- Text Size +
Mary

~Le amo mas que las palabras pueden expresar~

As Mary Hawarden settled in for a long plane trip, she decided it would be a long day. Being on a plane for three hours was not her idea of fun, or rest. First class was her only way to fly. She figured if she was going to fly, she was going to do it in style. If the plane was going to crash, she was going down comfortably.

She was a people watcher. The people in first class were usually snobby and glitzy. However on this trip, the passengers in first class were normal, everyday people. There was a group of five men and two were with beautiful women. That was all that was on the flight in first class. She determined that the group was together and she was the odd man out...or woman, rather.

The group was spread out in the cabin and across from her sat a man with tattooed arms, sunglasses on his head, gum in his mouth, reading a book of some sort, and listening to headphones. Every now and then, he would tap his foot to the beat and look out the window. Mary concluded that he was handsome--despite his tattoos.

Being an author, Mary was always on the lookout for new names and characters. The man in front of her was just the character she needed to finish her latest book. She retrieved her pen and paper-she had had too much bad luck with computers- and filled in a description of her mystery character.

"Short brown hair, chocolate brown pools of soul--windows to foreign lands."

A tap on her hsoulder brought her out of her trance-like writing. When she looked up, she saw the man who had been sitting across from her. He stood beside her, looking down and smiling.
"Do you mind if I sit here?" He asked.

"Not at all." With that, Mary moved her bag and placed it at her feet. He continued to talk to her.

"My name is AJ." He said, extending his hand to her. With a smile and a shake, Mary introduced herself to him. His voice was somewhat raspy, but Mary deduced that he wasn't sick; she was also a Registered Nurse. They struck up a conversation and by the time the flight ended, they knew quite a bit about each other. Mary liked him even more than she had when he was sitting across from her. Unfortunately, they parted at baggage claim, never to see each other again. Mary caught a cab to her hotel and checked in.

Her latest assignment was to write a book about a group she had never heard of. She didn’t even remember the name, just knew that she would meet the group in the lobby in three hours. They would go to dinner, get to know one another, then stay at a residence in northern New York. Mary unpacked her suitcase, then decided to repack after her shower. She was dressed for dinner and packed in less than two hours. She grabbed her purse and room key then stepped outside her room. As her door closed, she looked down the hall. There was a lot of commotion coming her way.

Their eyes met. Both of them froze in time. Even though only seconds had passed, the long stare they shared was eternal. He walked right up to her. Mary snapped out of it.
“Hi.” She smiled.

“Mary.” AJ returned. “I didn’t know you were staying here.”

“Yes… I am. Here on business.”

“So are we…we have to meet with a writer in a few minutes.” AJ explained. Mary almost swooned. If this was her group, she would have to get someone else on this job. “You don’t recognize me, do you?”

“Yes, I recognize you, you are AJ.” Mary grinned, rolling her eyes. AJ let out a jovial laugh.
“I know you know that, darlin’, but I was talking about Backstreet AJ.” He smiled a camera smile. Mary let out a laugh this time.

“Who?”