- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Anything written in italics, is either a song or what Lenore has written. Enjoy1

Disclaimer: Only own Lenore & story idea. Thank-you!

Two days later, Clay was getting ready to go to the airport, so he could get back to Hollywood for American Idol. He’d gone outside to talk to the cab driver, when suddenly he could hear screaming coming from inside of the house.

Lenore has woken up and stumbled out into the living room, only to find Clay’s suitcases perched by the front hall stairs. She suddenly realized that he, of all people, was leaving her right when she needed him the most. She did the only thing she could think of then – she screamed.

“Ahhhhh!!!”

Jeff came flying into the room, as he thought something bad had happened. Needless to say, he was not happy when he discovered Lenore was only screaming because Clay was leaving again. He strolled over and towered over his little sister angrily. “Shut-up!”

Lenore furrowed her brow, took a deep breath, then screamed even louder than she had the last time. She screamed so loud that her face started to go red.

Jeff grabbed hold of her arms and began to shake her out of frustration – but not hard enough to seriously hurt her.

Clay walked in just as Jeff spanked Lenore, and the screaming stopped. “What’s with all the screaming?” He wanted to know.

“A certain someone,” Jeff began, nodding his head in Lenore’s direction, “found out you were leaving again and decided to scream bloody murder ‘cause of it.”

Clay sighed and shook his head as he came up the stairs. He went over and knelt down before his little sister. “Hun, you can’t keep screaming like this,” he told her softly. “You do, and not only is Jeff going to keep spanking you, but you will eventually lose your voice too.”

Lenore hugged him as she began to cry. She didn’t want him to leave, but nor did she want to talk.

Clay hugged her back, while he tried to think up a solution to their problem. “Go pack,” he said finally. He felt her pull back slightly, and noticed her skeptic look. “Only pack what you really need, and make it fast. If you’re too slow I’m leaving without you.”

A huge smile spread across Lenore’s face. She kissed his cheek quickly, then ran off to go pack her things. She just hoped that no one had noticed that she’d all ready had most of her things packed and ready to go.

“Do you honestly think they’re going to let a ten-year-old bratty girl stay in that mansion with all of you?” Jeff asked, eyeing Clay warily.

“Only way to find out is to call,” Clay answered heading for the phone. “And Jeff, she’s not a brat.”

While Lenore packed, Clay argued with the American Idol producers. Fifteen minutes later, they were both settled in the back of the cab waving good-bye to their older siblings.

“I just hope he realizes what he’s gotten himself into,” Jeff muttered after the cab had turned off their street.

“I’m sure he has, Jeff,” Amy said turning to look at him.

“I’ll give him a week – week and a half tops – before he’s wanting to ship her back,” Jeff retorted, heading back into the house.

Amy just shook her head and followed him inside. She couldn’t figure out what his problem was, and why he seemed to resent their baby sister so much. It wasn’t like the accident had been Lenore’s fault. There was no way she had been involved, as they’d had to pull her out of class to tell her what had happened. Though, no one knew exactly when she’d actually gotten to class, which seemed a little suspicious.


After Clay had convinced her that their plane wasn’t going to crash, Lenore had fallen asleep with her head on his shoulder. She slept until they had finally landed in L.A.

Clay had shaken his sister awake, handed her, her knapsack, then taken a hold of her hand and led her off the plane. Once they’d retrieved their luggage, he led her out front to the awaiting limo. He laughed as he saw her eyes practically bulge right out of her head.

Lenore’s jaw hit the ground. We get to ride in that? She exclaimed on the notepad he’d handed her. She saw him nod, and wrote, Wow!

Clay smiled and opened the door for her while the driver stuck their luggage in the trunk. “It’s actually a super, super, super stretch limo,” he stated as they both buckled up. “Normally we’ve the next size up, as we had to fit eleven in here.”

Lenore nodded, only half-listening, as her eyes wandered about taking everything in. she found great amusement in playing with the button that made the middle window, between them and the driver, go up and down.

Clay soon adverted her attention to the built-in-fridge. She grinned at him, now munching on a Snickers bar. He grinned back at her, and ruffled her hair. He declined the piece of Snickers she offered him though, as he was allergic. Though, he was still shocked by her offer - normally she didn’t share chocolate.

Soon they pulled up in front of the huge American Idol mansion. There were now only ten Ford vehicles in the driveway, as Rickey Smith had been voted off the previous week.

Clay got out of the limo, Lenore slowly following as she was too in awe to move any faster than she was. He smiled, watching her, as he took their bags from the driver. “Big house, huh?”

