- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Anything in italics is either a song or what Lenore has written. Enjoy!

Disclaimer: Only own Lenore & story idea. Thank-you!

The following week, after her performance, Lenore still kept silent. She knew of the plan Clay had conjured up, and liked it, but didn’t want to have to speak – they’d all have to wait for her to open up her mouth and sing.

Clay was on the phone with his brother, Jeff, when he spotted Lenore outside heading for the front gate. He wondered where she was going.

“Clay? Clay? Clayton!” a voice yelled through the phone, snapping him out of his thoughts.

“Sorry Jeff,” Clay apologized. “Got lost in thought for a moment.”

“No kidding,” Jeff said. “Now, what’s up?”

“Nothing. Just trying to figure out why Lenore’s – LEAVING THE YARD!” Clay answered, yelling the last bit. “Sorry. I gotta go catch her before she wanders off and gets lost.”

“It’s all right,” Jeff told him. “I understand perfectly.”

Clay said good-bye to his brother, hung up, then ran out the front door to go and catch his sister. “LENORE!” He yelled after her. “LENORE!”

Lenore didn’t hear him, as she’d her discman blasting into her ears. She left the yard, and turned left, starting to walk down the sidewalk.

Clay finally caught up to her, and grabbed hold of her shoulder.

Lenore let out a surprised yelp, when she felt someone grab her shoulder. She relaxed once she saw that it was only Clay.”

“Just where do you think you’re going?” Clay demanded.

To find A.J. McLean. She wrote down on a blank piece of paper in her notebook. He lives in California…

“You know you’re not allowed to go anywhere without telling someone first,” Clay scolded.

Forgot. She wrote. And kinda told Josh.

“Well, you didn’t tell me,” Clay replied, not at all amused.

Will you help look?

“No.”

Please?

“No.”

Can I go look then?

“No,” Clay told her. “You can march yourself inside and up to our room. And you can stay there until I call you for dinner.”

Lenore looked at him shocked. He’d never punished her before. BUT!

“It’s either you go upstairs in the next ten seconds, or you don’t sing tonight and I take away your Backstreet Boys CDs.”

Lenore stood there staring at him. She couldn’t believe it! This man was not her Clayton!

“1…2…3…” Clay began to count.

Lenore gave him an upset and very confused look, before darting across the huge yard and into the mansion. Once in their room she flopped down on her bed in tears.

Clay hadn’t mean to be so mean, but he was terrified of losing her too. If it weren’t for the fact he was scared and she hadn’t asked first, he would’ve gladly helped her track down the tattooed Backstreet Boy.


Clay waited a little while, getting his thoughts together, before going up to talk to her. He sighed slightly when he saw that she’d all her BSB CDs stacked in front of her, as though she were trying to protect them. “I’m not going to take them,” he stated as he entered the room.

Lenore scowled at him when she looked up at the sound of his voice. She was not happy with him. He, of all people, had punished her, and she didn’t really understand why.

Clay went over to her bed, and sat on the end of it. “I didn’t mean to yell, Honey. You just really should have asked first,” he explained. “If I don’t know where you are, I’ll thing something bad happened. And I don’t want to lose you too.”

Lenore stared at him. She couldn’t believe that he still cared. She made her way to the end of the bed, then crawled into his lap, so that she was straddling him. She then leaned in and hugged him tight.

Clay rubbed her back softly as he held her. “I’ll tell you what,” he began. “If you can behave the rest of the day, then tomorrow I’ll help you look for A.J. house. Okay?”

Lenore pulled back to look into his eyes, while still straddling him. “Really?” She mouthed.

“Really,” Clay smiled.

Lenore cast him a grin before kissing his nose and hugging him again.


That night at the results show, Lenore got to go with Clay and all the other idols to wardrobe and make-up. Everyone backstage was pleasant and friendly.

“You ready?” Ryan Seacrest asked her on his way out.

Lenore nodded, and flashed him her sweet little girl grin.

Ryan smiled back, ruffled her hair, and then went out onstage. “This is American Idol; I’m Ryan Seacrest. And we are live.” He paused a small moment. “Just so everyone knows, at the start of each results show, Lenore Parker will perform for us. After each performance, the judges will state their opinion, and hopefully won’t make the sweet little girl cry.”

“Oh, get on with it all ready!” Simon interrupted.

“Cowell’s actually impatient to see someone sing. Wow. There’s a first,” Ryan joked. “Now, here for you again tonight, singing Take Away My Pain, is Lenore Parker.”

