- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Anything in italics is wither a song or what Lenore has written. Enjoy!

Disclaimer: Only own Lenore & story idea. Thank-you!

Four days of being grounded, and not being able to listen to her BSB CDs, had been pure torture for Lenore. She still couldn’t believe that her Clayton had spanked and punished her. She never thought she’d see the day where he’d do that. She was amazed he was still letting her sing tonight, despite the fact she’d been able to keep her one BSB CD hidden from him for a whole day – he’d caught her listening to it and had taken it too away from her. She’d also been told that she’d have to go an extra day without them because of it.

Clay entered the room then. “You ready to go?” He asked her.

Lenore looked up from her colouring book and shrugged. She’d been so bored the past four days, having nothing to do really.

“Well, get your shoes and jacket on anyway, ‘cause we’re leaving now,” Clay told her.

Lenore rolled her eyes, then rolled off the bed. She’d been hoping to finish colouring her picture for her other brother, Jeff, before they’d have to go.

“Hey, be glad I’m even letting you sing tonight,” Clay said. “I originally wasn’t going to let you.”

Lenore was tempted to stick her tongue out at him, but thought better of it, and didn’t. She quietly trudged past him, and went downstairs to get her shoes and jacket on like she’d been told to.

A little bit later they were at the studio, and picking out their costumes. Lenore found a little marine’s outfit and stuck it on, then hid from everyone else. She made sure that no one saw her outfit until she was out on stage. She walked out briskly, then stood at attention until the music started. Once it started she began to move around as she sang. She was glad they never made her rehearse, as she liked to surprise everyone – Simon especially.

Mommy help, protect me from reality Tell me it’s a dream about bestiality Mommy please, just one more bedtime story In which the good guys have the glory

Lenore blinked back her tears, not wanting to cry in front of all the people watching her.

Mommy is it really true? All these cruel things we do Will I do such things when I am full-grown? Will you protect me or am I in this alone?

Lenore stared intently at Simon for the next bit, chilling him to the bone without knowing it.

Daddy, you’re the strongest man on earth Held away the demons since my birth But outside in the streets, those demons are the law And I can’t find your stories heroes anymore

Lenore wipes her eyes, as her unwanted tears had begun to fall. She closes her eyes and sings.

Daddy, today someone told me, may men are stronger than you Mommy, today someone told me, not all your stories are true

Once done, Lenore stood at attention again, her tears being hold back against their will.

The crowd cheered and applauded, some whistling as well.

“At ease, little soldier,” Simon told her.

Lenore stood at ease, like she’d seen Josh do so many times before.

Randy smiled at her, “Dawg, you continue to amaze me. That’s one thing I like about you, I never know what to expect.”

“You’re just full of surprises, aren’t you Sweetie?” Paula asked.

Lenore nodded quickly with a smile.

“I think being able to surprise your audience every time is a wonderful thing,” Paula continued. “It’s a gift that should always be treasured.”

“Before I comment on the song, I just want to know one thing,” Simon began. “Why the marines outfit?”

Ryan came over to where Lenore stood, as she scribbled something on the notepad she’d taken out of her shirt pocket.

Lenore handed Ryan the note, once she’d finished scribbling it down.

“She says,” Ryan started, then read her note aloud. “First two lines of the song…And I like Josh…”

Simon smiled at her, as she blushed. “I thought so,” he said. “And as for your performance, all I can say if this…” He stood up and applauded, unable to show how he felt otherwise.

Lenore beamed, saluted him, then briskly walked off stage.

Backstage, Josh was waiting for her. “Hey,” he grinned. “I liked your performance.”

Lenore blushed again. She went even redder when Josh hugged her and kissed her cheek.

Josh then stood at attention, as did she, and he saluted her.

Lenore saluted him back with a smile, then watched him and the other Idol contestants go out to perform the group song.

In the end, Julia DeMato was voted off.


That Friday, the remaining contestants had an interview to do. Not having anyone to look after Lenore, Clay let her tag along with them.

“Stay here,” Clay told her, after getting her a chair. “Do not go anywhere.”

Lenore nodded with a sigh. She was starting to get a little bored with all the ‘Idol’ stuff. No one had time for her anymore, and when they did it was limited.

Clay handed her a book to read, then headed over to where all the other Idols were.

