- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Just to warn you..Ashlee gets a little angry with God in this. I'm not a Jesus hater..in fact..I'm a HUGE Jesus lover. I, myself am not mad at God, I'm just writing..
Ashlee sat in the back of the waiting room by herself. She told AJ that she just wanted to be by herself at the moment. AJ, Nick and Lindsey were there at the moment, the rest of the guys and Leighanne we to arrive shortly.

“I can’t stand to see her like this, Nick. What do I do?”

“Just let her be by herself. I want to comfort her just as much as you do, well..maybe not as much, but anyway. She let you know when she needs you.” Lindsey said before Nick had the chance to say anything.

“Hey guys,” Brian said as he walked in with everyone else. “How’s Mia?”

“We don’t know yet. She’s still in surgery.” Nick replied.

Leighanne walked over to Ashlee. “Hey sweetie. We got these for you. We got some for Mia too, but we thought you needed them as much as she does.”

Ashlee attempted to smile as Leighanne handed her a bouquet of flowers. “Thank you.”

“How are you holding up?”

“Eh, okay. I guess...” she trailed off and continued looking out the window.

AJ motioned for Leighanne to come over there.

“Well, I here if you need me.”

“Thanks,” Ashlee replied quietly.

Ashlee watched Leighanne walk over to the other guys. She could feel them talking about her. How do they expect me to feel? Oh, I feel fucking fantastic. Ashlee looked back out the window and up at the sky. Why? Why, God, must you do this? Just when my life is starting to come back together, it gets all messed up. She’s the only one that understands me and what I went through. She helped me get better. We graduated together. She is my life and you’re taking her away just like that. Well, fuck you. I’m done. She took off the ring that mother had given her when she graduated, Holy Spirit Come, she read to herself. No. I am done. She balled her hand into a fist.

“Hey beautiful, how are you.” AJ said as he sat down next to her.

“Not well,” she said bitterly.

Her words stung his ears. He had never heard her speak with such hate in the time that they had been together.

“My best friend is dying, how do you think I feel?”

“She isn’t...”

“Yes, she is. Alex, I can feel it.” She interrupted. “I never really told you this. I haven’t ever actually told anyone except Mia this. I…” she hesitated and quieted herself down. “This will probably sound weird, but I have these feelings. And 99% of the time, my feelings are right. She’s gone, Alex. The doctor is going to walk in here any minute and tell us that there was nothing they could do. They tried everything, it worse then they thought, whatever.”

“Baby, you vulnerable. You haven’t had any sleep. I don’t doubt for a second that you have these feelings, but she’s going to be okay. I had the best doctor flown up from Texas...”

“No, Alex!” She said loudly. The room became silent and they all looked at Ashlee and AJ. “You don’t understand! It’s done, she gone. It’s not about the best doctor. Our little friend JESUS decided that my life was going to perfect so he thought he’d shake it up a bit.”

“Um, Miss Miller?”

They all turned toward the door and looked at the doctor.

Tears began to fill her eyes as she walked up to the door. Everyone stayed where they were, all in shock of what just happened, and afraid of what was about to happen.

“Yes,” she said quietly.

“You might want to sit down.”

“I’m fine,” she said shortly, chewing on her bottom lip.

AJ stood up and walked over to Ashlee, hands in his pockets and stood next to her. He took out one hand and put his whole arm around her shoulders.

The doctor sighed and continued, “Mr. McLean, Miss Miller, I’m sorry to tell this, but we tried everything in our power to help Mia. By the time we got to the piece of glass, the blood flow to her heart had decreased causing her heart to fail. We tried everything we could to save her, but I’m sorry.”

Ashlee nodded and looked at the ground.

“I will leave you all for a few, and will be back for you to sign some things.”

“Thank you,” AJ said to the doctor quietly.

The room was so quiet, they could hear the doctor walk out of the room and down the hall.

Ashlee sighed and looked up at AJ.

“Um, listen,” she said quietly. “I..I think that we should, um, not see each other for a bit.”

She looked down in here hand at her ring. “I want you to have this. I don’t need it anymore.”

She placed the ring in his hand and looked at everyone in the room.

“Thank you all for being here for me.”

She looked at AJ once more and walked out of the room.