- Text Size +
“Hey Linds, it’s Ashlee!”

“Oh HEY! Oh my GOD! Guess who I just saw! This will really make you excited!”

“Um..let me take a wild guess! The Backstreet Boys!”

“YEA!”

“Yea! I sent them to McDonalds because the power is out here which means! You don’t have to come back!”

“Sweet! Wait! What?! You sent them?!?!”

“I’ll call you later and tell you about it, but I’ve got to put the food away and call my mom. I’ll talk to you later!”

“Okay! Bye!”

“Bye!” Ashlee hung up the phone, picked it back up and dialed home. How the hell am I going to explain THIS to my mother...

“Hello?”

“Hi Mom!”

“Hi sweety!”

“Um..so the power is out here. Do we have power at home?”

“Yes, why?”

“Well. Okay. You’re probably not going to believe this but, um, the Backstreet Boys are kind of here and they’re hungry. One of the guys has his son with him, which means his wife is probably here too and I was just wondering if you could make your sweet fried chicken like you do only make it for like...seven more people.” Ashlee took a breath and waited for her mom to answer.

“Well, you were right when you said that I wouldn’t believe but by the sound of your voice, I’m thinking I should. And I guess I could make dinner. I’ll have to run to the store real fast.”

“Cool! Thanks mom! I just have to put the food away and I’ll be home. Be careful going to the store. It’s pretty white out there.”

“I will! You be careful too! I love you!”

“Love you too!”

She hung up the phone and stood up. She paused for a second so she could gather her thoughts and let everything that was happening sink in.

“You doing okay in there?? Do you need any help with anything.”

AJ’s voice startled her. “Um, I’m fine. And actually,” she said while walking out of the office toward the front, “you can help me put the food away so I can get out of here faster.”

“Sure!”

“I called my mom and she said that she will make all of you guys dinner tonight.”

“Really?!?! Your mom rocks!”

“Heh, I know.”

Ashlee then took him to the make line and showed him where to put everything and how to do it and they got started. After a few moments of silence, AJ decided to break it.

“Um, if you don’t mind me asking, does the tattoo on the back of your neck mean anything?”

Ashlee stopped what she was doing and just starred into the tub of pepperoni she was about to close up. She look at him with a meak smile and damaged looking eyes and asked him, “Do you really want to hear it? It’s pretty much my life story.”

He looked at her with deep sincerity and said, “Yes, I do.”

Ashlee sighed and just then, their moment was broken with the angry voice of Nick raving about McDonalds be closed and him being hungry. Ashlee turned and wiped a tiny tear from her eye hoping AJ wouldn’t notice, but he did.

“Dude, Nick. Calm down. Ashlee said that we can chill at her house. Her mom is going to cook dinner for us!”

Ashlee turned around and for the first time that day she saw Nick smile.

“Really?! Cool! What’s she making?? I love home cooked meals! They’re way better then McDonalds!”

“Oooh man. Then you’re gonna love you dinner tonight. She is making her famous fried chicken with REAL mashed potatoes and gravy.”

That made all the boys happy. Even Bailee.

“Daddy! I want some chicken!!”

“Okay sweety!” he said to his son. He turned to Ashlee, “So how do we get to this place?”

“Um, let me put these few things away and then we can head over to my house.”

“Alrighty.”

Ashlee turned back to the make line and began putting away the rest of the stuff. AJ turned and did the same. When they were done she ushered them all outside and locked the doors behind her.

“So, do you guys just want to follow me then?”

“Sure.” Kevin said.

“How about I go with you, just in case they get lost and they can call me and talk to you, and this way you won’t be by yourself.” AJ said with a smile.

“Um..sure. Well, see you guys in a few!”

And they all got into their vehicles and headed out of the parking lot.