Lenore, now all alone again, watched everyone as they got ready to be on T.V. She wished she could be interviewed too, but knew because she refused to talk, there was no way her brother would allow it. She’d slow everyone down, by writing all her answers down. She opened her book, read the first page, and lost interest in it. She set her book down on the floor next to her chair, then pulled out her notebook. She began to write a letter…

Dear Brian and A.J. Hi. My name’s Lenore, and I’m only 10 years-old. I am also Clay Aiken’s little sister. Would you believe he took your CDs away from me? An’ all ‘cause I thought I was following A.J.?
My Mommy an’ Daddy died few weeks ago an’ I really miss them ‘em. I been listening to you guys lots - 'cept for the days when Clay had my CDs. He don’t gets it though. I need your CDs to feel better – don’t feel too good without ‘em. Wish I could see you guys – but Clay’s too busy to help me find you. An’ my other big brother an’ sister don’t like me too much right now. Jeff’s mad ‘cause I gots my wish to see Clay, an’ Amy’s mad ‘cause I keep screaming. She don’ts know why I scream – she don’t care – Clay does. I love my Clayton lots an’ lots! Even if he spanked me for trying to find A.J. in the mall an’ not telling him first – tried, but he don’ts listen anymore.
He don’ts know how Mommy, Daddy, Brett, an’ Kayla die either. I do – but he dunno I do. He think Jeff an’ Amy only told me ‘bout it. Here’s my secret – I saw it happen, Brian, A.J. I did. Nobody knows that ‘cause I gots scared an’ ran rest of way to school. Mommy an’ Daddy were mad, that why I wasn’t in car too. An’ I was hurt an’ forgot to get Brett to walk with me like always. An’ Kayla…she never walks with me an’ was being mean anyway.
My birthday, an’ everybody ‘cept Brett was being mean. Only wanted to go an’ see Clay. Mommy an’ Daddy said no an’ I gots mad an’ yelled an’ Daddy spanked me an’ said I keep being bad an’ I ain’t getting nothing for my birthday. Guess I was bad….I still only have gots Brett’s gift. Jeff won’t let me have others.
Daddy an’ I fight in car too an’ he pulled over an’ told me to get out an’ I did. Daddy went through green light an’ big truck hit ‘em an’ I heard ‘em scream an’ saw car go BOOM! That when I gots scared an’ ran. Nobody knows how come I was only one at school.
Please don’t tell nobody! Not even other guys – I gots nightmares ‘cause of it an’ I hates it! Had to tell somebody, an’ nobody else gonna listen – that why I tell you guys.
I love you always!

Love, Lenore

Lenore finished her letter, then closed up her notebook and stuck it in her coat pocket again. She did not want for anyone – especially Clay – to find her letter to her two fave Boys.

Meanwhile, the American Idol contestants were all getting the chance to sing a song of their choice for the audience.

Knowing that Lenore could hear them perfectly from where she sat backstage, Clay began to sing.

Tell me how it feels What’s you’re going through Its life a little too real A little too real Take another breath Take another say Feel a little sad Let it fade away

Lenore gets up and heads for an area backstage where she’ll be able to see her brother and not just hear him.

Help me heal The way you feel Everything you conceal Let me see Wild and free Like a waterfall You know you can have it all Take my hand

Clay spots Lenore and looks at her as he signs the next part/

Help me help you Help me help you Help me help you Help me when you’re blue

Lenore stares back at her brother silently, debating if not telling him all she knew was the right decision.

You will be free some day The pain will go away Just leave it in the past You’re already on your way You know you can have it all Take my hand

Clay walks over to where Lenore stands, and picks her up. He then walks back out to finish his song.

Help me (When you wanna be turned around) Help you (When you wanna be turned around) Help me (When your world is upside down) Help you

By the time Clay had finished singing, Lenore was crying softly into his shoulder. There also wasn’t a dry eye in the studio, or in the hones of the viewers.

Clay rubs her back and kisses her head affectionately. “Let it all out, Honey,” he whispers to her softly. “It’s all right.”

And Lenore did just that. She cried into her big brother’s shoulder for the rest of the interview, and during the limo ride to McDonalds. She stopped once they reached McDonalds, as she was pretty much all cried out.

Clay bought her lunch, then let her play for a bit, hoping she’d feel a little happier afterwards.