Lenore nodded silently. She couldn’t believe this was where they’d be staying. She threw her knapsack over her shoulder, picked up her suitcase, then grabbed hold of Clay’s hand.

Clay squeezed her hand reassuringly, then led her inside. He was surprised to see a huge “Welcome” sign hanging in the hallway. He knew Lenore had spotted it when he heard her gasp slightly.

Suddenly, all the other contestants came flooding into the large hallway.

Lenore automatically hid behind her brother. Though she was now ten, she was still extremely shy around people she didn’t know. Sure she could act crazy and make you laugh, but that was only after she got to know you a little better.

Clay shook his head slightly. “Hun, there’s no need to be so shy. They’re all nice. I promise.” He noticed she’d a shocked expression on her face, and followed her gaze with his. He chuckled to himself when he saw she’d spotted Ruben. He understood perfectly why she was shocked. He thought of all the times he’d phoned home, only to have her babble on about Ruben. He was the only one who knew of her latest crush.

Lenore stood there gaping at the Ruben Studdard. She knew he too was on American Idol, but hadn’t expected to meet him so soon after her arrival.

“Hey,” Ruben smiled.

Lenore said nothing as she ran over and hugged him.

Clay looked at Ruben and laughed. “You’re her favourite. After me, of course.”

“Of course,” Carmen teased.

Lenore looked back at Clay, still hugging Ruben, and grinned widely.

“Alright, alright,” Clay grinned back. “I know what you’re thinking. Now, c’mon. I’ll show you to our room.”

Lenore reluctantly let go of Ruben, grabbed her bags, then followed Clay upstairs. Yet again her eyes were sent bulging, after walking into their room. To her, all of this was some sort of dream, only it wasn’t meant for her.

After showing her where to put her things, and where the bathroom was, Clay led her down to the kitchen.

“What’s for dinner today?” He asked. “And whose turn was it to cook?”

“Kim Caldwell, and we ordered out for pizza,” Kimberly Locke answered. “No one wanted burnt offerings again.”

Everyone laughed, as they all set about getting things ready for their pizza.

Lenore sat down at the table so she’d be out of everyone’s way. She was quite pleased when Clay and Ruben both sat on either side of her.

They passed the pizza around until everyone had a slice. Whoever wanted seconds had to hurriedly finish the first slice, then fight to get their second slice.

“Does anyone want anything to drink?” Josh Gracin asked as he got up.

“What do we have Josh?” Clay wanted to know.

“Coke, Pepsi, Root Beer, Cream Soda, iced tea, chocolate milk, milk, and water,” Josh recited. “Oh. And orange juice and apple juice.”

Clay looked at Lenore. “What do you want, Hun?” He asked her.

Lenore thought a moment, then wrote: Apple juice. Please.

“One root beer, and one apple juice,” Clay told Josh. “Please.”

Lenore nudged Clay, shoving her notebook at him. Why’s everyone staring at me?

Clay read her message and cast a quick glance around the room. “Honey, no one’s staring at you. If they are, it’s because I haven’t explained the notebook thing to them yet.”

Oh. Okay. She wrote back. She went back to eating her pizza after grinning at Ruben, who, of course, grinned back. She hoped Clay would explain it to them soon, as she didn’t like them staring at her as though she’d two heads.

Once supper was done and over with, everyone went their own ways to do whatever they wanted.

Clay had led Lenore to where the T.V. was, then had gone off with Ruben after kissing her head.

“You sure she’ll be okay by herself?” Ruben asked him.

“Yeah. She’ll be fine,” Clay answered. “She loves her cartoons practically more than anything.”

While Clay was with Ruben, Lenore sat on the couch staring at the T.V. Only, she wasn’t watching T.V. She was thinking about the second last conversation her, and her now deceased, brother Brett had had.

Flashback…..

“Brett,” Lenore said softly entering the room.

“What’s up Squirt?” Brett grinned glancing at her, then going back to his N-64.

Lenore went and sat on the floor next to him, watching him play for a few minutes. “Do you think since I’ve been really good lately, that Mommy and Daddy will let me go see Clay? I mean, ‘cause it’s my birthday and all.” She piped up finally.

Brett paused his game to look at her. “Maybe,” he said. “I mean, it’s not like you’ve told anybody what you want anyway.”

“I want Clay,” Lenore admitted sheepishly. “I miss him a whole bunch.”

“I know yah do Squirt,” Brett laughed. “You tell me that all the time!”

Lenore giggled slightly. “I do, don’t I?”

“Now, if yah wanna answer to your question, go ask Mom and Dad,” Brett told her. “Then report back here and let me know whether or not I need to pack before school.”