Lenore came out singing as soon as the music started playing.

He said, “What else can you do, Babe? I guess I won’t be coming home again.” They just took away all my promises Make them take away my pain

Lenore headed for the right side of the stage, and flashed the crowd a quick smile.

His final scene The actor bows And all those years Are gone somehow The crowd applauds The curtain falls

Lenore turns and goes over to the left side, working the stage and charm in her own little way.

I was standing by the edge of the water I noticed my reflection in the waves Then I saw you looking back at me And I knew that for a moment You were calling out my name You took away my hero Will you take away my pain?

Lenore walks to the edge of the stage in front of the judges, and sits down to sing the last bit of the song she’d chosen.

Take away my pain Let the cold inside It’s time to let it rain There’s nothing left to hide Take away my pain I’m not frightened anymore I’m learning to survive Without you in my life 'Till you come knocking at my door…

Lenore sits there staring down at the floor for a moment, before getting up and standing center stage.

The crowd gave her another standing ovation, as did Paula.

Lenore smiled shyly and bowed slightly, as Ryan came over and put his arm around her.

“Girl, that was amazing,” Randy said, once it’d quieted down some. “You work the stage like an old pro.”

Lenore’s smile grew.

“Lenore, you are the cutest lil’ thing I’ve ever seen!” Paula gushed. “The innocence you bring is just – adorable!”

Lenore blushes slightly, and gives a small nod.

Simon smiles at her. “You are truly and amazing little girl with true natural talent. Should you make an album some day, I’ll be the first in line to buy it.”

Lenore giggled and hugged Ryan out of happiness.


True to his word, the next day Clay woke Lenore up bright and early, so that they could go hunting for A.J.’s house.

Some of the other contestants were already up when the two made their way into the kitchen.

“Morning,” Josh smiled. “Have a good sleep?”

Lenore nodded, then hopped up onto a stool at the counter. She poured herself a bowl of Kellog’s Frosted Flakes, and began to eat them dry.

“So, what are you guys doing today?” Josh asked.

Clay put two slices of bread into the toaster. “We’re going to look for Backstreet Boys,” he told Josh. “Apparently, A.J. lives here in California.”

“Ah, you like the Backstreet Boys, eh?” Josh said, looking at Lenore and seeing her nod. “Which one’s your favourite?”

Lenore grabbed her notebook and scribbled him a quick message. Brian and A.J.! Rest are tied!

Josh nodded. “I see. And why are they your favourites?”

Lenore writes him another message. Brian’s eyes and A.J.’s smirk! And they sing good too!

Josh chuckles. “Good reasons, Sweetie.”

Lenore cast him a shy smile, as she’d kind of developed a crush on him too.

After talking to Josh during breakfast, and Ruben and Kim Locke afterwards, the two siblings finally set off on their hunt. They strolled hand in hand down the street – one talking, the other scribbling notes and nodding or shaking her head.

Eventually they stopped off at McDonald’s for lunch, Lenore getting to play for a bit in the Play Land. Part of the reason for that being the fact that she was hoping A.J. would walk in, as he loves McDonald’s. Once she’d grown tired of playing, and realized that A.J. was not going to walk in, she allowed Clay to drag her outside and down the street.

Clay dragged his little sister down the street to the huge toy store he’d spotted on their way into McDonald’s. He smiled at her as he saw her face light up with excitement. “Two toys,” he told her. “Three tops. This place looks a little expensive.”

Three toys and two hundred dollars later, the two left the toy store laughing. Lenore had gotten the Ninja Turtles Battle Shell, Twister Moves, and a spy kit with all the trimmings. Also, unknown to her, Clay had also bought the Ninja Turtles and Backstreet Boys games he’d found. The two games Clay had found came to $48.25 in total. Meanwhile, the Battle Shell cost $40.25; Twister Moves $51.75. And finally, the spy kit cost $59. 75.

They carried the bags as they walked along, making them swing back and forth. They walked until later that afternoon, then turned and headed back towards the America Idol mansion. Though they hadn’t found the Backstreet Boy and house they’d been looking for, they’d still had a whole lot of fun.

That night when Clay tucked her into bed, Lenore thanked her brother for the great day she’d had. She smiled big and sang quietly.

