- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Anything that's in italics, is either a song or what Lenore has written. Enjoy!

Disclaimer: Only own Lenore & story idea. Thank-you!

Two more days have passed, and now everyone was at the studio preparing for the next American Idol show. Lenore had been led to a seat in the audience, while everyone else had to be taken to make-up and wardrobe. Soon enough, it was time for the show to begin.

Lenore sat in the audience all alone, as obviously, Jeff and Amy hadn’t tagged along, and the ones who would’ve come, were dead. She watched everyone have their turn at performing, and listened to the judges opinions, then stated her own on her notepad. She thought being a judge was cool – though she’d much rather sing. While she waited for Clay and/or Ruben to come out and perform she began to daydream. And it wasn’t a peasant daydream either – it was a day-mare.

Clay had peeked out at the crowd every so often, to check o his sister – who seemed to be enjoying herself. The last time he’d peeked out though, she’d been frowning ever so slightly, which worried him. He heard his name called then, and went out to sing.

“Now, singing The Wings of Tomorrow, here is Clay Aiken,” Ryan announced.

Lenore looked at the stage through her daze and saw Clay make his way out.

Clay stood on the stage as he began to sing.

You must be dreamin’ Or going out of your mind There’s no way of changin’ The world over one night

He spotted Lenore, and realized she was now crying and not paying him any attention. He walked down off the stage and just made it to her as the music break ended. He crouched down before her.

Baby you need to recover From all the things you’ve been through

He kisses her forehead, then stands up, but still looks at her.

Baby you need to discover There ain’t much to do but

He heads back towards the stage as he sings.

Ride, ride, ride The wings of tomorrow Ride, ride, ride To change the world

He finishes, then stands center stage and patiently waits for the judges comments.

Randy Jackson went first. “Dawg, I don’t know why you chose that song. I would have never chosen that song for you, Dawg. You’re so much better than that song made you sound. For me, it was alright, Dawg.”

Clay nodded. “I’d reasons for picking that song,” he stated.

“Your choice, Dawg. Your choice,” Randy said.

Paula Abdul went next. “Clay, I loved it! When you sang to that little girl, it just did something to me!”

“It made you gag,” Simon Cowell interrupted.

“Shut-up Simon,” Paula replicated. “Clay it was the perfect song choice in my opinion.”

“But everything’s not based on your opinion, Paula,” Simon piped up. “Clay, not to be rude, but that was absolutely dreadful. The choice of song, the poor range you had. And singing to that little girl; it was sickening and pathetic.”

Clay remained silent and polite no more. “Look Simon, if I want to go down and sing to my little sister, and make sure she’s okay, I will. I’m not about to just stand up here like nothing’s wrong if I see her crying. Not after all she’s been through this week. Especially not now.”

Simon had actually looked shocked. They hadn’t known it was his sister he’d gone down to sing to, and not just some fan.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t know,” Simon apologized.

Clay nodded, then went over to sit on the stool next to Ryan.

“Wow,” Ryan says. “Cowell got a dressing down for once.”

Clay gave a small laugh, though his eyes were glued to his sister, who was still crying. “Can I?”

Ryan nodded, as he’d seen Lenore crying too.

Clay headed for the stairs. “Come here, Honey,” he said softly.

Lenore got up and ran for him – notebook and all – tears still streaming down her face.

Clay picked her up, then returned to the stool he’d been sitting on.

“You okay, Honey?” Ryan asked her.

Lenore looked at him through her tears and nodded slightly.

“She’ll be fine,” Clay told him.

Ryan nodded, “So, Clay, why’d you pick that song, Buddy?”

“Trying to get a message to someone,” Clay answered. “Though, I don’t know how well it worked.”

“Well, if you liked seeing Simon get told off, and loved Clay’s performance,” Ryan began, “help him Ride The Wings of Tomorrow, by calling 1-886-IDOLS-07. That’s 1-886-943-6507.”

Clay stood up then, and carried his little sister backstage. Once there, he had Ruben turn his microphone off for him, then sat down on the couch – it was there for the idols to sit on while waiting for their turn to shine.

Lenore buried her head into her brother’s chest. S he hadn’t meant to cause any problems, but technically had. Sorry. She scribbled onto the notepad.

Clay read what she wrote. “Honey, you’ve nothing to be sorry for, all right?” He kissed her head.

