- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Anything in italics is either what Lenore has written or a song. Enjoy!

Disclaimer: Only own Lenore & story idea. Thank-you!

Note: This is the most important chapter!

It was the New Year, and the Backstreet Boys were crowded around A.J.’s television, waiting for American Idol to come on.

“You think she’ll be there?” Nick asked. “What if she moved back home?”

“Frack, if you saw the way she glows when she sings, you’d know, there is no way she’d give this up for anything,” Brian stated. “Now, relax, would yah?”

Nick sat down and shut up just as the program came on.

The five Boys watched silently as the music to one of their songs began to play, as the young girl came out on stage.

The girl was wearing faded blue jeans, and a BSB shirt, that looked homemade and was slightly faded. She stood center stage, then began to sing as pictures of her deceased family members flashed across the screen behind her.

So many words for the broken heart It’s hard to see in a crimson love So hard to breathe Walk with me and maybe….

The girl walked to the front of the stage.

Lights of night so soon become Wild and free, I can feel the sun Your every wish will be done, they tell me

The Boys watch as the girl stares directly into the camera.

Show me the meaning of being lonely Is this the feeling that I need to walk with? Tell me why, I can’t be there where you are There’s something missing in my heart

“That’s her!” Nick exclaims suddenly.

“You sure Frack?” Brian asked.

“Yes! Absolutely, positively, a gazillion, billion, google percent sure!” Nick says excitedly.

They watched as the screen behind the girl suddenly stayed on a picture of her father.

Kevin felt a lump in his throat as he watched her sing his part in silence.

Life goes on as it never ends Eyes of stone observe the trends They never say forever gaze if only Guilty roads to an endless love (Endless love) There’s no control Are you with me now? Your every wish will be done

Kevin wiped his tears away, as he saw the little girl on the screen wipe hers.

They tell me…. Show me the meaning of being lonely Is this the feeling I need to walk with? (Tell me why) Tell my why, I can’t be there where you are There’s something missing in my heart

The Boys all sat wiping the tears from their eyes as they watched her sing.

There’s no where to run I have no place to go Surrender my heart, body, and soul How can it be you’re asking me to feel the things you never show

“Hey, Bone? Why’s she singing the whole song?” Brian asked. “I thought they’re only supposed to sing part of it.”

“I dunno Rok,” A.J. answered. “Maybe there’s a reason they’re letting her sing the whole song.”

You are missing in my heart Tell why can’t I be there where you are

The Boys were shocked at the anger and hurt they heard in her voice as she sang those two lines louder than she had the rest of the song.

Show me the meaning of being lonely Is this the feeling I need to walk with? (Tell me why) Tell me why, I can’t be there where you are There’s something missing in my heart

The girl closed her eyes momentarily, then sang the chorus one last time.

Show me the meaning of being lonely (Being lonely) Is this the feeling I need to walk with? Tell me why, I can’t be there where you are There’s something missing in my heart

“Are you guys thinking what I’m thinking?” Howie asks the other four.

The other Boys nod silently.

“I’ll make the calls,” Kevin offers.

The other Boys nods once more, and wait to hear what the judges have to say about her performance.


As soon as the song had ended, Clay immediately went out and scooped his sister up into his arms. He held her close, and buried his face into her hair, as his own tears began to fall.

Everyone, including the three judges and Ryan, stood to give her a standing ovation. And what was even more shocking than Simon giving her a standing ovation, was the fact that he too looked to have tears in his eyes.

Once they were both calm, Clay set his sister back down and dried her eyes. He then turned her about to face the judges, who were still applauding her.

“Dawg, you had me from the very first note, to the very last note,” Randy smiled. “This was by far the best performance you’ve given.”

Paula wiped her eyes. “Lenore….I’m amazed at how amazing you sounded. I bet if the Backstreet Boys were watching right now, they’d be very proud of you….”

Lenore smiled at the very thought of that. She always did wonder if they were watching the show.

“I’m not normally a fan of boy bands….but for once, I liked a boy band song very much,” Simon smiled at her. “I agree with Paula and Randy. If the Backstreet Boys are watching the show right now, I’m sure they’ll agree with me when I say; they’ve forever lost their song to you. And not only was tonight your best performance, it was definitely the best performance I’ve seen from anyone throughout this entire season.”

Lenore’s whole face lit up at Simon’s words. She quickly got off the stage and hugged him tightly.

Simon smiled as he hugged her back. “Normally, I don’t like the thought of children in this business; but you are my only exception to that thought. You actually belong on that stage.” He kissed her cheek after she’d kissed his. “Now, go back to your brother before I ruin my image anymore, and so we can get on with the show.”

Lenore giggled, then ran back to her brother, who was now smiling ever so proudly at her.

Clay scooped his little sister back up into his arms, then carried her backstage.

Once they were backstage, the remaining idols applauded Lenore and her amazing performance.

“Kiddo, I think you’re the only one who is ever going to have Simon’s full respect,” Josh told her smiling, as he ruffled her hair.

Lenore blushes slightly, then squirms down from her brother’s arms, and runs over to Ruben.

Ruben smiled and pulled her into his lap and hugged her like he always did after she’d performed.

Lenore sat quietly with Ruben the rest of the night, except for when he had to go out and perform.