- Text Size +
Scrreeechh!!
A sound came from outside, causing CJ to sit up in bed.
Scrreeeecchh!!
The sound came again, louder this time. CJ pushed the thin blanket off of her and stood up in the middle of the room. She jerked her head toward the sound, as it came the third time.

" What in the bloody hell is that?" She whispered in the dark. She edged her way to the window and peered out.

" Hello?" She called out. It was really dark and really hard to see.

" Hey!" A voice came, followed by a body moving in front of her.

" Holy Shhh....!!" She stumbled back wards and covered her mouth in shock, " Holy cow, Kelly....you gave me a fright." She said clutching her chest and taking deep breaths. Kelly smiled.

" Sorry. Didn't mean to scare you." Cj put on her robe.

" What are you doing here?" CJ asked her. Kelly smirked and nodded her head toward the clock. CJ looked over at the clock, then back at Kelly, confused.

" 8:52. So." She said, strugging and sitting down by the window.

" Yeah. IT's 8:52 which means the train leaving for America leaves in eight minutes." CJ's eyes widened and she stood up.

" What?!"

" COme on, Martin. Get your stuff and come on." Kelly said, running out of breath from talking so fast, " Were running out of time."

" Kelly are you out of your bloody mind? I told you already, I can't go!" CJ said in a loud whisper.

" Did you even ask?" Kelly strugged.

" No. And there's no bloody point in asking. " CJ took a deep breath and looked at the clock, " Look I'm sorry, but you wasted your time for even coming here. Now go, hurry before you miss the train." Cj went to close the window, but Kelly grabbed her arm stopping her.

" CJ, when was the last time you actually did something for yourself?" kelly said. CJ took a deep breath and closed her eyes.

" Never."

" Right. This may be the only chance you'll get Cj. If you don't do it now, your time will never come. And if you get caught, I'll tell your parents that I made you sneak out. They hate me anyway." Kelly said, gently letting go of CJ's arm, " What do you say?" CJ's shoulders slumped and after a couple of seconds she finally sighed.

" Okay, hold on." kelly smiled. CJ grabbed her nap sack and shoved all of her clothes in it. She looked at her old bible for a split second before picking it up and placing it gently in the bag. She jogged to the window and quietly slipped out.

" Its that all your going to bring?" CJ looked at her bag then back at Kelly.

" That's all I own." Kelly nodded and they took off running.

" Come on! We should pass through the corn field! It's faster this way!" Kelly explained, while running. Suddenly an Idea came to CJ.

" Wait, Kelly! I got a faster way!" CJ said, running in the other direction.

" Cj, where are you going?!"

" Come on!!" Kelly sighed and ran after her. CJ ran full speed over to the stable. She quickly threw open the door, startling Goldie.

" Shhhh. It's okay, girl." Kelly ran to the stable, stopping in front of the door, " Okay girl. Get ready to run." She patted Goldie on the back, gently. She climbed on and walked her out of the stable.

" Come on." Cj said patting the seat behind her for Kelly to take.

" Oh no, no, no,no not happening CJ!" kelly said, taking a step backwards

" Why not? We now have three minutes."

" When I was seven years old I got bucked off a bloody horse and he just about killed me. So no, Cj. Forget it." Kelly said, turning around to continue running.

" Kelly, do you want to go to America or not?" Kelly stopped and looked at her.

" Yes."

" And do you think you can get to the train on foot on time in 2 minutes and 30 seconds?" Kelly hesitated and pushed a rock around with her foot.

" Probably not."

" Then I advice you...to get your booty...on this horse." She said sternly. Kelly hesitated then slowly walked toward them, " Don't worry Kelly. Goldie is not going to bite you. But if you get in front of her, she'll bite your behind. I know, she did it to me before." CJ said, grabbing Kelly's hand and helping her up. Once on top of Goldie, Kelly automatically locked her arms around CJ.

" I'm putting my life in your hands, CJ." CJ looked at her and grinned.

" Eyah!!" Suddenly Goldie broke into a run, Kelly screaming on the way.

" SLOW THIS THING DOWN!!!!!"

******************

Goldie ran as fast as she could into the train station.

" No, no, no!! The trains leaving!!" CJ stopped Goldie and her and Kelly jumped off, Kelly stumbling on the way.

" Excuse me sir? Can you look after my horse for two weeks? I'm a friend of your wifes, Mrs Parker?" Cj asked pulling Goldie to the man.

" Yes, ma'am." The man smiled.

" Thanks a mill!" Kelly grabbed Cj's arm and they ran their hearts out to try to catch that train.

" WAIT!!!"

" STOP THAT TRAIN!!"

An officer finally poked his head out and offered his hand out to the girls. Kelly grabbed it first and the officer pulled her up on board, safely.

" Come on, Cj!" CJ reached up as far as she could for Kelly's and the officers hand. She grabbed their hands and pulled herself up. The girls stumbled into the sitting area, exhausted.

" Did you promise Goldie you'll write?" Rose said sarcastically. CJ and Kelly cracked up laughing and sat down. The train rolled on to the long trip to Birmingham. From there, first class flights to America.