Lenore nodded slightly, to let him know that she understood.

Clay sat there and held her close for the rest of the show. And when he had to go out again at the end, he brought her with him so that she wouldn’t be all alone backstage.

Lenore was glad he was keeping her close, as she needed him right then.


That night, back at the American Idol mansion, all the contestants were in the living room watching themselves on the show.

“Wow Clay,” Carmen began. “You sure told Simon off.”

Clay shrugged. “I’ll do anything to protect my sister. And if I have to tell Simon off to do it, by means, I’ll do it.”

“How is she anyway?” Josh asked, as Lenore had gone straight to bed upon their arrival at the house.

“She’s confused, tired, and hurt,” Clay replied. “So much has happened to disrupt her, once happy life, in such a short period of time.”

“Poor kid,” Corey Clark stated. “I almost feel sorry for her.”

“Almost?” Clay repeated raising his eyebrows.

Everyone looked to Corey then for an explanation.

“Why can’t she look on the bright side of things?” Corey stated. “I mean, it’s not like she lost her whole family. She still has three of you – and that’s better than none at all.”

Clay grit his teeth together. “She lost her mother and father, Corey. As well as a sister, and a brother, who was one of her best friends. Losing all four of them this soon, has caused her whole world to come crashing down.”

“So what?” Corey said. “You lost them too, but we don’t see you going around acting all weird about it.”

“It’s perfectly normal for her to act this way!” Clay retorted. “everyone reacts differently to these sorts of things. As for me, I’m older and have to look out for her. I’ve no time to feel sorry for myself or to grieve!” I have to be strong for her!”

“But – “ Corey tried.

“Forget it Corey,” Clay snapped. “End of discussion.” He got up and left the room. He went to the kitchen and got a drink, then headed upstairs to his room. As he neared the room he could hear singing. He paused outside of the door to listen.

So many words for the broken heart It’s hard to see in a crimson love So hard to breathe Walk with me and maybe…

Clay couldn’t believe it, his little sister - who hadn’t said a word in a week – was singing! This confused him. For if she refused to talk, how come she’d sing? He stood outside the door listening – and waiting – until the song was done. Once it was over, he knocked once, then walked in.

Lenore had turned the CD player off after she’d heard someone knock at the door. She was relieved to see it was only her brother – though she still hoped no one had heard her sing – him included.

Clay smiled at her, then ushered her into bed and tucked her in. he sat on the edge of her bed and looked at her. “Don’t feel bad if you need me during a show, okay? It’s all right that you need me,” he told her while smiling. “Just don’t go making it a habit.” He leaned down and kissed her forehead. “I love you, Honey.”

Lenore gave him the I-love-you sign and a small smile as he kissed her head again, then left the room.

Clay had gotten an idea while secretly listening to her sing. He went back downstairs to the kitchen, hoping to be able to use the phone in private. He found the number he’d been looking for and dialed the number. “Hello? Simon?”


The following day, while his sister slept, Clay discussed his call to Simon Fuller with the other idols.

“He’s actually okay with your idea?” Trenyce said shocked.

“We both agreed it could be therapeutic,” Clay stated. “Though she won’t talk, she will sing. Maybe by letting her sing, she’ll be able to explain better just how she feels. Also, this may be the only thing to help her see that life does go on.”

“Can she even sing though?” Julia DeMato wanted to know.

“Like an angel,” Clay smiled. “And I’m not just saying that because I’m her brother. She really can sing you guys.”

“So she’ll sing before we do at every results show?” Ruben double-checked. “What happens if you don’t make it to the end?”

“She’ll still get to sing,” Clay replied. “We’ve already worked out all the details; and the judges are okay with it too.”

“What if she doesn’t want to get up and sing for all those people?” Carmen asked.

“She will. Believe me,” Clay answered. “One of her biggest dreams is to sing and perform live.”


That night at the results show, while everyone was getting ready, Clay told Lenore his news.

“Hun,” Clay began, crouching down before her. “How’d you like to sing tonight?”

Lenore’s eyes went huge. Really? She wrote. You mean it? I can sing for everyone?

Clay smiled warmly at her. “Yes.”

Lenore jumped up off the couch and threw her arms about him, almost knocking him over. She loved to sing more than anything!

Clay hugged her back. “Okay, let’s got find you a song to sing and get you into hair and make-up.” He stood up, took hold of her hand, and led her to where she had to go.

