- Text Size +
“LJ!”

Jordan looked up from the chart she was scribbling on. She raised an eyebrow towards Mike, the morgue photographer.

“You’ve got a call. Line two.”

Jordan wrinkled her forehead. She’s never gotten any personal call on the office phone, not that she wanted to anyway. She didn’t even give the number to her family. Who would have called then? “Who is it, Mike?”

“Do I look like your personal secretary?” Mike scoffed, all the while chiding at the pictures scattered on his table. “Or do you want me to tell him you’re not in?”

Jordan sighed. She heaved herself off the metallic table where she had been sitting on for the last thirty minutes or so. “Fine.” She grabbed the receiver of one of the connecting phone. “Wakefield.”

“LJ?”

“Yeah. Who’s this?”

“Damn. This is really the New York Hospital Morgue?” inquired the caller. He clicked his tongue in disbelief.

Jordan chuckled. “Yes sir. Did you miss the front desk or something?”

Laughter rang in her ear, and Jordan clicked in recognition. “LJ! Kiddo, I missed you! The last place I thought I’d hear from you is the morgue!”

Jordan laughed too, feeling both shocked and happy to hear the voice on the other line. “Hey yourself, Dumpster. I thought I wouldn’t hear from you at all. Where did you get this number?”

“Wait, just tell me this one stuff. Are there any bodies really lying in 10-feet radius from where you’re standing?”

“Uh huh. Do you want me to make a head count?” replied Jordan, grinning good-naturedly. She noticed Mike’s head popping out from the office, obviously trying to eavesdrop.

“Shit!”

Jordan chuckled again. “Very eloquent of you. Now, where the heck did you get this number?”

“Oh, you know, a few calls… And perhaps a yellow pages index.” Jordan could almost detect the smile forming on the other end.

She smiled too. After all, it’s been ages since she last had any conversation with Roger ‘Dumpster’ Amstrong, her homeroom best friend in high school. They were tight all the way from freshman out to senior year, and right after high school ended, both of them went separate ways. Jordan earned a scholarship to Princeton while Roger opted for UCLA. Nevertheless, they managed exchanging Christmas cards and a few phone calls annually, to keep the friendship going.

“Hello?”

Jordan snapped out of her memory lane. She laughed out loud. “Sorry, Dumpster. So you tracked me down, huh? What’s up?”

“Do you have any plans for Christmas?”

“Chicago with Lucas and James, I guess. Why?”

“Great. How about a snow-free Christmas down here in LA?”

That piqued her interest. When was the last time they celebrated Christmas together? Was it, like, 7 years ago? “Now, what fun is there if there’s no snow on Christmas?”

“Yo, come on, LJ. You’re not cool like that, indigenous, conservative. Mediocre. Traditional….”

Jordan cut him off with another laughter. “Right, go on bruising my ego, man. You can take the girl out of Chicago, but you can’t take Chicago outta her,” she remarked. “Plus, you’re the one speaking like a nigger. Don’t be calling me indigenous, you hot-shot, I-live-in-LA-but-I-really-do-speak-like-Dr. Dre, Malibu Ken!”

Roger laughed out loud. Jordan always managed to have the last laugh. They both enjoyed their hearty outburst for a few seconds, before the both of them fell into silence again.

“So.”

“Come on, LJ. You’ll have fun. I’ll arrange for Kate to bring you around. We’ll mellow for awhile in time for Christmas, and I’ll throw this huge kick-ass New Year Party after. Think about it, girl. All expenses paid. Take it as an early Christmas gift.”

Jordan twirled the phone cord around her fingers, deep in thoughts. It’s been awhile since she last met up with her two brothers back home. Lucas and James wouldn’t be happy to hear the news. After all, she did skip last Thanksgiving dinner because of the entrance exam. “I don’t know, Dumpster. Jimmie won’t be too happy. I ditched Thanskgiving, I’m supposed to be making up for Christmas.”

“I’ll talk to Jimmie,” offered Roger.

“No offense, Dumpster. But why are you so bent on inviting me over? You could have just come downtown, have a cup of Starbucks with me during one of your usual visits to town, right?” Jordan inquired. She loved Roger like a brother, but she knew how his mind works, most of the time.

“Just get your ass down, LJ. And we’ll talk.”

***

Jordan was loving the Californian sun already. New York is cool for her career, but she was accepting the fact that she missed out a lot from living in a latitude-advantaged state like New York. It’s been less than 2 hours since she touched her feet on LAX, and already she was enjoying the cool breeze of eternal summer in LA.

“So you really work in a morgue, huh? I thought Roger was kidding when he told me so,” Kate spoke. She was careful while maneuvering her BMW towards the Sunset Boulevard exit. She stole a look at the brunette beside her in the passenger seat.

