- Text Size +
AJ just stood there. He didn’t know whether or not he should follow her. Everyone else sat in their chairs starring at him. After a few long moments, the silence was broken by the doctor.

“Is Miss Miller in here?”

“Um, no.” AJ said quietly. “I’ll be signing everything.”

The doctor took AJ over to where Ashlee had been sitting just minutes before. As AJ signed the papers, he clutched the ring in his other hand.



“DAMMIT!” AJ kicked the garbage can outside of the hospital. “How could I just let her walk out of there like that?!”

“We all did Jay, it’s not just you,” Nick said as he put his hand on AJ’s shoulder. “She can’t be far. Call her again.”

“I’ve called 15 times in the last ten minutes. She’s not going to answer!” AJ brushed Nick off and sat on curb. “The one thing she wanted was her friend to be okay. The only thing she’s ever asked of me is to save her best friend and I couldn’t. How can I provide for her for the rest of her life if I couldn’t do that one small thing?”

“You’re not God, dude. She was right, on a certain level. Now, you know I’m not all Jesus-y, but I do know that when it’s time for someone to go, it’s time. You couldn’t help Mia. No one could.”

Nick paused for a moment and sat down next to AJ, “And what do you mean ‘provide for her for the rest of her life’?”

AJ sighed. “I know it’s really soon, but I can see myself with Ashlee for the rest of my life,” he said quietly.

“Hey guys, are you going back to the hotel?” Brian said walking out of the hospital.

“Yea,” AJ grumbled and got up off the curb.

“Uuhh, I’m going to get something to eat. I haven’t eaten since lunch, yesterday.” Nick said as he stood up.

“Alright,” Brian said as he let everyone in the van. Before he got in, he turned to Nick and asked, “You’re going to go look for Ashlee, aren’t you.”

“She helped save my life, now it’s time for me to help her.”

Brian smiled. “You have Lindsey’s number, right?”

“Yea, she gave it to me in the waiting room just in case something like this happened.”

“Okay, good. Call me as soon as you hear anything.”

“Kay.”

Brian got in the van and Nick waved good-bye as the drove off. He pulled out his phone and scrolled down to Lindsey’s number.

“Hey. You wanna go find Ashlee?”

Nick turned around to see Lindsey standing behind him.

“I thought you left?”

“I did, but knew you’d want to go find her so I came back.”

Nick smiled.

“C’ mon. I know exactly where she went.”