Lenore smiled shyly at everyone as she did what she had to. She couldn’t believe she was going to sing in front of everyone – just like Clay did!

Once her hair was done, and her face had been powdered, she was hooked up to the ear pieces she’d need to be able to hear the music. After everything was done, they were ready to go on the air.

Ryan Seacrest walked out onstage and smiled at the crowd. “Welcome to American Idol. We are now live.” He paused. “We’ve a special treat for you tonight. Here, singing live for the first time ever, is Clay Aiken’s baby sister, Lenore parker.”

Lenore gulped, and went out as the music began. She took a deep breath as she saw all the people, then began to sing.

Is it any wonder why I’m scared? If I was a little younger would I care? I’m feeling like the walls are growing stronger I don’t know if this cage can hold me any longer

She felt a little more confident now that she’d begun. Her voice became stronger with the next verse.

You never dreamed you’d have to live your life so guarded ‘Cause they’ll find a way to make you feel discarded

She began to walk along the edge of the stage, as she couldn’t stand still any longer.

I’m not afraid of tomorrow I’m only scared of myself Feels like my insides are on fire And I’m looking through the eyes of someone else

She let her eyes land upon Simon – her favourite judge.

You never thought you’d have to live your life so guarded ‘Cause they’ll find a way to make you feel discarded Things have changed, you’ve become a complication Can’t make it through another day’s humiliation

She took her place center stage once more as she sang the last bit.

And I’m looking through the eyes of someone else

Yeah, oh yeah (Someone, someone, someone else…)

Once she’d finished singing, she smiled shyly, enjoying the standing ovation she received. She then stood there and waited for the judges to comment, as she’d been told they would.

Randy spoke first. “That was – Wow! I can’t believe someone your age has that kind of voice. I’m impressed.”

Lenore blushed slightly as she ducked her head some. It was her way of showing how she felt at the moment.

Paula was next. “You have such a big voice, and are such an adorable little girl. You have so much power in your voice, and great consistency. I loved every minute of your performance.”

Lenore’s smile grew as she gave a slight nod.

Finally it was Simon’s turn. “That was absolutely – amazing! You and your brother are alike. Neither of you look like you can sing as good as you do. But, then you open you mouth, and in your case, it’s as though Angels in Heaven have come down and out through you. Lenore, you sing like an Angel. If you were older, you’d stand a very good chance of winning this competition.”

Lenore was tickled pink by his words – literally. Hearing Simon, of all people, say that meant a whole lot to her.

Clay came out then, causing the fans in the audience to go nuts. He had a proud smile on his face.

“You may want to look behind you,” Simon smiled.

Lenore turned around and spotted her brother heading towards her. She grinned and ran into his awaiting arms.

Clay picked her up and kissed her forehead. “That was amazing, Honey,” he whispered to her.

Lenore beamed, then kissed his nose to thank him for the compliment.


After the show, once it’d been announced that everyone except Charles would be moving on, everybody met up backstage.

Ruben was the first to go over to where Lenore sat waiting for her brother. “Hey,” he smiled. “You were awesome tonight.” He sat next to her. “You know, Simon’s right. If you were 16, you’d probably win this whole thing.”

Lenore gave him a shy smile in return. She still remained silent, as she shyly climbed into his lap. She was happy everyone had liked her performance. But right now, all she wanted to do was go back to the mansion and sleep.

Ruben hugged her close, sensing her tiredness and need to be held. He was slightly surprised, when he looked down moments later, to find her sound asleep.

Clay came over to where they were eventually. “Sorry I took so long,” he apologized. “But there was a line-up for the rest room.”

Ruben shrugged. “It’s all right, man. She wasn’t upset, just happy.”

Clay nodded. “I knew she’d enjoy performing. She’s a true entertainer.”

“So are you, man. So are you,” Ruben told him, as he helped Clay get Lenore into his arms.

Lenore snuggled into Clay, somehow sensing she was in the safety of her brother’s arms.

Clay carried her out to the limo, and buckled her into the seat next to him. He chuckled at the fact that she barely even seemed to notice. Once back at the Idol mansion, Clay carried his sister up to their room and put her to bed. He’d left her in her clothes, only bothering to take her shoes and socks off her feet. he figured her rest was more important than changing into pajamas.