Jordan opened an eye, peeking at Kate, who at the same time flashed her a quick smile. “Yeah, I’m a pathologist. Not really your sensational, overpaid cardio or brain surgeon,” she replied, giving Kate a smile in return.

Kate chuckled. “Come on, you graduated at Top 10 of your class, why did you choose the morgue when you could be rubbing shoulders with Dr. House or that cute McDreamy?”

Jordan sat up straighter in her seat, laughing. “Oh, you’re a fan of Grey’s too?”

“Hun, I happen to be their publicist.”

Jordan flashed a sheepish grin while Kate burst out laughing. “I thought you’re one of the guys’ too,” replied Jordan.

“No, only one Backstreet’s lapdog in the family, please,” Kate answered, waving her hand breezily.

Jordan laughed. So maybe her stay in LA won’t be too mindless after all with Kate around. She eyed the blonde enviously. Great hair, great legs, great boobs combined with a great sense of style and down-to-earth nature, she summed up that Roger has made a fine selection in the girlfriend department. “So, where exactly is Dumpster? I thought he’d be the one picking me up. Did I get into your schedule of something? Cuz I would hate it if I get in between of your work.”

Kate rolled her eyes. “Nonsense. Roger’s got caught up in a press conference with the guys, but he’ll be back in time for dinner, tho. Now that we have plenty of time to ourselves, do you have any particular place you would like to go to?”

Jordan wrinkled her eyebrow. “This New Year party he’s throwing. Will that cute McVet from Grey’s be there too?”

Kate cast her a sideway glance. “You mean O’ Donnell? Yeah, he’ll be there.”

“Great. Now, do you know the nearest boutique?”

***

“What smells so great?”

“Oh, look at the person who finally shows up right after we polished the sink,” Kate declared, tip-toeing to peck on Roger’s cheek. “I thought you wouldn’t make it till New Year. What took you so long?”

Roger grinned. “Sorry, sweetie. The guys wanted to settle everything up before Christmas. Even if that means last-minute arrangements regarding recordings and dates.” He grabbed a few silverware off Kate’s hand and started helping her setting up the table. “Where’s LJ?”

“Brilliant friend you are for leaving me stranded at the airport. But I forgive you for having a girlfriend like Kate,” Jordan spoke, making her entrance into the dining room. She was carrying a turkey on a silver platter, brilliantly done and crispy. “Now, where’s my hug, Dumpster?”

Roger recovered and quickly engulfed her in a sideway hug, careful not to tip the platter she was carrying. “Shorty! It’s good to see you!” He pulled off at arm-length and admired her full view. “Girl, I didn’t take it you were a cashmere girl,” he joked.

Jordan grinned. “I’d say likewise if you didn’t leave me stranded, you fool,” she chided. She carefully placed the bird on the middle of the table. “You can’t possibly tell me we’re going to chow up this big bird all by ourselves.”

Kate pulled off the cork off the wine’s bottle and proceeded on into pouring the red sparkling liquid into the crystal goblets. “He has a surprise for you actually, J.”

“Oh yeah?” she inquired, her eyebrows twitching up. “Good or bad surprise?” she asked again, taking a seat at one of the chairs. “I’m not going to lose my appetite with this surprise, am I?”

Roger grinned. He pulled off the tie binding his neck and took a place next to Kate. “I thought nothing could affect your appetite, J. Not even if it’s the end of the world.”

“Eh, you’re right there,” remarked Jordan. “But you’re also saying that I’m a pig in between the lines. I’m not gonna mind with the Christmas spirit and all, so, just tell me about this surprise. Is Chris O’ Donnell coming for dinner?”

Roger’s grin turned into a full-fledge wrinkle. “O’ Donnell? ‘Vertical Limit’s’ O’ Donnell?”

Jordan nodded eagerly, folding her hands on the table neatly. “Yeah, that works too. Or you could just call him McVet in short.”

Roger raised an eyebrow. He cast a glance at Kate, who grinned back in return. She mouthed ‘Grey’s’ to him and he aahed. “Why the heck would he be coming for dinner? And why the heck are you wishing that he would?”

“He’s not? So he’s not the surprise?”

Roger laughed. “Aww, J. I thought you’re more of a Matt Damon kinda guy.”

Jordan rolled her eyes. “Whatever.” She clasped her hand together. “Say the prayer already. I’m starved. The bird looks like it’s about to fly off the table any minute now.”

“Haven’t your brothers told you it’s rude not to wait on your guest?” Roger reproved, shaking his head gently. All the same he reached over and patted her lightly on the head. Jordan scowled. “Let’s talk about your day. What did you ladies do today?”

Kate grinned. “I took her out shopping. She bought this killer dress,” she relayed, wriggling her eyebrows.

Roger waited for any upcoming outburst. No outburst. He raised an eyebrow. “That’s it? ‘This killer dress’? No ravishing about it? Come on, girls. Work on your adjectives here.”