Lenore nodded, then ran off to go find their parents. Her hopes were soaring. She knew they’d say yes! She just knew it!

A few moments later, Brett could hear shouting coming from the kitchen. In the next instant, he saw Lenore come flying back into the room in tears. He paused his game again. “They said no, huh?”

Lenore nodded through her tears. She’d never been so upset before in her life.

“Come here Squirt,” Brett told her. He hugged her after she’d sat down next to him again. “Shh. Don’t cry. You know if Clay could be here, he would be.”

Lenore sniffled. “Still not fair Brett. It’s my birthday.”

“I’ll be right back,” Brett said suddenly. “I gotta get something.” He left the room, returning moments later with a gift in his hand. “Here. Happy Birthday.” He handed her the box as he plopped back down.

“What is it?” Lenore queried.

“Your gift Silly,” Brett laughed. “Now open it!”

Lenore didn’t hesitate, as she quickly did as told. Once she’d torn the blue wrapping paper off and opened the box, she gasped. “Wow!” She breathed. She couldn’t believe it. He’d gotten her the nicest locket ever! She opened it and giggled upon seeing a silly picture of the two of them.

“You like it?” Brett wanted to know. “I saved up my money, so it’s real gold.”

Lenore looked at her brother wide-eyed. “Thank-you!” She exclaimed, throwing her arms around him and giving him the biggest hug ever! “I love it!”

Brett smiled; glad to have made her happy, as he hugged her back. “Anytime Squirt. Anytime.”

Lenore kissed his cheek, smiling at him.

“Wanna play Mario Kart ‘till we have to go?” Brett asked.

Lenore nodded. “You bet!” The two of them sat there playing Nintendo until it was time to leave for school.

End of Flashback…..

Lenore looked down at the gold locket that hung around her neck. She popped it open and stared at her brother. “Why? “She thought. “Why didn’t you get out and walk with me like always? Why didn’t I ask you too like always? Why? Why? Why?” She stood up and screamed at the top of her lungs, as tears cascaded down her face.

Clay and Ruben were just about to step outside, when they suddenly heard a shrill scream. They both froze, both wondering whom it was that was screaming.

Suddenly, it was as though a light had gone on. “Lenore!” Clay exclaimed in a whisper. He turned and ran for where he’d left her, with Ruben right behind him.

Lenore stood screaming in the middle of the room she’d been left in, ten American Idol finalists surrounding her, as Clay and Ruben had finally arrived.

Clay hurried over to her and crouched down before her. “Honey, what’s wrong?” He asked. He got no reply, as she went on screaming. It was then that he spotted the open locket hanging around her neck. “When did she get that?” He wondered silently. Just then, the locket turned so that he could now see the picture that had lovingly been placed inside. It was in this very instant that he realized why Lenore was screaming. “You miss him, don’t you?” He said softly. “I’m not the only one you scream for.”

Lenore didn’t stop screaming until after Clay had picked her up. Her screams now turned into heart-wrenching sobs.

Clay hugged her close as he carried her upstairs to their room. Once there, he set her down upon her bed and went to the suitcases to get her pajamas. He helped her get her pajamas on, then tucked her into the bed.

Lenore, who’d calmed down some, lay there staring up at her brother through tears – tears which still insisted upon falling.

Clay smiled down at her as he moved her hair away from her face. “It’ll be alright, Honey,” he whispered soothingly, while playing with her hair. He was sitting on the edge of the bed. “It will be. You’ll see. Trust me.” He kissed her forehead. “Now, how about you get some sleep,” he suggested. “Things will looks brighter in the morning.”

Lenore blinked back the rest of her tears, hugged him, then lay back down again. She gave him a weak smile as he began to sing to her.

“But we are two worlds apart. Can’t reach to your heart. When you say that I want it that way…..” Clay sang softly. Once done, he kissed her head once more and quietly left the room. He then made his way back downstairs, where he knew the others would be waiting for an explanation.

“Is she okay, Clay?” Carmen asked.

“Yeah. She’ll be fine,” Clay answered with a sigh.

“What was wrong?” Josh wanted to know.

“She misses our brother Brett. They’ve been close lately, more so than usual. I believe he may’ve been the one to give her the locket,” Clay explained.

“Oh…..Why doesn’t she talk?” Trenyce queried.

“Same reason, I believe,” Clay replied. “But I’m not sure, as she hasn’t told me yet. She’ll be writing down her answers a lot, so please bare with her. This seems to have hit her, the hardest, but I don’t think it’s just because she’s the baby of the family. I think something else may have to do with it.