered the ground. Thousands of dark cloaked troops exploded from the gates, firing at the helpless defenders.

The Darker-Elitions had finally declared war.

*~*~*

Kimberly sighed softly as she rubbed her shoulders. She still felt the chill of the air. She didn't care, however. She was finally allowed to leave the hospital. Kevin held her shoulders as their other cousins - Brian and Alison signed the proper papers to release them. Kimberly was thankful that they were leaving. She had been watching the beginning of World War Three on the television. It seemed that the Darker-Elitions were swarming about the states with frenzy. The Emergency Room was already swarming with the injured from the war.

"Come on, Kim," Kevin called out suddenly. Kimberly nodded briefly, trying to ignore the screams and cries heard throughout the room. She pushed herself close to Kevin, closing her eyes. She just wanted to leave. The sooner she was home, the better. Kimberly couldn't wait to hide under the covers. She prayed that she might be able to sleep through the war.

"I can't believe they attacked," Brian whispered as he approached Kevin and Kimberly with Alison close to his side.

"They won't even say why they're attacking!" Alison complained.

"Just be thankful that we're away from where the fighting is."

"How can you say we're away from it? We're in the heart of it! Can't you see all the people in this room?" Kimberly suddenly exclaimed. Her heart pounded with fever. She pushed herself away from Kevin's arms, pointing to the injured lying about the room. "Look at all of them! Innocent! All innocent! Yet they lay here, battered! We are in the heart of the chaos!"

"Kimberly," Kevin warned.

"No! I will not be silenced!"

Kimberly never noticed, nor heard the doors crash open. She was in a blur of passion and aggression. She stepped back, prepared to yell more, but was knocked by a quick force. She felt the slickness of something warm as she fell backward into Kevin's arms. She was stunned as she heard something crash to the floor with a strong string of curses. Kimberly blinked as the gurney was stopped and another Para-Surgeon bent down to scoop the loud object off the floor.

"Ana, you okay?" the male Para-Surgeon asked.

"I'm fine, although I'm not sure that some stupid civilian should stand in my way when someone is dying," the female, Ana, whom Kimberly had knocked to the ground, muttered. She quickly stood up on her feet. Kimberly watched as the pale woman wiped off her coat. Her hands were soon covered with a sticky red substance. Kimberly's stomach churned - blood.

"I'm sorry," Kimberly whispered.

Ana rolled her eyes as she turned her attention to the male Para-Surgeon. Kimberly was shocked by the woman's rudeness, but understood immediately. The man on the gurney began to convulse as blood poured from his mouth. Ana cursed as she immediately began to shove a tube down the man's throat. She and the man rushed toward the doctor that was waiting for them. Kimberly heard the woman shout out the condition of the man. "Twenty-three year old man, struck by a Death-Sword from the Darker-Elitions. Severe burns to his stomach, where he was struck. Obvious shock from the trauma. He's a civilian, war casualty."

"Inside, quick," the doctor replied.

Kimberly watched as the woman was gone in a blur. She rubbed her eyes. Her brain began to buzz with activity. Kimberly strained to remember something. The beautiful woman was familiar. She felt Kevin tug on her shoulder. Kimberly glanced up. "I told you to be careful," Kevin warned as he made a disgusted face at the bloody handprints on Kimberly's clothing.

"I'm sorry," Kimberly apologized as Kevin tugged her toward their other cousins. Kimberly glanced back at the hallway where the woman had disappeared. Suddenly, Kimberly felt no guilt for knocking into the woman. Somehow, Kimberly knew her