Kate and Jordan laughed. Leave it to Roger to sound so gay. As Jordan was about to open her mouth, the doorbell rang. The three of them exchanged looks.

“Is that the surprise?” Jordan asked quietly.

Roger answered by giving her a double-jerky eyebrow and stood up to open the door. “Now, be on your best behavior. Don’t scream too loudly, do not pick food on my plate, and do not kick me on my shin. And that goes for you too, Kate,” Roger spoke, one hand on the brass handle, and the other busy waving warning signs to the girls. “Does everybody get me?”

Kate rolled her eyes, while Jordan managed to wrinkle her forehead. “Yikes. I don’t do screams, man,” she retorted.

“I know, I know. Just a reminder.” The doorbell rang again.

“Open the door already, Roger,” called Kate from the table.

Roger obliged and opened the front door, revealing a man in maroon cashmere sweater and a pair of black slacks. Kate grinned as she took a look at Jordan, who narrowed her eyes to focus on the stranger’s face.

“Nick. You made it, man. Come in, come in,” said Roger, ushering Nick in.

Nick made his way in and Roger closed the door. A bottle of expensive-looking wine changed hands. “Sorry dude. A corny gift but this is all I could come up within an hour,” Nick said, smiling apologetically.

A look of recognition registered on Jordan’s face and she cast a look at Kate. Kate was still smiling goofily. Jordan mouthed ‘surprise’ and Kate broke off, laughing. Yes, that was indeed a surprise.

The men started approaching the table, chatting animatedly. When they finally arrived into the room, Kate and Jordan instinctively stood up.

“Nick, good to see you,” Kate spoke, as they exchanged hugs.

Nick grinned. “Likewise, Katie. Thank you for having me.”

“Dude, I know it’s Christmas, but you don’t have to be so freaking courteous just about everything,” Roger remarked, handing the bottle of wine to Kate. Their attention settled on Jordan, who was standing quietly at the corner. Roger grinned and slung an arm around Jordan’s shoulder.

“So, I finally got to meet the infamous LJ,” greeted Nick politely, smiling. He extended a hand and they exchanged a brief handshake. “I’m Nick Carter.”

Jordan smiled in between confusion. “I kinda get that from MTV, but what I don’t get is how you actually know my name.”

Nick laughed. “Roger here talks about you all the time,” explained Nick. “I even know your middle name, doesn’t that sound scary to you or what?”

Jordan raised an eyebrow and broke into a grin. “Indeed.”

They all took a place beside the table. Roger started leading the prayer, and the honor of cutting up the turkey was passed to Nick. Jordan happily munched on her meal while Kate, Roger and Nick talked animatedly about work. She was on her second helping of fettuccini when Roger purposely kicked her on her shin.

“Ouch!” She shot a glare at Roger. “What the heck is that for?”

“You were so unusually quiet, I thought I might give you a start,” replied Roger. Kate shook her head at her boyfriend’s antique while Nick let out a small laugh.

“By giving me a cracked patella?”

“Now, the doctor in her has spoken,” raved Roger. “Come on, J. Tell us about yourself. For Nick’s benefit, of course.”

Jordan flashed a tight smile. Her mediocre job compared to their high-end lifestyles, she felt like the newspaper boy. “Yeah? I thought you managed that already. He even knows my middle name. Don’t you, Nick?”

Nick grinned. “Yes, but they all are in vague details. Roger did tell us you’re an MD. Really, I didn’t think Roger could manage to have somebody as smart like you as a best friend.”

Roger rolled his eyes while Jordan grinned good-naturedly. “I was the one tutoring her physics and now she’s the smart one?” Roger retorted. Everybody broke into laughter.

“So, in what field are you specializing?” Nick continued the talk.

“I’m a pathologist,” said Jordan. “I don’t think revealing the nature of my job over dinner is wise tho,” she joked. Kate shuddered while Roger made gagging sound.

Nick smiled tightly, obviously confused. “Pardon my ignorance but my medical terms are really limited, considering I don’t really bond well with hospitals, you see.”

Jordan grinned. “I investigate pathologies, or diseases, in English.” She noticed Nick nodded in understanding. “I investigate development of diseases, their origins, how they affect the human bodies and lastly, the causes of mortality in human.”

Nick stopped nodding and eyed her cautiously. “Causes of mortality? Wait, you’re not a forensic surgeon, are you?”

Jordan nodded slightly. “That works too.”

Nick shuddered, his eyes doubled their original size.

“Okay. Off to a brighter subject,” Jordan announced, trying to change the topic.

Nick shook his head in awe. “I surely envy those corpses,” he remarked lightly.

Jordan pulled a confused smile. “Oh yeah? Why’s that?”

“I won’t mind being cut up by a beautiful surgeon like you.”