It takes a lot to know what it love It’s not the big things, but the little things That can mean enough…

Clay smiled softly at her in return, then kissed her forehead. “You’re welcome, Honey. And maybe we’ll find A.J. next time.”

Lenore nodded, then rolled over to go to sleep. She smiled to herself when she felt Clay tuck the covers up around her.


Two days later the remaining eight finalists were at the mall shopping. There were still eight contestants, as they didn’t vote anyone off. The reason behind that being, they had to disqualify Corey Clark because of charges that had previously been pressed against him.

Lenore held tight to Clay’s hand, as the group made their way around the crowded mall. If there was one thing she knew right then, was that she did not want to get lost.

“Okay, how about we split up in groups, then meet at the food court for lunch,” Ruben suggested.

“Sounds like a play,” Clay agreed. “Mine’ll have to be a group of three though.” He nods his head towards his little sister.

“I’ll go with Clay and Lenore,” Kimberly Caldwell smiled falsely, before Carmen had a chance to stake claim on them.

“I’ll go with Kim,” Ruben said, smiling at Kimberly Locke.

“I’ll go with Josh,” Carmen piped up. “He can pretend to be my body guard or big brother or whatever.”

Josh laughed, then winked at Lenore, causing her to blush.

Trenyce and Julia also went their own way.

“Let’s go to that dress shop first!” Kimberly C. suggested. “They’ve a dress in there I really like!”

Clay nodded and followed her, dragging Lenore along with him.

Two hours later, they were still in the exact same dress store. Lenore, who’d long since grown bored, was watching people out in the mall walk by. It was while she was doing that, that she thought she saw A.J. McLean. She tugged on her brother’s arm urgently.

Clay looked down when he felt his sister tugging at his arm. He watched as she pointed out into the mall area. He sighed. “Honey, we’ll look around, as soon as Kimberly finds the dress she wants. I promised I’d help her out.”

But! A.J.! Lenore wrote quickly.

“We’re staying,” Clay told her firmly. “And we looked for A.J. yesterday.”

Lenore scowled at Kimberly and him both, then looked back out into the mall hoping to see A.J. again. She let go of her brother’s hand, and headed for the front of the store to look at the stuff they had there. While browsing, she was sure she’d spotted A.J. again. She glanced back at Clay – and knowing he wouldn’t leave until Kimberly was done – she decided to go after A.J. by herself. She was not about to miss out on meeting him all because the stuck-up blond with them couldn’t decide on a dress. She made sure no one was watching her, then very quickly slipped out of the store before anyone could catch her. She hurriedly ran after who she thought was A.J.

A half an hour later, Clay glanced around the store, looking to see where his little sister had gotten to. He could feel panic start to rush through his body when he realized she wasn’t in the store anymore.

Kimberly C. noticed the look on Clay’s face. “What’s wrong Clay?” She asked. “I found the dress I want.”

“Lenore’s gone!” Clay stated simply.

“What? Where’d the bra – I mean, where’d she go?” Kimberly queried, trying to sound concerned. Trying being the key word.

“I don’t know,” Clay answered. “If I did, I’d go and get her.” He pulled his AT&T cell phone out and text messaged the other contestants to let them know of their current situation.

Meanwhile, Lenore sat on a bench somewhere in the mall. It turned out the guy wasn’t A.J. Either that, or she’d lost track of the guy she’d been following originally. “Hope someone finds me soon,” she thinks to herself. “I’m hungry.”

Eventually, Clay spotted Lenore sitting on a bench on the third floor of the mall. He was relieved to have found her, yet still stormed over to where she was sitting angrily. “Just what do you think you’re doing, taking off on me like that?” He demanded.

Lenore looked up at him. Hi! She wrote. I got bored and thought I saw A.J. And I don’t like Kimberly!

“You do not take off on me ever because you don’t like someone and think you see a Backstreet Boy!” Clay snapped. “You know better!”

But! – I! – Just! - Lenore tried to explain on her notebook.

“You’re grounded and losing your BSB CDs until the next results show,” Clay informed her, not at all happy.

Lenore’s eyes go huge, and she opens her mouth to scream.

“You scream and I’ll spank your bottom, Lenore,” Clay said. “I’m not in a good mood right now.”

Lenore narrowed her eyes at him, opened her mouth, and screamed.

Clay whipped her around and smacked her behind. “You were warned,” he reminded her as she started to cry.

Lenore could not believe that the one person she loved more than anything had just spanked her. She just couldn’t! It was so not like her Clayton!